Album-Listening Club (Listening to Little Earthquakes; Now nominating)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Gonna do something a little bit different here. I'll be writing this post as I listen to each song, so it would be the most accurate "first impression" I can make. For a little bit of background, though, the only other album that I've listened to that falls under the same genre as Daft Punk's Discovery is Justice's Cross, which I absolutely adore. So, I'm setting myself up for high expectations for the more popular French DJ duo (I'm already surprised enough that there's more than one duo, in all honesty). Discovery does seem a bit long as a house album, though, so I'm curious as to how Daft Punk fills up that one hour.

I don't know if it's just the nostalgia rushing in, but One More Time is such a jammer. If I had to choose a song to define this genre of music, it would probably be this one.

Aerodynamic was also a very enjoyable song, though I wish the funky beats that were prominent in the beginning stayed for a little bit longer. The ending felt just a tiny bit too empty, in my opinion, but not enough for me to push the entire song away.

The simplicity of Digital Love goes well with the fact that it had actual lyrics (as any more beeps and boops might've made the track too cluttered), and the guitar riffs were a pleasant surprise considering the sound of the track before it.

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger hit me with the second wave of nostalgia, and I must say that this song deserves being the big hit it was. Aged like fine wine.

Listening to Crescendolls made me surprised because I feel like a track like this would easily be eaten up by many music listeners alike, yet I've never seen anyone talk about it. It might be because of the repetitiveness of the track (you can obviously say that for the other tracks, but it's a bit more prominent here in my opinion), but a groovy beat like this must easily get a lot of people moving quickly.

Nightvision feels like some sort of interlude, especially considering the length of the track. I really like the ambience to it, but I wish it was longer.

Superheroes is the track where I start to recognize Daft Punk's mastery at, like GatoDelFuego mentioned, vocal sampling. I don't why I love how vocal sampling sounds in songs in general, but the way it's integrated in this track, as well as the other tracks with it, makes it quite the earworm.

Funnily enough, after I finished typing the blurb above, hearing the immediate vocal sampling in High Life couldn't have been better timing. This track in particular reminds me of that one trend a few years ago where people would make funky remixes of Japanese songs from the 80s and 90s (I don't know the specific name for the genre), and I used to really love them, so this track clicked with me pretty easily.

Something About Us is a pretty chill track that I enjoyed a lot as well. The bass and drums in particular alongside the vocals is probably my favorite part of the song, but the stronger use of more traditional instruments compared to other tracks alongside sounds that almost seem to emulate such instruments really make this track shine.

It honestly felt like that I already listened to Voyager earlier in the album, which is probably due to how many of the sounds and beats used in this song are similar to those from other songs. This isn't really a complaint, since it's still a pretty groovy song, but I wish it had something to distinguish itself more from the others. The bass is really hitting in this one, though.

Veridis Quo feels a bit too long considering the feeling and sound of the track, but perhaps that's what Daft Punk was going for here. I like the flute-like melody on top of the electronic beats (at least, I think that's the sound from a flute), but this was probably the first song where I got a bit bored as it played.

Short Circuit is definitely has the most unique sound out of the tracks so far, and while I can see some people seeing the beats and effects as a bit obnoxious, I personally like it. The glitchy sounds towards the end, though, do sound a bit weird and off-putting.

The vocal sampling in Face to Face really shines on the track and is definitely one of the best uses of it on the album. The singing on the track is also pretty unique compared to the other songs with lyrics, and while I guess I can see how it can detract from the sound of the album, it definitely makes it one of my favorite tracks.

My criticism of Too Long is, well, in the name; it's an enjoyable track, but not enjoyable enough for me to stick around for the ten minutes. Much of beginning in particular is too long of a build up, and having to wait around five minutes for the song to hit its high point doesn't feel that worth it for another listen. For a track as long as this one, it definitely would need more variety in its song too keep me interested.

It's hard for me to rate an album like this because calling it things like "repetitive" would be unfair for the purpose of the album. It definitely would help if I listened to it at a party or something rather than sitting at my desk doing schoolwork, but I can still see why this album is considered one of the definitive dance/house albums. Definitely an enjoyable first listen, and I will definitely return to some of these songs for another listen.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
To Bring You My Love by PJ Harvey has won. We'll nominate until Friday this time, as it seems like people don't need all that long to vote.

-----------------------------------------

I nominate The Raven by Lou Reed (2003)
I've dumped on Lou Reed before for how his lyrical abilities far exceed anything else he can do. But one of his hidden gem songs is Who Am I, and it's from a big Edgar Allen Poe concept album. I'm intrigued. I'm a bit doubtful I'd ever get around to checking this album out on my own, so it goes here.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
To Bring You My Love
I voted for my first PJ Harvey album as I had heard of her being this sleeper alt-rocker. I'm still getting used to alt-rock, but the genre helped me expand my interests outside of the 70s-80s. Unfortunately, while alt-rock is hard to define, it's not a word I would use to describe this album. To Bring You My Love (the song) is better as an album opener than a song in and of itself, but it pretty thoroughly establishes the sound of the album as being grungy with a bit of a blues undertone. Then if we judge the first "real song" of the album, we're looking at Meet Ze Monsta, a weird punk/grunge hybrid song. It's oddly competent at the novelty it's going for, but I've never been very fond of either genre.

Working for the Man melds us back into the other major genre of the album, the blues. I like this kind of scheming finger-snapping blues, though the song is a bit mellow. C'Mon Billy is the most alt song on the album and it's one of PJ's jauntiest singing performances and the subtle orchestration uplifts the song, but I dunno, there's just something a bit missing here. Teclo is just too slow and mellow, especially when we already did that with the more interesting Working for the Man. This song is definitely all about the build-up, but it dips out right when you think it might be going somewhere.

Long Snake Moan is the grunge peak of the album and probably a highlight of the album if you like that stuff. What I can say about it is I like the lyrical connectivity that exists between some of these songs. Long Snake Moan and Down by the Water seems to collectively tell the story of this woman drowning her child by the river, which makes the follow up I Think I'm a Mother more poignant (which is about all I can give to that song).

Send His Love to Me feels like a big departure from the rest of the album, which makes sense given that it's a total inversion conceptually to the title track. If you read into this album too much, you might say that woman's aggressive and awkward attempts at expressing her love are represented by the early grunge of the album, which gradually fades into the blues of her lonely wanting to have that love reciprocated. This capstones the album with maybe its best song, The Dancer, a blues ballad about an artist finding a hollywood film romance.

To Bring You My Love is actually a collage of a lot of different rock genres that blend together very seamlessly and tell a coherent story, which I think is great. But I can't say I enjoyed a lot of the music.

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Whoo I can talk about this album now, I've listened to this since I was a child so I can't really give initial reactions for obvious reasons so I'll just give my opinions on each track
some history for To Bring You My Love; it is PJ Harvey's 3rd studio album, her first solo album(the previous 2 were in a trio). It is also what I consider the start of her true style as an artist to essentially depart from any genre she has previously done(with some variations like Uh Huh Her returning to her rock roots albeit in a lo-fi very recorded-in-a-bedroom style that gives it its own very unique stylistically amateur sound from her first 2 albums) with this album of course being very blues inspired. This need to depart from her previous sounds in each album is why we'll probably never get another pop(pop according to her anyways lol) rock album like Stories from the City or even a heavily blues album like this one hell she learned how to play the piano just to record White Chalk for that very reason.

As for TBYML, I think maybe except White Chalk, it is her most cohesive album and it's one of the very few albums I can honestly say I love every single track for(which is the only way I give any album a 10/10, spoilers) It just captures this feeling of desperation and dread that she purposefully doesn't really explore much after, and because of that it gives it a real unique feel to it without ever being too complicated. If I could define any one thing this album does spectacularly is controlling dynamics, I think of the transition from the somber Teclo to one of Polly's heaviest songs in general Long Snake Moan.

I tried to make this not super ranty but no promises on how successful I was :^)
To Bring You My Love- Easily the most minimalist song on the album and probably her best opener to an album, her vocal performance completely makes this song what it is, the pain of giving everything up and doing unheard of things for a love that might not come into fruition. It's a love song :D just in Polly's own way, certainly doesn't have a happy ending though she didn't cut off the lover's legs this time(maybe). I really consider this song to be the focal point of the album and in many ways perfectly describes what the album will be(which a good opener should imo).

Meet Ze Monsta- This really does its own grunge rock thing and it's just unapologetically there and I love it. I believe this is the first song of hers that makes use of synth which will be on a few other songs in this album but gets fully utilized in her next project Is This Desire. I particularly like the build up to the ending about the last minute or so of the song with the wailing synth fighting with the percussion, makes the song feel huge.

Working For The Man- oh here's the blues :) This is an interesting song, very different sonically from the rest of the album but it doesn't feel out of place. It is very mellow which makes this almost feel like a transition piece between the last track and the following one.

C'mon Billy- This is the song of the album. Ok I should probably add more to this, this is actually my 2nd favorite song on the album lol, the character in this song is so absurdly insane I have to wonder if Billy is someone she even met or actually had a child with, damn thing went crazy though.

Teclo- Teclo feels very similar to the title track in many ways, but the Captain Beefheart influence is screaming in this song(the coda "Let me ride on your grace for a while" at the end is a mirror of the chorus of Beefheart's Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles). It's one of my personal favorites, especially PJ's vocals in the coda.

Long Snake Moan- This is probably to date her heaviest song from any of her solo albums, it is very intense and it doesn't stop. Her glastonbury performance of this song is one of my favorite live performances (Glastonbury Long Snake Moan) and her stage presence just makes the song that much more energetic. I guess she was tired of traveling over dry earth and floods so she turned to voodoo. It's definitely an album highlight though it can be unexpectedly intense for how somber Teclo was.

Down By the Water- The radio hit neat, this song got a lot of play from MTV with its great music video and is possibly a large reason why the album was as successful as it was. This is one of my favorite songs of hers. the synths and strings(bowed and plucked) combo give it a unique standing among the tracks which is particularly important for a latter half track. I personally interpret this song as a metaphoric "drowning" of a woman's innocence rather than a mother drowning her child, the loss of innocence fits the themes of the album to me more. Though connecting this song with Long Snake Moan is actually really interesting to me, def a possibility

I Think I'm a Mother- This is a very percussive song, it reminds me more of Working for the Man with how rhythmic it is though it is more on the grunge side of blues than WftM is. I'll be honest and say I have no real interpretation of this song, it is very odd and doesn't seem to be particularly about birth or being a mother. imo it's proobbably the weakest song on the album for me just by virtue of not standing out near as much as the others.

Send His Love to Me- The guitar rhythm in this song goes off agjwbiubiuriojg, anyways yea it's such a contrast to the rest of the album, I could view this as almost a predecessor to To Bring You My Love in a way even. It's interesting that the album closes in almost an inversion of how it started, the last 4 being a lot more focused on grief than the former half.

The Dancer- Best song on the album 10/10 one of my favs in general. The organ tho like really, this song is just pure despair to me. The dancer that we see the point of view of is likely a street performer of sorts who falls for a man that uses her for a night before abandoning her as soon as he's done. It's probably the most tragic story on the album. Interesting that we hear some higher notes in this song which she doesn't usually go into until White Chalk.

Though it's not the easiest to truly recommend PJ Harvey because each album is so drastically different, I think this album is probably the best one(along with Rid of Me) to start with and if you like some aspects of it especially her vocals and song writing then you might like her other projects as well even if this one didn't 100% sell you.

tl;dr I like the album 10/10

And to conclude this exceptionally long post, I'd like to renominate Tori Amos' debut album Little Earthquakes for the same reasons as the first week

Ps mobile sucks and i accidentally quoted my post trying to fix a typo x_x

Last edited:

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Last day for nominations!

What'd y'all think of PJ Harvey? At least 8 people wanted to listen to the album. You don't have to write in-depth about it.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
re-nomming pink moon by nick drake

listened to the pj harvey album twice so far, but gonna listen to it one or two more times before i write anything about it

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the full album, but from what I got to listen to, I really like every single track's sound, especially her voice. Definitely wasn't expecting her voice to work with the genre of the album and will for sure try to finish the whole thing whenever I can.

Also, I think it would help if we had something else to do during the week while everyone listens to the album we choose. It doesn't have to be too overbearing, just something to past the time without the lack of conversation here.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
People are free to talk about albums or music in general here. If anyone has another idea to fill space, I'm open to it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Well, we're in a two week cycle right now, what with no one voting yet

---------------------------

CURRENT VOTING FOR WEEK OF 3/7

THE VOTE

vonFiedler
The Raven by Lou Reed (2003)
I've dumped on Lou Reed before for how his lyrical abilities far exceed anything else he can do. But one of his hidden gem songs is Who Am I, and it's from a big Edgar Allen Poe concept album. I'm intrigued. I'm a bit doubtful I'd ever get around to checking this album out on my own, so it goes here.

Tenshi
Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos (1992)
Little Earthquakes is one of the most important albums for most any if not in some ways every female artist who got their fame after the 90s. It isn't a stretch to say Tori started what would become almost a surge of female singer/songwriter artists in the later 90s and early 00s, especially piano players which were nearly nonexistent in the pop industry before Tori (Tori herself had trouble keeping the piano as her record label wanted to replace them all with guitars which would've been...needless to say Tori didn't allow that and thank fuck for that cause this is some of the best piano playing I've heard in an album). The album does very heavily discuss themes of patriarchal imbalance(and Tori's struggles because of it), Christianity and her religious upbringing causing guilt, and her own sexual assault so it can be a tough listen at times.

ASMRxism
Velocity Design Comfort by Sweet Trip

berry
Pink Moon by Nick Drake (1972)
in a stark contrast to all of my other highly-rated (9+/10) albums, pink moon is a short, stripped down folk album focusing on topics of depression, loneliness, and failure with poetic but empty vocals pretty much whispered over drake's own guitar playing. this album is impossible to describe with words other than "simple", but but that hardly tells the whole story- it's more atmospheric if anything, with drake seemingly just trying to fill a void before his disappearance and suicide two years later. personal depressioncore favorite for rainy nights

-----------------------------------------

I think I'll start posting my album stuff here, in hide tags mind you. I encourage others to talk about any music stuff they'd like as well.

Serpi

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I've known and loved the title track for a long time, I think it was only fair that I give the album a listen too so shoutouts to this thread for giving me a little push to finally do that! So yeah, To Bring You My Love was really exciting, lots of different styles and mood swings.
I listened to it a few times and so far my favourite tracks are probably Long Snake Moan and also still the title track. They're super powerful and catch me everytime I listen to them. Working For The Man and Teclo are also very enjoyable, although in a whole different way. Down By The Water seems to be very popular and I can definitely see why, it's catchy, I like it. Every listen of the album something new caught my attention, so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other tracks continue to grow on me as well, like Meet Ze Monsta and The Dancer.

Overall I'm glad I gave it a go, if I had to put a number on it it would be an 8 or maybe a 7 for now, don't wanna exaggerate

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Somewhere or another votes accumulated for Tori Amo's Little Earthquakes, if y'all are interested in at least giving that a listen.

I'm pretty busy now so this thread's revival kinda hinges on whether people care or not right now, I realize we just came out of finals weeks so maybe that was an issue. At any rate, if people want to nominate stuff, they'll be open for a week and half this time.

Too busy to do my album tier thread, which while fun has hit a bloating point in number of albums factored. Still, it's been three months since I last did a topster, so here's my favorite albums as of now:
topsters2.jpg

New albums of note:
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love new at 3
Paramore - After Laughter new at 7
Dexys Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay new at 19
Danny Wilson - Meet Danny Wilson new at 22
The Doobie Brothers - Stampede new at 27
Dead or Alive - Nude new at 28
Gorillaz - Demon Days new at 29
Howard Jones - Human's Lib new at 33
Spice Girls - Spice new at 39
Rina Sawayama - Sawayama new at 41
Jeff Lyne - Armchair Theatre new at 42

Savage Garden 22-6 up 16
Abbey Road 24-18 up 6
Ziggy Stardust 12-8 up 4
Rock Steady 11-9 up 2

Random Access Memories 3-5 down 2
(Pronounced 'Leh-'Nérd 'Skin-'Nérd) 35-37 down 2
The Stranger 8-11 down 3
Some Great Reward 13-16 down 3
Point of Know Return 14-17 down 3
Erasure 10-14 down 4
Led Zeppelin IV 32-36 down 4
She's so Unusual 5-10 down 5
The Long Run 15-20 down 5
Labyrinth 16-21 down 5
Hi Infidelity 20-25 down 5
Rumours 6-12 down 6
Heartbeat City 7-13 down 6
Bat out of Hell 9-15 down 6
Days of Future Passed 17-23 down 6
Dreamboat Annie 18-24 down 6
Flashdance 28-34 down 6
Thriller 29-35 down 6
Rio 25-32 down 7
Volta 21-31 down 10
Boston 30-40 down 10
Breakfast in America 19-30 down 11
Broadcast 27-38 down 11

Toto gone from 23
Hunting High and Low gone from 31
The Fame Monster gone from 33
Like a Virgin gone from 34
Asia gone from 36
Songs from the Big Chair gone from 37
Forever Young gone from 38
Whenever You Need Somebody gone from 39
Outlandos d'Amour gone from 40
24K Magic gone from 41
Full Moon Fever gone from 42

Astra

talk to me nice
I posted this in the favorite albums thread, so I'd figured I'd post here too if anyone's interested.

I found a pretty cool website that generates a different album "you must hear before you die" everyday. There's a total of 1001 different albums you can get, but you customize which specific genres you'd like to get if you'd like. You're also able to rate them. Here's the link:

https://1001albumsgenerator.com/

There's also an option to makes groups where everyone would be able to listen to the same album and share our ratings of them, so maybe we can have our little own Smogon group if enough people are interested. Obviously, you don't have to commit to every single day.

I Nominate Meet The Woo 2 by Pop Smoke (2020)

This is my favorite album even though it's more than a year old now. Meet The Woo 2 by Pop Smoke is a playlist that consists in turn-up rap music and collaboration tracks with other well known rappers like Lil Tjay, Fivio Foreign, Quavo, and A Boogie wit da Hoodie. To be frank, I first heard of Pop Smoke after his tragic death and this was his first album I listened to, and I was very impressed. I would definitely recommend listening to this album because it really is one of a kind.

Album highlights: Get Back, Invincible, Element, and Christopher Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)