Beginnings and Ends

Introduction:
Hi everyone. A bit of back story here. You probably don't know me, but I'm Tyki. My pokemon claim to fame is that I am (was) one of the LU tier leaders back at Pokemon Online. I know, I know, but hear me out. So, close to the end of BW2, I decided that I would delve a bit into RU, as I wanted to have knowledge of both tiers and see how they work compared to each other. I started off by going to #RarelyUsed on IRC and met a bunch of cool guys including Molk, Texas, Blunder, etc who I was able to talk to about RU stuff. I decided that I would build my first RU team specifically for RU, so that I could get a better feel for the tier. I wanted to use a bunch of pokes that I had very little experience with in RU/LU, and I think I did so well.

For my peak, I get over 1700 on the ladder with an undefeated record. I don't have a screen shot because I planned to go higher, but I didn't due to lack of time.

The theme of the team is Spike Stacking offense, though in a bit of my own way with some more bulk than usual. Hopefully you guys enjoy this team; I had a lot of fun using it.

The Team:

A Closer Look:

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Rock Climb
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

As many of the well known RU players will tell you, Tauros is (was?) one of the most underrated pokes in the tier. With Sheer Force and Fire Blast, it becomes one of the best wall breakers with little investment. Rock Climb is the hard hitting STAB move, getting a boost from Sheer Force with only a small chance to miss. Rock Slide also has this boots, and Earthquake gives good coverage. Fire Blast will take out the main walls that Taruos will face in the tier: Tangrowth and Steel Types. With its very nice 110 base speed, Taruos is the glue that holds together this team, not really having any awful match ups. It also is immune to Ghost; a type that this team is weak to.

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Qwilfish is in my opinion the best spiker in the tier, and one of my favorite pokes to use in general. With Intimidate, Qwilfish is able to survive most physical attacks thrown at it, and hit back with a Thunder Wave, making it easier for my offensive pokes to get off a sweep. It also has Taunt to prevent hazards and other annoying moves. It also absorbs Toxic Spikes, which is a plus. What I like the most about Qwilfish is its synergy with Uxie, the other half of my defensive core. I honestly could throw Qwilfish and Uxie on any team I make and I can find a way to work with it, they just work well together. I honestly don't remember why my EVs are as they are, speed creep on something I think.

Galvantula (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain

Another one of my more "unorthodox" pokes on this team. Galvantula is my Scarfer for this team, and is it a good one. Electric Bug have very good coverage in RU, so knowing that 108 Speed with a Scarf was enough for me, I decided to go with ModeScarf Galvantula, to boost its power so that I could do some mini-sweeps. Galvantula is the poke I needed to take on the fast Flying types and bulky Water types in the tier, though Unlike Rotom-C, I wanted the Bug type STAB for the team, while having some Grass as a coverage move. Pretty straight forward poke. People should use this guy more.

Uxie @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SDef / 104 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Psychic

The other half of my defensive core with Qwilfish. Uxie is used very often, and for good reason. It has very solid base stats, a great move pool and immunity to Ground. I'm running a standard Uxie set, enough speed to out speed Emboar and the rest into HP and Special Defense, to be the mirror to Qwilfish. It runs Stealth Rock to compliment Spikes and also runs Thunder Wave to keep my opponents pokemon slower than mine. The reason for this comes in the next two pokes I have. U-Turn is a nice pivot move, and Psychic is a nice STAB move. Standard Uxie, not much else to say.

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

This team is looking a lot like a NU team with some RU pokes thrown in. -Molk 2013
I'll admit it, I wanted to use as many new pokes as I could in this team. This didn't stop it from being good. In fact, I (Warning: This is debatable) turned a good portion of #RarelyUsed into Sawk users after explaining what it does what Gallade and Hitmonlee cannot. What makes Sawk goods are two of its abilities: Sturdy and Mold Breaker. I'm using a bulkier Sawk spread here, because I wanted a bulky Fighting type, so I opted for Sturdy. The idea of this set it to come in (preferably with no hazards, but I have no spinner) and proceed to hit as hard as possible with a Banded move. The coverage is pretty good. This is where the Thunder Waves come in. If Sawk is faster with this little speed investment, it will almost always guarantee two kills if played right. Do I recommend Sawk for every team? No, though on some teams it really shines.

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

With every team with Spikes, there is a spin blocker, and I decided to opt for Misdreavus. I wanted a bulky Ghost (I still miss Cofagrigus), so that ruled Rotom out, and I hate Dusknoir so that was ruled out. I didn't feel like using Spiritomb, so I decided to use Missy. I used really boring EVs because I hate them, and also because of the TWave support I have from by defensive core. The coverage here is pretty obvious, and I opted for Calm Mind over Nasty Plot simply because it gives me more bulk (don't crit me pls). Pain Split also makes it deceptively bulky, and it has an ok special attack after only 1 CM. Against Kabutops, it doesn't do awfully, though it struggles more than it should admirably. Solid spin blocker, solid damage, solid poke.

Importable:
Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Rock Climb
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 156 Def / 96 Spd
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Galvantula (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Compoundeyes
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Giga Drain

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 152 SDef / 104 Spd
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Psychic

Sawk (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Pain Split
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Thanks for reading guys. Feel free to use this team if you want, though now that the gen is pretty much over I felt that I needed to post it. See you guys later.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)