SM OU Algorithmic Team Generation [Peaked 1457]

Hello.

I have thought about this question for a while: Is it possible to use algorithms to yield good teams? Since I had some time over this weekend, I decided to procrastinate test this idea out.

https://github.com/AntonXue/teamgen/

Algorithm TL;DR:
  • Rank how well Pokemon A does against Pokemon B in a matchup and encode this into a massive matrix: https://github.com/AntonXue/teamgen/blob/master/matchup.txt.
  • Scan through the matrix and try to make a team of 6 Pokemon that minimizes "bad" matchups.
  • Return top k (k = 5 at the moment) results.
Obvious Problems:
  • The notion of a "good" or "bad" matchup is not well-defined, and does not consider specific sets a Pokemon may run, only in general situations.
  • The matrix is generated based only on my limited knowledge of the current OU Metagame, and some results don't intuitively make sense.
  • Likelihood of me making a typo when making the matrix is very, very high.
  • Matrix (68 x 68) is hard-coded to only account for all the Pokemon currently on Smogon's OU and BL list, and thus yields limited selection.
  • Algorithm does not consider type synergy, playstyle, etc. Yet.
  • Team generation is most likely a "computationally hard" problem.

There are 68 Pokemon in OU / BL that are considered as possible candidates on a team that is generated. These Pokemon are listed pseudo-alphabetically (OU ends at index 51, BL begins at index 52) in a giant table: https://github.com/AntonXue/teamgen/blob/master/index.txt

A pairwise matchup matrix was then created with lots of tedious effort. The goal is to approximately capture how well Pokemon A performs against B in a matchup situation in general. The performance is ranked as follows:
  • [-2] Strongly struggles against (e.g. Ferrothorn strongly struggles against Volcarona).
  • [-1] Moderately struggles against (e.g. Marowak-A moderately struggles against Tapu Fini).
  • [0] Neutral (e.g. Excadrill neutral against Venusaur-M).
  • [1] Moderately favorable against (e.g. Greninja moderately favorable against Tyranitar).
  • [2] Strongly favorable against (e.g. Magnezone strongly favorable against Skarmory).
The vast majority of Pokemon should fall within the +1/-1/0 range, and -2/+2 only occurs with absolute counters. Furthermore, matchup performance is closer to a spectrum than discrete values, which means that directly adding them (which I do) is intrinsically not a well-defined, although convenient, operation. Perhaps the whole notion of strongly struggles against / strongly favorable against with discrete integer values should be abandoned as a whole. I play with some more ideas later on :)

Because the matchup matrix is a semi-sparse matrix, this means that in order to not drive myself crazy trying to enter every value of the matrix, I only enter some values, and values that are not entered are assumed to be 0. Here is the index: https://github.com/AntonXue/teamgen/blob/master/index.txt, here is the matrix: https://github.com/AntonXue/teamgen/blob/master/matchup.txt and here is how you read it so you can check to see if your favorite Pokemon is entered incorrectly :)
  • Every Pokemon in the index can be represented as a 3-tuple of (index value, name, usage)
  • Every entry in the matrix begins with the index value, separated by a comma, then a long list of values separated by colons. The value before the first comma denotes the index of a Pokemon, every value after is a pair of opponent Pokemon index and matchup performance.
  • For instance, the 3rd line of the file can be read as follows: Buzzwole (index 2) has a -1 matchup against Mega Alakazam, a 1 matchup against Beedrill, a -1 matchup against Celesteela, etc.
Team generation in this format can thus be considered choosing the top k teams among n choose 6 combinations, where k can be whatever cut-off filter amount you want, and n = 68. The difference between 68 permute 6 (68 * 67 * ... * 63) and 68 choose 6 is close to 3 magnitudes, and my computer can't really handle 71 billion comparisons analyses with lots of redundancies, so I needed an algorithm to generate combinations of a list rather than permutations. Thankfully Python 2 has a iterator library that supports combination generation. However, I am not sure how fast the native implementation is or what the overheads are, so it may be faster to write a custom one, but I'll trust the Python devs.

With a team of 6 members, an analysis pass done against the matchup matrix can be seen as going through each of the team members' entry in the matrix, then superimposing a sum of performance against all Pokemon. So if your team is P1 ... P6, and you're facing opponent Q, the value for how well your team handles Q can be seen as: rank(P1, Q) + rank(P2, Q) + ... + rank(P6, Q). Note that these threat values can be weighted by each Pokemon's usage statistic.

As I said, because there are a massive number of teams to consider (68 choose 6 = 109,453,344), and because I don't feel like waiting several minutes for the program to finish generating, the algorithm attempts to prune the search space faster using several heuristics:
  • First generate only teams with 3 member combinations during round 1. At the moment we only keep track of 10 teams, but since this is the first round, the number could be higher, in retrospect.
  • In round 2, take these 10 teams from round 1, and generate a combination of the three remaining members for each, keeping track of the top 10 results.
  • Index Pokemon by 0 so we can literally use them as matrix lookups, which should be pretty fast.
Using this scheme, the algorithm can consider several different notions of optimization:
  • Negative sums: Perhaps the most simple (and the one implemented right now) notion for scoring a team is checking how "negative" a team's overall matchup score against the matrix is. The reason why only negative values are considered is because it shows weaknesses in coverage and ignores overly redundant coverage -- for instance having 4 checks against Ferrothorn probably means your team is not weak to Ferrothorn.
  • Negative spikes: Maybe some generated team has a net -1 weakness to Gyarados. This could simply mean that 3 of your members are weak to it, 2 is strong against it, and the remaining 1 is neutral. In this case, is Gyarados really still a threat to your team? Perhaps these values can be discarded, and we need to only consider more extreme cases, such as teams that are -2, or perhaps -3 weak to certain Pokemon, and attempt to get results that minimize these "spikes".
  • Weighted values: The same as the above two, except scaled by usage statistics.

The analysis process went through a few refinements, but in the latest run these, were the top 5 results: https://github.com/AntonXue/teamgen/blob/master/res1.txt. Translated into text, these are as follows:

The Toxapex Problem
  • Because the algorithm only cares about matchup performance, wall breakers and stall based Pokemon tend to rank higher since their unfavorable matchups tend to be concentrated around the few other wall breakers / nimble fast sweepers.
  • Some lesser used Pokemon (Zapdos and Dragonite) occasionally bubble towards on to top teams in the rankings since they just happen to have good matchups against a few "holes" in otherwise very common combinations (Metagross, Greninja, etc)
  • Mega Metagross and Mega Charizard X appear many times by virtue of having lots of good matchups. Probably :)

With what lack of experience I had doing competitive Pokemon, I picked one of the teams that was generated and proceeded to ladder with it:

It doesn't actually seem too bad until you start playing with it. Maybe my sets are just bad :)

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Mega Metagross is the king of the ranking algorithm. By sheer virtue of its typing, attack, speed, and versatility, it nets favorable matchups against a great deal of OU and BL. Meteor Mash and Zen Headbutt are staples on Mega Metagross. Because the rest of the team already has two Electric-type users, Ice Punch was chosen to increase overall coverage against Pokemon such as Landorus-T, so that Salamence could have an easier time sweeping provided that it got the opportunity to. The last move slot was a toss-up between Bullet Punch, Hammer Arm, and Earthquake, and frankly I feel that Bullet Punch sometimes helps pick off Pokemon such as Pheromosa and Mimikyu better, but Hammer Arm makes you less dead-weight against Heatran. Interestingly enough, a lot of Heatrans seem to assume that you pack Hammer Arm / Earthquake, so it is possible to, at least at first, to perform well against Heatran teams with Bullet Punch over Hammer Arm.

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Salamence's primary negative matchups are bulky steels and waters, in general netting at least neutral on most things and +1 on things that it can set up on and proceed to kill for a +2 Atk / +1 Spe. The moveset is extremely standard and predictable, although I toyed with the idea of running Choice Scarf at one point. However, this is not B/W. Interestingly enough, Mega Metagross / Salamence / Xirkutree forms a fairly formidable offensive core simply due to their excellent offensive stats and attack typing diversity. Metagross checks Ice, Rock, and Grass for Salamence and Xurkitree; Salamence can set up on Grass and some Fire-types, while Xirkutree can blow past Water with ease. Obviously Ferrothorn is a problem, but a combination of +1 SSSS and Hammer Arm can usually dent it enough to allow Xirkutree to accumulate a +1 Beast Boost later in the match.

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scarf Xurkitree has a nice surprise factor and solid sweeping potential, bar against things like Pheromosa. Having Tapu Koko in this slot is probably nicer due to its access to U-Turn, but I was curious to see how well I could do with Xurkitree here. Xurkitree nets clean kills on a lot of Water-types, and being a less common threat, it is somehow able to net more kills than it should with Energy Ball on Ground-type switch-ins. Xurkitree, Salamence, and Greninja-A tend to be my win conditions during matches, as I tend to play Mega Metagross fairly aggressively to wall break for the remainder of the team. As pointed out earlier, Xurkitree covers a much-needed Electric-type offense against bulky waters and Flying-types in general. After the opposing team is sufficiently weakened (i.e. no longer has Chansey or an Electric resist / immunity), Xurkitree can quickly nab +1's for a sweep. Sometimes.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Greninja-A has lots of favorable matchups since it is able to outspeed and nuke a lot of things. I suspect that the reason it was generated was to act as a Fire and Pheromosa check, and indeed that is what it tends to do. OHKOing the likes of Pheromosa and other frail, boosted Pokemon with Water Shuriken is greatly appreciated. Clicking Dark Pulse and Hydro Pump in general breaks a lot of switch-ins for the rest of the team. Lastly, U-Turn along with Xurkitree and Rotom-W's Volt Switch forms a decent Volt-Turn core, and with the rest of the team largely consisting of heavy wall breakers, getting into Ash form is generally easy with lots of weakened Pokemon on the opponent's team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power

I don't know why this thing was generated, but I guess the reason was because I rated it at a +2 against Ferrothorn, and a lot of other Pokemon on the team are -1 against it, so perhaps this was done as a Ferrothorn counter. Having Stealth Rocks, which a number of the other teams did not, is also useful, as well as having offensive Fire-type coverage. Because Chansey is a big problem for a large fraction of the team, we need to try to kill it, and kill it fast, and this set reflects exactly that. Spamming Magma Storm in general is also nice since it hits lots of things hard. Lastly, Earth Power lets me OHKO other fast Heatrans that I speed tie against, and nabs solid damage against most opposing Fire-types.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I am honestly surprised that this thing came up, but it has proven to be extremely helpful in a lot of matches where I need a more passive approach to victory. Rotom-W is a solid defensive pivot and can come in on things such as Celesteela, Landorus-T, and others, without me having to sack a Pokemon or aggressively predict around things. Furthermore, the fact that Rotom-W beats Marowak-A is greatly appreciated, which means that Rotom-W can almost always get off a Volt Switch, since Marowaks tend to not like switching in. In addition, Rotom-W is the first line of defense against Rain, after which I'm generally kind of fucked because Kingdra outspeeds Xurkitree in rain.

Because of the way the algorithm runs analyses, it is able to report a "threat list", which is highly useless most of the time. Here is what it claims to be a threat to this team:
  • Mega Charizard X
  • Greninja
  • Greninja-A
  • Gyarados-M
  • Rotom-W
  • Volcarona
  • Zapdos
  • Mega Slowbro
There is some truth to this, however. In general once Rotom-W falls, the team lacks good resists to Water. Furthermore, Electric-types in general have a fun time spamming their Volt Switches against this team. In part this is why the team is so weak to Rain. Mega Slowbro as a threat is interesting, and I can't really think of a reason why it should be on there. This is probably because of typos that gave some members on the team overly unfavorable matchups against it.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Salamence @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake

Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This iteration of team generation is very primitive and is full of obvious problems. There are some other approaches (among many others) that I've toyed around with:

Larger Matrix
This is probably the simplest solution to refining this method. By introducing more elements in the matrix to account for different move types (e.g. Offensive Heatran and Defensive Heatran get separate entries), this will likely yield better solutions, since it allows greater customization over sets and accurate reporting as such.

Densest k=6 Subset of Complete Synergy Graph
The idea here is even more computationally time-consuming than the larger matrix one. Similar to the idea where we consider more sets for each Pokemon, the goal here is that we consider an inter-team synergy. Say we take a complete graph where each node is a Pokemon + moveset, and every line between nodes has a value that denotes how well two Pokemon synergize with each other (e.g. Ferrothorn + Toxapex have good synergy, Toxapex + every other offensive wall breakers don't have fantastic synergy). To prevent illegal combinations such as multiple Megas or less-preferred situations such as multiple Z-move users, it's a simple matter of assigning a large negative sentinel value for each line between two such conflicting Pokemon nodes. Anyways, the goal here would be to find a set of 6 nodes whose lines between each other sum up to the highest value.

However the data set here is massive, and only increases for each additional unique moveset you consider. A further downside of this algorithm is that it does not account for type synergy, and will as with before, likely favor clusters of pure stall and wall breaker combinations, which tend to have excellent offensive synergy and defensive synergy (typing here is not guaranteed), amongst themselves.

Offensive + Defensive Analysis
It's probably salient to also have heuristics, or perhaps separate generators that try to account for type coverage both offensively and defensively. This can go hand-in-hand with the large matrix and dense subset method, allowing us to filter out bad combinations after those results give us some results (say, top 100?).

Throw Every Analysis Pass We Got At It!
Team building is most likely a computationally hard problem, because there are far too many factors at play: The simpler the model the faster results can be obtained, but at the trade off of accuracy and actual effectiveness. The more complex the model, the better the results, but it would take a long ass time. The most reasonable model is probably to have, as hinted at above, to have multiple passes that apply one heuristic on top of another (role synergy, type synergy, etc). This is future work to be done.

Computationally Hard?
If you have a formal proof for this I'd love to hear it.

Future Stuff
If anyone is interested in theorymoning with me or possibly helping around with whatever data entry we might need in the future, please leave me a PM :)

Maybe we can continue this more in-depth in the future.

Cool team Machina, an enjoyable read and I appreciate the novel nature of the building process. I'll help patch up the most relevant of issues you have in your threatlist, the worst of which is definitely against offensive Water-types and the rain archetype in general, and a couple of others such as opposing Salamence and Tapu Koko.

->
To be honest, Choice Scarf Xurkitree is an incredibly sub-par set, as is Xurkitree in general outside of Sticky Web and Baton Pass teams. Replacing Xurkitree with Scarf Keldeo gives you a means with which to revenge kill Greninja, Greninja-Ash, MGyara, Volcarona, Mence and ZardX, also offering you a soft check to both Greninja forms, which is invaluable for offensive teams. A set of Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Stone Edge / Hidden Power [Ice] with a Hasty nature (nabs the OHKO on Volcarona and gives you a chance to OHKO ZardY) should suffice. Furthermore, it forms a potent offensive core with Battle Bond Greninja, as they both share common checks. It can also be nightmarish for rain teams to face.

->
The next alteration I'd recommend is to axe Salamence from this team and replace it with Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn brings a much-needed means with which to handle rain adequately and an answer/means with which to punish to Tapu Koko. A set of Power Whip / Knock Off / Spikes / Leech Seed is what I'd recommend. Ferrothorn with Spikes and Knock Off makes an incredible partner with Battle Bond Greninja, removing crucial items from the likes of AV Tangrowth, Toxapex, opposing Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss; whilst also abusing the presence of Tangrowth, Toxapex and other Ferrothorn by grabbing layers of Spikes against them, which Greninja greatly appreciates.

The removal of Salamence means that we have a Z-Crystal slot going free, as such I'd recommend placing that on Heatran and using a set Magma Storm / Taunt / Solar Beam / Stealth Rock with Grassium Z. This is a set that has seen a decline in popularity and viability as of late with players becoming more reluctant to switch their bulky Water-types (especially Tapu Fini) into Heatran, but considering the team has both Keldeo and Battle Bond Greninja it fits nicely.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Solar Beam

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
=============
notes & other options
=============
Changed up the Metagross set a little to ease the matchup against Quiver Dance Pheromosa and Celesteela, both of which can be issues for the team if given free turns to set up or throw out Leech Seeds. Should you find Zygarde too problematic, some options could be 4 attacks Greninja with Ice Beam over U-turn, swapping out Thunder Punch for Ice Punch again on Metagross, or using Hidden Power Ice over Taunt on Heatran. I'd recommend against them all generally, though, seeing as they all come with massive negative connotations and Zygarde isn't an unwinnable matchup. Here's a replay showcasing the efficacy of the team and the sets working out perfectly.

Best of luck and thanks for reading.

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
hi cool team. while i agree with most of tigers jaw's changes I do feel like it brought two huge threats to this team, being volcarona and zard-y could be an issue as well. with the removal of salamence and replacing it with ferrothorn that gives volcarona and zardy another chance to either setup or nuke something with its fire stab and coverage.

because of this i suggest changing scarf xurkitree to scarf garchomp. tigers jaw said it well, xurkitree isn't a very good scarfer but removing it makes this team a lot weaker to zard-y, so i think that replacing it with a scarfer that can take on these fire types is better. scarf garchomp can outspeed +1 volcarona and switch into zardys fire blast solar beam and focus blast pretty well and scare it out with stone edge. scarf chomp can kill literally everything tigers jaw mentioned that keldeo does, but only fears water shuriken from ash greninja which does about half if they get 3 hits. also i suggest dual chop as the final move. dual chop can prevent pheromosa from setting up which could be huge as you can break the sash with one hit and ko with the next. however, this does have a miss chance and the potential to get 2 low damage roles so if you want dragon claw is an option but i highly suggest dual chop.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Outrage
- Stone Edge

Last edited:
Cool team Machina, an enjoyable read and I appreciate the novel nature of the building process. I'll help patch up the most relevant of issues you have in your threatlist, the worst of which is definitely against offensive Water-types and the rain archetype in general, and a couple of others such as opposing Salamence and Tapu Koko.

->
To be honest, Choice Scarf Xurkitree is an incredibly sub-par set, as is Xurkitree in general outside of Sticky Web and Baton Pass teams. Replacing Xurkitree with Scarf Keldeo gives you a means with which to revenge kill Greninja, Greninja-Ash, MGyara, Volcarona, Mence and ZardX, also offering you a soft check to both Greninja forms, which is invaluable for offensive teams. A set of Hydro Pump / Secret Sword / Stone Edge / Hidden Power [Ice] with a Hasty nature (nabs the OHKO on Volcarona and gives you a chance to OHKO ZardY) should suffice. Furthermore, it forms a potent offensive core with Battle Bond Greninja, as they both share common checks. It can also be nightmarish for rain teams to face.

->
The next alteration I'd recommend is to axe Salamence from this team and replace it with Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn brings a much-needed means with which to handle rain adequately and an answer/means with which to punish to Tapu Koko. A set of Power Whip / Knock Off / Spikes / Leech Seed is what I'd recommend. Ferrothorn with Spikes and Knock Off makes an incredible partner with Battle Bond Greninja, removing crucial items from the likes of AV Tangrowth, Toxapex, opposing Ferrothorn, and Amoonguss; whilst also abusing the presence of Tangrowth, Toxapex and other Ferrothorn by grabbing layers of Spikes against them, which Greninja greatly appreciates.

The removal of Salamence means that we have a Z-Crystal slot going free, as such I'd recommend placing that on Heatran and using a set Magma Storm / Taunt / Solar Beam / Stealth Rock with Grassium Z. This is a set that has seen a decline in popularity and viability as of late with players becoming more reluctant to switch their bulky Water-types (especially Tapu Fini) into Heatran, but considering the team has both Keldeo and Battle Bond Greninja it fits nicely.

Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Hammer Arm

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Leech Seed

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Solar Beam

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
=============
notes & other options
=============
Changed up the Metagross set a little to ease the matchup against Quiver Dance Pheromosa and Celesteela, both of which can be issues for the team if given free turns to set up or throw out Leech Seeds. Should you find Zygarde too problematic, some options could be 4 attacks Greninja with Ice Beam over U-turn, swapping out Thunder Punch for Ice Punch again on Metagross, or using Hidden Power Ice over Taunt on Heatran. I'd recommend against them all generally, though, seeing as they all come with massive negative connotations and Zygarde isn't an unwinnable matchup. Here's a replay showcasing the efficacy of the team and the sets working out perfectly.

Best of luck and thanks for reading.
Thank you for the suggestions and taking the time to playtest!

I played around with this earlier and it is indeed a lot more fluid than the original team.

Any particular reason for 8 Spe on Ferrothorn though?

hi cool team. while i agree with most of tigers jaw's changes I do feel like it brought two huge threats to this team, being volcarona and zard-y could be an issue as well. with the removal of salamence and replacing it with ferrothorn that gives volcarona and zardy another chance to either setup or nuke something with its fire stab and coverage.

because of this i suggest changing scarf xurkitree to scarf garchomp. tigers jaw said it well, xurkitree isn't a very good scarfer but removing it makes this team a lot weaker to zard-y, so i think that replacing it with a scarfer that can take on these fire types is better. scarf garchomp can outspeed +1 volcarona and switch into zardys fire blast solar beam and focus blast pretty well and scare it out with stone edge. scarf chomp can kill literally everything tigers jaw mentioned that keldeo does, but only fears water shuriken from ash greninja which does about half if they get 3 hits. also i suggest dual chop as the final move. dual chop can prevent pheromosa from setting up which could be huge as you can break the sash with one hit and ko with the next. however, this does have a miss chance and the potential to get 2 low damage roles so if you want dragon claw is an option but i highly suggest dual chop.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dual Chop
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll test this out when I get the chance to!

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Hi, while this isn't directly related to your team I figured I'd still share this with you as it should help your overall building skills and your teambuilding algorithm: http://pastebin.com/spEtvevT. This is a pastebin made by Disjunction (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagame-discussion-thread-v2.3592140/page-24#post-7267503 he posted it here btw) with all of the viable sets for all viable mons in OU, this should help you avoid end up with stuff like Scarf Xurk that honestly isn't a good set and eventually get a better feel for the meta. Good luck! :D

Hi, while this isn't directly related to your team I figured I'd still share this with you as it should help your overall building skills and your teambuilding algorithm: http://pastebin.com/spEtvevT. This is a pastebin made by Disjunction (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagame-discussion-thread-v2.3592140/page-24#post-7267503 he posted it here btw) with all of the viable sets for all viable mons in OU, this should help you avoid end up with stuff like Scarf Xurk that honestly isn't a good set and eventually get a better feel for the meta. Good luck! :D
Thanks, the data is invaluable for mining!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)