ORAS LC Abra Food

What's going on y'all, I'm Joltage, mediocre LCer extraordinaire, and I decided to write up this RMT mainly because I just don't think there are enough LC RMTs running around, so why not, right? I hope you enjoy.

Alright so, this team is ancient, I built it like almost a year ago, and even though it isn't a great squad by any means despite my tinkering with it, I still enjoy using it, and have used it decently successfully during it's lifetime. Now, I don't remember exactly what my thought process was when building this team, but I'll try and walk y'all through some sort of teambuilding process.

Alright so, Snubbull and Croagunk are the first two mons in the teambuilder, and their names can combine beautifully, so I guess I built this team around the Snubbagunk core, which honestly isn't super solid, so I doubt that I actually did build around that, but whatever.

Next, I added a Scarfoo because that thing is a monster, and serves as my late game cleaner most games.

After Foo, I decided to tack on a Gastly in order to give me a strong special attacker and another mon to body fairies.... Now that I think about it, maybe this team is built around Scarfoo with an over emphasis on removing fairies and shit. Like I said though, I really don't remember. Anyway...

Chinchou was added to the squad, because, you know, Fletch checks are kinda required. Plus, it completes a volt/turn core with Foo, which is a really nice thing to have imo.

And last, but not least, Drilbur earned the final slot on the squad because I noticed that I was missing the single most important move in the game, stealth rock. On top of rocks, Dril was also added for the additional spin utility, which is certainly useful.

Now, on to the sets...

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 5
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Thief
Good ol' Snubs here serves as my primary fighting check and sports a pretty standard spread and set. The only real 'different' thing is Thief appearing alongside Eviolite, since it's more commonly seen with Berry Juice, but I chose to run it here because I prefer the added bulk of Evio to the potential recovery of Berry Juice. Plus, since Snubs is my main switchin to Mienfoo, it tends to get knocked off, and people are less likely to expect the Thief so I can hopefully surprise swipe some mon's Eviolite. Snubs is also my generic physical attacker check and secondary Fletch check, which is a bit sad, but it is what it is.

Croagunk @ Eviolite
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Knock Off
Despite the negative feelings some of the better LCers have towards this mon, Croagunk is easily my favorite 'glue mon' in the tier, and his performances and role on this team are a big reason why I love this mon so much. Croagunk just blanket checks so much, including shell smashers, Pawn, and the fairies, and these qualities make him one of the real MVPs of the team. Here, Gunk sports his standard 'mixed utility' spread and moveset with one major difference in the use of Sucker Punch over Drain Punch. I run SP because, if the team's name didn't give it away, this team gets completely and utterly fucked up, down, and sideways by Abra, so sucker punch is very, very crucial on this mon. The lack of Drain Punch causes Gunk to lose it's ability to really check Ferroseed and Porygon, which can be annoying sometimes, but it is ultimately worth it imo.

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Jump Kick
Like I said in my teambuilding process section, Scarfoo often serves as my late game cleaner and is often times my primary win con. I decided to use Reckless as opposed to Regenerator because Foo's role on this team is not that of a pivot, but of a sweeper, so I wanted to hit as hard as possible and don't really care so much about his longevity as much. Jolly was chose over Adamant in order to be as fast as possible and iirc, the roles really don't differ much at all between the two. Because foo's last move is pretty much always filler anyway, I decided to run Jump Kick there for situations where I don't need the extra power of HJK to sweep so I don't have to rely on hitting HJK, which is literally twice as likely to miss as Jump Kick. Other options there would be Stone Edge for Pony and Larvesta, cause Flame Body a bitch sometimes, or Poison Jab in order to 2HKO Spritzee post-Knock Off. (however that invites Pawn in for free and I'm never too keen on that)

Gastly @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
Heading into the squad I wanted to use Sub-Disable Gastly because I think it was, and still is a super underrated threat. Berry Juice is the item of choice so that I can sub more throughout the match and the rest of the set is pretty self explanatory imo. HP Fire is for Ferroseed (obviously) because Ferro was actually super annoying to deal with, and I'm not super worried about Pawn since I have other checks to it. I really like Sub-Disable because it allows Gastly to do a lot of cool things including escape from Stunky by subbing on the Pursuit and then Disabling it the next turn, and basically wall fighting types like Foo and Timburr by doing the same thing, which always seemed hilarious to me for some reason.

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
This pretty standard BJ Chou. Not really that much to say about it. Chinchou serves as my primary check to Fletchling, which felt a lot more secure when this team was made and Diglett wasn't quite as prevalent. Scald and Volt Switch are generic STAB and are great because burns and momentum are just beautiful things to get. Ice Beam is primarily for grasses and shit like Vullaby when I don't want to Volt Switch out. And HP Ground is for other Magnemite and other Chinchou, because as anyone who has played LC knows, the best check to Chinchou is other Chinchou.

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Tomb/Rock Slide
Finally we've got Drilbur, who provides the team with Stealth Rocks (aka the most important move in the game) and the ability to remove Stealth Rocks. Other than that, Dril works as a nice strong mon with 'EdgeQuake' coverage and even can serve as a Chinchou switch in when I'm feelin particularly ballsy/desperate. Rock Tomb was chosen over Rock Slide because speed is extremely important in Mons and that is especially true in LC so lowering your opponents speed is usually a good thing, but it really doesn't matter which move you use there.

Snubbull @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Atk / 196 Def / 196 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Thief

Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb
- Vacuum Wave
- Knock Off

Mienfoo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Jump Kick

Gastly @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 200 SpA / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Disable
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Drilbur @ Eviolite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Tomb

Threatlist

As the name of this team implies, Abra just kinda eats it alive. My method of dealing with it is seriously: Sack something to break sash, and revenge w/ Scarfoo or surprise w/ SP Gunk. Yeah, it's a bit absurd.

Actually though, despite the name of this team being 'Abra Food', I've learned to play around that, the actual scariest and most threatening thing to this entire team is Agility Porygon. Agili Pory legit 6-0s my entire team, typically in this scenario:
  • I have Chinchou out and click Scald as my opponent switches in Pory because I assume a bulky trace set​
  • Pory's Download activates and he gets a SpAtk boost as I shit myself​
  • I pray he doesn't click Agility as I just try and fail to kill it as quickly as possible as he does, in fact, click Agility​
  • I either click 'X' right then and there or cry as I watch my entire team die at the hands of this monster​
Seriously I am so glad that this thing isn't super fucking common, because it is actually absurd how thoroughly it destroys this team.

Goth is a threat in the same vein as Abra, but is about 86 times less scary for me for whatever reason. Actually, I know the reason and it is because this thing doesn't just live any one hit you can throw at it like Abra does.

+

This infamous core is obviously really threatening to the team as well thanks to the fact that my only real Fletch check is the, very trappable, Chinchou. So yeah, gotta play with caution around these two.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-78075 vs Thecrystalonix - This game was a pretty close one from one of the live tours in the other tiers series where I had to attempt to play around a Gothita that was really well played by TCO. Actually, I kinda got outplayed this entire game, but was still able to pull it out thanks to Gunk, Foo and a bit of a misplay by TCO at the end there.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-82764 vs Tynamo - The team actually loses in this game from my round 1 series in lc open. This game shows how the team can sometimes struggle against status causing bulky mons such as Foongus and Larvesta.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-206461677 vs Levi - This is a game from a room tour a long ass time ago where I have to overcome a very threatening CM Spritzee, Abra and some dumb plays on my part to eventually pull out the win thanks to some late game heroics from Croagunk.

There would be more replays, but they are really old and I can't find them by searching anymore u~u

Conclusion
Alright, so this team is obviously not the greatest thing ever created as it has numerous, noticeable flaws, but somehow this team does still work and function well enough. In fact, I think that it might be these flaws that made this team my favorite team to use over the last 9 months or so. That being said, I'm definitely excited to hear y'all's assessments and suggestions. Thank you for reading and have a great day/night.
-Joltage​

P.s. Also, shoutouts to YABO for using this and my other mediocre LC teams whenever you play LC.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Joltage;

I really like the usage of underrated sets, like Sub Disable Gastly and Rock Tomb Drilbur. You're even using Croagunk properly, meaning it's actually good since it's not trying to do 8 billion things. Good job with that, almost no one else does this well.

You might want to consider Berry Juice > Eviolite on Snubbull as this gives you an actual Abra switch in, though makes you weaker to Mienfoo + Diglett cores. This doesn't matter much if you follow my second suggestion though.

Being insanely weak to Fletchling + Diglett, and Chinchou is a mediocre Fletchling counter regardless, Berry Juice Magnemite > Chinchou is a wonderful choice. This patches the hole while dealing with Abra (that lacks Knock Off), Fairy types, somewhat covers opposing Magnemites, and deals with Shell Smashers making Croagunk have a much better time doing its thing. Unfortunately you lose a brainless Chinchou switch in, but immunities to its STAB pressure it enough that you're fine without one. Magnemite also removes a free switch in for Porygon, and can somewhat deal with it itself minimising its threat level as well.

Magnemite @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 36 Def / 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Endure
- Recycle
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Hello Joltage! I like the team and I think it's good that it uses a few unconventional sets like Sub/Disable Gastly and Sucker Punch Croagunk to beat things that it wants to. There are a few iffy movesets but they're easy to fix.

-First off agreeing with Fiend to run Magnemite over Chinchou, it really helps to lessen the reliance on Croagunk to check Shell Smashers, checks Abra, and also can switch into Porygon. You've pointed out how scary Agiligon is, but even Wall Porygon looks threatening to switch into (and can come in for free on Chinchou's Volt Switch.) You'd probably want to keep Eviolite Snubbull just to be a back-up check to Fletchling in case it has Overheat.

-On Mienfoo, run Stone Edge>Jump Kick. Basically the only reason to ever use Jump Kick is cause you're afraid of missing HJK, but the accuraacy is only barely higher and the move itself is noticeably weaker. Right now, your team finds it very difficult to switch into Larvesta and Ponyta (particularly when using Mangemite over Chinchou) because of the threat of U-turn and status. Running Stone Edge lets you lure in Larv to remove it from the game quickly.

-On Gastly, you might want to try using Shadow Ball over Hidden Power Fire. Ferro is clean 3HKOed after SR by Shadow Ball, and you have Substitute to dodge its Thunder Wave so it's really not a good answer to Gastly, HP Fire or not. Shadow Ball lets you do more damage to Pokemon like Archen and Drilbur that otherwise walled Gastly.

-Another option that looks good to me but you don't necessarily need to change is to use a full physical Croagunk over mixed. Without Drain Punch you're really easy to wear down, and since Vacuum Wave doesn't OHKO Pawniard it might not be missed too bad with Magnemite as a smasher check. Sludge Wave is also weak compared to Gunk Shot so it would be nice to have a stronger STAB.
Croagunk @ Eviolite
EVs: 52 HP / 188 Atk / 116 Def / 116 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off

That's all I have for this team, hope these changes are helpful! Stick around in LC!

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey bud, after playing with team a ton I made a few alterations that I think help the team play a little smoother. As you said, the team is really annoyed by Ferroseed so I chucked on Overheat > Thief on Snubbull (Heal Bell used to be there when you passed it to me). The other changes I liked were Life Orb > Juice, HP Fighting > HP Fire, and Shadow Ball > Disable. I always preferred a more wallbreaking, offensive line of Gastly on this team since without that it sort of struggles to find just a hard hitter sometimes. Also, like we discussed earlier, I think a change of Archen > Drilbur could do wonders for a couple reasons. The primary of these being it can still fill the same requirements of Rocks + Hazard Removal (this actually improves your crustle matchup since you cant spin on gourgeist). Additionally, this gives you something, anything, to discourage opposing Drilbur from clicking EQ which right now has approximately zero answers, especially if it's Scarf Drilbur (is that a thing?). Furthermore, I think this change might help with the abra problem, albeit very slightly, since from what I've noticed, more Abras are running EBall in recent times. Finally, Stone Edge > Jump Kick is nice since Volcarona is annoying. I'll leave you to figure out the sets and EV spreads since I only use teams that you pass me for this tier but ideologically I think these changes make sense.

P.S. Yes I called them by their grown up names, I don't know all of the baby names, sue me. Also, thanks for the shoutout :]

Yo, thanks for the quality rates Fiend and Omastar42 (stick to UU imo YABO :P) I'm definitely changing Chinchou out for Mag it definitely does pride a more solid Fletch answer and in my few test games with it does just seem more solid overall. Another change I'm definitely making is the change of Stone Edge over Jump Kick as that just makes a lot more sense, which I even realized when writing the RMT. I'm still on the fence about BJ vs Evio on Snubs as both have their pros and cons, so I'll probably just end up switching between the two until I decide which I prefer in the current iteration of the team. Also, tbh I had Shadow Ball on Gastly initially, but never found myself clicking it so I switched it to HP Fire after being frustrated once by Ferro. Point is, I hardly ever seem to slick that slot so I'm not too worried about it, but I'll try the switch back to Shadow Ball. And regarding the change from mixed to full physical on Croagunk, the reliable priority of vacuum wave has really been so crucial to victory on countless occasions, so I'm not gonna make that change, but it wasn't an awful suggestion either.

Now, on to the YABO suggestions. I really like Thief on Snubbull and feel that Overheat is far too inconsistent to warrant use, if anything, I'd run Fire Punch which does the exact same damage to stuff. Sub-Disable Gastly is one of my favorite things on the team, so I really would rather not change that, though I do understand why you'd want to switch to the standard life orb set as it is a solid set. Regarding Archen, while I do like the mon, I really don't think that double hazard duty is a good way to use it as you take up two moveslots and it really subtracts from Archen's ability to do what it's really good at. Also, while Scarf Drilbur can be a thing, it pretty much never is a thing and either way, at best, Archen speed ties with Dril, doesn't OHKO and gets dunked on by Rock Slide. Stone Edge on Foo is a good suggestion tho, so at least I'm doing something you suggested.

Once again though, thank you guys for the rates. I really appreciate the feedback.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
Hey dude... ole shrug here to help you with your team.

I notice you have a weakness to Abra. It's ok. However, there's a simple solution: Just Run Stunky. Pick a mon on your team and swap it out for Stunky. Gives you an increased check to abra, abra, and abra, three very big threats in the LC metagame. You can find a set in the LC underrated sets thread here:
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/insert-innovation-here-creative-movesets-2-0.3541614/

just look for the cool "dirty mike" set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)