Status
Not open for further replies.
[Might be too early sorry]

Aurorus

Pokedex Number - #699
Type(s) - Rock / Ice
Base Stats* - 123 HP / 77 Atk / 72 Def / 99 SAtk / 92 SDef / 58 Spe

Abilities
Ability 1 - Refrigerate: Refrigerate turns all of Aurorus Normal-Type moves into Ice-Type moves.
Hidden Ability - Snow Warning: Hailstorm blows when the Pokémon enters battle. As of X & Y, this lasts 5 turns.

Level Up Moves
-Mist
-Take Down
-Freeze Dry
-Aurora Beam
-Icy Wind
-Avalanche
-Thunder Wave
-AncientPower
-Nature Power
-Encore
-Blizzard

TMs and HMs compatibility
-Generation Six

Egg Moves
(Will add more as we learn more)

Notable moves
-Thunderbolt
-Nature Power (Tri-Attack)
-Freeze Dry
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Blizzard
-Ice Beam
-Charge Beam
-Dragon Tail
-Roar
-Calm Mind
-Thunder

Aurorus is a unique Pokemon, with a unique typing, a unique Ability, and even a unique signature move. It's typing provides it a Stealth Rock weakness, along with a 4x Weakness to the two most common priority moves, Bullet Punch and Mach Punch. However, this doesn't make Aurorus essentially worthless.

Potential Movesets
name: Offensive
move 1: Tri-Attack
move 2: AncientPower
move 3: Thunderbolt / Freeze Dry
move 4: Hidden Power Fire

ability: Refrigerate
item: Life Orb / Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD

Set Description:
This set is used best because it plays off of Aurorus' two highest Stats - Special Attack and HP. It has access to BoltBeam, meaning it doesn't have to rely as much on the now weak Hidden Power. Since we don't know any Special Normal-Type moves yet, I just left it as Special Normal-Type move, but when we do know if it gets one - I will edit it again, but for certain it will be very powerful when boosted by Life Orb, while being backed by STAB and a Base 120 SpA Refrigerate turns it into STAB and will essentially give you two powerful STAB moves. Power Gem is a secondary STAB that hits hard, getting great coverage alongside Hidden Power Fire.

Personal Opinion of the pokemon and conclusion (roughly one paragraph)
I personally believe Arorus has true potential! It's typing might be less than ideal, but it has a great stat spread so it can work! I was testing out a Choice Scarf set to make up for its Speed, but stopped because of how silly it was for a cute dinosaur to be wearing a scarf and outspeeding Lucario and other shit.

(also a question, may I make more than one thread at a time? I want to write up a thing for Hawlucha, but don't know if that is allowed)

Last edited:
A small nitpick, is there any real reason to have both a normal type and ice type move, I mean wouldn't it be better to just have one or the other? Perhaps you could free up a moveslot for something like Freeze Dry (although I don't know this move's BP) or just use both AncientPower and Hidden Power Fire.
Other than that, I think that Aurorus is going to struggle with speed and the fact that it has pretty terrible defensive typing for something built to be a tank.

Having a Normal special move with Ice Beam seems a little redundant since Refrigerate would just turn the Normal attack into an Ice attack. I think using both HP Fire and AncientPower would be better for coverage.

Freeze Dry might be a better option than Thunderbolt since it hits Water types super effectively. 70 BP with STAB > 90 BP Thunderbolt.

Thunderbolt is useful for hitting Skarmory, though. If you were to have a normal special attack, I'd go Normal / Freeze Dry / Thunderbolt / Whatever.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
not like its going to be facing off against skarms any time soon tho. Breloom, terrakoin and scizor are gonna see to that unfortunatly.

Thunderbolt is also pretty useful for the raw amount of neutral coverage that it offers alongside Ice Beam. Even Freeze Dry is resisted by most Fire-types, Steel-types, and Ice-types, and Thunderbolt covers a lot of those. Even if Freeze Dry hits Water-types for super effective damage, it doesn't make the neutral coverage offered by BoltBeam any less awesome.

Serebii listed it as getting Snow Warning so that could help it a bit. It's kinda sad but it seems everything is SE on it. Or at least everyone has something that hits it for SE damage...
Refrigerate is most likely a waste. It's special based so it won't use physical attacks, and it already has good special Ice moves.

Snow Warning + Blizzard seems like it could do okay, especially coming from ~120 base special attack.

Serebii listed it as getting Snow Warning so that could help it a bit. It's kinda sad but it seems everything is SE on it. Or at least everyone has something that hits it for SE damage...
Refrigerate is most likely a waste. It's special based so it won't use physical attacks, and it already has good special Ice moves.

Snow Warning + Blizzard seems like it could do okay, especially coming from ~120 base special attack.
I don't see anywhere on Serebii where it's listed as having Snow Warning?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thunderbolt is also pretty useful for the raw amount of neutral coverage that it offers alongside Ice Beam. Even Freeze Dry is resisted by most Fire-types, Steel-types, and Ice-types, and Thunderbolt covers a lot of those. Even if Freeze Dry hits Water-types for super effective damage, it doesn't make the neutral coverage offered by BoltBeam any less awesome.
The combination of Ancientpower and HP Fire hits all of the individual types that resist Freeze Dry super effectively.

/me hopes for new special Rock STAB

So many unknowns here. We don't know all the moves it can learn or the BP/accuracy of new moves or even the DW ability yet.

I'd rather use sand support with aurorus over hail. At least with the sand boost, weaker SE special attacks may fail to KO due to the SpDef buff, while blizzard is really the only thing going for it in hail, which isn't enough IMO. One small hope for it would be if it got rock polish, as it has great neutral coverage at present, which would at least give it a small chance at a late game sweep.

I don't see anywhere on Serebii where it's listed as having Snow Warning?
Serebiis X/Y Pokedex has the "hidden" abilities listed: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/rock.shtml

I'd rather use sand support with aurorus over hail. At least with the sand boost, weaker SE special attacks may fail to KO due to the SpDef buff, while blizzard is really the only thing going for it in hail, which isn't enough IMO. One small hope for it would be if it got rock polish, as it has great neutral coverage at present, which would at least give it a small chance at a late game sweep.
Well it should definitely live weak SE special hits even without a sandstorm considering it has 120-127 hp and at least 85 spdef.
Sand could work too, but weather isn't that useful this time, especially if you just try to wall with it. I think it's better for sweepers that try to sweep the few turns, since defensive 'mons can't really do much besides stalling (which works against them because weather). Dunno, it can work, but we'll see. I just feel it's more difficult to do it, and most of the time you'll switch around as well. So the Snow Warning would always give it hail if it switches in, and seeing as Refrigerate is basically obsolate it could at least help Aurorus to use Blizzard and do hail damage / stall a bit longer than if you'd have to switch in first.

Serebiis X/Y Pokedex has the "hidden" abilities listed: http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/rock.shtml

Well it should definitely live weak SE special hits even without a sandstorm considering it has 120-127 hp and at least 85 spdef.
Sand could work too, but weather isn't that useful this time, especially if you just try to wall with it. I think it's better for sweepers that try to sweep the few turns, since defensive 'mons can't really do much besides stalling (which works against them because weather). Dunno, it can work, but we'll see. I just feel it's more difficult to do it, and most of the time you'll switch around as well. So the Snow Warning would always give it hail if it switches in, and seeing as Refrigerate is basically obsolate it could at least help Aurorus to use Blizzard and do hail damage / stall a bit longer than if you'd have to switch in first.
What I meant was that with sand up, you have more chances to set up a rock polish sweep (Even if it isn't confirmed, I'm going to say Aurorus will get rock polish as just about every other rock type pokemon does) because the extra special defense would allow you to stay in on threats you would otherwise not normally be able to stay in on.

Though that would require damage calculations to prove, which I'm too lazy to do at the moment. Hail might be worth it, but stacking ice weakness, fighting weakness, steel weakness and only a fire neutrality would be restrictive for further team mate choices. Sand support could mitigate this somewat through hippowdon's high defense and phazing in Whirlwind + SR to weaken pokemon before you sweep.

oh, so not stalling but setting up and sweep. well even then with blizzard that would be easier. and yes it does get rock polish. it also gets calm mind... but I'm not sure if that'll be useful.

Edit:

btw, I'm really sure Freeze Dry does hit for 4 times SE if it hits a Water + (other weak to Ice type) type.

So besides it's normal effectiveness it's 4 times SE on:
Water/Grass (Ludicolo)
Water/Ground (Quagsire, Swampert, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad)
Water/Dragon (Kingdra, Palkia)
Water/Flying (Gyarados, Mantine, Pelipper, Swanna)

others are:
Dragon/Flying (Dragonite, Altaria, Rayquaza, Salamence, Noivern)
Grass/Flying (Jumpluff, Tropius, Shaymin-Sky)
Ground/Flying (Gliscor, Landorus)
Dragon/Ground (Flygon,[Mega]Garchomp, Zygarde)
Grass/Ground (Torterra)

That seems pretty good... hitting all them Water types for STAB SE and a chance to freeze them, damn... (not that it happens often, it's probably a 10 % chance to freeze)

Edit2:

also btw, these Aurorus base stats are probably way too optimistic. They add up to 558 total, which is only very rarely seen.

Even if you round them down they seem too high. Unless GF decided to finally give fossils better base stat totals... and by better I mean really high ones, lol.
Besides random stuff like Slaking, Archeops is the only other not legend/pseudo-legend/trio-legend to have a higher BST than that.

as for hp it's between 111-126. My Aurorus has 217 hp on level 50 with 252 EVs. I'm assuming it has 115 or 120 base. Maybe it's a more random number, but it might not be 125, unless my Aurorus has a crap IV... (which is possible)

Last edited:
oh, so not stalling but setting up and sweep. well even then with blizzard that would be easier. and yes it does get rock polish. it also gets calm mind... but I'm not sure if that'll be useful.

Edit:

btw, I'm really sure Freeze Dry does hit for 4 times SE if it hits a Water + (other weak to Ice type) type.

So besides it's normal effectiveness it's 4 times SE on:
Water/Grass (Ludicolo)
Water/Ground (Quagsire, Swampert, Whiscash, Gastrodon, Seismitoad)
Water/Dragon (Kingdra, Palkia)
Water/Flying (Gyarados, Mantine, Pelipper, Swanna)

others are:
Dragon/Flying (Dragonite, Altaria, Rayquaza, Salamence, Noivern)
Grass/Flying (Jumpluff, Tropius, Shaymin-Sky)
Ground/Flying (Gliscor, Landorus)
Dragon/Ground (Flygon,[Mega]Garchomp, Zygarde)
Grass/Ground (Torterra)

That seems pretty good... hitting all them Water types for STAB SE and a chance to freeze them, damn... (not that it happens often, it's probably a 10 % chance to freeze)

Edit2:

also btw, these Aurorus base stats are probably way too optimistic. They add up to 558 total, which is only very rarely seen.

Even if you round them down they seem too high. Unless GF decided to finally give fossils better base stat totals... and by better I mean really high ones, lol.
Besides random stuff like Slaking, Archeops is the only other not legend/pseudo-legend/trio-legend to have a higher BST than that.

as for hp it's between 111-126. My Aurorus has 217 hp on level 50 with 252 EVs. I'm assuming it has 115 or 120 base. Maybe it's a more random number, but it might not be 125, unless my Aurorus has a crap IV... (which is possible)
Edit1: Wow, I didn't know that! That's phenomenal!
Edit2: I just did what was on Showdown, they have all the stats for the Pokemon so I just copied from there. Not sure if they're 100% correct though.

A few things:
-Power Gem now has 80 BP and if Aurorus learns it via breeding (after all it's a gem-encrusted dinosaur) it should use it as its rock STAB
-Boomburst is an absurdly powerful normal-type attack at 140 BP/100% accuracy and NO drawbacks. We don't know if Aurorus learns it yet. Try breeding with Noivern maybe?
-We still don't know Freeze-Dry's chance of freezing, but it's said to be more than 10%. Depending how high it is it may be worth running it
-I didn't know that, added it :)
-I was speculating if it got it, and I thought why would it? It might, but I don't know if GF would give something not related to sound Boomburst. And wasn't it confirmed to be Noivern's Signature move, or was I mistake?
-The quote above this shows Freeze Dry is great, if it can become greater, it could turn Arorus into a very potent threat imo.

Edit1: Wow, I didn't know that! That's phenomenal!
Edit2: I just did what was on Showdown, they have all the stats for the Pokemon so I just copied from there. Not sure if they're 100% correct though.
Yeah it's really nice! Cryogonal also gets the move so it isn't the only Pokemon to get it though...
And okay, they are incorrect then and probably used the middle of the possible values someone calculated.

Boom Burst would be amazing, wow (-> probably won't happen lol). But I do hope it gets Power Gem... it needs some Rock type STAB that isn't just 60 BP.

Btw, Freeze Dry very likely doesn't Freeze any more than 10 %, unless I got really really unlucky while I used it, because I never froze a single of my targets, and I trained Aurorus up on many wild Pokemon (that didn't get OHKO'd). I was hoping & thinking it would freeze more often, but it really doesn't seem that way.

this is what i see
it's not listed on the new pokemon page or their pokedex pages either
you are too late, almost all new Pokemon had secondary abilities listed (only the ones who don't/shouldn't have another one like Aegislash didn't have one).
Serebii removed them for whatever reason. Dunno if he pulled them out of his *** or what that was. :S but I guess we should forget about them for now...

you are too late, almost all new Pokemon had secondary abilities listed (only the ones who don't/shouldn't have another one like Aegislash didn't have one).
Serebii removed them for whatever reason. Dunno if he pulled them out of his *** or what that was. :S but I guess we should forget about them for now...
I will go out on a limb and say that he flubbed up the pages. This has happened before (anyone remember when he got all the stat listings flipped around on the gen 5 dream world ability page and no one thought for a second they were just mixed up?)

I will go out on a limb and say that he flubbed up the pages. This has happened before (anyone remember when he got all the stat listings flipped around on the gen 5 dream world ability page and no one thought for a second they were just mixed up?)
While that could be possible, all the Pokemon had reasonable abilities from what I saw (and I looked at all of them), so who knows.

He also removed that new Grass-thing ability from Gogoat that would give a defense boost if a grass field is up. Maybe he just knows about them but they arent confirmed / possible to get yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

For example:
Gogoat had that new one,
Diggersby had Huge Power,
Pyroar had Moxie,
Tyrantrum had Rock Head,
Skrepls evo had Adaptability,
Aurorus had Snow Warning,

But I'm seeing he completely removed that new Gogoat ability. Maybe those were all just rumors, or we shouldn't know about them yet...

Last edited:
I have a feeling Thunder Wave+3 attacks will be fairly effective on it. 70 Base Speed is plenty to outspeed Paralyzed Pokemon and Ground-types and Zapdos that are immune to Thunder Wave won't like getting hit with an Ice attack. Substitute and Rock Polish could work for the same reason, although the former might not work too well due to this thing losing 25% of its health from SR.

I can confirm Aurorus learns Encore by level up. Rock Tomb (though obvious) is also in its movepool. I can edit with a pic later, but probably won't because I'll be playing the game. :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)