VGC Another Mega Ampharos Team

This is my second attempt at making a team based around my favorite Pokémon, Mega Ampharos. However, this team is far superior to its last iteration, as I've have now gone through battling 101 and my team building skills are much better (Shout out to Jio!!). I tried to use more obscure Pokémon, as I find it frustrating to run into the same cookie cutter team over and over again, and I don’t want to fall into the same pattern. This team is also based around TR to make Mega Ampharos as useable as possible.

Aromatisse @ Safety Goggles

Ability: Aroma Veil

Level: 50

EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD

Relaxed Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Trick Room

- Moonblast

- Heal Pulse

- Protect

Aromatisse is the main Trick Room Setter of this team, and with its ability aroma veil and the item safety goggles, it is extremely reliable. Trick Room is self-explanatory, and moonblast can deal decent damage to mons who are weak to it, as Aromatisse's SpA isn’t too terrible. The third slot is a tossup between Heal Pulse and Helping hand. Helping hand can, in a way, give Arromatisse some offensive Presence, especially with Heatran's Heat Wave. However I ended up going with Heal Pulse as it has turned out to help me in a pinch more than helping hand. I would be up for changing this slot however. The given EVs and nature guarantee that I live a max Atk life orb Bisharp Iron Head, which is rather important because Bisharp is the standard TR Check. I am also guaranteed to live a sludge bomb from non-mega, timid Gengar, another Mon used against TR. Max SpA Aegislash only OHKOs 6.3% of the time as well.

Conkeldurr @ Assault Vest

Ability: Guts

EVs: 20 HP / 244 Atk / 12 Def / 232 SpD

Brave Nature

- Drain Punch

- Mach Punch

- Knock Off

- Ice Punch

Assault Vest Conkeldurr Works wonders on this team, helping deal with Mega Kang, Opposing Heatran, and Bisharp. I go with Drain Punch over hammer arm because the healing does help with Conkeldurr's bulk, while not sacrificing TOO much power. Mach punch helps pick off weakened foes, and also helps Arromatisse set up TR by knocking out non sashed Bisharp. Knock off helps with Gengar as well, 2HKOing most as they run Focus Sash. Ice punch helps with Garchomp and Landorus, 2 threats to my team (mainly Lando). The given spread I got off of Smogons VGC analyses, however I can’t find the article now. I’m guaranteed to live a Jolly Mega Kang double edge. I also take pitiful damage from not super effective special attacks.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry

Ability: Flash Fire

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Quiet Nature

- Heat Wave

- Flash Cannon

- Earth Power

- Protect

Heatran Provides a Good answer to Sylveon, Mega Mawile, and Mega Gardevoir, 3 huge threats to my Team. With Shuca Berry I can do things like live a max Atk Scarf Lando-T EQ. Heat wave is a great Stab Attack that helps with Mawile and Amoongus. Flash cannon deals with Fairies, and Earth power is my coverage option. The Set is pretty straightforward, as Heatran wants as much power as possible, and taking EVs out of SpA doesn’t really help me live anything important that isn’t better used by maxing out SpA.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite

Ability: Mold Breaker

EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 144 SpA / 68 SpD

Quiet Nature

- Thunderbolt

- Dragon Pulse

- Substitute

- Protect

The Gem of this Team, Mega Amphy to take the stage, dealing massive damage with its sky high SpA Stat. Thunderbolt is its most powerful Stab, and takes care of mons like Talonflame and Char-Y. Dragon Pulse is my second stab, doing things like 2HKO Lando-T. I find ample opportunity to set up Sub, especially when led with Aromatisse, as the opponent will likely Double Target it in the hopes of knocking it out. The given Spread allows me to survive a timid, life orb Garchomp Dragon Claw, and I also survive a max Atk, non-band, EQ from Lando-T. With the SpD investment, I survive a life orb Sylveon Hyper Voice, I never get 2HKOed by Max SpA Aegislash shadow Ball, and usually don’t get 2HKOed by ice beam from Ludicolo. The rest of the EVs get dumped into SpA for all the attacking power as I can get.

Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Harvest

EVs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 124 Def / 60 SpD

Brave Nature

- Trick Room

- Will-O-Wisp

- Horn Leech

- Protect

Trevenant is my Secondary TR setter, and can take advantage of it as well. With Will-O-Wisp, it acts as a good check to Kang, and also to Lando-T. In fact, a big part of Trevanant's Job is to help against Lando-T. With Harvest and Sitrus Berry, Trevenant often lasts longer than it should. However, Trevenant does still fall weak to Bisharp, Gengar, Aegislash, and Heatran. These weaknesses are compounded with Aromatisse, so I often do need to be aware of their presence and deal with them accordingly

Gyarados @ Lum Berry

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 8 Def / 56 SpD

Adamant Nature

- Waterfall

- Ice Fang

- Taunt

- Protect

Gyarados is the team mate I most want advice on, as I feel its slot could be better used, I just don’t know with what. Currently, Gyarados acts as another check to Lando-T, along with taunt to shut down Amoongus. The Spread allows me to be 3HKOed by LO Sylveon Hyper Voice and Scarfed Lando-T rock slide. Lum is there to help against Burns and Sleep.

All Feedback is Appreciated, Let me know what you guys think!

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
How do you fare against a tflame+kanga lead? The team looks solid, but it looks like you can manage at most a 50/50 against it. You'd have to lead either gyara+amphy, which doesn't set tr, or be forced to predict whether kang will fake out, pup on tflame, or go for a straight double edge. Although aromatisse can live a -1 dedge+brave bird, it can't live an extra fake out and brave bird.

I can't think of a solution besides stone edge tran or a mon switch, which could potentially open up more holes, but this should be something to consider.

Last edited:
How do you fare against a tflame+kanga lead? The team looks solid, but it looks like you can manage at most a 50/50 against it. You'd have to lead either gyara+amphy, which doesn't set tr, or be forced to predict whether kang will fake out, pup on tflame, or go for a straight double edge. Although aromatisse can live a -1 dedge+brave bird, it can't live an extra fake out and brave bird.

I can't think of a solution besides stone edge tran or a mon switch, which could potentially open up more holes, but this should be something to consider.
That lead combo is a problem, and others like Landorus-T and Charizard-Y do as well. I wouldn't be opposed to running Stone edge on Heatran, although now that you've made me consider it, how would stone edge on Gyardos work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)