Pending Add outdated formats as custom rules

Quite a few formats have been lost to time as Showdown aims to simulate the game as it is currently played / as it was played by the end of a generation, and I think that's a shame! These "early formats" are often substantially different than the ones we have at the end of a generation - where else can you see things like Peck on Mamoswine to hit Heracross in DP OU, Bite on Mega Gyarados in XY OU, Flareon actually having a small OU niche as a check to Clef in the early days of SwSh OU, the brisk, Flutter Maneless days of VGC 2023 Regulation A...

I think these formats have a place and are distinct enough from the main formats to be supported in some way on Showdown - heck, ADV 200 which simulates RS OU prior to the release of Colosseum is even played in some small capacity - but I figure the issue here is the clutter these would cause even if they were challenge-only formats. Therefore, what I'm proposing is a few additions to the custom challenge command that would allow players to simulate these metagames from any time period they desire! The additions I would suggest to make this possible are:
  • -Colo: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to ADV formats in Pokémon Colosseum.
  • -FRLG: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to ADV formats in Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen.
  • -Em: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to ADV formats in Pokémon Emerald.
  • -XD: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to ADV formats in Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness.
  • -Plat: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to DP formats in Pokémon Platinum.
  • -HGSS: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to DP formats in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver.
  • -DW: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to BW formats in the Dream World.
  • -BW2: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to BW formats in Pokémon Black 2 and White 2.
  • -ORAS: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to XY formats in Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
  • -USUM: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to SM formats in Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.
  • -IoA: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to SwSh formats in The Isle of Armor.
  • -CT: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to SwSh formats in The Crown Tundra.
  • -TeMa: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to SV formats in The Teal Mask.
  • -ID: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to SV formats in The Indigo Disk.
  • -Bank: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to XY and SM formats in the Pokémon Bank update.
  • -HOME: Removes all Pokémon and movepool additions made to SwSh, BDSP and SV formats in the Pokémon HOME update.
Additionally, I think a complex ban rule to ban a combination of Pokémon + move would be great to have to restrict the use of event moves that weren't available at a given time, for example Leech Seed on Vileplume in ADV 200 or the various PCNY event moves in GSC - this rule already exists for Pokémon + ability bans. These additions could even open the doors to some fun stuff like /challenge [user] gen3ou @@@ -all Pokemon, -FRLG, -Em, +Colo, +XD, which would only allow Pokémon and moves that are obtainable in the Orre games!

Thank you for any consideration. :heart:

Last edited:
I am of the opinion that especially in these newer gens, the original base meta should be preserved. Let me play SWSH OU on release with buds to revisit Hell, please. I also think some of these should just be in the builder. You can make it a drop down menu, we do not have to worry about overloading the eyes with formats.

Begging on my hands and knees for at least some of this to be implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)