Pokémon Aegislash

Status
Not open for further replies.
So pokemon in OU see an OU pokemon as a threat? That's not even news.

Aegislash is slow as sin, takes a fair while to set up, and has trouble with more or less any physical tank because even with a +2 with base 150 atk, it doesn't do a lot with shadow sneak. Kings shield is very easy to predict and in most cases will just delay an inevitable OHKO.
That would be a problem if aegislash wasn't much better as a mixed attacker. SD aegislash hasn't been the main set since October 12th. If you are still running stance dance aegislash, you have been living under a rock the last 4 months

What's the best nature for Mixed Autotomize Weakness Policy Aegislash, Naive or Rash? (Moveset in question would be Autotomize/Shadow Ball/Sacred Sword/HP Ice)

Still wanna test the HP Ice Autotomize set (to the post above, Rash is probably best), but the set I've started really becoming a fan of is a variation/combination of two sets in the OP.

Aegislash @ Life Orb
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
IVs: 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

I'm still planning on shifting some Atk into HP, just don't know how much yet, but even still this set is a fantastic pivot. Aegislash has had a hilarious road so far in the new gen, and while I am more than glad to face that SD set, for the sake of competitiveness, specially based mixed Aegislash is really good and hope it becomes more popular.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I made this post5 because in Pokemon Online (even though is not Smogon, it serves as a reference) the pokemon that are in the top of UU has a clear weakness to Aegislash.
Sylveon 18.912 8835
Latias 18.3919 8592
Terrakion 17.2338 8051
Jirachi 16.9769 7931
Gardevoir 15.1232 7065

Salamence 12.9612 6055
Kyurem-B 12.5309 5854
Keldeo 12.4346 5809
Heracross 11.7347 5482

Weavile 11.0111 5144
Chansey 10.3925 4855
Zapdos 10.2213 4775
Doublade 9.82954 4592
Victini 9.77816 4568
Absol 9.21733 4306
Medicham 9.11458 4258
Manaphy 8.56232 4000

The pokemon that I put in bold has serious issues with Aegislash and almost counter it in most instances. Some of these pokemon are UU because Aegislash counters them.
Terrakion and Kyu-B don't really have serious issues with Aegislash though. Terrakion has a high chance of OHKOing at +2 with EQ, and Kyu-B can set up a sub on a predicted (and obvious) KS and then proceed to 3HKO with Earth Power.

On the subject of synergistic team options, I've found Mega-Tyranitar to be useful. Aegislash covers the fighting, fairy and bug weakness, so could safely switch into say, mega Heracross. It doesn't take sand damage which is nice, and if you get it in on a choice item user, it can set up. On the other hand, Tyranitar covers the fire and ghost weaknesses. Ideally, you could complete this defensive lineup with a ground immunity, Gliscor being my personal choice.

Or you could always use a offensive and defensive core with Mandibuzz, T-Tar, and Aegi. T-Tar goes in with sand, raising aegi`s Sp.def, Or you can go into mandibuzz and stall, and proceed to clean up with aegi and t-tar.

I do think something good with a Foul Play could shut him down, especially if they can taunt him and force him into Blade Form. I could be wrong, but I think Mandibuzz might serve as a good counter since she can do both moves and is faster than Aegislash, not to mention the fact that it gets Roost to heal herself even if she does get scarred and cut by him if he doesn't use Swords Dance before she comes in. After a Taunt, he can't use King's Shield anymore and cannot neutralize her Attack stat with it (makes contact, I believe). You can't get away with a Shadow Sneak and you'll be as slow as a Snail with horrifying HP.

A Prankster with Will-O Wisp might also cripple it, and I found a Dual Screens Klefki to be of use as well since Reflect/Light Screen could neutralize some of the damage taken from Aegislash AND gets Foul Play. If Klefki comes first in the field, he could set up a few Spikes to make Aegislash take damage if he doesn't have any support to remove that entry hazard, especially when he has low HP.

Last edited:
Yeah, Mandi's definitely good against most Aegislash, that's one of the reasons she's as popular as she is - the only ones that really beat her are the CB variants with Head Smash, which are rather rare, though I'd like to see more.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 418-492 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

ok.... im looking at the fencer set and wondering... which do i use? iron head or scared sword? iron head can demolish pesky fairies and has STAB so its gonna be powerful paired with SD. now on the other hand, there are alot of pokemon that r weak to fighting type moves in the OU. even though it has no stab, its really useful (kinda more than iron head) but the con is that it has no STAB... so which one do i use?

Yeah, Mandi's definitely good against most Aegislash, that's one of the reasons she's as popular as she is - the only ones that really beat her are the CB variants with Head Smash, which are rather rare, though I'd like to see more.
252+ Atk Choice Band Aegislash-Blade Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mandibuzz: 418-492 (98.5 - 116%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
The problem with this is that you're taking about 65% back as recoil damage - not really optimal unless you don't need Aegislash for anything else.

Inb4 Lagging Tail Aegislash!

In all seriousness though (and maybe it is just me) I feel like Aegislash is going to be one of the few Pokemon that can run the same set in Singles and Doubles and still be viable.

I feel like Automotize sets will tend to lack King's Shield for the most part, instead favoring more of a Hit and Run play style. Something like Max Atk/Spe with Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak(Night Slash)/Automotize/Iron Head will be very nice coverage with a Priority option should you need it.

SubSD Aegislash is what I am most looking forward to however. With just Shadow Sneak, you threaten a ton of things while having that beautiful 1 attack immunity. Along with its great typing, which will likely force a few switches, gaining free Sub Turns, once it's behind the Sub, you can Dance up and start wrecking with Priority from that lovely base 150 attack. Something that needs confirmation though: does the King's Shield attack drop happen through Substitute? Or does Sub block the stat drop going out as well as ones coming in?

Finally, what's the likelyhood of seeing something like this?

Aegislash @ Choice Band
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Filler (Explosion could be fun if it learns it)

Depending on what TMs, Tutor Moves and Egg Moves Aegislash receives (WoW and Pain Split from Duskull Line? Unconfirmed Shift Gear?), Aegislash has a ton of potential, a unique typing and ability, multiple viable sets, and it looks super awesome to boot.

Really hoping GF didn't drop the ball on this guy.
Aegislash #681

Type
:
/

Base Stats:
Shield Stance: 60 / 50 / 150 / 50 / 150 / 60
Sword Stance: 60 / 150 / 50 / 150 / 50 / 60
Ability: Stance Change
Stance Change is Aegislash's signature ability, and with thoughtful play it essentially allows Aegislash to change between being a Deoxys-A and a Deoxys-D at will. When Aegislash makes a move, before it completes its move it will change form depending on the type of move used. If it is a damage dealing move, Aegislash will change into its Blade Forme, an extremely powerful but frail mixed attacker. If it uses King's Shield, then it will revert back into Shield Forme, an extremely bulky mixed wall. Other non-damaging moves do not cause a form change. Note that Aegislash is by default in Shield Forme, and will be in Shield Forme when switched in.

Movepool: I'm not sure at what level it learns what, I'll update this when it becomes known, the current list of confirmed moves is:

• Aerial Ace

• Autotomize

• Frustration
  • Head Smash
  • Hidden Power

• Iron Defense
  • Iron Head
  • King's Shield
  • Night Slash

• Protect
  • Pursuit
  • Rest
  • Return
  • Sacred Sword
  • Shadow Sneak
  • Sleep Talk
  • Swords Dance
  • Toxic
  • Cut
  • Fury Cutter
  • Metal Sound
  • Power Trick
  • Retaliate
  • Slash
  • Tackle
A notable move to explain is Aegislash's signature move King's Shield. King's Shield in essence works as protect, blocking a single enemy attack. This allows Aegislash to safely revert back to its Shield Forme the turn after it attacks, ready to take another hit. However, in addition to acting like protect, if the opposing pokemon would make contact with Aegislash when King's Shield is active, its Attack stat harshly drops. This move forces your opponent to think carefully when facing Aegislash with a physical attacker. However, it seems as though King's Shield does not protect against status moves. I have reports that King's Shield failed to protect against Will-o-wisp and pain split.

Potential Movesets

Of course since there is not currently a ladder for Gen 6, I can not speak about these sets with true experience. I have however played many games with experienced Pokemon players and these sets are a collection of our current knowledge.

Brave Fencer Aegislash
Item:
Leftovers
Shadow Sneak
Sacred Sword/Iron Head
King's Shield
Swords Dance

There are many options for EVs and Natures that will be discussed below. For the most part I use 252 HP and 252 in either Attack, Defense or Special Defense, with a Brave, Relaxed or Sassy nature respectively. Brave allows you to be a threat without boosts. Aegislash however has ample opportunities to use Swords Dance, so its Relaxed and Sassy variants give it more staying power. Also I believe that Aegislash will grow to have very specific EVs to deal with certain specific threats, kind of like how Standard Ferrothorn is. Once the ladder is up I'm going to look hard into the best spread for this little guy.

Set Description:
I believe this to be Aegislash's greatest set so far. It best allows Aegislash to abuse its signature ability to great effect. Aegislash's unique typing and amazing bulk allows it to switch into many situations. From there it can threaten physical attackers with King's Shield. If their Attack is dropped, Aegislash is able to use Swords Dance without repercussion. Due to his bulk, he is able to set up on many Pokemon who lack strong moves to threaten him. With +2 attack, Aegislash is able 2HKO many pokemon with a combination of Sacred Sword followed by Shadow Sneak. Due to his low speed, Aegislash will first take damage in his bulky shield forme, before transforming into blade forme to deal out incredibly strong Sacred Swords. In Blade Forme, Aegislash is incredibly frail. King's Shield can be used change back into shield forme, however this can be incredibly predictable and can allow you opponent to set up something, such as a substitute. Aegislash is not a typical sweeper. To utilize Aegislash you must often revert back to Shield forme to absorb hits and retaliate, unlike typical sweepers which usually kill or are killed. In essence, Aegislash fights like a fencer, hence the set's name.
Iron Head is stronger on neutral Pokemon, but you lose out on having perfect coverage, which may end with Aegislash being countered by pokemon such as Pyroar, Heliolisk and Bisharp.

The following sets were taken from here.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA <br />
Quiet / Adamant Nature<br />
- King's Shield<br />
- Shadow Ball / Iron Head<br />
- Shadow Sneak<br />
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword</p>

• Good power, bulk, and coverage makes this set a great tank
  • King's Shield helps check physical attackers and allows you to go into Shield Forme
  • Shadow Ball allows you to 2HKO physical walls such as Skarmory and Hippowdon and is in general your best nuke
  • Iron Head deals with Sylveon, Goodra, Togekiss, Tyranitar and more
  • Use 252 Atk / 252 HP if you want to go with Iron Head + Sacred Sword
  • Sacred Sword hits Greninja, Tyranitar, and Ferrothorn
  • A max HP / max SpD spread is possible to spinblock Starmie
  • Chesanught makes for a very good partner that deal with Ground-types and sets up Spikes
  • Rotom-W is a good switch-in to Ground and Fire-types that threaten Aegislash

Aegislash @ Leftovers
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head

• Works as a bulky pivot that sweeps late game with the appropriate boosts
  • If you face offense, use Autotomize, otherwise using SD is preffered
  • Or set up both with Aegislash's excellent bulk and typing
  • Unlike the SD + King's Shield set this set can become powerful in a single turn. +2 Shadow Claw does more damage than +4 Shadow Sneak
  • Sacred Sword is preferred for its superior super effective coverage, but Iron Head is useful against Fairy-types and is your strongest move against Hippowdon
  • Enough Speed to outrun base 130s at +2 Speed
  • Likes hazard support
  • Usual partners to cover its weaknesses

Aegislash @ Spooky Plate / Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

• Great wallbreaker
  • The usual checks to Aegislash, such as physically defensive Hippowdon and Skarmory, are all easily 2HKOed by Shadow Ball
  • Shadow Ball from 150 SpA in general is a nuke due to the lack of durable resists
  • Shadow Sneak picks off anything faster that isn't OHKOed by Shadow Ball. Aegislash can take a hit from a ton of Pokemon and 2HKO them with the combo of Shadow Ball + Shadow Sneak
  • Iron Head takes care of special walls such as Sylveon, Togekiss, and Goodra
  • Sacred Sword covers Tyranitar, Greninja, and Ferrothorn
  • Shadow Ball will be your main nuke, so a Quiet nature is preferred, but a Brave nature is a viable alternative to power up your three other attacks
  • You can use Life Orb with a Quiet nature, which allows Aegislash to 2HKO specially defensive Hippowdon with a layer of Spikes, 2HKO max HP Vaporeon and SpD Zapdos, and in general gives to Aegislash a bit more power. However, the Life Orb recoil cuts down on Aegislash's bulk a lot
  • This set is also a good SmashPass receiver
  • Chesanught makes for a very good partner that deal with Ground-types and sets up Spikes

Aegislash @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- King's Shield / Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword / Iron Head

• Two SD sets. One is a mix of tank and sweeper and the other is a mix of wallbreaker and sweeper. The first (King's Shield) trades immediate power and coverage for sweeping potential. Similar to the first set, but relies on SD for offensive pressure. This allows it to do some cleaning late-game with Shadow Sneak and punish physical attackers which get forced out due to the -2 Atk drop from King's Shield. The second (Shadow Claw) uses 3 attacks and LO to have more power and get more OHKOes with Shadow Sneak but is much more prone to physical attackers that it can't OHKO without the defensive buff of King's Shield
  • Iron Head is the strongest physical move on Aegislash's arsenal and gets great neutral coverage with Shadow Sneak. On the other hand, Sacred Sword has less power but offers better super effective coverage, covering Pokemon such as Ferrothorn AND Greninja. Iron Head is the better move with King's Shield and Sacred Sword with Shadow Claw but both are very viable and can be used according to your teams needs
  • With King's Shield it struggles against physical walls such as Hippowdon and Skarmory so carry strong special attackers and probably a Rapid Spin or a Defog user. Rotom-W and Mega Blastoise are good Pokemon for these jobs
  • With Shadow Claw it fails to anything that can take a hit and has a strong move to hit back. Hippowdon is still a good answer, although it should be mentioned that Aegislash can opt to boost twice, tanking an EQ at Shield Forme and OHKOing at +4, in which case Hippowdon should use Whirlwind instead of EQ after switching in. It's kind of a 50-50 situation. Garchomp, Hydreigon, Diggersby, and Zygarder are great checks as they avoid the OHKO from +2 Shadow Sneak and OHKO back.
  • Chesnaught makes for a very good partner that deal with Ground-types and sets up Spikes

Aegislash @ Life Orb
EVs: 88 Atk / 252 SpA / 168 Spe
Rash Nature
- Autotomize
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Ice
- Iron Head / Sacred Sword

• Good cleaner
  • Takes a hit in Shield Forme and then sets up with Autotomize
  • Outspeeds everything up to positive-natured base 130s after a boost
  • Shadow Blast is your main weapon and very little Pokemon don't take considerable damage from it
  • Hidden Power Ice OHKOes Dragonite, Garchomp, Gliscor, and maybe other Pokemon that i am forgetting
  • Sacred Sword OHKOs Tyranitar and Greninja, and 2HKOes Ferrothorn
  • Iron Head deals with Fairy-types such as Togekiss and Sylveon while also covering Tyranitar
  • Needs hazard support. With Sticky Web support Aegislash can outspeed any Choice Scarf Pokemon, being virtually impossible to outspeed. Smeargle and Galvantula can provide the hazards that Aegislash needs but be careful about Defog users. Magnezone support could be appreciated if you are using Sticky Web, in order to trap the best Defog user, Scizor

Checks and Counters:
I've limited my search to things that are currently OU in Gen 5. Darkrai can check Aegislash by being fast and putting it to sleep, however I believe Darkrai will swiftly be put back in Ubers where it belongs. So far I have found very few true counters to Aegislash. Due to Aeglislash's dependance on King's Shield, any pokemon with a boosting move or substitute can handle Aegislash if your predictions are 100% correct. However, to counter Aegislash completely a pokemon needs to fit the following criteria, otherwise it is not a reliable, prediction free counter:
1. It must not be threatened by +2 shadow sneak.
2. It must be able to survive a combination of +2 Sacred Sword followed by +2 shadow sneak, or be able to OHKO Aegislash while it is in shield forme.
3. or alternatively have some crazy stuff like Malamar.
4. Be able to deal with all good variants of Aegislash

Counters:
Landorus-T
with its typical choice scarf set is able to switch into anything Aegislash has, assuming you have not already allowed it to set up already. With intimidate, Landorus-T is able to bulk a combination of Sacred Sword and Shadow Sneak and get a clean 2HKO with Earthquake even on maximum physical defense Aegislash. It does not need to fear King's Shield as Earthquake is a non-contact move. An interesting choice might be Choice Band Landorus-T, which gets a clean OHKO on Aegislash-Shield.

Donphan counters Aegislash in a similar way to Landorus. While it does not have Intimidate, its superior physical bulk still allows it to tank a combination of +2 Sacred Sword and +2 Shadow Sneak. 252 Attack Donphan with a neutral nature can 2HKO Aegislash even if it is maximum Defense.

Malamar does not counter Aegislash through sheer force, but through a combination of Contrary and Topsy Turvy. Malamar is unable to bulk a +2 Sacred Sword or Iron Head, however Malamar will not allow Aegislash that pleasure. As Malamar outspeeds Aegislash and can survive a Shadow Sneak, it is able to use Topsy Turvy to reverse any attack boosts Aegislash has, most likely forcing it out. Malamar also can use its super effective STAB Night Slash with impunity, if it activates Aegislash's King's Shield it will boost Malamar's Attack due to his ability contary. However, Malamar is weak to the aforementioned Shadow Sneak.

Good checks:
Anything that is sorta bulky and can spam Earthquake or special fire and dark moves can handily take on Aegislash. For instance Banded Garchomp can handily "OHKO" Sassy or Brave Aegislash through a combination of Earthquake and Rough skin, whilst bulking anything Aegislash has at +2. However it loses to a Relaxed Aegislash, who can survive Earthquake + Rough Skin damage. Life Orb Mamoswine can OHKO Relaxed Aegislash after Stealth Rock damage, and can survive a +2 Shadow Sneak. However, unlike his other counters your opponent can predict a switch into mamoswine and KO with an unboosted Sacred Sword.

Synergistic Team Choices:
Flyings types because you are going to get a ton of Earthquakes in your face. Levitating mons could also do well I suppose. Not entirely sure what specific mons go best with him though. Perhaps normal/flying because it is immune to 2/3 of Aegislash's weaknesses.
Stealth Rocks are almost requried on every team, but I'd say even more so with Aegislash. Spikes too. SR and Spikes will allow Aegislash to kill so much more with a combination of Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak. I'd suggest spikes support is almost neccessary if you want to run Sassy or Relaxed Aegislash, who lack the power of Brave Aegislash. Klefki is an interesting teammate, with prankster spikes and sash it gets a guaranteed layer of spikes against all but prankster taunt, and 2 layers of spikes against most other things. Add SR and you erase a lot of Aegislash's would-be checks. I'll collect some specific examples later.

Personal Opinion of the pokemon and conclusion:hot damn this is one of the most fun pokemon to use ever and it's strong as hell too, it's Free Swords Dance: The Pokemon and Predictioning: The Pokemon.

Topics to discuss (of course this will probably be mainly theorymoning at this point but oh well):
What do you think of Aegislash overall? Do you have an alternative set that you have used?
What are some other solid checks and counters to Aegislash?
What team mates synergise well with Aegislash?
Aegislash best pokemon y/n

An option that I am going to try is this.
Brave Nature
Leftovers/life orb
252 attack/126Def/126 special defense 4 other
Sword Dance/Sacred Sword/shadow sneak
gyro ball
King's Shield
Shadow Claw/ Shadow Sneak/sacred sword

Aegislash has crappy speed and it is begging for a gyro ball. It might not be the absolute best option compared to other steels but compared to all the super fast "friends" in the OU, it will be a major punch in the face. Shadow claw trades a good hit (70) compared to a quick hit sneak (40) and the set can be interswapped. Just a twist that I am going to try out.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Is HP Ice Aegislash good?
It can be, but keep in mind that a super effective HP Ice is only as strong as a neutral Flash Cannon / Shadow Ball, so it's only useful against 4x weak opponents. However, many of them would otherwise threaten Aegislash out, such as Gliscor, Lando-I/T, and Garchomp, and 252+ HP Ice is a clean OHKO on all of them. So if your team struggles with them HP Ice might be a good choice for you!

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
An option that I am going to try is this.
Brave Nature
Leftovers/life orb
252 attack/126Def/126 special defense 4 other
Sword Dance/Sacred Sword/shadow sneak
gyro ball
King's Shield
Shadow Claw/ Shadow Sneak/sacred sword

Aegislash has crappy speed and it is begging for a gyro ball. It might not be the absolute best option compared to other steels but compared to all the super fast "friends" in the OU, it will be a major punch in the face. Shadow claw trades a good hit (70) compared to a quick hit sneak (40) and the set can be interswapped. Just a twist that I am going to try out.
Use Iron Head instead of Gyro ball. Steel is not a great offensive typing, and it should only be used for SE damage of if your ghost stab is not very effective. In those situations, you'd mostly be talking about Togekiss, Clefable, Mandibuzz, and Tyrannitar. Of those, all are hit harder by Iron Head due to their poor speed. Also, there are only 4 OU viable pokemon that would be hit harder with Gyro Ball than Iron head; Deoxys-S, Alakazam-M, Aerodactyl-M, and Manectric-M. All of those but Aerodactyl are hit harder by ghost moves. So, unless your team is extremely weak to Mega Aerodactyl, use iron head as your physical steel STAB, assuming you want one. In my opinion Special+physical ghost + Sacred Sword is the best.

For a mixed Aegislash (see below), what would be best in terms of speed IV? 31 or 0? With 31, it'll take down other weakened Aegislashes, but 0 speed IV allows for more general safety. What is best in your experience? Any reccommendations?

Aegislash @ Life Orb/Spooky Plate
IVs: 0/31 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
For a mixed Aegislash (see below), what would be best in terms of speed IV? 31 or 0? With 31, it'll take down other weakened Aegislashes, but 0 speed IV allows for more general safety. What is best in your experience? Any reccommendations?

Aegislash @ Life Orb/Spooky Plate
IVs: 0/31 Spe
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
0 Speed IVs are generally best to avoid ever being hit in Blade Form.

HP Ice is actually a pretty cool move on Balloon Aegislash. It sort of functions under the same premise as Balloon Heatran in that it uses its natural bulk and Steel-typing along with the Balloon's Ground immunity to beat several Pokemon that it couldn't before, namely Excadrill, Landorus, Landorus-T, Garchomp, Zygarde, Dragonite (although Fire Punch still hurts), Salamence (likewise for Fire Blast), and Gliscor. HP Ice lets it net OHKOs on all of the aforementioned 4x weak Pokemon (although Dragonite and 4/0 Zygarde require Stealth Rock to guarantee the OHKO), and Excadrill is destroyed by Sacred Sword. In fact, it can actually spinblock Excadrill provided you can avoid switching in on Rock Slide or Iron Head, which is pretty awesome.

Is there any reason to use a Brave Nature Aegis over Adamant? Outside of Tyranitar I can't for the life of me think of a poke he needs to outspeed.

Last edited:
0 Speed IVs are generally best to avoid ever being hit in Blade Form.
Nah, you want to go with 31 iv's in speed w/ 12 speed ev's so you can outspeed sassy tyranitar. 0 ivs doesn't really let you be slower than anything you'd really like to be slower than. However, you definitely want to be faster than sassy T-Tar.

Is there any reason to use a Brave Nature Aegis over Adamant? Outside of Tyranitar I can't for the life of me think of a poke he needs to outspeed.
Well people use speed reducing natures because Aegislash primarily use both of Aegislash's attacking stats. A Quiet nature is used to power up Shadow Ball, which is Aegislash's strongest STAB move and the one with the best neutral coverage. I assume when you are talking about Brave vs Adamant you are referring to SD Aegislash. The advantage that Brave presented was that in a mirror SD Aegislash vs SD Aegislash matchup, the slower Aegislash's King's Shied would fail, while the faster one's would activate. So you could King's Shield twice to have a better chance to drop the opposing Aegislash's attack / reverse the opponent's SD boost.

This situation is so rare now that running Brave is a bad idea. You would miss out on hitting Sassy Tyranitar, Sylveon, and Clefable. If you really wanted to, you could speed creep min speed CB Scizor to make sure you avoid the Knock Off and outspeed most SD Mawile's Sucker Punch. I really wouldn't recommend SD Aegislash though. If you are shooting for Aegislash to be a sweeper, checkout its Automize set and if you insist upon a Swords Dance set, run all out offensive SD:

Aegislash (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head / Shadow Claw
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SD Aegislash gets a lot of hate just because people have got used to seeing the mediocre King's Shield + SD set, which is usually used by inexperienced players. The SD set to use is indeed the one that the DoughBoy posted, and it's an amazing wallbreaker and early-game sweeper at the same time. +2 Shadow Sneak OHKOes a really large amount of offensive Pokemon, especially with SR or SR + Spikes, which a lead Deo-D partner can easily provide. Anything slower than Aegislash is 2HKOed at worst, while you can even tank a hit from some defensive Pokemon while getting to +4 (such as Hippowdon), and then OHKO them, as Aegislash's bulk is incredible, even without any investment. You can even use Head Smash to lure and eliminate Pokemon that would normally be able to take a hit and KO back, phaze, or use Defog to get rid of the hazards of Deo-D, such as Mandibuzz, Skarmory, and Mega Scizor, as Head Smash OHKOes all of them easily at +2, making sure your hazards stay up and getting rid of the opponent's physical wall at the same time. But even without setting up, SD Aegislash still has a lot of merits. Its priority is a very useful tool for revenge killing purposes, and when it can OHKO Latios after SR you know that it's strong. Even without any setup, Aegislash is an amazing tank that can dish a lot of pain. And the best thing with SD is that most people bring in their specially defensive Pokemon or Pokemon designed to deal with Shadow Ball Aegislash the moment they first see Aegislash, due to Shadow Ball Aegislash being the most common set. And there is nothing worse than sitting with a SpD Heatran or Chansey in front of a faster +2 Aegislash.

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
Is there any significant threat that outslows Aegislash at 31 Spe IVs with a hindering nature?
Assuming the "threat" has 0 speed EV's, these are the OU viable Pokemon who are slower than -Speed Aegislash:
(Bolded Pokemon very often carry super effective moves on Aegislash)

• Eelektross
• Tangrowth
• Aggron-M
• Mawile-M
• Sableye
• Donphan
• Azumarill

• Chansey
Hippowdon
• Conkeldurr

• Granbull
• Ampharos-M
Rhyperior
• Gastrodon
• Quagsire

• Amoongus
• Reuniclus
Abomasnow-M
• Snorlax

• Slowbro
• Slowking
• Aromatisse
Avalugg
• Ferrothorn
• Escavalier

Not all of these are top tier threats, but still, it is important to know that they all (except for Chansey) can really hurt you after you attack them).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)