Basic OU Team (First Ever RMT)

Let me first preface this RMT by saying I've never created a team before for competitive use. Keep that in mind when rating my team and giving me advice.

I really have no idea about how to create a team, so I just tried to minimize my weaknesses and use the basic movesets I found on Smogon.

Anything that's slashed in, I need help with deciding. If I need to fix the formatting, just tell me, and it'll be done in a jiffy.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

The Team At A Glance

A Closer Look

Infernape @Choice Band
Nature:
Jolly | Ability: Blaze
EV:
6 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
Moves:
Flare Blitz | Close Combat | Mach Punch/Stone Edge | U-turn

My favorite Pokemon. This is the set I use for the Battle Subway, and it works pretty well. Can scout with U-Turn or hit tremendously hard with it's two STAB attacks. Mach Punch is for stuff that outspeeds Infernape. If Mach Punch isn't needed, I could go with Stone Edge.

Bronzong
@Leftovers
Nature:
Sassy | Ability: Levitate
IV:
2 Speed
EV:
252 HP/ 84 Atk/ 80 Def/ 92 SpD
Moves: Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Gyro Ball | Hidden Power Ice

Changed from Ferrothorn thanks to the suggestion of New World Order. Used as a counter to Sandstorm Teams and Dragons. Very bulky Pokemon.

Jelli
cent
@ Leftovers
Nature:
Calm | Ability: Water Absorb/Cursed Body
EV:
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
Moves:
Recover | Scald | Toxic | Taunt
Great Special bulk and it is immune/resists Fighting and Fire, two types that Bronzong struggle with. Can cripple a Physical attacker with Scald, or slowly kill a Special Attacker with Toxic, while Recovering off the damage.

Latios @Life Orb
Nature:
Timid | Ability: Levitate
EV:
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Speed
Moves:
Dragon Pulse | Psyshock | Hidden Power Fire | Recover

I needed a Special Attacker, so who better to choose than this beast. Works well with Infernape, as it can come in on Ground attacks thanks to Levitate and take no damage. The moveset can be changed if need be. I wasn't really sure about a couple of the slots.

Dra
gonite @Lum Berry
Nature:
Adamant | Ability: Multiscale
EV:
252 HP/44 Atk/212 Speed
Moves:
Dragon Claw/Outrage | Dragon Dance | Roost | Fire Punch

Dragonite was already a very good Pokemon, but with its DW Ability, it has taken another step up in awesomeness. It's super bulky and can take a lot of hits, but also hit back hard after a couple DD boosts. Roost helps it get back to Multiscale territory.

Magnezone @Air Balloon
Nature:
Timid | Ability: Magnet Pull
EV: 36 HP/252 SpAtk/220 Speed
Moves:
Flash Cannon | Hidden Power Fire | Charge Beam | Substitute

Basically, I ran out of ideas here. Just went with a good Pokemon to help with having two Dragons. Traps Steels, and kills them with HP Fire. Nothing more to add really.

Final Thoughts

As I said before this was the first team I ever tried to create, so forgive me if it's boring and standard, because that's what I'd like to start with before I get really into competitive battling. I'll take any and all suggestions and comments, so don't hold back.

Thanks in advance for reading and helping me out.

You should give Dragonite earthquake because 3 of your 6 pokemon are weak to electric types, and you need a good counter. Anything with rock slide and/or stone edge could get stuff like Zapdos, but that is not as important as earthquake Dragonite.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You should give Dragonite earthquake because 3 of your 6 pokemon are weak to electric types, and you need a good counter. Anything with rock slide and/or stone edge could get stuff like Zapdos, but that is not as important as earthquake Dragonite.
not really, neutral coverage is more important than hitting stuff SE. This team is weak to sand. I think Ferrothorn isn't doing much and you should consider replacing it for a Bronzong.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitiate
SAssy
252 Hp/ 84 Atk/ 80 Def/ 92 SpD/ 2 Speed IVs
Stealth Rock
EQ
Gyro Ball
HP Ice

not really, neutral coverage is more important than hitting stuff SE. This team is weak to sand. I think Ferrothorn isn't doing much and you should consider replacing it for a Bronzong.

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Levitiate
SAssy
252 Hp/ 84 Atk/ 80 Def/ 92 SpD/ 2 Speed IVs
Stealth Rock
EQ
Gyro Ball
HP Ice
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mind explaining why Ferrothorn isn't doing much? I'm not questioning it, I'm just curious.

Your team is cool, but it struggles against some of the most prominent offensive Pokemon in OU, namely Excadrill and Reuniclus. To fix your Excadrill problems, I think a good option would be to use Skarmory over Ferrothorn. You already have a ton of Drizzle team counters between Jellicent and your Dragons, so Ferrothorn is fairly replaceable. Skarmory makes a good alternative because it can up Spikes to help Latios and Dragonite, but it counters Excadrill far better than Ferrothorn. Your team could really benefit from a sound Excadrill counter so I'd try out Skarmory if I were you.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Reuniclus is still a big problem. Jellicent, who would otherwise wall Calm Mind Reuniclus, lacks Taunt to prevent it from setting up. I would use Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Recover on Jellicent to beat Calm Mind Reuniclus, and also use Cursed Body to pretty much ensure it can't touch you, since it'll be useless when Psychic / Psyshock is disabled. Might want to use a spread of 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe so that you can hit 4 Spe Skarmory with Taunt before it sets up Spikes.

You still lack a check for Trick Room Reuniclus other than outstalling turns of Trick Room through clever switching. It may not have a lot to set up on without taking a huge hit, but once it sets it up, you're looking at four long turns of being behind the 8-ball. Since your team lacks Stealth Rock, why don't you try a bulky Chople Berry Tyranitar over Infernape? Mach Punch Infernape becomes a lot less necessary once you have a solid Excadrill counter, and your team, like all teams, could really benefit from Stealth Rock support. Chople Berry lets you take a hit from Reuniclus and hit it hard with Crunch, which should be enough to take it out since Reuniclus will likely have taken a hit to set up Trick Room. Your team also benefits a lot from Tyranitar since it can Pursuit Latios before it puts a hurt to your team. I'd use something like Careful 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with Stealth Rock / Pursuit / Crunch / Superpower so that you can hit Ferrothorn and opposing Tyranitar.

Might want to use Roost over Thunderbolt on Latios since he's your go-to switch in against Rotom-W, so you definitely want him staying alive as long as you can. On Magnezone, I'd use Charge Beam / Hidden Power Fire / Flash Cannon / Substitute so that you can hit everything from Ferrothorn to Latias while still being able to boost your Special Attack once you trap something like Scizor.

Your team is cool, but it struggles against some of the most prominent offensive Pokemon in OU, namely Excadrill and Reuniclus. To fix your Excadrill problems, I think a good option would be to use Skarmory over Ferrothorn. You already have a ton of Drizzle team counters between Jellicent and your Dragons, so Ferrothorn is fairly replaceable. Skarmory makes a good alternative because it can up Spikes to help Latios and Dragonite, but it counters Excadrill far better than Ferrothorn. Your team could really benefit from a sound Excadrill counter so I'd try out Skarmory if I were you.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird

Reuniclus is still a big problem. Jellicent, who would otherwise wall Calm Mind Reuniclus, lacks Taunt to prevent it from setting up. I would use Shadow Ball / Will-O-Wisp / Taunt / Recover on Jellicent to beat Calm Mind Reuniclus, and also use Cursed Body to pretty much ensure it can't touch you, since it'll be useless when Psychic / Psyshock is disabled. Might want to use a spread of 248 HP / 172 SpD / 88 Spe so that you can hit 4 Spe Skarmory with Taunt before it sets up Spikes.

You still lack a check for Trick Room Reuniclus other than outstalling turns of Trick Room through clever switching. It may not have a lot to set up on without taking a huge hit, but once it sets it up, you're looking at four long turns of being behind the 8-ball. Since your team lacks Stealth Rock, why don't you try a bulky Chople Berry Tyranitar over Infernape? Mach Punch Infernape becomes a lot less necessary once you have a solid Excadrill counter, and your team, like all teams, could really benefit from Stealth Rock support. Chople Berry lets you take a hit from Reuniclus and hit it hard with Crunch, which should be enough to take it out since Reuniclus will likely have taken a hit to set up Trick Room. Your team also benefits a lot from Tyranitar since it can Pursuit Latios before it puts a hurt to your team. I'd use something like Careful 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD with Stealth Rock / Pursuit / Crunch / Superpower so that you can hit Ferrothorn and opposing Tyranitar.

Might want to use Roost over Thunderbolt on Latios since he's your go-to switch in against Rotom-W, so you definitely want him staying alive as long as you can. On Magnezone, I'd use Charge Beam / Hidden Power Fire / Flash Cannon / Substitute so that you can hit everything from Ferrothorn to Latias while still being able to boost your Special Attack once you trap something like Scizor.
Thanks for the awesome advice. The only thing from your suggestions that I'm hesitant on changing is Tyranitar in place of Infernape. As you can tell from my icon, Infernape is my favorite Pokemon. I'd like to include him on this team if at all possible. I have plenty of different variations bred already (CMT for all the types), so changing the moveset isn't a problem.

Other than that, thanks for the advice and I'll take all of it into consideration for sure.

For Latios -- If Blissey isn't a problem, use Recover instead of Psyshock, but if it is keep Psyshock. Possibly even change the set to Specs.

Latios @ Choice Specs
4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf / Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

On Jellicent, Water Absorb is definitely the better ability. Another thing is on Jellicent, is to change Shadow Ball to Taunt or Ice Beam. Taunt is probably the preferred move so sweepers don't set up on you, but if Dragons are troubling you, go with Ice Beam. Definitely go with Lum Berry on Dragonite over Leftovers. You already have Roost, and many Pokemon will try and status him, so Lum Berry is really helpful.

For Latios -- If Blissey isn't a problem, use Recover instead of Psyshock, but if it is keep Psyshock. Possibly even change the set to Specs.

Latios @ Choice Specs
4 HP / 252 Special Attack / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf / Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

On Jellicent, Water Absorb is definitely the better ability. Another thing is on Jellicent, is to change Shadow Ball to Taunt or Ice Beam. Taunt is probably the preferred move so sweepers don't set up on you, but if Dragons are troubling you, go with Ice Beam. Definitely go with Lum Berry on Dragonite over Leftovers. You already have Roost, and many Pokemon will try and status him, so Lum Berry is really helpful.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Just as an FYI to everyone who wants to help out, this team is for a WiFi Tournament. I haven't tested any of this out yet and am unsure of the level of play of the other people. I know they all EV and at least some of them RNG as well.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you mind explaining why Ferrothorn isn't doing much? I'm not questioning it, I'm just curious.
Many of the Pokemon Ferrothorn supposedly checks or counters have found a way around it (see Latios HP Fire) severely cutting its effectiveness already. Most of the other Pokes Ferro deals with can already be dealt with by another member of your team. (Rotom-W dispatched by Latios, Gyarados by Maggy) Besides maybe Slowbro, Bronzong is maybe the most underutilized pokes in the game, with the ability to shut down most dragons and tank hits from so many sand threats and hit back with EQ, Gyro Ball or HP Ice better than Ferro could ever hope.

Many of the Pokemon Ferrothorn supposedly checks or counters have found a way around it (see Latios HP Fire) severely cutting its effectiveness already. Most of the other Pokes Ferro deals with can already be dealt with by another member of your team. (Rotom-W dispatched by Latios, Gyarados by Maggy) Besides maybe Slowbro, Bronzong is maybe the most underutilized pokes in the game, with the ability to shut down most dragons and tank hits from so many sand threats and hit back with EQ, Gyro Ball or HP Ice better than Ferro could ever hope.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I'll probably use Bronzong because I have a random one on my Soul Silver that I can use to breed.

If your dragonite is KO'd you'll have a lot of trouble with a Toxicroak.
Try running a Gliscor. You could use the one I PM'd you yesterday.

Infernape has to go it just isnt good with all the rain teams/lati@s running around. Conkeldurr can replace him to keep your exadrill check, or you could go with a weather bringer (politoad, ttar, ninetales). I would be more specific but any weather can work with this team. Good luck

Just had my first battle of the tournament, and I won. Bronzong was the champ of the match, taking out at least 3 of my opponents Pokemon.

Looking for more rates/comments/etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)