Arceus Officially revealed!

Alredy knew he would be on the 12th movie, but we finally have coonfirmation.
This brings up one question: Seeing as it will be revealed, and later released, what should we do about Arceus? Allow it back when it is released? Or do it earlier?

Wow, the god pokemon stood through all the critisism and made it into the media! That's amazing. On the down-side, Arceus will probably rule the Uber environment, with those 120 base states :(

Call me when the Rowap Berry is released with it. Then the extended clause won't be needed anymore

Wow, the god pokemon stood through all the critisism and made it into the media! That's amazing. On the down-side, Arceus will probably rule the Uber environment, with those 120 base states :(
Not really. Arceus will definitely be good, but he most likely wont trump Kyogre as the top-used Pokemon. Arceus is definitely a good Pokemon. Having 120/120/120 defenses alone is enough for it to be really Bulky, not to mention it will never have a 4x weakness no matter what type it is. Having 120 speed allows it to outspeed Lati@s and anything slower than Lati@s. Its versatility will also allow it to fill a lot of lacking niches in the Uber tier. Grass Type Arceus would probably make a great non-Specs Kyogre and Fire Punch-less Groudon switch in. Ghost and Bug Type Arceus would definitely fill a couple holes. The list goes on and on and on.

However, there is one thing to take note about Arceus. Multitype is both a help and a hindrance. Sure, it allows Arceus to change into any type and Judgement's typing, respectively. However, it also makes it so that its ability is tied into the item that it's holding.

For example, Grass Type Arceus and Steel type Arceus would make fantastic Walls/Tanks in the Uber tier. However, in order to make it a Grass or Steel type, Arceus needs to forgo Leftovers recovery. If it wants to go on the offensive with a Dark, Ghost, Bug, or Dragon type, it has to forgo Life Orb or Choice Band or Choice Specs.

Though Normal typing isn't a terrible Tanking type in Ubers. Fighting Attacks aren't common in Ubers, and STAB Fighting is nonexistent, and Normal Arceus wont be hurt too badly by non-STAB Fighting moves. However, resistances are just as, if not more, important in Ubers than in OU. So it might not be the best idea to use Normal Arceus Defensively.

Normal does work pretty well offensively in Ubers, though, and anyone who was around before Arceus was banned from non-Extended games can tell you that Swords Dance Extremespeed Normal Arceus was pretty beastly in Ubers. Steel types and Rock types are the only ones that resist it and both are taken care of by Earthquake. Lugia?

Adamant 252 Atk Arceus SD Stone Edge vs. Bold 252 HP 52 Def Lugia (Great Wall set on the site): 76.20% - 89.66% (hi2u Stealth Rock).

If you want to go for Accuracy:

Adamant 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus SD Rock Slide vs. the Same Lugia: 74.52% - 87.74%.

Giratina was pretty much the only thing that reliably countered it, since SD Shadow Claw failed to OHKO and was one of the main reasons Giratina carried WoW.

If Ubers lacks one thing, it's reliable Physical Sweepers. If you're looking for Physical Sweepers in Ubers, you're pretty much looking at Rayquaza or Groudon, the only ones who are predominantly physical (though Rayquaza does sometimes carry Fire Blast over Earthquake to deal with Shedinja on top of Steels). Dialga can go physical, but is usually Special or Mixed. And non of them have a base Speed of over 95. Sure, you sometimes see the odd Weavile in Ubers, but good luck switching him in on anything that's not a revenge kill because if you think Weavile is hard to switch in in OU, good luck switching him in Ubers, because he WILL die if he takes a hit from anything that isn't Blissey or Lugia, and Tyranitar is a better Pursuiter for those two anyway. Because of this, I believe Arceus will predominantly fill the role of fast Physical Sweeper more than anything else in Ubers.

'course, using Normal Arceus brings back the fact that Multitype is either a help or a hindrance: If you're using Normal type Arceus, Arceus's ability is pretty much just wasted.

SD ES Arceus is rather deadly, however. If your opponent lacks Giratina, it most likely WILL take out at least 1 Pokemon, and with Arceus's Speed AND Bulk, it wont be uncommon to take out 2 or even more unless your opponent is smarter than you and Stalls out ES's meager 8 PP. 'course, if he can that, he probably deserves to take out Arceus anyway.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arceus will be awesome for this alone: It is the only pokemon who can use Draco Meteor while not being Dragon typed.

That opens up huge possibilities for LO Arceus, since it can still strike Dragons incredibly hard without itself being KO'd by Dragon attacks.

Sure, it learns Dragon Pulse too, but Draco Meteor slaughters so many more things.

I actually predict Fire Arceus will be quite popular. Judgement/Thunder/Draco Meteor/Recover covers a lot in Ubers, and it does deadly damage under the Sun. Blaze Plated Judgement in the Sun does more to Groudon than Solarbeam. The only nagging concern would probably be Tyranitar. I suppose you could run Grass Knot over Thunder, since they do the same to Kyogre.

mien

Tournament Banned
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It's about freaking time

can't wait to test several sets of Arceus in the uber metagame

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Its a Shoddy Clause that lets you use items and Pokemon that are not officially released yet, but are in the games programming.

Arceus will be awesome for this alone: It is the only pokemon who can use Draco Meteor while not being Dragon typed.

That opens up huge possibilities for LO Arceus, since it can still strike Dragons incredibly hard without itself being KO'd by Dragon attacks.

Sure, it learns Dragon Pulse too, but Draco Meteor slaughters so many more things.

I actually predict Fire Arceus will be quite popular. Judgement/Thunder/Draco Meteor/Recover covers a lot in Ubers, and it does deadly damage under the Sun. Blaze Plated Judgement in the Sun does more to Groudon than Solarbeam. The only nagging concern would probably be Tyranitar. I suppose you could run Grass Knot over Thunder, since they do the same to Kyogre.
1v1, your Fire Arceus is dying against both Tyranitar and Kyogre.

Modest 252 SpAtk Arceus Grass Knot vs. Careful 252 HP 216 SpDef Tyranitar under Sandstorm: 33.91% - 39.85%.
Vs. Adamant 252 HP 4 SpDef Tyranitar under Sandstorm: 45.30% - 53.22%

Careful 40 Atk TTar CB Stone Edge vs. 4 HP Fire Arceus: 96.07% - 113.09%

Modest 252 SpAtk Arceus Grass Knot vs. 4 HP Kyogre: 59.94% - 70.47%

252 Modest Kyogre Surf vs. 4 HP Fire Arceus in Rain: 128.8% - 151.3%

I'm really excited by this. I've always liked the potential possibility of Arceus because of the many options it can open up. It's going to evidently change the Uber metagame hugely, but there's going to be so many options it's going to be really fun to try out. Swords Dance / Extremespeed / Recover / Dragon Claw @ Life Orb anyone?

Anyway, I guess we'll have to see as we get closer to the said month!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Excellent. I can finally enjoy a battle with arceus that wasn't borne of being challenged by some chap's 'Ultimate team of death' on Shoddy.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I want to discuss Steel Arceus. IMO it makes a solid tank that can sweep

Arceus @ Iron Plate
(EVs/Nature undecided. You'd probably want at least 320 Speed though).
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover

Unlike other CMing Arceus, Steel Arceus is immune to Toxic naturally, and therefore has no need to use Refresh, Sub, or Safeguard to protect itself against Blissey's Toxic. This opens up for a great, and possibly essential move to this set, Roar.

Steel Arceus will find a place in the uber metagame, absorbing Draco Meteors and Outrages with ease, as well as abusing its other resists. I would like to mention SD Dragon Arceus here-it's really tough to counter that thing unless you have Scarf Dialga or can revenge kill it during Outrage. With Steel Arceus, that is no longer a problem unless it has Earthquake (EQ/Safeguard is interchangeable). Steel Arceus really shines on one thing, countering Dark Arceus (CM/Judge/Recover/status blocking move). It CMs alongside Dark Arceus and Roars it away.

Now while Judgment Steel sounds questionable, nothing's immune to it except Sheddy and Arceus needs it to pummel through Bliss and Kyogre.

Against the metagame:
- Mewtwo: Fears Judgment, can't really touch it after a CM
- Mew: Uhm..Roar it away if you can?
- Wobba: No
- Lugia: If it's faster than you watch out for Whirlwind. You can make Arceus faster than Lugia though
- Ho-oh: Biggest threat. Bring Stealth Rock
- Lati@s: Just set up and Roar them away
- Kyogre: Kyogre will beat Steel Arceus one on one, but can't switch in. If it does switch in you can CM/Recover on its face, or Judgment on Water Spouts. If it tries to CM alongside you, Roar it away
- Groudon: Can't take Judgment and EQ won't OHKO
- Rayquaza: See Groudon
- Deoxys: Dies
- Palkia: Can be set up on; watch out for CB Aqua Tail or Specs Fire Blast in the sun
- Dialga: CB Dialga's a pain. Special Variants can't break through this
- Giratina: Can Will-o-Wisp and nothing else
- Giratina-O: Not touching this
- Darkrai: Can't touch this either. Life Orbed Focus Blast will hurt though, but not if Arceus got a CM beforehand
- Arceus: Roar makes it tough for Normal or Ghost Arceus to set up. Best counter is probably Fire Arceus (in the Sun obviously).

IMO The best counter to this thing is Heatran. 4x resist to Steel and blasting fire attacks at full force.

So as you can see, it's not only quite tough to counter, it's very bulky and switches in easily too. I doubt that this will be overused (people will go to Extreme Killer, Ghost Dancer or SD/Outrage Dragon Arceus), but it's worth considering).

Arceus @ Iron Plate
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover

Unlike other CMing Arceus, Steel Arceus is immune to Toxic naturally, and therefore has no need to use Refresh, Sub, or Safeguard to protect itself against Blissey's Toxic. This opens up for a great, and possibly essential move to this set, Roar.

Steel Arceus will find a place in the uber metagame, absorbing Draco Meteors and Outrages with ease, as well as abusing its other resists. I would like to mention SD Dragon Arceus here-it's really tough to counter that thing unless you have Scarf Dialga or can revenge kill it during Outrage. With Steel Arceus, that is no longer a problem unless it has Earthquake (EQ/Safeguard is interchangeable). Steel Arceus really shines on one thing, countering Dark Arceus (CM/Judge/Recover/status blocking move). It CMs alongside Dark Arceus and Roars it away.

Now while Judgment Steel sounds questionable, nothing's immune to it except Sheddy and Arceus needs it to pummel through Bliss and Kyogre.

Against the metagame:
- Lugia: If it's faster than you watch out for Whirlwind. You can make Arceus faster than Lugia though
- Kyogre: Kyogre will beat Steel Arceus one on one, but can't switch in. If it does switch in you can CM/Recover on its face, or Judgment on Water Spouts. If it tries to CM alongside you, Roar it away
- Palkia: Can be set up on; watch out for CB Aqua Tail or Specs Fire Blast in the sun
- Darkrai: Can't touch this either. Life Orbed Focus Blast will hurt though, but not if Arceus got a CM beforehand
- Arceus: Roar makes it tough for Normal or Ghost Arceus to set up. Best counter is probably Fire Arceus (in the Sun obviously).

IMO The best counter to this thing is Heatran. 4x resist to Steel and blasting fire attacks at full force.

So as you can see, it's not only quite tough to counter, it's very bulky and switches in easily too. I doubt that this will be overused (people will go to Extreme Killer, Ghost Dancer or SD/Outrage Dragon Arceus), but it's worth considering).
Watch out for Blissey Paralyzing it though. God damn Ubers for being such a Speed-whore-fest, because everything's gonna attack it hard after getting Paralyzed and it might not be able to respond fast enough for a KO or Recover, or respond at all.

Yeah, the big thing about most of the tanking sets is that Arceus is the third fastest Uber after Mewtwo and Darkrai AND it can PHaze AND still has 120/120/120 Defenses AND it can Recover AND it can Attack fairly hard from both ends of the spectrum. Think all of the reasons Garchomp was banned from OU and then give Garchomp some more Steroids and you'll have Arceus.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Arceus @ Iron Plate
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
- Roar
- Recover

Against the metagame:

Wow, that Arceus set seems awesome Jibaku! I'm just wondering, would a Poison Arceus be viable for Toxic Spikes asorbing duties? Man, it seems like Arceus can do almost anything!

Edit: Wait, can't Darkrai put you to sleep and set up on you, Jibaku?

Syberia

[custom user title]
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Arceus gives the "it transformed" message after it is sent out, so I'm not sure if it even would absorb Toxic Spikes. Looks like it's something we'll need to test.

It's about time this thing came in. I was too late to use it before it was banned, so I'm very eager in testing this thing out once it is released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)