Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer MK V: We're Back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if there is some obvious place I should rather have looked for this, but does there exist any real, concrete research on whether the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway in any generation 'cheats', as in actually fudging the probabilities for things like accuracy checks or critical hits as opposed to just having a lot of hax moves? I would think it's just the same hyperbole as when people claim the RNG always disfavors the player just because they notice more when they have terrible luck, but being that I don't really use the battle facilities and haven't seen any actual data on this, I can't know for certain and don't have anything concrete to back me up when I tell people I don't think it cheats.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I'm sorry if there is some obvious place I should rather have looked for this, but does there exist any real, concrete research on whether the Battle Tower/Frontier/Subway in any generation 'cheats', as in actually fudging the probabilities for things like accuracy checks or critical hits as opposed to just having a lot of hax moves? I would think it's just the same hyperbole as when people claim the RNG always disfavors the player just because they notice more when they have terrible luck, but being that I don't really use the battle facilities and haven't seen any actual data on this, I can't know for certain and don't have anything concrete to back me up when I tell people I don't think it cheats.
I think the whole idea around people noticed hax more when it happens to them is somwhat fair and as far as I know there is no actual concrete evidence that the game cheats in the subway. However, people who play subway regularly (including myself) strongly suspect that the AI is able to 'predict' favourable RNG rolls somehow. I have experienced many instances where opponents will use moves against me that are not their most effective option damage-wise but that have secondary effects that just happen to activate (or they'll crit instead, or they may have predicted that their most damaging move will miss). Meanwhile, we have no idea when moves will miss or not, or when side effects will activate, unless it is certain to occur (100% accurate moves, etc.).

This is all speculation but I can't think of any other explanation.

Would Scizor or Gliscor be a better choice for baton passing Swords Dance?

Assume that they are be holding an Occa and Yache berry respectively, and also will have couple of defensive boosts from the earlier baton pass chain. I like Scizor for being easy to switch in due to all its resistances. Gliscor on the other hand has taunt, and two useful immunities. The problem with Gliscor is that when I switch it in on an electric attack, the opponent will often have an ice move as part of a (pseudo) boltbeam combo. With Scizor, they often switch to a fire type while I set up, and then I baton pass to Vaporeon to sponge the attack. Both Scizor and Gliscor have good synergy with Vaporeon.

Remember that this is for Swords Dance only and not other boosts, as those will be done by other teammates.

I would think Gliscor would be the better passer and Scizor recipient Gliscor has that bulk and Taunt which could keep your chain alive btw Sableye destroys Bayon Pass teams

Thanks. I guess I'll stick with my Gliscor as my passer.

Regarding Sableye, yeah I know. I really hate those pranksters, especially Whimsicott. I can switch in Espeon to bounce stuff back, though it means breaking the chain. However, if I have ingrain set up, then I'm screwed. Not everyone has them though, so with some prediction, baton passing can be pulled off.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Is there an IV spread for Hidden Power Fire with 31 Speed and an Attack IV as close to zero as possible? I generally like setting the Attack IV low on special sweepers to reduce confusion and Foul Play damage, but when my Pokemon use Hidden Power that becomes somewhat difficult.

Unfortunately, there's no way to obtain Hidden Power [Fire] with a 31 Speed IV; the best you can do is 30 due to how it's calculated. As far as I can tell, your optimal IV spread will be 31/2/31/30/31/30.

I have a couple if questions.

1.) Should I use Flamethrower instead of Heat Wave on Volcarona? I like that Heat Wave has more power and hits both Pokemon in double battles, but the accuracy constantly fucks me over. It misses ALL the time. I'm nit sure if it's worth it to replace it.

2.) I'm currently running a Haxorus with Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, and Aerial Ace. I'm looking for a move to replace Aerial Ace since I hardly ever use it. Any suggestions? Preferrably a TM move.

haunter

Banned deucer.
1) use flamethrower unless you're playing doubles, the slightly higher base power is not worth the loss in accuracy;
2) Use swords dance or brick break.

Do moves like Calm Mind and the Special Defense increase for Rock type Pokemon from Sand Storm affect which stat Download increases?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have a couple if questions.

1.) Should I use Flamethrower instead of Heat Wave on Volcarona? I like that Heat Wave has more power and hits both Pokemon in double battles, but the accuracy constantly fucks me over. It misses ALL the time. I'm nit sure if it's worth it to replace it.

2.) I'm currently running a Haxorus with Dragon Dance, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, and Aerial Ace. I'm looking for a move to replace Aerial Ace since I hardly ever use it. Any suggestions? Preferrably a TM move.
Outrage>Dragon Claw

@Alucard: Thanks! I'll look into Flamethrower and Brick Break. I don't see much point in Swords Dance since I already have Dragon Dance. I'd rather have an attack and speed boost rather than two attack boosts.
@Pokemon0078: Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather keep Dragon Claw. Outrage is good, but I have THE WORST luck with confusion. It's my least favorite status condition. I don't want to use a Lum Berry because I might get another status condition afflicted on me, and persim berry just seems like a waste of an item since I'll use it up in a few turns.

Is it possible to have a server (in PO or PS) where the Pokemon have customized base stats? To explain better why I'm asking this, take the following as an example:

There are six Bug-Steel types in the game. Currently, they belong to different tiers. Now if their BST are adjusted to be equal, while maintaining each of their inherent stat distribution, we'd get the base stats below:
Wormadam-S : 64 / 75 / 103 / 75 / 103 / 39
Forretress : 75 / 89 / 138 / 59 / 59 / 39
Scizor : 65 / 119 / 92 / 50 / 73 / 60
Escavalier : 65 / 125 / 97 / 56 / 97 / 19
Durant : 55 / 103 / 106 / 46 / 46 / 103
Genesect : 53 / 92 / 73 / 92 / 73 / 76
Provided everything else (movepool, abilities and typing) are to remain the same, how would that affect their viability?

Another example is below:
Beautifly: 72/83/60/107/60/77
Butterfree: 72/54/60/95/95/83
Combee: 57/56/79/56/79/132
Ledian: 65/41/59/65/129/100
Ledyba: 69/35/52/69/139/95
Masquerain: 76/67/69/89/91/67
Mothim: 76/102/54/102/54/71
Ninjask: 62/91/45/50/50/161
Scyther: 66/101/73/50/73/96
Vespiquen: 68/77/99/77/99/39
Yanmega: 76/68/77/103/50/85
The Bug-Flying Pokemon's never got much usage (with only Yanmega getting the highest, at BL). If they all have the same BST as everybody else, would they finally be worth it?

And another example:
Cobalion: 73/71/102/71/57/85
Terrakion: 73/102/71/57/71/85
Virizion: 73/71/57/71/102/85
Keldeo: 73/57/71/102/71/85
Tornadus: 63/91/55/99/63/88
Thundurus: 63/91/55/99/63/88
Landorus: 68/96/69/88/61/77
Reshiram: 67/81/68/101/81/61
Zekrom: 67/101/81/81/68/61
Kyurem: 87/90/63/90/63/66
And here we have the legendary Pokemon, characterized by their very high BSTs. If they have the same BST as a lowly Bulbasaur, or a mediocre Lapras, would their (usually unique) typings and massive movepools allow them to still be as viable?

PS. All the calculations make all Pokemon have BST of 459, for reasons too long to explain.

Ok, so I'm currently running a Volcarona with Flamethrower, Bug Buzz, Quiver Dance, and Psychic. Should I run Flamethrower, Quiver Dance, Sunny Day, and Solarbeam instead? Or stick with the set I have now? Also, if you choose the first one, any replacements for Psychic, or is it good. It's not a terrible move, but I wanna know if there's anything better out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)