Balanced Offense team

So this is the team that I took into OU for the end of BW2, and honestly I only needed to use this team. It consistently got me into 1900/2100 on the ladder, depending on which alt I was using at the time. It centers around Hippowdon and some of the most broken offensive pokemon in the OU metagame. After 100's of battles of editing, this is my final product:

Donald (Hippowdon) (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Supreme (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Run With Me! (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Bre-BOOM! (Breloom) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore

Starruss (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SAtk / 224 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin

Death Pony (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Scald

As you can already see, this team is full of offensive threats. but lets focus on one pokemon at a time:

Hippowdon: This is one of the most essential pokemon on my team, for he serves several purposes. The most important is that he is a Terrakion/Garchomp/Dragonite/Salamence/Haxorus Wall/counter. When the opponent sends out one of these pokemon, Hippowdon can easily come in, take a hit, or let them boost and then take a hit, as he performs his second important purpose.

Hippo is my phaser. With whirlwind, none of these offensive threats can ever gain momentum against me, and he can rack up some sand storm damage. A boosted of any of those aforementioned pokemon cannot take down a Hippo at full health, and are easily phased away.

Hippo also sets up my only form of entry hazards in SR, which is really only important for breaking sashes and crippling volcarona, who then can easily be taken down later by Keldeo.

Hippo's other important aspect is the fact it is my anti-sun pokemon. Sun really destroys this team, and without the sand, I would be dead in the water. Otherwise, sand has no purpose for this team.

Kyurem-B: Many people have deemed this MF as broken, and sometimes I like to agree with them. Kyruem-B used to be my end-game sweeper until I discovered that he was much better as an anti-metagame pokemon. Kyurem-B with hidden power fire is the ONLY pokemon that can OHKO Forretress without him getting up any hazards. Ice beam is powerful too, and in fact, is the strongest Ice Beam in the OU tier excluding normal Kyurem, even when sp att isnt invested in heavily. Thanks to STAB, Kyurem-B can take out threats such as Thundurus-T, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Dragonite, Salamence, among others. Fusion Bolt is there for coverage, but it can hit Thundurus on the switch because of teravolt. Outrage is for when I have cleared all the steel/defensive pokemon out of the way, along with any threatening scarfers that outspeed the demon. Because Kyurem-B is in fact scarfed, you have to be on the ball with prediction, but a skilled player such as myself turns him into one of the most powerful pokemon in the metagame.

Scizor: Ahh im one of those people that runs scizor. However, I'm the only one that runs Jolly nature. Why would anyone run Jolly? Its because of one pokemon that nearly made this team unusable: Celebi.

Originally, Scizor was max bulk/max attack adamant nature, but after a while, I found that min-speed offensive celebi was utterly ruining my team, hitting scizor with hp fire, and then having super effective giga drain/psychic against the rest of my team barring Kyurem, who at most times was already dead. However, because of the fact no one seems to make their own sets anymore and just follows Smogons sets, people still run no speed investments on their sp. defensive and offensive celebis, because there's no need to because it still outspeeds adamant scizor. But If i gave enough speed evs to scizor, it now outspeeds those variants and hits them by surprise. Now, all I had to do was trap celebi, and when they expect to outspeed and U-turn for themselves, I hit them with a U-turn instead. This change alone turned my team from 1600 to 1750 instantly. Otherwise, this scizor is pretty standard, but some people think that when they face it, its choice scarfed. Use this to your advantage.

Breloom: nothing special about this breloom, except it provides some more priority in mach punch. very standard set, loves rain. you get it.

Starmie: This is also pretty standard of a set, minus one change; I have psychic rather than t-bolt. This is to hit pokemon like breloom, keldeo, tentacruel, conkeldurr, and toxicroak hard, who would otherwise generally laugh in the face of starmie (except breloom). The ev spread is to allow it to outspeed 111 if i can remember right, but it still functions the same without that spread. If i were to make one more adjustment to this starmie, it would be giving it Analytic so it can hit stuff hard.

Keldeo: While most people opt to having Keldeo be their win condition with scarf or specs, I chose a different route for mine. Sub/Calm Mind is excellent because it keeps Keldeo healthy, while it can counter things such as sp.defensive jirachi in an end game situation (trust me, i won a battle down 4-2 against a jirachi by abusing this). Keldeo carries the standard secret sword so it isnt walled by the pink blobs, but its water move is peculiar indeed. I opted for scald over surf or Hydro PUmp. Why? I already gave HP to starmie, and surf and scald are nearly the same. However, in the long run, scald burns do much more damage than surf, and Keldeo cannot afford the hydro pump misses. This not only cripples offesnive pokemon, but gives Keldeo an opportunity to set up. Plus, +1 Scald is stronger than hydro pump, so heck yeah, i use scald.

This team easily competes with top tier OU. There are a few issues though:
-Offensive celebis that ouspeed scizor are a problem big time, and the only way to remedy this is with Kyurem-B
-Rotom-W is the biggest threat to this team. the best strategy is to lead with breloom when you see Rotom in the team preview, and hope it is the bulky variant, and not the offensive variant with hp fire/ice
-Latios is kind of a threat. while I have nothing to take a draco meteor, if it does decide to do that, hippo is an appropriate sacrifice. because most Latios's are specs, scizor then traps latios easily. however, expert belt Latios can only be taken down by Kyurem.
-Sun is the biggest threat to this team, along with venusaur. however, dont be afraid; you have two answers to venusaur. The first is getting up sand, in which pokemon such as starmie and Kyurem can easily take it out. the second is Kyurem-b itself. If venusaur is modest nature, scarf Kyurem-B outspeeds it. Outrage that MF and get it out of the way (ice beam only takes it down after prior damage, so dont risk it, do calcs if you need to).

Thats about it. Hope you like this team!!!!

Last edited:
Hey Acheron 01!

You’re Team is off to a great start! After laddering with your team, I strongly agree with the threats you outlined. More subtle weaknesses would include: general rain offense tactics, like hurricane and hydro-pump spam.Reasons being with Kyurem-Black being scarfed and Starmie lacking recover, repeated strong water attacks will decimate the two. This is further augmented by the fact that your entire team is grounded. Meaning a weakness to all types of entry hazards. For example, Ferrothorn is able to setup entry hazards on everything bar Breloom and Keldeo while damaging Starmie’s attempt to spin with Iron Barbs.

However with a few changes, this team will scoff at such problems. Seeing as this team is mainly bulky Hippowdon offense, these changes will attempt to maintain the offensive prowess of the team while strengthen its defense.

As stated in your threat list, Kyurem-B is your main method of dealing with pesky water and grass types. In order to maximize it’s effenicy, I suggest changing Kyurem-B to the substitute attacker set. This set mixes survivability with power; the main perk being able to repeatedly switch into water and grass type moves. The ability to switch moves allows Kyurem-B to be a larger threat to the opposition. A set of Substitute, Roost, Ice-Beam, and Fusion Bolt should suffice. Roost is for survivability, while ice beam is used over a dragon stab. This is so Kyurem-B isn’t walled by Lamdorus-T.

Next being established that Kyurem-B and the rest of the team are entry hazard weak; I recommend changing Starmie into a bulky rapid spinner set. This makes Starmie more resilient allowing it to spin throughout the match. Also a bulkier Starmie helps patch up your Keldeo weakness; as late game, scarf Keldeo could demolish your team if Starmie is weakened. The move-set consists of Rapid Spin, Recover, Scald, and Psyshock. Psyshock is to deal with Breloom and Keldeo while scald is to spread burns.

The next change will fix your team’s sun weakness. For instance offensive Volcarona can destroy your team after a single boost. To remedy this I recommend replacing Keldeo with Specially defensive Heatran. A set of Lava Plume, roar, toxic, and protect will do. A bulkier Heatran is able to take repeated hits from sun threats such as Volcarona and Venusaur with ease. with its good bulk its also a solid switch into many special attackers. Other than checking sun, Heatran can eliminate pesky steel types that trouble Starmie and Kyurem-B. Toxic can stall out counters to Heatran such as Politoed and Rotom-W. Roar can prevent Volcarona and other setup users from obtaining a sweep.

Lastly, these changes will leave you without a choice scarf user, to remedy this I suggest choice scarf Jirachi over Scizor. Jirachi checks the same things that Scizor checks while taking hits better due to it’s greater bulk. A set of Iron-head, Ice-Punch, Thunder-Punch, and U-turn will work. Thunder punch is used to revenge kill Gyarados, which is something Scizor can’t do.

A personal change would be to give Breloom Lum berry over life orb. This is so sandstorm and recoil do not wear it down as quickly. This change also allows Breloom to set up on water types without fearing a Scald burn.

I hope i helped! If you have any questions feel free to VM/PM me.
SubakSupreme

tl:dr
Changes

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Lonely nature
56 hp /216 atk / 236 spe
-Substitute
-Roost
-Fusion Bolt
-Ice Beam

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid nature
248 hp / 32 def / 4 spa / 224 spa
-Rapid Spin
-Recover
-Scald
-Psyshock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm nature
248 hp / 8 def / 252 spd / 0 atk IV
-Lava Plume
-Toxic
-Roar
-Protect

Jirachi @ Choice scarf
Jolly nature
76 hp / 252 atk / 184 spe
-Iron Head
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch
-U-Turn

Breloom @ Lum berry or Life Orb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)