Accelgor

Agirudaa also get's Life Gamble, which from what I recall, does damage equal to his HP, but causes him to faint or drop to 1 HP or something.

He gets a pre-evolution move called Guard Swap that switches your Def and Sp def with your opponent, according to serebii.
He could royally screw walls since he'll be getting the aforementioned walls defenses while they'll be getting his crap defenses and he certainly has the speed to pull it off and spike more etc. or possibly rape them even with not very effective hits since his sp def is base 60. Maybe this can remedy to an extent his lack of coverage.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Apparently, In B/W, you get to see You're opponent's Pokemon and get to choose what order to pick them on based on their team. (like PBR)

With this, I find the Suicide Lead Set ineffective, since they can just lead with a counter to it, and you're can't reliably use Focus Sash while not leading.

Thank the gods.

Anyway, on that LO cleaner set, the fourth option could be Sludge Bomb (don't say anything). It can hit fliers neutrally, and bug/fight/ground/poison has good neutral coverage, resisted only by Gengar (I think).

Also, no Taunt is sad.

Hmph, this is more of a set worthy of the Agirudaa Pokemon. He's my favorite non-Genosect Bug-type of Generation 5 already.

Set name: Construct Additional Pylons

Agirudaa @ Focus Sash
EV Spread: 255 SpAtk, 255 Spe
Ability: Sticky Hold
Nature: Timid (+ Spe, - Atk)
Moveset:
1. Guard Swap [Psychic]
2. Bug Buzz [Bug]
3. Giga Drain [Grass] / Hidden Power [Ground]
4. Protect [Normal] / Spikes [Normal]

Reasons behind Movepool:

1. Swap so-so defenses with awesome defenses. Now he's not a suicide lead.

2. Bug Buzz is STAB.

3a. Giga Drain to recover health and damage the opponent simultaneously.

3b. Hidden Power Ground provides coverage against almost all Fire and Rock Pokemon that it should come across.

4a. Protect is mostly for Fake Out leads.

4b. Spikes so it can set up after Guard Swap and not suffer so badly.

Agirudaa @ life orb/focus sash
EV: 252 spe 252 hp 4 def
IV: 0 atk 0 spa
Ability: Unburden
Nature: Jolly or Timid
-Power swap
-U turn
-Energy ball/Giga drain/focus blast/Life gamble
- bug buzz

You can probably make a pretty good guess at what I'm going for here. Come in on a sweeper and use power swap to completely cripple that pokemon worse than burn. At least while its out. Now that you have its amazing stats you can either U turn out on the predicted switch or hit something hard with bug buzz or energy ball/giga drain/focus blast. If you really want to go crazy you can take advantage of all those hp EVs and use life gamble to deal 364 damage to any pokemon you want. Obviously a last resort, because it kills the user.

Focus sash is probably more preferable here, because you can switch in on something like Shanderaa or Ononokusu with calm mind/Dragon dances up the ass hole. Take the hit and survive with 1 hp and get a speed boost if you have unburden. At the same time using power swap for the...well win, really. Ononkusu will still have his speed, however. But he will have to stay in if he wants to kill Agirudaa. With nearly zero attack power and hardly any defense; not the best idea. It all depends on just how many dragon dances he was able to set up. After the +1 speed boost from unburden, Agirudaa will out pace a +2 speed, base 95 and +1 speed or scarf, base 140.

I really think this is going to be one of the top 5 leads in OU when all is said and done.

I really don't see any need to get fancy with it, just a simple suicide lead will work great.

Timid @ Focus Sash
Sticky Hold
252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
~Spikes
~U-Turn
~Bug Buzz
~Focus Blast / Yawn / Quick Attack

What sets it apart from other suicide leads is Sticky Hold and its unmatched speed. Being immune to Trick is very valuable out of the lead slot.

The only other set I see remotely viable is some sort of Baton Pass set as it can use Encore + Baton Pass to set up either Sub or Agility. Really, its offensive options seem poor with only base 100 SpA and no way to boost it.

Guard Swap allows it to eliminate the "suicide" part of Suicide Lead. And, ya know, be more than just decent. Almost everything in OU and Ubers (except Ninjask) will have better defenses anyway.

Wow. This pokemon makes a great lead. Recover + Spikes is like a fast Skarmory, and there is always a guaranteed layer of Spikes all the time thanks to its speed, before it can get KOed or Taunted. Recover means he lives even longer. I think I'm going to try this out on an offensive team which abuses Spikes.

I was looking over this guy earlier today. That Spe is pretty impressive. I'm not sure why Recover is mentioned, though. 80/40/60 defenses don't support any sort of Recover love. That base 40 Def in particular is rather pathetic.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Guard Swap and Power Swap doesn't work that way. Guard Swap switches BOOSTS to Def/SpD. Guard SHARE apparently does what people always wanted Guard Swap to do. Good thing Agirudaa gets it as an Egg Move, and can even use it with Encore (Shuckle is the parent).

Honestly I don't see what's so bad about Bug/Fighting coverage. Add HP Ice and Me First (did somebody say Draco Meteor/Shadow Ball?) and you're golden.

A fast encore is one of the greatest assets you can have. It can net you free turns (if you encore a harmless move like a weather move, stealth rocks, stat-ups, toxic etc). Then you can yawn the switch.

Thank you, Deck Knight, for being the first person to realize that this thing gets Me First and actually has the speed to pull it off. That said, I made a little set of my own right here:

Me First, ME FIRST! @ Life Orb
Nature: Naughty/Naive
EVs: 204 ATK/52 SP. ATK/252 SPEED or 248 ATK/8 SP. ATK/252 SPEED
IVs: 0 in both defenses
Ability: Sticky Hold/Hydration
Me First
U-Turn
Guard Share
Recover/Rest

This set is used to capitalize on one of Agirudaa's most interesting characteristics: being the new fastest user of Me First; the previous holders were both base 95 (Xatu and Raticate) and the best user of it last generation was Lucario (whose offensive stats I should not need to detail), so the move sank into obscurity as those Pokémon seldom outsped much without being locked into the move via Choice Scarf. This set looks to change all that and actually make people fear a Me First. The first EV spread is for use with Naughty and trades a bit of speed for more power, which Agirudaa welcomes (289/289/329), but the second spread with Naive still boasts equal attack stats for guaranteed hurting on both sides of the physical/special split (238/238/427); use whichever spread appeals to you. It also borrows a page from the Guard Share set, in case you meet up with a wall that you can sap defenses from. The recovery move of choice obviously depends on the ability you use. Rest with Hydration, or Recover with Sticky Hold; either has its advantage.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
damn shame spikes and encore are incompatible.

also a shame it doesnt learn shadow ball for ghost types on the choice specs set.

Opinions on a SubPetaya set?

Agirudaa @ Petaya Berry

Modest Nature 252 Sp Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def

~Substitute
~Bug Buzz
~Focus Blast
~Hidden Power Ground / Ice

Any opinions on this set on whether or not it will be viable in the upcoming metagame? After 3 Subs (or 2 with Stealth Rock) it gainst +1 Special Attack and +1 Speed, allowing for a potential sweep. It can only be revenged by priority as no other scarfer can match it's speed.

Agirudaa @ Petaya Berry

~Substitute
~Bug Buzz
~Focus Blast

Any opinions on this set on whether or not it will be viable in the upcoming metagame? After 3 Subs (or 2 with Stealth Rock) it gainst +1 Special Attack and +1 Speed, allowing for a potential sweep. It can only be revenged by priority as no other scarfer can match it's speed.
Hmm, this seems interesting. Reminds me of SubPetaya Empoleon, except without the need of using Agility.

Squid approves.

Agirudaa @ Petaya Berry

~Substitute
~Bug Buzz
~Focus Blast

The HP type should be something that allows it to not be walled by the likes of Gengar and Drifblim, shouldn't it?

The HP type should be something that allows it to not be walled by the likes of Gengar and Drifblim, shouldn't it?
+1 Hidden Power Ice deals 51% - 60.2% to 0 HP 0 Sp Def Gengar, and 73.4% - 86.5% to 12 HP 32 Sp Def Drifblim, clean 2HKOs. Hidden Power Ice's main reason is to hit flying types which resist Bug Buzz and Focus Blast.

It's recommended you have Gengar / Drifblim eliminated before sweeping as they can both KO when your health is 25% or lower, while you are unable to KO them at +1. Scarf Tyranitar, here, makes a wonderful partner, eliminating them with Pursuit allowing you to easily sweep after.

unburden probably will be illegal with spikes, since unburden is a dream world ability while spikes is an egg move. it may be possible to "breed" abilities, but as far as I know there isn't any research on that... so it is probably better to assume that we can't, for now.

this seems pretty appealing but when I think about it a little more, I dunno how popular it will get in the long run. Froslass is kind of a DPP analogue for Agirudaa, since it also has a Speed stat that beats a lot of other common leads and access to Spikes and not much else. Unlike Agirudaa, Froslass gets Taunt and has a Ghost typing that stops Forretress from spinning in your face. Unlike Froslass, Agirudaa gets to outspeed Aerodactyl and Azelf, and it's also got a much larger special movepool. With dedicated lead sets, they both suffer the "problem" of not doing much besides setting up Spikes, which might be the largest problem for leads like Agirudaa and Froslass. it just seems like most people don't consider "down 5-6 with Spikes" important enough to warrant suicide leads, while "down 5-6 with SR" is important enough.

I guess Agirudaa's extra special movepool will make it a bit harder for leads like Heatran + Swampert to do their business. also, Recover should let it stay alive longer than Froslass, which means it now has three pretty important things that Froslass doesn't (higher Speed, nice special attacks, Recover), so that could let it overcome the hump that Froslass hasn't been able to. or perhaps Gen 5 will change the balance of entry hazards to make Spikes more effective in the metagame, which would also be a great boon for Agirudaa...

what would be really nice is Encore + Spikes, but I just did a quick sweep of all the new Pokemon's level-up movepools and none of them get Encore + Spikes together. it might still be possible to somehow get one with the combination through egg moves + level-up, and pass it on to Agirudaa... I think? I dunno breeding mechanics tbh. anyways, just putting Encore on Agirudaa without Spikes doesn't seems like a winning strategy at all. you get to make the other guy do nothing, sure, but... you kinda do nothing as well.
Um, Froslass has the boltbeam combo which handles just about everything though she does have less special attack and speed. If you want a lead who can possibly come back later and do something then I'd use the bug. Otherwise Frolass since after I get some spikes and taunt I can use destiny bond and make it 5-5 with a layer of spikes.

I feel like Acid Bomb (Poison, Special, 40BP, 100 Acc) deserves a mention for a special sweeper set due to it sharply lowering the opponent's SpD. Basically hit something on the switch with it then choose the next move appropriately. It feels pretty gimmicky but it could help against Blissey or other special walls. For example, 252 SpA Timid LO Agirudaa does 61-72% to Standard 252 HP WishBliss with Focus Blast after one Acid Bomb.

Agirudaa could potentially be a darkrai counter in ubers, being faster than it and having a special attack 5 points higher than its' special defence.

It can use rain hydration to abuse, so it could probably come in on a dark void and wake up later that same turn...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)