Battle Tree Discussion and Records

What would compliment a 252 Atk/Spd Adamant Buluy in Multi Battle? Probably with Mega Kang + Talonflame Kiawae as a partner.

I've tried a couple of different things to varying success. I first tried a TR team with Oranguru/Gigalith/Celesteela/Hariyama but Gigalith is just too meh and has too many bad matchups to be used as a staple core like that.
Personally I'd have led with Hariyama for the Fake Out, as Guts-boosted Close Combat is a nuke in itself and a viable candidate for Instruct (frequent stat cuts aside.)

While I plan to play around with Gigalith a lot myself (at least post bank) I doubt I'd be leading with one as doubles doesn't give nearly as much leeway in leads as triples, which is where I used it. I would probably use an Assault Vest variant since it's bulky as fuck with one, especially in sand.

Whats so good about TR Celesteela?

I was thinking of Oranguru Hariyama in the lead and for the mentioned Fake out and Alolan Marowak with Mega Slowbro as a sencod TR setter with great ofensive capavilities.

Yesterday, I was battling Red in fight 50, and he used Charizard4, and a Venusaur and Blastoise. I did not think anything of it until someone in the discord just happened to mention that Red only got Set1 and Set2 pokes. I checked the current file and it agreed thta he only got Set1+2.

I didn't take a video because I had won an otherwise nondescript match, but Battle 50 Red can at least use Set4 Charizard.

I am having a pretty good amount of success so far with this set up:

M-Metagross (jolly)
- hammer arm
- zen headbutt
- meteor mash
- bullet punch

vikavolt (modest)
- energy ball
- bug buzz
- thunderbolt
- volt switch

toxapex (bold) - regenerator
- scald
- toxic
- haze
- recover

I'm leading with metagross and the only thing that has provided any amount of difficulty so far has been sash gengar. And even with sash gengar I just swap to toxapex and end up with no trouble. This is one of the easier teams to get I think, I ran the standard level with a band metagross just to get the bp for the mega stone, because all the moms are readily available and there are no legends or UB needed.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yesterday, I was battling Red in fight 50, and he used Charizard4, and a Venusaur and Blastoise. I did not think anything of it until someone in the discord just happened to mention that Red only got Set1 and Set2 pokes. I checked the current file and it agreed thta he only got Set1+2.

I didn't take a video because I had won an otherwise nondescript match, but Battle 50 Red can at least use Set4 Charizard.
Will have to double-check the tables myself, but according to the Serebii Trainer Catalogue, Red and Blue have access to all four sets of the species they use.

So I've been trying out Pelipper, Xurkitree, Grenja-A. It's great but I feel like it has some serious flaws as best its done is 52, and I feel like that was some serious luck. The lack of physical attack power means special walls are going to be a serious pain. Z-Sunny Day will also ruin everything. My biggest problems were Blissy /Umbreon/ Arcanine/ and Shiinotic.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
248HP/130SpDef/130Def
-Hurricane
-Scald
-U-turn
-Roost

Xurkitree @ Focus sash
252SpAtk/252Spd/4SpDef
-Volt Switch
-Thunder
-Toxic
-Energy Ball

Greninja-A @ Life Orb
-Water Shuriken
-Dark Pulse
-Ice Beam
-U-turn

First issue is that I need to breed a better Pelipper,as its only above average potential, but that's not a big deal as Pelipper already outperforms Greninja-A in every battle. Xurkitree is great but it needs a wider range of moves. I tried Tail Glow and every time I used it I lost due to Xurkitree getting murdered. This might be due to his garbage HP and SpDef. If he could learn a ground or steel attack he would be way better.

Next up is how disapointed I am with Greninja-A. I feel like protean would give it way more versitality, when the Pokemon Bank comes I would switch to

Greninja @ Life Orb
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse
-Gunk Shot
-Low Kick

I also think the team might work a lot better in doubles with Tailwind instead of U-turn. I'm not sure what I would run, maybe Dugtrio-A or Dhelmise. I also see myself switching Xurkitree for Rachiu-A. It losses the beast boost, but I found that rarely mattered and better coverage and speed would be worth far more.

So after losing to a series of thunders and blizzards that I calculated to have an 8% chance of succeeding from a certain Rotom-F on a trick room team that ran TWO trick room leads at battle 48 I'm kind of back to the doubles teambuilding drawing board.

The Kingdra addition to the Koko/Pelliper core is solid and I want to play with that. Leaves a fourth slot unfilled. I want something slow and bulky. I'm kind of enamored with the potential of Gluttony Figy Muk. It's got high BP STABs that fuck over the things Kingdra can't muddy water to death (mostly bulky grass types, Ludicolo in particular) or won't be dealt with by Koko's thunder spam. The only issue those two really have is maybe Gastrodon4, and I have a spare moveslot on Koko that I could replace with Grass Knot for that.

Celesteela's also good in the rain except for the fact that it adds another electric weak and my only resist is a frail offensive mon. Scizor is another theoretically good option, but not having tutors really, really hurts it. And of course Metagross could be an option.

Im in the same position with the last slot for that rain team. So far the Hariyama + Oranguru went great, but i dont like to have 3 weaknesses to Dark (With Alolan Maro and Slowbro). I was thinking in replacing it with an Azumarril that i caught with the Island Scan, but i dont want to have 3 physichal swepers and no Trick Room setters.

Kietharr what iteam are you using in Koko? I was thinking in LO but then what Kingdra would use?

Ran into Salazzle2 which is Disable Encore spam with Protect which is super annoying, so preserve your mons which hit it super effectively against janitors just in case.

Im in the same position with the last slot for that rain team. So far the Hariyama + Oranguru went great, but i dont like to have 3 weaknesses to Dark (With Alolan Maro and Slowbro). I was thinking in replacing it with an Azumarril that i caught with the Island Scan, but i dont want to have 3 physichal swepers and no Trick Room setters.

Kietharr what iteam are you using in Koko? I was thinking in LO but then what Kingdra would use?
Definitely, definitely Draconium Z for Kingdra. Gives you a dragon gem draco meteor that doesn't even reduce spA. I think as a rule, any pokemon that carries a high BP move with a downside has potential as a Z-move user.

Last edited:
Definitely, definitely Draconium Z for Kingdra. Gives you a dragon gem draco meteor that doesn't even reduce spA. I think as a rule, any pokemon that carries a high BP move with a downside has potential as a Z-move user.
I didnt thinkg of that. Thanks a lot. I realize that Horsea shows on Wednsday, so i have to wait to ge one. I was thinking in Draco, Hydro, Muddy Water and Protect. Ice beam is an option buy Hydro hits harder if neutral even if Ice beam is super efective but is less acurate. Koko with Thunder, Grass knot, Protec and Dazzing. I want to see what Mega has potential in this team. I think that the teams need a counter to electrics, like i said Mega Manetric is a big problem.

I'm curious to know why you feel a backup setter is so important in doubles. I don't necessarily disagree but it's never been a practice I've followed and I'm interested in your take. I also have not seen other successful grind-worthy TR doubles teams run two setters as it passes on valuable offensive coverage, which is what enables TR teams to end facility battles so quickly.

Team Rocket Elite

Data Integration Thought Entity
is a Top Researcher Alumnus

There are 2 Reds. One version of Red uses Set 1 and Set 2 Pokemon. The other uses Set 3 and Set 4 Pokemon.

Just looking for info here..
Does anyone know if i can receive the 50 battle in a row prize, after i finished another streak with 20?
Because i finished the 50 battle in doubles, and before that finshed 20 for the single.
My reward was just for the 20 i did yesterday.. so i wanted to know if it override the last reward, or if i will get it tomorrow.

So, anyone got figured out any teams for the Double/Multi 50 streak? I beat Single and Royal, but am stuck here with not much luck :/

I think it is worth noting that for later Battle Tree purposes in singles, a modest Xerkitree hits 135 speed, which is 202 with a scarf. This outpaces any pokemon without a speed buff or a scarf that you can face.

Furthermore, if running this set, I am thinking 4/0/4/252/4/244 is best for singles. This sets Xerkitree's speed to 134, which is 201 with a scarf, outspeeding things by 1. It does lead to a tie with a choice scarfed Skarmory, but I am far too busy laughing at said Skarmory to take it seriously.

A modest Xurkitree at +1 is ludicrously powerful with Thunderbolt that basically nothing can take a neutral hit. It will almost certainly draw in ground/grass/dragon pokemon in, which could be a feast for someone like Celesteela.

In fact, looking at it now, Celesteela with either Xurkitree or Tapu Koko(immune to both of his weaknesses) seems like it could be incredibly dominant in the Maison.

I think that all of the UBs except Guzzlord are great in BT. Beast Boost is one of those too good to pass up kind of abilities.

I had an idea for a pre-bank legal ground type to add to the Koko/Pelliper/Kingdra doubles core, Mamoswine. Immune/normal to Pelliper's weaknesses, has strong priority and has some versatility. Can run it sashed (immune to both hail and sandstorm is a huge bonus for him as a sasher) or scarfed. Switch in to an electric attack, EQ, then if your sash is triggered throw out an ice shard.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pardon my absence the past few days. Busy busy travel time, etc.

But what a time to return! First, huge thanks to Team Rocket Elite and turskain. Now the theorymoning can begin in earnest! And with Mega Evolutions and Z-powers on opposing Pokemon, the changes between the Maison and Tree look MUCH bigger than those between the Subway and Maison. Pretty darn exciting.

As for bottlecap hunting to get your Tree team ready, I've been pleased with festival plaza. Even if you are unlucky and don't get a lot of high star "Treasure Hunt" lottery booths naturally, remember that you can talk to trainers that appear and purchase a high star booth from them. It's 1500 festival coins for a 5-star booth, which isn't cheap, but since farming is so easy (internet + endlessly joining type effectiveness test missions = quick coin earning), and you don't need to spend coins to use a lottery, you can end up with a decent daily source of bottlecaps without too much effort. Exactly what the optimal balance of booths is is surely a matter for debate (EV maxing and purchasable level ups sure are convenient), but though I'm still a ways from the actually finishing the main storyline, I feel confident that bottlecaps should not be too big of a bottleneck.

ok i love this poke so much, it basically carried me throughout the battle royal and now the battle tree.

Araquanid @ Life Orb
Ability: Water Bubble
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Waterfall or Filler
- Basically Filler

Pretty much with Max attack and Water Bubble, pretty any non-water resist or frail poke is going to get KO'd by Liquidation and if they live, in many cases another Liquidation or Leech Life will finish them off easily. Araquanid knows Lunge but I prefer Leech Life cause of the ability to regain health and keep on going. I have Waterfall just in case that I lose Liquidation PP which its only slighter weaker but still hits like a freaking truck. I really don't know what to put on the 4th slot cause in reality you just going to spam Liquidation for kills and Leech Life for recovery, though I run Crunch cause wynaut. You can use Choice Band but I do like switching moves especially when Araquanid can easily get HP back after spamming Liqiodation.

I ran Max Attack so it basically hits like a truck, nah in reality like a freight train.I was going to run speed but I feel like running HP is way better because it has the survivability to tank hits, especially from the special side. For teammates I suggest mons that can switch in and handle its weaknesses of Electric, Flying, and Rock (mainly physical ones) so pokemon like Mudsdale for example can switch on Electric and Rock types and threaten them with stab earthquake. Also lead with this thing, because a lot of times its basically a OHKO or a 2HKO with Liquidation.

Overall good mon, try it out.

I think it is worth noting that for later Battle Tree purposes in singles, a modest Xerkitree hits 135 speed, which is 202 with a scarf. This outpaces any pokemon without a speed buff or a scarf that you can face.

Furthermore, if running this set, I am thinking 4/0/4/252/4/244 is best for singles. This sets Xerkitree's speed to 134, which is 201 with a scarf, outspeeding things by 1. It does lead to a tie with a choice scarfed Skarmory, but I am far too busy laughing at said Skarmory to take it seriously.

A modest Xurkitree at +1 is ludicrously powerful with Thunderbolt that basically nothing can take a neutral hit. It will almost certainly draw in ground/grass/dragon pokemon in, which could be a feast for someone like Celesteela.

In fact, looking at it now, Celesteela with either Xurkitree or Tapu Koko(immune to both of his weaknesses) seems like it could be incredibly dominant in the Maison.
What's a good final member that helps beating those fast electric and fire types? I was using chomp but a few round later a rotom-f swept me.

What's a good final member that helps beating those fast electric and fire types? I was using chomp but a few round later a rotom-f swept me.
I can't say off the bat without knowing what sets you are running(especially on Celesteela), but Nihilego has incredible special bulk, an amazing speed tier, and can generally shut down almost any electric(due to them being predominantly special)or fire type.

Nihilego, generally, also makes a good partner to Celesteela. Celesteela resists 3 of its 4 weaknesses in steel and fairy and is immune to the 4 times weakness while Nihilego resists Celesteela's most worrisome weakness as she can run earthquake. The lightnings that earthquake doesn't hit are almost all murdered by Nihilego's power gem.

Ok thoughts on Multi Battle team with Kiawae's Kangaskhan3 or 4 and Talonflame3 or 4 (can't tell which is which yet) paired with Kartana

Kartana @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

and maybe a Tapu Bulu but I don't really know what to put here. Thoughts on this set and a potential replacement for Bulu?

WTF

I just had the greatest fun in pokemon sun since starting it - unlocked battle tree today so I thought "well lets see just how much my ingame team sucks!"
Hint: It sucks badly. All random EVs, probably not even fully EV'd, the crappiest natures you could imagine (I caught gems such as brave starmie and modest pinsir) and no good items.

Well. I got to battle SE-VEN-TEEN by completely haxing my way through the battle tree! Team was like
(don't care about format here since I don't expect anyone to try this :D)

serious Mimikyu @ spell tag, shadow claw/play rough/shadow sneak/thunder wave
sassy Incineroar @ Incinium, Darkest Lariat/Leech Life/Flare Blitz/Cross Chop
lax? Vikavolt @ Life Orb, Bug Buzz/Thunderbolt/Volt Switch/Roost

Expected number of wins: 1. Deserved number of wins: 1. Actual number of wins: 16..!
Thunder wave Mimikyu is actually legit and won me whole battles. Yes, Mimikyu actually solo'd battles. When it didn't, it paralyzed everything and vikavolt or incineroar critted their ways through the enemy :D

battle tree even tried to counter my hax skill with quick claw confuse ray magmortar (...wtf?! :D) but Mimikyu simply ignored its confusion and haxed magmortar to death, just like his teammates.

And the best part: Only the hax god himself finally managed to beat my carefully bred full competitive team!
MOODY GLALIE. GOT TWO SHARP EVASION BOOSTS in the first two turns and only accuracy drops that it didn't care about since it had hail+blizzard :'D
I feel this was actually a nice end to this skillfull streak and it's nice how only the haxiest thing on earth (probably his 4th move was sheer cold ;D) beat this.

So yeah, tl;dr: got 22 BP for havin no skill at all^^ Now I can start seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)