Almost Any Ability ORAS Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
So should lucario/ dragonite go down now (lol arcanine unlisted) that they miss protean extremespeed and have to settle for tough claws/download to reach similiar levels of power and their niches's are overall threatened outside of being a check to gale wings (which now requires prior damage or SR against the Hp/Atk builds) I find that dragonite especially to be problematic

So should lucario/ dragonite go down now (lol arcanine unlisted) that they miss protean extremespeed and have to settle for tough claws/download to reach similiar levels of power and their niches's are overall threatened outside of being a check to gale wings (which now requires prior damage or SR against the Hp/Atk builds) I find that dragonite especially to be problematic
I think Lucario should stay where it is. I initially got it put there (in the old thread) because of tough claws. I honestly think that tough claws is better (1.33 boost to all moves) than protean ever was simply because of how crazy strong close combat was, and extremespeed was still enough to snipe fast things (iirc it OHKOed offensive Keldeo.) To be honest, maybe it should have moved up during the protean craze. but a- seems fine to me for now.

I don't know why Arcanine wasn't ranked, I guess nobody mentioned it. It probably deserved A, but now it's probably outclassed by Entei and Victini together, so I don't see a real reason to rank it now. I'd like these ranks to stay really general, and not cater to "we need to put this in because it has tiny niche X." Not to specifically call out the OU guys, but we're never going to put the Mantines of AAA on this, because we don't have enough activity to warrant it plus I think putting EVERYTHING that is "viable" is kind of ridiculous. If somebody makes a good argument however, Arcanine will go on somewhere.

Also Kl4ng can you make some general changes to account for protean being gone? I'm not going to list specifics, but move down stuff like Dragonite (and maybe Gengar, it really carved a niche out of checking ExtremeSpeed spam.)

Changes:

Regirock from B+ to A-

Heliolisk from Unlisted to C

Gyarados-Mega from Unlisted to A

Breloom from B- to B

Gengar from A to A-

Dragonite from A- to B

Sneasel from Unlisted to B-

Azelf from A- to B

Latios from A to A-

Thundurus-I from A+ to A

Landorus-I from A to A-

Mantine from Unlisted to C

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Just noticed Hydreigon is not listed and it needs to be because it is my fav poke. Maybe I can make this post look decent because I am not on mobile for once.

I just want to say that I will not buy ninty pkmn games until they make mega hydreigon.

So lately I have been experimenting with hydreigon when I get time. This is a mon with so much potential due to its across the board high stats. It has many sets, all of which are very powerful and hard to face, especially considering very few people know what it does. Hydreigon can absolutely obliterate stall teams, and it can be a royal pain for offense to deal with with the right set. Here is the first set:
Hydreigon @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper
Evs: 252 Satk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Modest nature
- Focus Energy
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

This set has a place in my part as being one of the best one-mon stallbreakers around. Even some of the bulkiest pokemon fall to sniper Hydreigon's power. Very few mons on stall teams can stand up to this things sheer power, and basically the only way they can kill it is to have no rocks and moonblast on cresselia. This is one of the most amazing one-slot stallbreakers available, and whenever I hear about stall circlejerks I just slap this thing on every team. The critical hit draco meteor is very powerful and can beat almost any mon you will ever see on stall teams.
252+ SpA Sniper Hydreigon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cresselia on a critical hit: 414-489 (93.2 - 110.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Suicune on a critical hit: 333-393 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 328-387 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Regirock on a critical hit: 339-400 (93.1 - 109.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability / Tinted Lens
Evs: 252 Satk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power / U-turn

In UU, this thing is hard enough to switch into already, but on an adaptability set this thing is literally impossible to switch into. If you want even more stallbreaking power, you can even use Tinted Lens, which makes this thing even more of a nightmare. The last slot depends on what you want. Earth Power gives you coverage in most scenarios, but I have found in many cases that EP is kind of redundant since most flash fire steels are neutral to EP or are also weak to something else. U-turn lets this thing pivot around like crazy, making it a nightmare for offense to face. This hydreigon has something larger for opponents to look at as well. The fact that it is decently bulky even uninvested makes it absolute torture to face; it is literally a dream poke to have. Extreme power, Good bulk, good speed, and a great movepool.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability / w/e you want
Evs: Variable by set
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse / Superpower / Earth Power / Fire blast
- Iron Tail / Superpower / Earth Power / Fire Blast

One of the great things about Scarf Hydreigon is that you will always get special walls switching in. If the opponent has a fairy, that will come in too. This makes Scarf Hydreigon an opportunity to be a great lure using a mixed set. Iron Tail allows it to obliterate uncommon fairy switch-ins (there aren't very many fairies in this meta) and Superpower lets it hit special walls hard. U-turn is great on a scarf for pivot reasons (obvious) and can allow it to pivot out of Cresselia to something like Bisharp, who is actually a great partner for this thing since scarf Hydreigon beats up on offense as well.

Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Adaptability?? / Doesn't matter
Evs: Depends on the set
- Draco Meteor / Outrage / Dragon Pulse
- U-turn / Earth Power / Fire Blast / Focus Blast / Surf / Superpower / Earthquake / Iron tail (pick 3)

This set is a lure for whatever the hell you want. This set is designed to be completely customizable, and it takes advantage of hydreigon's massive movepool. The Evs, Nature, and Moveset are completely customizable, and this set really shows off Hydreigon's Versatility and power.

Hydreigon Deserves B+ or A- rank in the modern metagame. It just obliterates stall teams while maintaining a ton of annoyance against balanced and offensive teams due to its bulk, power, and unpredictability. The Unpredictability allows this thing to be a huge pain against offense because nothing can safely switch in until they know what set. Even then they may fall to the occasional lure move. If they don't, Hydreigon just u-turns out and gains tons of momentum for the team. Hydreigon is a great mon atm and since its my favorite I use it on almost all my teams because its so awesome, and good for me that it is also very powerful and unexpected in the metagame atm.​

I would also like to add that in general, Hydreigon's resistance to Sucker Punch is an incredibly awesome advantage for any offensive team, due to how incredibly deadly Bisharp is in this metagame.

And here is a set that I used in my team prior to the Protean ban:

Hydreigon (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Superpower

It is basically a single Pokémon capable of reflecting entry hazards and status moves while at the same time providing the team with a resistance to Sucker Punch and at the same time possessing immense specially-offensive power. It may not be the overall best countermeasure to Sucker Punch, or the best Magic Bounce Pokémon, or the best specially-offensive threat... but hey, at least it can allow a team to fulfil all of those roles while taking up only one team spot. I am not sure how viable this moveset is on any team other than my own though...

Aegislash to A+
Why is aegislash so low? Even though it has to stick with stance change it's still an amazing mon that checks some very prominent threats in the metagame, such as birdspam, espeed spam other than entei, and deoxys-s. The old standard set is still very good, and I have recently been using the 252 speed naive set that was somewhat popular before it was banned, and it works really well as both a bisharp lure and something to smack walls that think they outspeed.

Gengar for A
Even with protean gone, espeed spammers are still powerful and gengar is the best check to them even better than aegislash. Even putting aside that, the life orb sheer force set is just so overwhelmingly powerful, it basically gets a kill every time it comes in. The only counters are shit like assault vest goodra, as even poison heal goodra is 2hkod. Could be wrong as I can't calc, but my point stands; if you dont have goodra, or a bulletproof poison resist, you will get wrecked by gengar.

Can someone explain to me why zapdos and mamoswine are A+? And why is vaporeon B- while alomfishthing is unranked and suicune is only 1 rank a above it in A-? Finally, Honchkrow should be A or A+ for being one of the three best gale wings users, along with braviary and staraptor.

Changes:
Aegislash: A- to A+
Gengar: A- to A
Honchkrow: B- to A+/A
Vaporeon: B+ to unranked
Sunfish thing: unranked to B+
Ps sorry if a if have short arguements, on my phone.

Aegislash to A+
Why is aegislash so low? Even though it has to stick with stance change it's still an amazing mon that checks some very prominent threats in the metagame, such as birdspam, espeed spam other than entei, and deoxys-s. The old standard set is still very good, and I have recently been using the 252 speed naive set that was somewhat popular before it was banned, and it works really well as both a bisharp lure and something to smack walls that think they outspeed.

Gengar for A
Even with protean gone, espeed spammers are still powerful and gengar is the best check to them even better than aegislash. Even putting aside that, the life orb sheer force set is just so overwhelmingly powerful, it basically gets a kill every time it comes in. The only counters are shit like assault vest goodra, as even poison heal goodra is 2hkod. Could be wrong as I can't calc, but my point stands; if you dont have goodra, or a bulletproof poison resist, you will get wrecked by gengar.

Can someone explain to me why zapdos and mamoswine are A+? And why is vaporeon B- while alomfishthing is unranked and suicune is only 1 rank a above it in A-? Finally, Honchkrow should be A or A+ for being one of the three best gale wings users, along with braviary and staraptor.

Changes:
Aegislash: A- to A+
Gengar: A- to A
Honchkrow: B- to A+/A
Vaporeon: B+ to unranked
Sunfish thing: unranked to B+
Ps sorry if a if have short arguements, on my phone.
Zapdos is A for being a great user of Magic Bounce, as it has few weaknesses, Defog, and recovery in Roost. Easily one of the best defoggers in the tier, along with Skarmory. Vaporeon is B+ due to it's ability to pass nice slow wishes, and regen with Poison Heal. Suicune and Vaporeon are very different pokemon, and not many people prepare for Vaporeon as much as Suicune. Mamoswine is A+ because with Adaptability istcan hit a lot of things hard, and has priority with Ice Shard, though I haven't used him so don't trust me (if I'm incorrect say so and I'll edit.)

Not to mention Gengar is killed by Bisharp who is(or was, haven't played in a while) pretty common. Aegislash is also killed by Knock Off if he gets around King's Shield and is trapped by Pursuit, as well as many other fast threats and weather teams.

252+ Atk Black Glasses Adaptability Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 676-796 (259 - 304.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Adaptability Bisharp Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 340-400 (130.2 - 153.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Adaptability Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 384-456 (118.5 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

And why is vaporeon B- while alomfishthing is unranked and suicune is only 1 rank a above it in A-?.
My post from the Creative Sets thread:

Vaporeon @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Wish
- Protect
- Baton Pass
- Scald

Poison Heal Vaporeon is so good in this tier it's not even funny. Wish + Baton Pass means you can pass safe wishes so that your sweepers can have a second chance, while Wish + Protect + Poison Heal means it never dies itself. In fact, if the opponent is burned/poisoned and can't do 75%+ damage to vaporeon, it will be unable to touch Vaporeon and eventually succumb to its status. It can check a variety of things like Keldeo and Kyurem, and thanks to baton pass can beat every type of CroCune in a PP stall war. It's just in general fantastic glue for a team, and should be used far more often in my opinion.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-138929199
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-141683741
I'd even go so far as to say Vaporeon is better than Cune is this metagame honestly, though people probably disagree with me so I won't push for it to be elevated in the ranks.

Zapdos is A for being a great user of Magic Bounce, as it has few weaknesses, Defog, and recovery in Roost. Easily one of the best defoggers in the tier, along with Skarmory. Vaporeon is B+ due to it's ability to pass nice slow wishes, and regen with Poison Heal. Suicune and Vaporeon are very different pokemon, and not many people prepare for Vaporeon as much as Suicune. Mamoswine is A+ because with Adaptability istcan hit a lot of things hard, and has priority with Ice Shard, though I haven't used him so don't trust me (if I'm incorrect say so and I'll edit.)

Not to mention Gengar is killed by Bisharp who is(or was, haven't played in a while) pretty common. Aegislash is also killed by Knock Off if he gets around King's Shield and is trapped by Pursuit, as well as many other fast threats and weather teams.

252+ Atk Black Glasses Adaptability Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 676-796 (259 - 304.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Adaptability Bisharp Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 340-400 (130.2 - 153.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Black Glasses Adaptability Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 384-456 (118.5 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I will back up much of what spoonal said here.

Magic Bounce Zapdos is one of the best bouncers in the tier. It has nice bulk and decent utility, but what really makes it shine is the way it screws over skarmory and gain momentum at the same time. Its powerful volt switch lets it make use of the switch-ins it gets with bounce.

Mamoswine has a few sets that are used, but the best one is the adaptability set. Refrigerate hits a bit harder with frustration/return but trades much of its versatility. Skill link is honestly just worse and really should not be used. Technician is interesting and can hit for a ton if you get a bit of luck on icicle spear. Adaptability is just the best overall ability as it can reliably 2hko skarmory with an item boosted icicle crash, and provides the same power to all of mamoswine's other relevant moves. What makes Mamoswine useful in the meta over other adaptability users is its typing. ground/ice is good offensively as it has few resists and defensively as it can switch in on electric types who rely on hp ice for coverage. Assuming one can avoid taking a heat wave on the switch Mamo is very good at coming in on zapdos and forcing a painful switch in return.

Vaporeon's main niche is the wish baton passer as has been mentioned before. Its a complete stallmon and kinda meh in the current meta. Not the greatest pokemon but one could do worse. I have not seen alomomola used at all in AAA, which is a bit of a shame. That pokemon does have some unused potential. Suicune has fallen in usage hard and for good reason. These days everybody packs a keldeo counter of some sort, and these conveniently also dominate suicune just as hard as they do for the pony.

To me gengar's use in AAA was not for the his ability to switch in on espeed, but rather his threatening presence and amazing movepool. With sheer force he can bring quite a lot of pain and has the moves needed to beat the pink blobs as well. I am surprised that I don't see him used more. Gengar is a solid overall pokemon.

Aegislash has the problem of relying on stance change to do damage. This means other pokemon, like gengar, will have the same level of coverage and always do more damage. It also means that combined with his lack of recovery and utility moves aegis will never live up to the other pure walls of the tier like skarmory or regirock. Having said that, ghost/steel is amazing typing and will likely always keep aegis as an A tier threat. It is still a good wallbreaker with fantastic typing, stats, and signature move.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shouldn't Deoxys-S drop because of the Protean ban too? I'm pretty sure Protean was the main set (correct me if I'm wrong), so it just seems logical for it to drop.

Keldeo has been removed due to its recent ban - and due to this I've also dropped both Celebi and Jellicent from A- to B+ and B+ to B respectively since their main selling point - countering Keldeo - is no longer there to help them compete for a team slot.

Will also post up suggested changes soon.

3 day bump, oh well. Gonna cover some fire types in this nomination:

Heatran for A+ Rank
I made a post in the old viability ranking thread about why Heatran is good, so I'll keep it brief here. First of all, the chlorophyll eruption set is almost unstoppable. It almost mandates running some kind of flash fire pokemon or fast scarfer. 2HKOs the likes of chansey and suicune, and just flat out OHKOs things like Latios and Terrakion. Once it gets in for free, Heatran ALWAYS gets kills against teams without flash fire mons or AV regen Goodra.
Then there is the levitate set. Only 2 weaknesses, a number of resistances that's almost hard to count, great defenses, access to will-o-wisp, roar, and stealth rock; Heatran has all it needs to be a good wall aside from reliable recovery.
Water absorb can be used to counter suicune with a combination of taunt and will-o-wisp. It can also run a stallbreaking prankster set, a magic bounce wall set, a regenerator set, etc., etc., etc. Overall, a very versatile mon that performs well both offensively and defensively.

Entei for A+ Rank
I've been running this thing on sun, and man, it puts in so much work. With tinted lens and sun, Entei becomes the physical equivalent of chlorotran, except without as much power, but with more sacred fire burns.
And it can also run several more sets; the refrigerate/pixilate revenge killing sets are very popular, and for good reason; it's hard to wall, and will completely stop your sweep with a simple extremespeed.
Entei can even take on more bulky roles; It can run a burn shuffler set with Poison Heal, roar, and sacred fire, or even an Assault vest Regenerator set to tank special hits with its 115/85/75 bulk.

So I didn't showcase the defensive sets, mainly because I am currently working on sun offense, but here are the replays of Heatran and Entei on sun offense (these sets could warrant A+ rank alone, even without the versatility)

(tbh heatran and possibly entei probably deserve S rank, but 1 step at a time, I guess.)

Last edited:
3 day bump, oh well. Gonna cover some fire types in this nomination:

Heatran for A+ Rank
I made a post in the old viability ranking thread about why Heatran is good, so I'll keep it brief here. First of all, the chlorophyll eruption set is almost unstoppable. It almost mandates running some kind of flash fire pokemon or fast scarfer. 2HKOs the likes of chansey and suicune, and just flat out OHKOs things like Latios and Terrakion. Once it gets in for free, Heatran ALWAYS gets kills against teams without flash fire mons or AV regen Goodra.
Then there is the levitate set. Only 2 weaknesses, a number of resistances that's almost hard to count, great defenses, access to will-o-wisp, roar, and stealth rock; Heatran has all it needs to be a good wall aside from reliable recovery.
Water absorb can be used to counter suicune with a combination of taunt and will-o-wisp. It can also run a stallbreaking prankster set, a magic bounce wall set, a regenerator set, etc., etc., etc. Overall, a very versatile mon that performs well both offensively and defensively.

Entei for A+ Rank
I've been running this thing on sun, and man, it puts in so much work. With tinted lens and sun, Entei becomes the physical equivalent of chlorotran, except without as much power, but with more sacred fire burns.
And it can also run several more sets; the refrigerate/pixilate revenge killing sets are very popular, and for good reason; it's hard to wall, and will completely stop your sweep with a simple extremespeed.
Entei can even take on more bulky roles; It can run a burn shuffler set with Poison Heal, roar, and sacred fire, or even an Assault vest Regenerator set to tank special hits with its 115/85/75 bulk.

So I didn't showcase the defensive sets, mainly because I am currently working on sun offense, but here are the replays of Heatran and Entei on sun offense (these sets could warrant A+ rank alone, even without the versatility)

(tbh heatran and possibly entei probably deserve S rank, but 1 step at a time, I guess.)
I agree with heatran, it just has so much power, ohkos bulky shit like dragonite and victini while outspeeding almost everything in the game. It also resists the most promient forms of priority, extreme speed (both pixilate, refrigderate, and normal)and brave bird, allowing it to run through many offensive teams and every stall that doesnt have ass vest goodra. I mean, eruption fucking 2hkos chansey! A+ plz.

Apologies for double posting, but it has been over a day so I hopefully nobody minds.

Lucario for A+

I think that Lucario deserves A+ for its tough claws set, and is, in my opinion, the best sweeper in the game right now. It may not have much versatility like Heatran, but it makes up for it in sheer power. To put it into perspective, tough claws Lucario with a life orb is actually stronger than its banned mega evolution. It outpowers it on stabs by roughly 6%, and on non-stabs such as extreme speed by 25%! Lucario has an extremely powerful close combat that nukes everything slower than it, and is powerful enough to 2HKO everything in the game that doesn't resist it. The bulkiest pokemon in ou that doesn't resist or is weak to fighting is Zygarde, which you can see takes 49.5% minimum:

252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 208-247 (49.5 - 58.8%) -- 72.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even pokemon that resist it such as Mew, Zapdos and Mega Venusaur take large amounts of damage, allowing you to sweep stall teams with just a little bit of prior damage on them:

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 331-390 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 286-338 (74.4 - 88%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Tough Claws Lucario Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 277-326 (77.1 - 90.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

However, it is not just Lucario's sheer power that makes it so good. As you all know, Lucario has access to the rare and very powerful Extremespeed. This gives it the ability to cleanly sweep offensive teams with just one turn of setup, which it can easily get against pokemon like Bisharp, and by forcing out special walls such as Chansey and Snorlax. After a swords dance, it can kill even the base 100 pixies!(without investment) Most of the time, it doesn't even need to setup, as it can kill many frail offensive pokemon without even any boosts, and if you bring it in safely against something slower on an offensive team, something will die to a cc. Lucario also carries bullet punch to deal with faster extremespeed resists such as Terrakion, Gengar, and Gardevoir. While Lucario may have trouble against Aegislash, it is only one pokemon, and it can be trapped by pursuit anyway. Lucario also cannot be revenge killed by common priority users such as gale wings pokemon thanks to Extremespeed's +2 priority, as well as resisting the Extremespeeds of Entei and opposing Lucarios.

I don't know what else to say so here are some replays showing off Lucario's power:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-170799963 <--- Lucario kills 5 pokemon without setting up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-170819981 <--- Lucario kills 3 and weakens a 4th
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171007913 <--- Lucario sets up on bisharp and 6-0's his team
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171056253 <--- Lucario kills 4 pokemon without setting up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171091304 <--- Lucario sets up on Bisharp and sweeps 5 pokemon

Marowak ---> B-

B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that are great in the AAA metagame. These Pokemon have more notable flaws than those above them that affect how they function in the tier. Their positive traits still outshine their negatives, but they require a bit more team support to bring out their full potential.

I find maro to be a great wallbreaker,as it can 2HKO most walls, and can take hits relatively well. With a bit of support to keep them alive, such as Wish, Marowak can do some work on stallier teams, and often get a kill against more offensive teams. It has some notable flaws, being slow and not too bulky, but the positives of 2hko-ing almost every wall will definately outshine these. They require team support of either webs (max speed jolly reaches effective 311 speed in webs) and/or wish support to stay healthy. Calcs:

Offensively:

220 Atk Thick Club Technician Marowak Smack Down vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 200-236 (52 - 61.4%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

68 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Marowak: 92-109 (28.3 - 33.6%) -- 0.2% chance to 3HKO

220 Atk Thick Club Technician Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Venusaur: 282-332 (77.4 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Mega takes ~10% less)

0 SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Marowak: 204-240 (62.9 - 74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

220 Atk Thick Club Technician Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 224-266 (55.4 - 65.8%) -- approx. 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Marowak: 168-198 (51.8 - 61.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Maro loses if burn)

220 Atk Thick Club Technician Marowak Bonemerang (2 hits) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Deoxys-D: 228-270 (75 - 88.8%) -- approx. 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Deoxys-D Night Shade vs. 252 HP Marowak: 100-100 (30.8 - 30.8%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
Defensively:

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Marowak: 231-274 (71.2 - 84.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Heatran Eruption (132 BP) vs. 252 HP / 36+ SpD Marowak: 249-294 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (After SR, also beating chlorotran is nice) forgot sun >.<

252 Atk Life Orb Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak: 234-277 (72.2 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (You lose if it has a moxie boost)

I think Marowak deserves this rank for its potential to obliterate every form of stall (besides intimidate venu), and still hold its own against offensive threats.

Last edited:
Arguments on Hydreigon
While Hydreigon could've perhaps gone A- before the Protean ban, I really don't think it has the potential to go that high anymore. The sniper set (and every other set if breaking stall is your intention) pretty much requires superpower to think of getting by Chansey, which makes it pretty predictable, and against more offensive teams anything other than the scarf set is usually going to be dead weight due to its sub 100 speed tier. It has the niche of being able to revenge Bisharp, but honestly not much else, and when factoring this alongside the giant fairy problem is has when not using Iron Tail I'd be more inclined to say B- is better suited to it.

Marowak ---> B-
In a similar vein to Hydreigon, the issue with Marowak is it'll have lots of trouble pulling its weight versus team other than stall, which is bad for it since stall isn't all that common in the current metagame. It also has a giant weakness to knock off, which can be really problematic. C+ sounds better to me. (Also in the Heatran calc you forgot the sun, while in the Terrakion calc you forgot adaptability.)

Suggested Changes:

Honchkrow from B- to A
Gengar from A- to A
Heatran from A to A+
Entei from A to A+
Lucario from A- to A+
Marowak from Unlisted to C+
Hydreigon from Unlisted to B-

EDIT: Changes now active

Last edited:

xJownage

252+ SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 328-387 (46.5 - 54.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Sure, it would like to run superpower, but chansey isint too hard to lure in this meta, and mixed sniper sets are really good as well. Running draco, superpower, and fire blast is very viable tbh (dark pulse doesnt add too much coverage on a mixed set). I dont fear for chansey, especially because against stall this will often set up for free.

Chansey rarely runs the 252/252+/4 spread anymore, as it is inferior to 4/252+/252.

252+ SpA Sniper Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey on a critical hit: 262-310 (40.8 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You're almost getting there, but without Superpower your 8 Draco Meteors will be promptly stalled out. Not to mention every time it's sent in it needs to set up a focus energy, which means stall teams will be able to go into Chansey for free first turn and stall out the Dracos. And while 40-48% sounds intimidating, it's really simple to deal with if you're assured that it's impossible for it to get that 6.25% chance of bonus damage. In a nutshell, Superpower is mandatory.

And even so, there are more scary wallbreakers out there that don't even require a turn of set-up to destroy stall teams. Tough Claws Heracross for example can boast most of the same stuff when it comes to beating down stall and rarely even needs swords dance. It would be pretty unfair to place Hydreigon only 1 rank below something that does its job much better.

And finally, the Sniper set more so than the others, which is the set you seem to think is the best one at the moment, will do hardly anything against offense, which is both far more common and far more viable in the current metagame. It's weak to a ton of common typings, has terribad speed seeing as you need to run Modest, and the fact that you'll never get a focus energy up means you've effectively used up an item slot as well. There are just better options for Pokemon that break stall that you can also use versus more offensive teams, which is why I think B- is very acceptable for it.

Last edited:

xJownage

Whoa whoa whoa, i never said anything about sniper being the best set. Its one of many good sets atm.
Is sniper superpower all that bad? It can ignore the stat drops too.

Tbh...the adapt and tinted lens sets are really good, but the u-turning sets take the cake. You really dont bring this in and not force a switch. Specs adaptability/tinted lens sets with u-turn work well, as well as ebelts with superpower and u-turn. The main selling point is a different set easily destroys common switch-ins. Sniper sees a lot of chansey and ive been running superpower (thanks for letting out my secret asshole :3) for a while. Ebelt sees a wide variety of easy-to-scout switch ins, and ebelt u-turn bluffs choice which nets all kinds of suprise kills. Hydreigons gigantic movepool is what makes it one of the best lures ive ever used in ANY metagame.

Not sure if anyone else said anything about this yet but Desolate Land Heatran is pretty decent. Currently looking for something to break with Primordial Sea as well.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cobalion for B+

I have been trying out SubSD Cobalion with Adaptability as an offensive Bisharp counter that does work against stall too, and it works better than I expected. It has a great typing, good speed, decent attack, and great defense. I think that it definitely deserves to be placed together with mons like Doublade (Is this even still B+ worthy?), Vaporeon, and Celebi.

Some (admittedly not very high level replays) to further prove my point:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-182096068
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-182134023

I also support Gengar to A, since it is a pretty good stallbreaker with Taunt + 3 attacks together with Sheer Force. Only issue I have is that it's pretty frail, so even uninvested stall mons can do a lot of damage to it. Even if stall is not very common it's far from useless against offensive teams too.

gtg soon so im gonna be brief here. theres lots of pokemon that I believe should move:

skarmory A+ -> A
skarm is not that great. the defensive set definitely does not deserve a+ as it is far too passive and easily taken advantage of by like half the meta, or even trapped by magnet pull users such as mega manectric. It does have a quite cool sd gale wings set, which is pretty good, but not as good as staraptor and braviary.

mew A -> A+
mew may run the exact same set it runs in ou, but the difference is aaa it can run whatever defensive ability it wants. prankster is the most annoying thing ever, poison heal gives you status immunity and non-knock offable passive healing, regenerator is good, flash fire/water absorb or those new weather abilities to fuck over weather teams and all the fire spam in this meta, volt absorb to stop volt switch spam, hell, you can even run mold breaker for things like magic bounce chansey. mew is sooooo fucking good, I have no idea why its not a+

lucario A- -> A+/S
ive talked about lucario before. its tough claws set is godlike, especially with pursuit support. tough claws espeed is sooo good for just wrecking offense, and +2 cc will kill anything that isnt a bulky resist (such as mew!) here are some replays I saved from last time i brought this up:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171091304
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-170799963
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-170819981
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171007913
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-171056253

snorlax, goodra, and regirock B+ and A- -> A
ive put them together because they're basically the same thing; 3 amazing walls that rely on poison heal/regenerator. these are imo some of the best walls in the game, they just wall so much. regirock stops victini, birdspam, and so many other physical things. goodra and snorlax wall almost everything on the special side, while having very good offensive presence, not being passive like chansey. they also have the very important niche of countering sheer force gengar. speaking of gengar...

gengar A- -> A+
ive talked about this before too, and I believe gengar deserves A+ because of the sheer power of its sheer force set. it has 2 very important qualities that give it a strong niche: the first is that it literally has no counters other than snorlax and goodra, and snoralx is shaky thanks to focus blast. this makes it an extremely powerful wallbreaker, and will completely demolish both stall and balance, especially if given hazard support to overwelm goodra/snorlax. the second is that it is a ghost type, making it an excellent extremespeed check in this meta where most people are running tough claws on their extreme speed users and not refridgerate. (although it cant live +2 lucario bullet punch, lucario2strong.) so yeah, gengar for a+ plz.

aegislash A- -> A+
come on its aegislash, wtf is it doing in A-

latios A- -> A+
similar thing to aegislash, it is still a really good poke, and it gains adapatabiltiy allowing it to de fucking stroy everything. heatran, aegislash and other steel types, aka the only switchins to this get worn down quickly due to so many of them lacking recovery

mega manectric unranked -> B+
a really good pokemon that works as an offensive birdspam check, can also run magnet pull to trap skarmory before mega evolving (thanks word), really good at cleaning teams and volt switching to provide momentum against stall.

also tornadus-t (drizzle/that new weather ability/no guard), ferrothorn(flash fire/prankster/drizzle for rain teams), dragonite(banded tough claws), honchkrow(only slightly worse than the other 2 gale wings users), and fucking shaymin-s(hello!??!) all need to be way higher.

thanks for reading my ramble, not really that brief is it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)