Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition) - Mark II (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mkay, Im new so if im doing somthing wrong in this post feel free to delete it.
I was just wondering if i have a idea for a cap pokemon should i wait until cap officials open the forums to new ideas or should I make a thread for my idea to start the rest of the cap process.

Is there a reason why almost every single CAP is offensively or defensively balanced? (Examples: Syclant, Voodoom.) There are very few CAP Pokémon with good stat variation like Scizor or Kabutops. So what's the reasoning behind this?

Edit: I still don't see why it has to be done, but okay. And Stratagem? No, it's defensively balanced. Cyclohm? Yes

You mean like Stratagem or Cyclohm? Usually, balanced CAPs are made that way because they need to take or deal out hits equally on all sides. If the concept calls for something different, something different is supplied by the stat spread authors.

Is there a reason why almost every single CAP is offensively or defensively balanced? (Examples: Syclant, Voodoom.) There are very few CAP Pokémon with good stat variation like Scizor or Kabutops. So what's the reasoning behind this?
I don't quite understand what you mean. Stratagem, Cyclohm, Colossoil and Kitsunoh do not have balanced stats, exactly. Even Voodoom is not exactly offensively balanced (105 SpA to 85 Atk). The CAPs are not really too balanced. The CAPs that are balanced defensively (Argh, Rev, Fidgit, and Pyroak) are balanced because their concepts (or lack thereof) led to a wallish pokemon, and walls are better when they are balanced.

EDIT: O_o Ninja'ed by RD

Well, anyway, my question is this: Will we playtest the revised CAPs at all? In what metagame? Separately, or combined?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well, anyway, my question is this: Will we playtest the revised CAPs at all? In what metagame? Separately, or combined?
Once we get solid information on the 5th gen, the moderation staff will choose an appropriate course of action. If the changes are extremely large, we may retire the CAPs as an archive of how the concept worked in the 4th gen, and then recycle the concepts. If the changes are minor, the CAPs may be updated slightly with tutors and TMs and such.

Initial Question: Why don't we have somewhere a bit less formal where people can just pitch in with their own ideas?

Answered capably by Umbreon Dan: the CaP Kitchen is already close to that (and is also a good place for flavour topics, it seems). Thanks, Dan!

So now I have a new question: why isn't that better publicised? I've read most of the stickies around CaP, and much of the website, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned before. Perhaps it merits a line somewhere.

How do you get the Speed Factor (SF) of a pokemon? In order to better familiarize myself with the CAP project I'm going to try my hand at creating a few comprehensive and believable Fakemon that aren't overpowered.

I already have one that I've started on with a unique type combination and ability (that isn't broken) and now I'd like to put together a believable OU stat spread and movepool.

Ummmm... Since this is the 10th CAP, will we have a Historical Snapshot of the CAP Metagame? I assumed we did it every 5 CAPs...

Boss jr. said:
How do you get the Speed Factor (SF) of a pokemon?
The table is located here. Feel free to make your own fakemon, but remember the golden rule: "Don't post them in this forum"
ssbbm said:
Ummmm... Since this is the 10th CAP, will we have a Historical Snapshot of the CAP Metagame? I assumed we did it every 5 CAPs...
Zystral and I did something sort of like this for the Smog that will be released soon.

manav95 said:
Are you planning on creating a Pokemon that destroys entry hazards with the ability?
There was discussion of this for our first CAP, Syclant, but it was decided against for being too metagame-shifting.

So now I have a new question: why isn't that better publicised? I've read most of the stickies around CaP, and much of the website, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned before. Perhaps it merits a line somewhere.
It's not very active because it's tedious to check if someone posted. Also, if nobody posts there, why should you? Leading to a downward spiral.

So yeah.

Would you consider opening up submissions of well thought out and comprehensive CAP/Fakemon?

In order to not overwhelm the CAP officials there could be a rule... something like no more than 3 being considered at any given time. Then maybe a vote to see how the community views the pkmn and if one should be allowd into the metagame. The pkmn could be cosidered a "base" so to speak and changes could then be considered and applied where necessary.... and finally playtested.

Also none would be permitted during the playtesting phase of the current CAP so as to only allow playtesting of one pkmn at any given time.

I understand that something like this is unlikely to ever be even considered much less implemented, but if it were strictly regulated I think it could be a very successful feature without overwhelming the staff and/or officials appointed pkmn review team(s).

Just something I was thinking about. And not just because I myself have created fakemon, but because the reason I did was because I've seen so many that would be great additions to the metagame (in my opinion). There are so many great ideas out there I think it's such a shame that Game Freak didn't think of it. And then there's the CAP project....

I read in the Gen V leaks thread that Lightningrod now raises S.Atk when hit with an Electric attack. If we already thought that Motor Drive would be too much in comparison to Volt Absorb on Voodoom, Lightningrod, it's current 2nd ability, gives Voodoom pretty much a free Choice Specs boost when switching in on an electric attack, which seems even more OP.

Should this change warrant a revision sooner or later on Voodoom?

Denchura said:
Can we get a cap tournament or something going, servers are dead when ever i'm on.
Most people are waiting on Doug to add the revisions to the server before we get back on and play the new CAP metagame.
Yllnath said:
Should this change warrant a revision sooner or later on Voodoom?
No. The 5th generation metagame is changing in hundreds of ways, and we cannot anticipate whether Lightningrod will make Voodoom too powerful or not. Furthermore, we cannot even guarantee that we'll have Voodoom in the 5th gen. There are technical and policy issues in CAP on how to handle the 5th gen that we must first address.

Okay, with that said.... is the release of gen V going to effect the start of the next CAP or will it progress regardless and be revised when we know more about the gen V competitive environment?

Boss jr. said:
Okay, with that said.... is the release of gen V going to effect the start of the next CAP or will it progress regardless and be revised when we know more about the gen V competitive environment?
It will progress for Gen IV regardless. There is no intention of revising any CAP for the Gen V metagame at this time.

thejoker98 said:
Where can i give my ideas? the cap website doesnt help.
If you read carefully, it does. If by "ideas", you mean those of new Pokemon, please do not post them anywhere. They are against the rules. If you merely want to participate in the CAP process, wait for the next CAP to start and you can submit your ideas for discussion there.

Black and White will be changing the function of Lightningrod (now boosts SpA and creates an immunity to electric). Will there be a test phase to see whether Voodoom needs editting? In fact, what's going to be the effect of next gen on CAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)