Acid rain (green team)

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Green.jpg
Green.jpg Green.jpg Green.jpg
Green.jpg

Note: this is not a team that can be used in pokemon green. Thanks for reading this.

Hello everyone, and welcome to another rain team you all love so much.
You might (but probably don't) know me as FIREEEE on pokemon showdown. I've never really liked playing with weather teams as I usually have a hard time deciding how important the weather is for the game, and often make the mistake of sacking my weather poke too soon/not soon enough. Next to that, it just feels more awesome kicking another person's butt with six strong and awesome pokes than setting up rain to lower weaknesses and make some attacks stronger. However, I felt the need to learn to play with a rain team to better know what my opponent thinks while using one. I also wanted to try it just once to maybe change my opinion about weather in general. Rain seems like the weather that's the easiest to step into.
I'm definitely not new to the competitive pokemon scene, but I've only played 100-150 OU games in my life. I usually enjoy the weird tiers more (like GBU singles and CAP) and as I had success there (Top 10 and top 3 placements) I thought OU would be the same difficulty. But boy I was wrong.
If you're interested in my ranking, I'm around the 1900 mark with 1929 (26-6-1) being the highest. The tie was actually my first battle on this account :D

Anyway, enough about my feelings about the OU tier. Let's go to the team.
186.gif Dnite.gif Espy.gif 598.gif 251.gif 286.gif

186.gif

Green bean (Politoed) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Surf

As you can probably see, my team has a bit of trouble with the dragons rampaging this tier. Physically defensive politoed isn't a counter, but if something dies I can probably take a hit and kill with ice beam.
I chose not to run focus blast or a choice set on this because the pokemon that those moves/sets hit are already handled pretty well by the rest of my team. My breloom can handle tyranitars, and so can my ferrothorn if it doesn't have to switch in on a superpower. My dragonite can easily 2HKO even specially defensive ferrothorn with hurricane, and otherwise my espeon and breloom can handle them as well.
I originally ran hypnosis instead of toxic, but I found it to be too unreliable to use against the 1900+ players I'm now battling. The chance of two turns going to waste is too high.
I rarely lead with this, as it stops my espeon from killing scizor/ferrothorn with HP fire.

Dnite.gif

Swag drag (Dragonite) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Multiscale
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Thunder

You'd be surprised how much use this dragon has on my team. It's my strongest special attacker with coverage that make not a single pokemon being able to switch into this thing. Ferrothorns don't appreciate getting 2HKO'd by a hurricane after thinking they have nothing to fear in rain.
I do need a +speed nature, otherwise pokemon like heatran will be able to outspeed it. I like to have a fast-paced sweeper.

Espy.gif

Dog (Espeon) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Bounce
IV's: 2 Atk
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam

This pokemon has gone through the most changes. I just couldn't find the right set, until I tried a life orb set which I was finally content with. All of its attacks are of different types than dragonite so they compliment each other really well. HP fire is a necessity if you don't want to get trapped by scizor. Signal beam is there to take a final 30-40% off of Ttar if I happen to get trapped.
Calm mind was the least useful move on this pokemon's moveset, so I swapped it for baton pass.
The reason he's called dog is because he has personality issues. Don't mock him please.

286.gif

Umbrella shroom (Breloom) @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Breloom is the only priority user of my team, and is mainly used to stop sweeps. If there isn't a pokemon that can set up on my opponent's team, I usually lead with it to get a sleep and maybe a kill off. Mach punch can do 50% to almost anything after a swords dance.
A possible replacement for him is shiny scizor, which is arguably a better priority user and can keep momentum better.

598.gif

Doesn't it float? (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn is green enough for me.
I've ran this pokemon with spikes for a long time, but stealth rocks are so much more useful, especially against certain dragons.
This pokemon is my only counter to dragons on my team. The only thing I regret about ferrothorn on my team is sacking it too early on in a battle. Because politoad is physically defensive and to tank ice beams better, I chose a specially defensive ferrothorn. Its main use is to stop dragons and leave the switch-in with a oh-so crippling paralysis.

251.gif

Celery (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This is my momentum keeper of the team. This pokemon will often stay alive until the late-game. HP ice is chosen over HP fire as I already have a couple pokemon on my team for the grass types, and U-turning to another pokemon works just as well as hitting them in most cases. I've never faced a situation where I regretted this decision.
The +speed nature makes it fast enough to outpace most ~110 scarfers which I do enjoy a lot. The extra power is rarely necessary.
U-turn is chosen over baton pass to hit opposing celebi. I'm pretty much guaranteed to be faster, so if I face one there's two things that can happen: an immense it onto celebi, or switch advantage.

The biggest threat to my team is probably lati@s. If I see it, I need to keep the rain up and ferrothorn healthy, otherwise they'll run over my team like it's made of bubbles. Choice banded priority users are in the same boat. I always need to keep a specific switch-in alive if I face one.

This concludes my first RMT. If you didn't know yet, green is my favorite colour :D.
A winning battle:http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oucurrent-48550876
An old battle where I made some great predictions. It's an old version of the team, so beware.
A losing battle: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-49835108
I sacked ferrothorn too soon, which I think cost me the match.

Importable:
Swag drag (Dragonite) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Multiscale
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Thunder

Green bean (Politoed) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spd
Bold Nature
- Perish Song
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Dog (Espeon) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Bounce
Timid Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
- Psyshock
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Signal Beam

Umbrella shroom (Breloom) @ Fighting Gem
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance

Doesn't it float? (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave

Celery (Celebi) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Last edited:
This is a great team, as shown by the rank that you have gotten to!
One thing that I recommend is that you could us a possibly similar set to espeon but with reuniclus - a bulkier poke with still the same type, and with sufficient defense EV's could take a pursuit from TTar and either KO with Focus blast which espeon does not get or switch to breloom who can take a crunch. Magic guard or regenerator is up to you - magic guard is good for LO and possible weather counters, but regenerator lends itself more to the defensive set and prediction, if you like that (I would put magic guard for trapping TTar, and not switching too much to not waste Calm Minds).
Espeon has speed over reuniclus, but you already have a scarf celebi, dragonite and priority in breloom, so speed isnt really a problem.

Hope this helps, try it out :D

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
This is a great team, as shown by the rank that you have gotten to!
One thing that I recommend is that you could us a possibly similar set to espeon but with reuniclus - a bulkier poke with still the same type, and with sufficient defense EV's could take a pursuit from TTar and either KO with Focus blast which espeon does not get or switch to breloom who can take a crunch. Magic guard or regenerator is up to you - magic guard is good for LO and possible weather counters, but regenerator lends itself more to the defensive set and prediction, if you like that (I would put magic guard for trapping TTar, and not switching too much to not waste Calm Minds).
Espeon has speed over reuniclus, but you already have a scarf celebi, dragonite and priority in breloom, so speed isnt really a problem.

Hope this helps, try it out :D
Thanks for the recommendation. I just did a few battles with both the TR and the CM variant of reuniclus (mostly CM), but I don't think it fits as well into this team as espeon. Reuniclus mainly handles CM latias and SD garchomp less well, next to it not being able to keep SR off the field for dnite. I do agree that ttar gets hit harder, but it either fails to OHKO it or risks getting OHKO'd itself by even a jolly variant of ttar. So it's not a great solution in my eyes. Next to that, the focus blast it needs is really unreliable. Lati@s is a huge threat to my team, so I need every bit of help I can to defeat it. Maybe I can put a scarf mence in my team as well instead of celebi to hit both dragons harder and deal with ttar better?

Oh, and I put full IV's on celebi again in attack because foul play is so situational, and I like the extra power on U-turn for celebi and sometimes ttar if it's at high health.

I would reccomend removing espeon in favour of a actual spinner because the prediction is hard to get right for the hazards. As I could suggest perhaps a starmie as it works great under the rain and it can spin away the hazards plus it has the same psychic typing plus a water typing too

Also, this is kind of gimmicky but try running a sash set on espeon with calm mind - it will boost more than Life orb and is guaranteed at least one boost. Try to use it on a switch out though.

I also agree with Cschollen1, but starmie isnt green, and no green pokemon can learn rapid spin

Last edited:
i agree the espeon set/pokemon needs to be switched. other then that scarf celebi is awesome too. never tried anything except the SpD set.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion, md. I feel it works better now indeed. If there's not a obvious hazarder (skarm/forry) in the opponent's team I can even lead with it.

Oh, and I'm glad you like the celebi set. It has great coverage.

Baton pass > calm mind on espeon to escape pursuit and get switch initiative
Seconding this. The best part is it means you don't have to run signal beam, so you can run something fun like Grass Knot or Substitute.

Also, I think you should run life orb instead of Fighting Gem for Breloom. Fighting gem is only really useful on wallbreaker sets like SubPunch. With LO, a +2 breloom has a good chance to sweep.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Seconding this. The best part is it means you don't have to run signal beam, so you can run something fun like Grass Knot or Substitute.

Also, I think you should run life orb instead of Fighting Gem for Breloom. Fighting gem is only really useful on wallbreaker sets like SubPunch. With LO, a +2 breloom has a good chance to sweep.
I've used baton pass for a while now, and espy has been living a lot longer sometimes. Thanks for the tip.
However, I fail to see what the use is of substitute. Its blocking function is useless, as everything that substitute blocks is already blocked by magic bounce. It only makes predictions easier at the cost of 25% health, which I don't think is a good deal.
Also, what does grass knot hit? Most water types are hit harder by psychic (esp rotom and pony). Is it for ttar only? Wouldn't switching out with baton pass be a better move in that situation?

I've used baton pass for a while now, and espy has been living a lot longer sometimes. Thanks for the tip.
However, I fail to see what the use is of substitute. Its blocking function is useless, as everything that substitute blocks is already blocked by magic bounce. It only makes predictions easier at the cost of 25% health, which I don't think is a good deal.
Also, what does grass knot hit? Most water types are hit harder by psychic (esp rotom and pony). Is it for ttar only? Wouldn't switching out with baton pass be a better move in that situation?
Grass Knot OHKOs Gastrodon and Hippowdon , but you have three grass-types so I wouldn't worry about it. Substitute can be used with Baton Pass to guarantee a free switch-in, but I understand why you dint want to use it. Espeon has a pretty good supportive movepool, including Yawn, Dual Screens, and the ever-unexpected Rain Dance, to win the weather war in a pinch.

Also, you still haven't given me an answer about LO Breloom.

EDIT: I just realized that your team really doesn't like Scarf Dragonite/ Latios. Could I suggest HP ice over HP fighting on Celebi?

Last edited:
It seems for me that life orb always fails me in it's ability to sweep, and stay alive. A poison heal sub-puncher and seed bomb, 252hp/252atk, adamant, would serve as a wall-breaker that could handle like a boss. As it could prevent statuses with lead, and dish out it's own. (Modify hp, to hit that magic number.) A speed creep along with a good hp number could work too.

I second the Starmie > Espeon. The prediction is too dang hard and Starmie gets the nice abuse of rain, unlike Espeon.

Here is the set:
Spinnnning (Starmie) @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam / Psyshock / Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Surf / Hydro Pump
- Thunder

Gets the boost from rain while being able to spin and get a 100% accurate Thunder. Overall, just a better Pokemon over Espeon in this respect.

Hi there. Look, you're probably better than me. I really suck.

But I'm gonna give some advice to you based on what I've seen.

First, what a nice Breloom set! I've never seen it before, and the fact that it has spore makes it rival Scizor as a priority user. Good job with that, you should keep that.

Second, i know this sounds really gimmicky and standard, I much prefer Physical/Mixed nite, more likely with Dragon Dance, as you're almost guaranteed to get a DD up. Very fun to use on walls, as they can't touch you basically.

Very nice Espeon set, I'd leave it untouched. A noob question, but why 0 IVS on the attack? What is it used for? Sorry if my noob-ness is off the charts right now.

I can't really make comments on the rest of the team, because there's nothing to be changed. Once again, good job with this team. Hope you do well with it.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
Inferstrain, the low Attack IV is so that it takes minimal damage from Foul Play and self-inflicted confusion damage. It's semi-standard practice on dedicated special attackers and any walls that don't have physical moves.
Knuckstrike, a minor nitpick: I'd change that Attack IV to 2 so Hidden Power keeps its base power of 70 instead of going lower.

Nice team :)

Just one suggestion here. I would recommend a Dugtrio on this team (shiny makes it green). It can trap other weather users and allow for you to not have to worry about weather wars. It provides stealth rocks and a form of priority. I would replace your Breloom with the following set:
Dugtrio
Ability: Arena Trap
Item: Leftovers
Ev's: 252speed/252 attack/ 4 hp
Nature: Jolly
-Stealth Rock
-Substitute
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch
I would at least give Dugtrio a try because in the past it has been able to do wonders for me and can really help out with weather teams. Plus it doesn't hurt that it keeps the team spirit of being green :)

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Grass Knot OHKOs Gastrodon and Hippowdon , but you have three grass-types so I wouldn't worry about it. Substitute can be used with Baton Pass to guarantee a free switch-in, but I understand why you dint want to use it. Espeon has a pretty good supportive movepool, including Yawn, Dual Screens, and the ever-unexpected Rain Dance, to win the weather war in a pinch.

Also, you still haven't given me an answer about LO Breloom.

EDIT: I just realized that your team really doesn't like Scarf Dragonite/ Latios. Could I suggest HP ice over HP fighting on Celebi?
HP ice over HP fighting is such an easy fix and so much better I'm surprised nobody (including me) thought of it before. Thanks so much for that.

About breloom, when I reacted last time I wanted to battle a bit with it to see how good it fits with the new team. I actually used LO breloom a while ago, but it indeed lived very short, and with the fighting gem sweeps will be stopped more easily.

I'll try the poison healing sub-punching breloom. It seems like a fun set. Thanks.
And thank you missigno. for giving me the IV number needed to give espy's HP the maximum power.

Again, thank you Inferstrain for taking the time to rate my team. I kinda like special dragonite, and with my team not being able to keep SR off the field too easily (although espeon often does a good job) I don't think it'll be able to always get a DD up. Also, if it's mixed it'll lose on either power or speed significantly, next to losing on coverage as I need a slot for dd.

By the way, thanks for the suggestions about dugtrio and starmie, but I fail to see how they're green when shiny. My team is kinda based around greenness, so I'm not going to put them in. Sorry about that.
Also, ferrothorn already has rocks so it's not necessary.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
It seems for me that life orb always fails me in it's ability to sweep, and stay alive. A poison heal sub-puncher and seed bomb, 252hp/252atk, adamant, would serve as a wall-breaker that could handle like a boss. As it could prevent statuses with lead, and dish out it's own. (Modify hp, to hit that magic number.) A speed creep along with a good hp number could work too.
I tried it out, but I don't like it that much. It either misses out on the only priority I have on my team, or misses out on spore. Those two attacks are the main reasons I have breloom on my team. I don't like removing one of them.

Huh dugtrio used to be green when shiny. Maybe it has been changed. But I would still consider it because always having your weather is great. And if you got Stealth rock on Dugtrio you could replace Ferrothorn's stealth rock for spikes or protect.

Okay, I see that. I like the starmie suggestion, as prediction can be a bitch. But no one on your team, bar Dnite hates stealth rock, which should be switching around a lot anyway. Which is why I believe that a starmie that dies fast would be redundant in removing rocks. A bulky set would remove that factow, but you'd lose a lot of offensive pressure. This is why I believe you should replace your espeon with a choice band scizor. This would give you a priority and u-turn momentum if you changed your breloom set. Not much more too add. I luvdisc. Good luck.

EDIT: you would be very vulnerable to sun if you lost the weather war, idk, starmie sounds best tbh. (Too bad he's not green.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)