Apple Drank

Introduction

Its been a fun experience. As far as I can tell so far Rain Stall is outclassing it entirely but thats not to say hail stall is useless. I have a lot to say about it that ill get to in the descriptions of each pokemon. This RMT will feature two of the new cool battle videos at the end to show the team in action.

Team Building​

Ill be making this shorter than my full thought process because I was especially careful with typing synergy putting the team together.

Abomasnow and Blissey. Can't do Hail Stall without that can you? Now to cover the bases physically and make a core. What I needed was the best Fighting resistance available and I wanted to choose a spinner too. The choices I made may seem random but they're not by any means.

Now I couldn't possibly cover all of the threats in the game with only 2 slots left. I tried. Instead I decided to throw on to cover sand teams as well as possible and Jellicent for spin blocking, to make the team as effective as possible against archetypal teams.

Descriptions

Ability- Snow Warning
Nature- Calm
EVs- 248 HP, 84 def, 176 spD
-Leech Seed
-Protect
-Blizzard
-Grass Knot

Such a good pokemon on his own. Reading Lady Bug's hail stall RMT finally set me on an effective set to use that is still great this gen. Protect is hugely important here, to protect me from getting beat down by Choice attackers. The first STAB move is obvious, while Grass Knot gives me a 2HKO on Jellicent and a chunk out of Tar.

The residual damage hail generates is incredible for stall. Sand/Rain sweepers are so much easier to play around when they're getting pelted by hail every turn. People who have been switching non grass types into the set know how much it hurts, the compromise defensively is Ice/Grass typing, so you have to have a plan for the Fighting/Rock attacks that are very common and defeating sun that loads up on attackers can be difficult too. However, thanks to the rest of the team I am well defended against these threats.

If you hate Rotom-w/Scizor, try this out. It is so satisfying to watch a Scizor get worn down as you scout its move.

Ability- Levitate
Nature- Relaxed
EVs- 252 HP, 208 def, 48 spD
IVs- 31/31/31/31/31/2 (In case I want to use HP Ice in game lol)
-Stealth Rock
-Gyro Ball
-Earthquake
-Toxic

Bronzong sets up the massively important SR and provides the QuakeEdge resist Hail loves. I chose resisting that combo over having a Skarm sponge for CB Crunch Tyranitar, because Landorus and Excadrill are the threats you will see, Tar is too weak to threaten anything nowadays. Cloyster takes 42% max from standard WeakTar's Superpower. Bronzong provides me a more solid switch in to Latios then Blissey and takes on the new Flight Gem Gliscor, which can OHKO Cloyster at +2 if rocks are up. Tornadus could be threatening to this team as well, but again Bronzong takes pressure off of Blissey by dealing with mix sets reliably.

I can afford to run Bronzong as my lone Dragon resist, because Cloyster can go heads up with CB Haxorus and counter other variants well. These two help each other out with Landorus too, if it decides to run Smack Down today to beat Bronzong, Cloyster laughs at it. Bronzong finishes the resistance chart on this team except for Dark, which is simply unnecessary.

I have recently made a heavy Defense investment to survive two Choice Banded Crunches from Tyranitar and take on X-Scissor Excadrill.

Ability- Skill Link
Nature- Relaxed
EVs- 252 HP, 216 def, 40 spA
-Spikes
-Icicle Spear
-Hydro Pump
-Rapid Spin

In one of my old RMTs, I really put work into proving this is not a joke- http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102829

Here is basically a Forry with two 120+ BP STAB moves, Icicle Spear in particular being extremely useful with its multi-hit mechanics. Its bulk its comparable to Hippowdon and Tangrowth, so its effectively immune to other physical walls, which is where it uses Rapid Spin most often. Bronzong, Skarmory, and Gliscor, physical walls that you'll be seeing a lot all are set up on with incredible ease. Forry too until they started running Volt Switch, but that can be played around with Nidoqueen.

I tried to use this set last gen for fun, but it seemed to have no oppurtunities to switch in, where as now you can find one on practically any team. Not only that, but it incredibly strong offensively now. Icicle Spear surpasses Blizzard, and while Garchomp may have been banned, it is still plenty satisfying to have against Sub + Protect Gliscor, Ninjask, Dragonite, and pretty much any Subpuncher (even Breloom if you don't come in on a Focus Punch). Cloyster does a great job of keeping rocks off the field as the opponent may try to set up, against Tyranitar with a spinblocker in reserve this will be difficult, but thanks to hail + Toxic Spikes Jellicent is much easier to deal with. By the way have I mentioned its bulk?

Jolly Baloon Excadrill Rock Slide- 26.3-31.6%
+2 Jolly Baloon Excadrill EQ- 52.6-62.5%
+2 Adamant Life Orb Excadrill Rock Slide- 75.7-89.5%
Jolly Baloon Terrakion Close Combat- 61.2-73%
+2 Jolly Leftovers Garchomp Outrage- 61.5-73%
Jolly Chioce Band Mamoswine EQ- 38.8-45.7%
Adamant Choice Band Electivire Wild Charge- 73-86.8%
Adamant Choice Band Scizor U-Turn- 29.9-35.5%
+2 uninvested Gliscor EQ- 32.6-38.5%
Adamant Toxic Orb Breloom Seed Bomb- 45.4-53.9%
Adamant Toxic Orb Breloom Focus Punch- 84.9-100.7%

I really believe Cloyster is the best spinner available here. Pain Split Forretress and Hitmontop are other possible options under hail but both completely lack an offensive presence and aren't able to check many threats being set up bait for so much. The Ice typing defensively certainly is compromising but its power and defense prevent it from failing at its job. I really encourage you to try this out sometime, that is, if you can find a team it fits properly on.

Ability- Natural Cure
Nature- Bold
EVs- 120 HP, 252 def, 136 spD
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell
-Seismic Toss

Blissey is the obvious special wall. Wish+Protect is the way to go in hail to further rack up hail damage, scout, and to make fun of pesky Scizor/Rotom-W combos. Toxic is sadly absent because with Cloyster in particular worrying so much about a random Toxic I feel safer running Heal Bell. If I need to land a Toxic on anything Bronzong can usually take care of it. This set allows me to go to Abomasnow on Rotom-W and Leech Seed without worrying at all about WoW. Speaking of Scrotom-Wash I use 136 spD evs to avoid a 2HKO from Specs Hydro Pump in the rain and increase general special bulk, as its more useful then the HP EVs I could be using. Besides that you all know the drill, its Blissey.

Ability- Sheer Force
Nature- Bold
EVs- 252 HP, 240 def, 16 spD
-Toxic Spikes
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Blizzard

Nidoqueen is probably the best Fighting resist in the game right now. Conkeldurr and Terrakion are massive threats, that thankfully never run Earthquake and can be hit for solid damage by a Sheer Force attack. She shares nifty synergy with Jelli, taking on Fighting+Dark/Ghost combos while Jelli absorbs Fighting+Ice, two potent attacking combos. Absorbing T-spikes and laying them are where it helps this team in the battle of residual damage. All 3 attacks are important. Ground+Ice lets me hit a ton of threats for solid damage and Fire Blast roasts Scizor if Jelli goes down as well as Ferrothorn.

Just like Cloyster, Nidoqueen is a rock solid wall that can put the hurt on. The EV spread takes the highest physical jump point while ensuring a Timid Specs Tornadus can never OHKO at full health.

Ability- Cursed Body
Nature- Bold
EVs- 252 HP, 216 def, 40 spe
-Surf
-Will-o-Wisp
-Taunt
-Recover

It would be cool if there was another choice for a spin-blocker here, but there is not. I try not to agree with that statement but it is completely true here. Jelli takes the much needed role of a Fire resist on this team while spin-blocking. Optimizing the set has been annoying. I ran Subsitute/Scald/Taunt/Recover as a trolly attempt to reduce its Pursuit weakness and counter Reuniclus, but I don't have PP to waste stalling it and even if I did, Cursed Body doesn't activate when you're behind a Sub, defeating the idea of subbing until you can disable a move. However, it is pulling this off hilariously well with a Tormentran like effect while reducing my Tyranitar weakness so it can stay. Ill provide a log where it was useful later.

I made it Bold to take the physical Fire attackers and Scizor as easily as possible. +2 non LO Scizor doesn't 2hko a Calm Spread, and neither does Scarf Darmanitan under hail, so why not run a more economical Calm spread? I've thought about this but I want to be able to take those two on in as many different situations as possible, because the threats Calm Jelli covers are well taken care of already.

I have slightly changed the set. I've also found that it can beat Reuniclus that only run Psychic or Psyshock w/ Focus Blast! Assuming lefties.

Some of you may find Female Jelli ugly. I did at first but thanks to the sausage-fest I see on the ladder she looks beautiful!

Closing Words

This team is very fun to play with and quite effective unless you run into a CB Tyranitar or a CM Reuniclus. A Calm Mind set with Psyshock/Energy Ball/Recover doesn't even give me a chance to get extremely lucky with Jelli. Sadly I see these often low ladder. However, thats BW. You can't ever cover everything. I have recently considered running Deoxys-D over Nidoqueen and Skarmory over Bronzong to try though, so if you would like to try that out yourself go for it. I don't feel like the team would be as strong in that form but it certainly may be useful if you would like to crawl slowly up the ladder with it or just make it more reliable in general.

You may notice that this team ended up looking very similar to Lady Bug's 4th gen archived team here- http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80038

Simply swap the pokemon spinning, spin-blocking, and being the Steel type.

Here's a few great battles I want to show you-

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Irrelevant-vs-apple-drank--2011-08-10

Pride's (Irrelevant's) team is a lot of fun to play, and this game took the cake for the best I've played against him. A good way to describe this game is with the cliche "lots of twists and turns".

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-apple-drank-vs-Gier--2011-08-12

Another fun to watch battle that shows Sub Jelli and Cloyster doing work. This guy took about a minute for each move until mid game, so be grateful you don't have to experience that. That was the first and last ladder match I played that night because it took that long.

yee vs. it will work

I had a brick of gold in this log. It came down to Abomasnow vs. Resttalk Empoleon and a poisoned Rotom-W that could survive a Stealth Rock switch in by 1%. Abomasnow landed all 32 Grass Knots on Empoleon, and by the grace of a 1.3% chance it didn't get critted by any of them, which would've been able to get the kill. In the process we drastically whittle down each other's PP. I used all 8 Blizzards and none of them caught him awake for a freeze.

Leech Seed + Protect left. He's out of Rest Talk PP and is snoozing away. I believe I counted his rests and he had used 14 while I had 6 PP and Leech and Protect. After being so angry at myself for not EVing Aboma to outrun Empoleon I realized there was hope. When he swapped in Rotom-W and survived with 1% I used a Protect and just hoped Aboma could stall just enough.

He used his last rest. It was a 18% with one leech and one protect left. It hits an Ice Beam and has worn me down to 125 HP, him at 6%. ONE PROTECT LEFT! If I had used it just once more during the game I would've lost, but this gift for dealing with the lack of crits on my side was mine. I still have trouble believing this game went down the very last PP.

Here's the problem. My computer doesn't save logs of my own battles anymore as of this week. Biggest tragedy of my PokeCareer.

Edit- http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-yee-vs-It-will-work--2011-08-27

I hope you enjoyed reading this, if only to see a non Sand/Rain team. Its been refreshing to play with Hail and the most badass weather starter along with Hippowdon.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
ok here yee i'll make the threat list for you

REUNICLUS -- fuck you lost

CB Tar -- fuck i hope your opponent is an idiot

See, was that so hard?

In all seriousness I love this team and it's great. Don't underestimate Cloyster, people!

Alright, I just have one piece of advise, replace Grass Knot for Wood Hammer. Since T-Tar has higher sp.defense in the sandstorm(if it is set up) then Wood Hammer is a much better option. Also, its damage is higher and more reliable

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I suggest running Will-o-Wisp over Substitute on Jellicent. Your team is very stall based, but there are many pokes that are immune to Toxic which u'll have to WoW instead. Between Toxic and WoW. The only poke you can't hit is Heatran, which Jellicent beats anyways. I'd also suggest using Water Absorb, Cursed Body is very gimmicky and unreliable. Plus you don't want Abomasnow taking unnecessary hits when its against a rain team.

I'd disagree. Jellicent won't need Water Absorb since the only water attacks that threaten her at all are Specs Rain boosted attacks, which you've already EV'd Blissey to deal with. Whilst Cursed Body is only useful 30% of the time, 30% is better than 0%. It's great at dealing with opponents who can deal about 50% with their attacks; you can just Recover stall until Cursed Body activates, effectively phasing them.

Hi Yee

Excellent Hail stall team you have here, and it looks like it's solid as well.

As you have stated in your threatlist CM Reuniclus is big threat to this team, as it is to most stall teams, and your also quite weak to Thunderus and MixApe. You can fix this problem by running a Calm Mind + Roar Latias on your team. It will take care of the aformentioned threats and it will also provide you with a phazer so you can really abuse your hazards, Roar is also useful whenever you're facing a Baton Pass team. Now the problem is, what to replace on your team. I would use it instead of Nidoqueen who seems to be the most replaceable member.

Since opposing stall teams can also be a bit or a problem for you I suggest you to use 96 Spe EV's on Jellicent. This allows you to outspeed all Skarmory, Politoed, Blissey, etc which makes it easier to Taunt and thus cripple them. If you take my above suggestion and take out Nidoqueen, I also suggest Will-o-wisp on Jellicent instead of Substitute as without Toxic Spikes you can use the extra status move and crippling physical attackers who were dealt by Nidoqueen is also useful, it could also help you out a bit against Choice Band Tyranitar. Personally I actually do you use Water Absorb as it prevents opposing bulky water from burning with Scald, although you have Heal Bell Blissey to remedy this, so it's up to personal preferences.

Hope this helped and good luck with the team!

Thanks for the rates everyone!

Cursed Body Jelli is what I will stick with. I can't think of a single situation (assuming a healthy team) that I absolutely need her to take water attacks, and its helpful against Cloyster's multi hit Rock Blasts. Speed creep I will definitely look into because my current spread is a mess.

Ill look into CM Roar Latias. The only way she can help against Reuniclus though is by making it more likely that Jellicent will face it as a last pokemon one on one. I might even look into a Refresh+Roar set I can put Toxic on Blissey. Thanks that opens up some interesting new options for me :)

Solid team. Reuniclus and Tyranitar can give you some problems though. Reuniclus can set up on anything, nothing does good damageto it while he is immune to residual damage. Tyranitar cancels out your weather and can fire off a super powerful Stone Edge, Crunch or Aqua Tail and something will probably get KOed or at least take a huge blow, but Bronzong is a reasonable check.

A nice solution would be using Spiritomb > Jellicent. Spiritomb is immune to Psychic and Focus Blast and actually uses Reuniclus as setup fodder. Spiritomb can also sweep unprepared teams with Toxic Spikes support. The set I'm talking about is CroTomb:

Spiritomb @ Leftovers | Pressure
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Mind / Dark Pulse / Hidden Power Fighting / Rest

Hidden Power Fighting is here to beat Tyranitar, which is mildly annoying at the moment. Sleep Talk can be used over HP Fighting, but HP Fighting seems like a better fit for your team.

Good luck!

What does Hex do to a poisioned/burned Reuniculus?

You should really consider PainSplit/Psych Up/Dark Pulse/HP Fighting Spiritomb in the last slot. Helps verse CM and BU users. Idk if Spiritomb gets Hex but that might be an option, too.

Looks like a decent team. I look forward to trying out that Cloyster, but I noticed that it has 40 SpA EVs and it's not running any special attacks. Presumably you forgot to change that after replacing Hydro Pump with Rock Blast. Maybe dump them into Attack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)