Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - Read FAQ in First Post Before Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the opponent strikes second: In that case Encore would fail because the last move the opponent tried to use was prevented from being used because of Taunt, in this case, the non-damaging move.

If the opponent strikes first: Since Taunt prevents the use of non-damaging moves by the opponent, your strategy won't be effective since the opponent must choose a damaging move on the next round, and your use of Encore will take that move into account, not the non-damaging move, unless you have a way to raise your Speed.

A more effective strategy, if you know the opponent will strike first, would be to use Encore. If the last move the opponent used was a non-damaging move, you can then use Taunt to prevent that use and force the opponent to use Struggle the next round it would attack.

References:

Last move used - "The last move used is reset to 'no move' when the move is prevented from being used."

Encore - "During effect, opponent, during each of its turns, uses the last move it used before this attack was used"

Taunt - "For three rounds, including the current round, non-damaging moves are disabled for opponent."

Starrmie:

The word "check"comes from the phrase "checks and balances". A "check" for a Pokemon is designed to keep that Pokemon from dominating the battle and to "balance out" any unfavorable advantages.

I would like to post this here before the Rate My Team forum, just to aquire some last-minute suggestions (especially on EV's) and for help spotting legality issues. It is a stall team with focus on entry hazards and walling the hell out of everything. My team:

@ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: ?
Nature: ?
~ Spikes
~ Leech Seed
~ Power Whip
~ Gyro Ball/Thunder Wave

Not sure what the standard defensive orientation in nature or the EV spread is on this guy.

@ Leftovers/Red Card
Ability: Sticky Hold
EV's: 212 HP / 88 Def / 208 SpDef
Nature: Calm
~ Stockpile
~ Recover
~ Toxic
~ Surf/Scald

The EV's may be a little outdated, but this guy is absolutely amazing and can really hold his own. A vital pivot, especially for this type of team. Sticky Hold over Storm Drain to counter those who think they can be sly with Trick. Depending on how reliably the team can Toxic, Toxic here could be replaced with something else. Needless to say, my absolute favorite pokemon, so this goes nowhere.

@ Leftovers/Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Def / 4 Def
Nature: Impish
~ Toxic Spikes
~ Whirlwind
~ Knock Off
~ Crunch

All-Purpose, really. Toxic Spiker (and Absorber), Phazer, Annoyer, Wall. Not sure if it would be better to invest in Defense or Special Defense, but it has decent nature defense bulk. Regardless, I am no sage at EVing, so some points may be wasted/unnecessary. Feel this guy is necessary and should stay as well.

@ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
Nature: Impish/Careful/Adamant
~ Trick
~ Pursuit
~ Sucker Punch
~ Will-o-Wisp

Spin-blocker, physical wall, and disrupter. Will-o-Wisp for things that are immune to Toxic. Its purpose should mostly be self-explanitory, although maybe it should be invested in Sp.Def since most other Ghosts are Specially inclined.

@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EV's: Standard, whatever that is.
Nature: Same as above.
~ Fling
~ Acrobatics
~ Earthquake
~ Stealth Rock

Another physical wall. Can also spread status and absorb status after a Toxic Orb activation. It would be a great asset to the team, however, I am unsure as to the legality of Stealth Rock + Poison Heal. If anyone could enlighten me on the situation, I would appreciate it. If it is illegal, then I need to find a Stealth-Rocker...

@ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EV's: Probably 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sp.Def
Nature: Probably Bold
~ Protect
~ Wish
~ Ice Beam
~ Scald

Wish-pass Vaporeon. Important for key resistances as well.

I apologize if this does not belong here, but I believe it is way to incomplete to be posting it in the Rate My Team forum. So, I suppose the simple question is, does this team look okay?

Thank you to those who took the time to read this.

I apologize, but I am reposting the above since it got caught at the very end of a page a couple pages ago. If I do not get much or any feedback, then I will just try my luck in the RMT forums.

Ah yes, and thank you for the prior help with chain-breeding Wish onto Eevee, Sensei_Bobbilytus.

EDIT: Should this be in the research thread perhaps? I'm copying it there now.

Hey guys, I was wondering if somebody here could help me with something.

Whilst trying to build a Hoenn-themed team to use, I came across a small problem - the only Rapid Spin users specific to Hoenn are Claydol, Armaldo and Spinda. I've tried the first 2 in various combinations with other pokemon, but they just don't fit with the rest of my team.

So I was trying to think of alternatives. Magic Coat or Taunt, to stop my side of the field from being set up on, but those just seemed like a waste of a moveslot to me, and required good prediction. Then i thought of another possibility - Defog.

With the help of another person on the PO server, we conducted a series of tests. These are the results:
-Opponent lays down spikes and light screen, I mimic light screen and set it up on my side
-I use defog
-Light Screen is gone from their side, but spikes/LS still on my side

Obviously it wasn't much help to me at all. Pretty useless as a matter of fact. When reading through serebii/bulbapedia's descriptions of the move, the use of the word TARGET was stressed.

Then we were wondering what would happen if we tried it in a double battle scenario.
-Opponent lays down Spikes/LS, I mimic LS and use it
-I target my partner with Defog
-Opponent's LS removed, but LS on my side/Spikes still present!

These results didn't seem to make sense, so we thought that perhaps there is a glitch with how Defog has been programmed into the PO server.

So here is where my actual question comes into play. Or more of a request actually: could someone with an actual version of the game test out the limitations of this move? As in, have a pokemon with the move, have a battle with someone, and conduct similar tests to that above? I know it probably is a bit much to ask, but think of the possibilities - removal of all Entry hazards, that's not blocked by ghosts. Removal of Screens. A whole slew of new pokemon to be added to the list of Utility pokemon!

So could someone either please test this, or give me some info that proves this definitively yes or no?

And here's a link to all pokemon that can learn defog: http://serebii.net/attackdex-bw/defog.shtml

Hey guys, I was wondering if somebody here could help me with something.

Whilst trying to build a Hoenn-themed team to use, I came across a small problem - the only Rapid Spin users specific to Hoenn are Claydol, Armaldo and Spinda. I've tried the first 2 in various combinations with other pokemon, but they just don't fit with the rest of my team.

So I was trying to think of alternatives. Magic Coat or Taunt, to stop my side of the field from being set up on, but those just seemed like a waste of a moveslot to me, and required good prediction. Then i thought of another possibility - Defog.

With the help of another person on the PO server, we conducted a series of tests. These are the results:
-Opponent lays down spikes and light screen, I mimic light screen and set it up on my side
-I use defog
-Light Screen is gone from their side, but spikes/LS still on my side

Obviously it wasn't much help to me at all. Pretty useless as a matter of fact. When reading through serebii/bulbapedia's descriptions of the move, the use of the word TARGET was stressed.

Then we were wondering what would happen if we tried it in a double battle scenario.
-Opponent lays down Spikes/LS, I mimic LS and use it
-I target my partner with Defog
-Opponent's LS removed, but LS on my side/Spikes still present!

These results didn't seem to make sense, so we thought that perhaps there is a glitch with how Defog has been programmed into the PO server.

So here is where my actual question comes into play. Or more of a request actually: could someone with an actual version of the game test out the limitations of this move? As in, have a pokemon with the move, have a battle with someone, and conduct similar tests to that above? I know it probably is a bit much to ask, but think of the possibilities - removal of all Entry hazards, that's not blocked by ghosts. Removal of Screens. A whole slew of new pokemon to be added to the list of Utility pokemon!

So could someone either please test this, or give me some info that proves this definitively yes or no?

And here's a link to all pokemon that can learn defog: http://serebii.net/attackdex-bw/defog.shtml
I always did think Defog was awesome and perhaps a tad underrated. Unfortunately phazing works just as well for cancelling buffs and without the negative consequence of removing your own buffs, if present. I will look forward to see the results if anyone tests this out or if anyone has an answer to this.

Yep, you pretty much sum it all already.
The thing is Defog acts like a rapid spin, it destroys screens, hazards and even leech seed. But it removes from the side of the field of the Target, which leaves us with:

1-Is usuless in a single metagame, since we can target ourselves. And as far as I remember the double metagame has better things to do also.

2-I agree is not blocked by ghost poke's, but even with some good shenaningans in a double battle it would be stopped by taunt.

3-To help your team building problem I guess using a H.O team would be the best to avoid to much entry hazards on your field.

Thanks black cotton. I started reading the Research Thread, and found the info dealing with Defog by searching through it. My Hoenn theme was fun, but I'm just going to give up on a purely Hoenn theme from now on.

Yes to Moxie. Yes to Guts. It will ignore any stat increase or decrease in your opponent's pokemon except for speed bonuses iirc.
Actually no to Guts, because it is a separate modifier. You don't get a message that shows Guts is activated and then 'ATTACK SHARPLY ROSE'. Unaware doesn't negate Guts.

Yes to Moxie though, since Moxie raises your Attack through the standard stat modifier, the one which is negated by Unaware.

More of a site question than a pokemon question. 'Banned Deucer', what exactly does it mean? (I realise it means they're banned, but does it mean they were banned for 'deucing'?

More of a site question than a pokemon question. 'Banned Deucer', what exactly does it mean? (I realise it means they're banned, but does it mean they were banned for 'deucing'?
'Deuce' is a Germany word for demon. I believe is rarely used in English, but means the same too.

Any German speaker can correct me if i'm wrong.

Isn't a deucer, like, a trickster of some kind? I always thought it was, like, another word for a con artist or something.
(lolol it's a Prankster?)

A deuce is also a slightly archaic way of referring to two of something - for example, a two on a die roll or playing cards. So I always assumed that it was Smogon's way of saying that someone had been banned for making a secondary/gimmick account. I could easily be wrong, though.

So, with the Eevee evolutions out I need to ask this.

Can I... say, go through the Island of Dreams, get something from there, and still be able to take my Eevee evolution back the same time I take something from the Island of Dreams?

EDIT: Guess I found out myself. Seems I can.

'Deuce' is a Germany [sic] word for demon. I believe is rarely used in English, but means the same too.

Any German speaker can correct me if i'm wrong.
I'm a German speaker, and that's the most idiotic thing I've heard in quite some time. It doesn't even have Germanic roots. In slang, deuce can refer to the devil or it can refer to a 2 or a pair. It's also the point reached in a tennis game where both players reach 40 points in the same time. I've never seen "deucer" used outside of Smogon though

Let the record show, "deuce" has nothing to do with German

Where can i see my ladder points/rank?
On PO, type /ranking to find your rank in your current tier

Does anyone know the exact correlation between your ID and what species you get from the Secret Egg? Also, is the species determined by the ID of the game it's received on, or the game it's hatched on (assuming it's traded before it hatches)?

alright, so i'm in the battle subway, 40 winstreak, 2 pokes down and my arcanine manages to tank a surf from lapras then finish the mofo with a extremespeed. after leftovers im left at 39 hp. now the last poke is, of course, a blissey. i'm left in quite a perdicament, if i use flare blitz the recoil will w/o a doubt kill me, but it may kill the blissey before it kills me, but blissey having as much hp and being as unpredictable as it is in the battle tower makes it hard to say whether or not it'll be OHKoe'd by flare blitz. i know if i use extremespeed and then flare blitz i could kill it, but from this hp and move from it would finish me. what should i do?! do i pray flare blitz kills, do i hope he's retarded and goes for aromatherapy or something and do extremespeed? If he didn't get a 5 turn freeze on my porygon 2 i wouldn't be in this situation...HElp!

^ It will most likely try to status you meaning even if you ES and then FlarBlitz you're probably going to lose. I also doubt that a Flare Blitz could OHKO... However this is the battle subway, go for the safe(ish) ES followed by FlareBlitz.

Well at least that's what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)