Battle Spot Anti-Meta Double-Mega

Hello there Smogon community! TH638 here, bringing you my very first team. You can always find me in the OU and Other Metas room, again as TH638.
This team, as the title suggests, is a BSS(Battle Spot Singles) team that I built recently. It is special in that it uses two Mega Pokemon(which is in fact on every one of my BSS teams). If executed properly, this team can be surprisingly effective at taking down even the scariest of teams.
TEAMBUILDING PROCESS

I started off with my mixed defensive sr TTar because I loved the idea of it.

As always, I wanted to have 2 Megas, so I chose DDzard-X since it checks Rotom-W and resists Steel, Grass and Bug-types. It also counters Ferrothorn.

My team had a glaring Ground-type weakness and didn't handle Water-types and Mamo well, so I picked Specially Defensive Restom. It also counters Talonflame better than TTar.

I wanted a counter to Breloom and Kangaskhan, so Phydef SubSeed Gourgeist-XL was perfect for my team. It even resisted Water-types further.

My team lacked a Choice Scarfer&Knock Off user, so I picked Lando-T.

I took a moment to look over my team. My conclusion was "This team needs Aegislash.".
TEAM DETAILS

Tyranitar@Tyraintarite
Ability: Sand Stream
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/116 SpA/20 SpD
Moves:
-Stealth Rock
-Pursuit
-Ice Beam
-Earthquake
This variant checks a lot of threats in BSS on its own, partially with surprise factor. Stealth Rock needs no explanation. Pursuit is amazing against Gengar leads, since they will be destroyed even if they stay in. With the given EVs, Ice Beam OHKOes Lurechomp, Scarf Lando-T, any Gliscor variant, DDMence and severely hurts Breloom on the switch. and OHKOes the first 4 after SR damage. Earthquake gives TTar a way of dealing with Magnezone and provides perfect coverage with Ice Beam. Maximum HP gives TTar more bulk. 116 SpA EVs is for reasons listed above. 20 SpD EVs allow TTar to survive 2 Flash Cannons from Modest Magnezone, as well as 2 Hyper Voices from Cleric Sylveon.

Charizard@Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze pre Mega
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
Moves:
-Dragon Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Dragon Claw
-Roost
Good old standard DDzard. This is my way of dealing with Ferrothorn, as well as my sweeper. It can set up on a number of Pokemon with Roost under its belt, such as Rotom-W(you can stall out its Hydro Pump with Roost, it's bound to miss sometime.) and Thundurus, more easily. I use DC over Outrage because Outrage leaves Megazard-X vulnerable agains Ferrothorn switch-ins. I use Jolly over Adamant to outspeed Timid Choice Scarf Hydreigon and Landorus-T after a DD boost.

Rotom-Wash@Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/204 SpD/52 Spe, 0 Atk IVs
Moves:
-Rest
-Will-O-Wisp
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch
With this, I am not completely vulnerable against Suicune and Gyarados. It is specially defensive because I need a special wall. RestoChesto because Item Clause is a dick.

Gourgeist-XL@Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Bold
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/4 SpD/4 Spe, O Atk IVs
Moves:
-Substitute
-Leech Seed
-Will-O-Wisp
-Foul Play
This gives standard Mega Kangaskhan and Breloom nightmares since it renders them completely useless. It sets up Substitute as they switch out, giving it a chance to burn or Seed its opponent, while also being good for scouting. It is also fantastic against Wobbuffet since Wobbuffet can't Counter Gourgeist's Foul Play. Speaking of which, Foul Play stops setup sweepers such as Mega Scizor cold. Gourgeist can also Seed for Megazard-X, making it that much easier for the dragon to sweep. 0 Atk IVs lessen the amount of damage Gourgeist takes from opposing Foul Players, and is something that should be done on any Pokemon lacking a physical move.

Landorus-T@Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moves:
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Knock Off
-U-Turn
Standard Choice Scarf Landorus. Currently this is my only reliable "check" to Blaziken since it Intimidates it. This is my revenge killer and Knock Off user. It also U-Turns out to TTar against Gengar for the guaranteed kill on the ghost. It can do the same against unsuspecting Garchomp as well.

Aegislash@Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 SpD
Moves:
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
In my opinion, every team needs a Steel-type. Aegislash is the best Steel-type overall, and my team was lacking specially offensive presence, so I picked Aegislash. Plus, this team gets smashed by Mega Gardevoir or any other form of Pixilate, so this pick was necessary.
THINGS THAT WILL MAKE YOU CRY
red=very dangerous, orange=threatening, blue=pesky

-As soon as you see the burning chicken, your alarms should go off like crazy. Blaziken is by far the biggest threat to this team. I am even considering a Phydef Restom just for this thing.
Garchomp(the image for this loves to trell me) - Even though TTar checks this, it is still a shaky check. Fire Blast gives Gourgeist issues but if it lacks the move Gourgeist easily takes care of it. It can't even set up since Foul Play destroys it that way.
-Opposing Aegislash are troublesome if you bench Rotom. Your own Aegislash can face it but it is a matter of luck, depending on who underspeeds. Landorus can revenge kill it with some prior damage.

Stealth Rock- Charizard cries in the face of Stealth Rock and this team has no way of removing it. Still, it has counters to every relevant setter, and Stealth Rock isn't as common in BSS as it is in Smogon.
+
- Poison Heal Breloom with Substitute and Bulk Up counters Gourgeist and can become troublesome. However, Frisk reveals its item, and you should be able to act accordingly. Still, it can screw up your momentum.
- This team can't hit Rotom-W super effectively and both of my special attackers hate burns. Plus, Charizard can't switch in unless it has gone Mega.
- Suicune is... uh... mmm... You should be fine, nobody uses it right? right... stupid water dog. Go back to the North, dumbass.
- Nothing on my team hits it super effectively and it beats Gourgeist 1v1. However, it will be severely worn down, and sandstorm makes Synthesis restore only 25% so it's not that big of a threat.
- Mega Sableye is uncommon, but it may cause issues if you see it. The team in general lacks the raw power to break through CM Sableye-M and it can become impossible to stop once it sets up. However, Charizard manages to kill it, albeit with some difficulty, with its immunity to WOW.

- Due to its access to Guts and Knock Off, Conkeldurr can prove to be a nuisance to this team. Aegislash takes care of it, but that is pretty much the only way to take care of it, and if it runs Brave with 29 Speed IVs then you must resort to Charizard-X's raw power.
Having only one Mega per battle- It may cause troubles in Team Preview where both TTar and Zard are needed in their Mega formes. Luckily, TTar still does pretty much the same thing in its base form, but worse.

That is pretty much all the problems I could think of when using this team. Please leave your comments down below: I am open to criticism. After all, we all seek to improve ourselves :D

Last edited:
Cool looking team man. Since you have problems with rotom-w and suicune(which a lot of people do use btw), i would reccomend rocky helmet serperior with reflect + synthesis over gourgeist since it also checks breloom and kanga like you wanted gourgeist to do. It also deals with conk pretty well.

Serperior @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 116 HP / 220 Def / 172 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Synthesis
- Leaf Storm
- Glare

This ev spread makes sure you live mega kanga double edge and with reflect up it will do less than you heal with synthesis. And it has enough speed to outrun chomp. This is a common set, actually taken from the bss smogon analysis.

I think physically defensive rotom would be a nice change to make as well, it would help against blaziken a lot more. Rotom generally doesnt really need spdef for much in the meta anyway.

And also, this isnt a comment about your team, but with zard x you mentioned it can set up in front of rotom-w and thundurus but that is far from the truth. Thundurus will twave you and rotom-w often has specs, which will ohko with hydro pump against the ev spread you have.

Thanks man, I'll try serperior. And I forgot to mention that zard x can set up on DEFENSIVE rotom. And I completely forgot about T-Wave. My bad.

Thanks man, I'll try serperior. And I forgot to mention that zard x can set up on DEFENSIVE rotom. And I completely forgot about T-Wave. My bad.
With dragon claw, you can't really afford to set up on defensive rotom either.

4 SpA Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 76-90 (49.6 - 58.8%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 94-112 (59.8 - 71.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

With Outrage you get a change to KO though and only need a bit of prior damage. I generally think Outrage is better as a sweeping move and as someone who's been using Zard X, I can tell you that outrage has never been unreliable for me to a point where i've ever considered d claw. I'd give it a try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)