SV OU Banded Meow+Nite Webs

Hi! I normally tinker around with a bunch of uu mons and tilt like crazy, but recently I decided to just run one team for a couple nights and managed to not live in the 12 and 1300s, peaking around 1500. Would love some feedback on things to try out. I like running webs so that my mons can focus on breaking but maybe there are setup mons I should give a shot to. The focus of this team is on getting webs up then going nuclear with one of the choice mons to open holes in the opposing core. I'm posting because I'm sure people with better meta awareness will see giant weaknesses that can be patched up with some swaps.

Here's the team: https://pokepast.es/756da1d240868fe2

Teambuilding process (braindead):
:Ribombee: + :Gholdengo: What would webs be without a setter and a blocker? Self Explanatory.

:Ribombee: + :Gholdengo: + :Iron Moth:
Once I had a spatk focused setter and blocker, I wanted a third spatk focused mon. As a braindead exercise, I went down the list of mons in OU/UU looking to see who had the highest spatk (non slow division) and decided on moth for 1. having a speed tier that obliviates the need for speed boosts with web up 2. having booster energy to eliminate setup/not be choice locked

:Ribombee: + :Gholdengo: + :Iron Moth: + :Meowscarada:
Keeping with the theme of mons that can operate without setup, band meow was brought in so that we have an ice type and the ability to auto crit against screens and dozo

:Ribombee: + :Gholdengo: + :Iron Moth: + :Meowscarada: + :Dragonite:
Keeping with the theme of clicking buttons, BandNite is here for Espeed shenanigans if I'm somehow outsped, and outrage does some serious damage to mons that would normally outspeed nite without webs

:Ribombee: + :Gholdengo: + :Iron Moth: + :Meowscarada: + :Dragonite: + :Great Tusk:
we're hazard-weak, and have no way to remove boots, so why not add another booster mon to break and support. Tusk rounds out the team because tusk can round out a lot of teams

Let's go mon by mon and explain the button click-y sets:

Ribombee @ Focus Sash
Ability: Shield Dust
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sticky Web
- Moonblast
- Stun Spore
- Skill Swap
I like bee as a setter over all the others, the speed tier is great, moonblast blows up a lot of leads/can clean late game, and access to skill swap means that nobody's gonna bounce these webs back at me. Preserving bee once sash activates can be critical in games where they've got moon or something like that in the back, this team relies a lot on being able to outspeed and KO while on low HP yourself

Gholdengo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fighting
Modest Nature
- Make It Rain
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick
The beauty of webs is that stuff that shouldn't work, does. Yeah I need a blocker to keep em up, but also every mon on this team needs to dish out oodles of damage without setup. So here we are with specs. Click buttons, watch their switch-ins realize that the 3hko they thought they had actually 2hkos. Trick lets you mess up special walls and ruin gambit's good time. Tidy up mons are at your mercy with make it rain, and the only thing that's gonna remove webs on you is mold breaker Hawlucha, who's gonna explode when you hit them with make it rain.

Iron Moth @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
Timid Nature
- Fiery Dance
- Energy Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic
Nothing special here, except for booster activating on the special side rather than speed. We've got other ways of dealing with speed. Standard set otherwise, you're going to be fishing for Fiery Dance boosts and just generally wrecking things without bothering to switch. Not a lot to say, but I do end up using tera on moth the most; fairy is just that good and bee needs a friend sometimes. I've considered going double STAB with sludge wave, but then I miss out on some stuff with psychic. Not sure if this should change.

Meowscarada @ Choice Band
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Sucker Punch
- Triple Axel
- U-turn
At first I was using knock off (basically the scarf set with band) but I found that I still needed priority to deal with things like Iron Boulder. Really nothing crazy here, the general idea is similar to most of the mons here - rely on your webs, know you're usually gonna be faster, hit them as hard as you can. Flower Trick can do some silly things against screens, triple axel means that you've got a gliscor counter.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
BandNite is so much fun. Not a lot of things want to get hit with what Meow's got AND what Nite brings, so once you blow some holes with one, the other's gonna run wild. The double choice band synergy is nice because once you've chunked something, your other choice mon is going to be able to kill it. Espeed+Multiscale means that as long as you keep rocks off you're always going to be able to Rkill, switch out, and do it again.

Great Tusk @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Headlong Rush
- Ice Spinner
Tusk the glue mon + booster = more buttons to click. Without knock on meow, you need it here. Spinner for terrain, gliscor, tera flying on gambit. The main thing I would emphasize is that since you're webs, you get tons of mileage out of boosting atk. +1 tusk is going to kill somebody, just a matter of who. Very few mons are going to take two hits (even if the first is spin) and survive.

Threats:

Rain - get webs up, use priority to take out their abusers, and cross your fingers that focus miss doesn't screw you against arch

Sun - this matchup isn't bad for you, but it isn't great either. Tusk is pretty much itemless but still puts in work if you can get webs up. Basically, if they try to spin with torkoal you can't keep them up, if they try to shuffle through eject button hat you're golden. If they do stay with koal it's not a total loss because then they are burning sun turns

Ace - against cinder, you got to decide, am I going to try to double switch Nite into it and tera for the ohko chance (and if they are the bulky pivot get burned), or am I gonna not set webs until I manage to kill it. The later is usually the better choice, but remember, you don't boost speed on moth so you have to play careful

Scarfed flyers - I got wrecked more than once by scarf mons that ignore webs since I wasn't anticipating that and didn't switch to nite

If you've read this far, thanks! If you've got some suggestions or just see a giant weakness I'm missing let me know!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)