A World Without Salamence, a Suspect RMT

I was originally going to post this eariler but since suspect is ending I think its more appropriate to showcase this Suspect Team now.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Introduction

I always hated Salamence (or Salabomb as I like to call it) with a passion. So I decided to try out Suspect. The initial team wasn't working too well. As it had suffered some major problems such as Dragon Dance Dragonite. This team isn't much different, but those weaknesses I had were less stinging and glaring. As I played more and more suspect battles I was interested to try out more things that I encountered. Such as Dragon Dance Cleric Dragonite, Or Subwave Jirachi. The team improved and improved until it came to the point where it functioned very well. It has beaten top dogs(I won't list them to avoid alt revealing, but they are very well known in Smogon.) and has succeed during the suspect period. So even as the team is put to rest (unless it becomes useful in another suspect period), I hope that you enjoy rating and reading my team and I do hope you could improve it even more if it ever rises again!

So without further ado:
-----------------

Infernape@Focus Sash
Evs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Nature: Naive

• Stealth Rock
  • U-Turn
  • Fire Blast
  • Close Combat

-------------------------
This Infernape is a silghtly customized lead as it uses U-Turn over Fake Out. Now you may be thinking "Isn't Fake Out better at breaking sashes?" and that is true. However, U-Turn had another purpose: to nail Azelf and Starmie leads. The latter because it was common early during suspect (from what I have seen). So I can U-Turn out on Starmie to a better check/counter. Denting it pretty decently. Other than U-Turn this is pretty simple. Its just the basic Stealth rock+U-turn/Dual Stab plan. To elaborate, I get off rocks up and a) Either U-Turn out to an appropiate pokemon or b) Hit hard with my dual STAB 120 Base Power attacks. If its a Taunt lead or a lead that this Infernape will lose against (Swampert for example) I will usually U-Turn right off the bat. If its an Anti-Lead such as Machamp. I'll show them whos boss and fuck them over with Fire Blast/Close Combat (or U-Turn out in the case of Starmie)

FAQ
------

This section will give out some notable questions to each pokemon.
========
a) Why did you choose Infernape as your lead?
----
I always liked Infernape as a lead over Heatran. It can hit hard in both sides of the attacking spectrum and is fast. The extra boost in speed allows fuckers like non scarf Jirachi and Celebi think twice before staying in on Infernape just to get rocks up. its useful secondary STAB is also quite useful as it allows to beat leads that Heatran only wishes to beat (Tyranitar specificity).
---
b) Are you considering anything regarding your Infernape lead?
-------
Nope, I just like it as it is. Suggestions are always beneficial through.
-------

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid

• Seed Flare
  • Earth Power
  • Hidden Power Ice
  • Growth

--------
People from #stark may have saw it coming. Thats right: It is Growthmin. I don't really know why this is rarely used. It is a fucking beast. The number one special wall, Bilssey is sprawling on the floor after a growth thanks to Seed Flare and its great secondary effect. So there is very few safe switch-ins on this thing. So you can kinda assume that this is the MVP of the team. Anyway, this is a pretty basic Growth Sweeping Shaymin with only one minor thing: Hidden Power Ice. It's the suprise factor that makes it so good. People will usually let dragons like Dragonite stay in on Shaymin, expecting for it to do nothing. Even with the lack of Hidden Power Fire to beat Scizor or Forretress you will still be able to 2HKO them with Earth Power after one Growth. Not to mention that Scizor is less common in suspect than in OU because of the prevalence of Fire Types such has Heatran and Infernape.
----
FAQ
----
a) Can you demonstrate the power of Shaymin after a Growth?
Of course, allow me to demonstrate the power of Growthmin:

+1 Seed Flare Vs:

Wishbliss before the -2 Special Defense Drop:34.5% - 40.5%
WishBilss after the Special Defense Drop:68.9% - 81.1%

So you have the ability to 2HKO Bilssey 40% of the time. Pretty high if you ask me.

Resttalk Rotom-A:87.2% - 103%
Standard(not...) Rotom-a:98.7% - 116.4%

Dead with SR.

Resttalk Gyarados:80.9% - 95.4%

Dead with SR. Same applies to all other Gyarados.

+1 Earth Power Vs

Choice Band Scizor:56% - 65.9%

2HKOed

Specially Defensive Forretress:44.1% - 52%

It can't do shit to you anyway so....

+1 Hidden Power Ice Vs:

Defensive Celebi:61.4% - 72.3%

TAKE THAT SALAD

b) Are you considering anything on this pokemon?

Nah, although suggestions is always useful to change my mind.
------

Dragonite@Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP / 252 Sp Def / 4 Speed
Nature: Careful

• Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Roost
  • Heal Bell

-------------------
During the early days of the team, when I had Flygon over Dragonite. I once encountered a 1 on 1 situation between Dragonite and my Rotom. I thought "Will-O-Wisp should do the trick" but then I was wrong: It heal belled. After a few turns, It outraged my last member(Rotom) and won the game. I was convinced after facing that Dragonite and decided to change Flygon into Dragonite. Boy was it a beast. It is so easy to get Dragon Dances under its belt and sweep with no worries of Status at all. It's just an amazing set. Anywho, this Dragonite is my primary counter for Special Attackers. Such as Heatran and the like. Dragonite has the ability to even set up on bulky waters when need be, as Ice Beam is unable to OHKO Dragonite and I can roost off the damage so Ice Beam can do even less damage from the likes of Vaporeon. Although there is the possibility of Roar...
-----
FAQ

a) Why did you choose this set over the standard Dragon Dance Dragonite?

Simple: Its Special Bulk and its ability to actually set up on weak Ice Beams. Do I need to say any more?

b) Are you considering any changes on your Dragonite?
I was considering to change the EV spread just to outspeed base 100s after a single DD. While also able to retain its bulk. I'm also considering Outrage over Dragon Claw
---------

Jirachi @ Leftovers
EVs: 164 HP / 168 Atk / 176 Speed
Nature: Jolly

• Substitute
  • Thunder Wave
  • Iron Head
  • Fire Punch

------------
Sub+Thunder Wave Jirachi has the ability to beat most teams. In other words: Once it gets a Substitute up, its pretty hard to take down. Once I get a Substitute, I can Thunder Wave to cripple a Sweeper or Iron Head to annoy foes even more. Thunder wave and Fire Punch means Magnezone won't enjoy switching into its set either. Jirachi is also my only Dragon resist, and my best defense against outragers such as Flygon and Dragonite. So Jirachi can Paralyze them or, in Flygon's chase. Iron Head them while they are locked into Outrage.
-------------------
FAQ
-----
Q) Why did you choose Jirachi?

Upon seeing the popularity of the Sub+Thunder Wave Jirachi set. I decided to try it out over Scizor. I chose Jirachi because of its balanced all around bulk and the ability to cripple sweepers while also supporting the rest of the team my spreading Paralysis: Something other Steels such as Scizor and Metagross cannot do.

Q) Are you considering anything regarding this Jirachi?

I'm pretty fine with Jirachi.

------

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid

• Surf
  • Ice Beam
  • Thunderbolt
  • Recover

-----
With Fire Types everywhere, I had to use Starmie. Particularly because it is my best Infernape check. This Starmie has the ability to deal major damage to teams thanks to its great coverage, power, and access to recover. Starmie is also my best check against other Life Orb Starmie which is arguably the biggest threat to the team. The great thing about Starmie is Natural Cure, meaning that Paralysis won't be too crippling to Starmie's success so it can also come back for later and wreak havoc. However, I will mostly have to use Starmie wisely and save it for late game most of the time(I know LOmie is used for Late Game anyway but there were some occasional consequences when not using Starmie late-game, and this wasn't the first time it happened...) . Because if Starmie dies, Special Mixape will kill me.
------
FAQ
------

Q) To what extent is Starmie important for your team over other waters like Suicune?

Very Important, This Starmie is my best and only chance against some of suspects biggest threats such as Infernape. Because unlike Suicune, Starmie has the ability to outspeed Infernape and killing without taking heavy damage from Grass Knot like Infernape does.

Q) Are you considering anything on this Starmie?

I am considering the possibility of Life Orb Rapid Spin to clear down rocks for other members of the team, but I like Starmie as it is.
-------

Rotom@Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Nature: Bold

• Thunderbolt
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Rest
  • Sleep Talk

------------
This Rotom is a staple on all of my teams and this is no exception. This Rotom is my Number 1 counter to physical threats such as Scizor, Metagross, and especially Gyarados. Should it take a big hit, it can rest off the damage easily. With Will-O-Wisp, Tyranitar and other physical sweepers will be thinking twice on switching into this set. Although once they see leftovers, they will usually switch in Heatran and get the boost. This is why I am running Thunderbolt, even though other Rotoms are a bugger. Rotom pairs decently with Jirachi. As it gets rid of Tyranitar while Rotom gets rid of the bulky waters that can wall Jirachi. Actually it has good synergy all-around with most of the team.
----------------
FAQ

----------------

Q) Are you considering any changes on this Rotom?

I might consider Shadow Ball over Thunderbolt, even if Heatran is a bugger.
-----
Conclusion
------
I enjoyed everything about this team. I enjoyed making it and the same goes for the RMT as well, and I do hope you like it also. (This is my longest RMT yet), Thank you for reading all this way otherwise :).
------------
Threat List

Defensive Threats
-------
Bilssey: The majority of my team bar Rotom has the ability to beat it. No worries here.
Bronzong: I rarely ever actually see these things but Rotom can wall it. If its used as a lead then nape has no problems disposing it
Celebi: Infernape beats out leads and most Celebi variants in general, Dragonite can set up on it. Jirachi also does fairly well against it.
Cresselia: I rarely ever see this thing, Jirachi can beat it quite well. Dragonite sets up on all but the Calm Mind variant.
Dusknoir: Shaymin sets up on it and Seed Flares it to hell. Provided Infernape, provided he is actually alive, also does well too. Just like Cresselia, I rarely have to worry about it at all.
Forretress: If its an lead, Infernape can set up on it. If its not in the lead position, Jirachi can do well, and Shaymin can set up on it. Rotom can also come in and block Rapid Spin
Gilscor: Starmie and Shaymin handles Gilscor very well.
Gyarados: Rotom can come in on defensive variants and thunderbolt it to hell. Shaymin can also do decently.
Hippodown: Starmie and Shaymin can take care of it quite well. Much like Gilscor, not a threat at all.
Rotom-a: Shaymin handles the resttalk set very well. Dragonite has no problems setting up on it, either.
Skarmory: Rotom-a can beat it easily, Starmie can thunderbolt, and Infernape can Fire Blast it provided it is alive.
Snorlaxe: This can actually be a little tough. Although I do rarely see it. If I encounter Lax, Jirachi will be my Primary Check. Dragonite can also handle it quite decently.
Suicune: Crocune will have major problems trying to get past Shaymin. The rare shuffle sets can be taken care of by Starmie and Rotom.
Swampert: "Shaymin", although if its used as a lead I will usually get rocks up and U-Turn out. As Infernape will have no hopes of winning.
Tyranitar: Defensive variants are quite rare but should I encounter them in suspect Shaymin and Jirachi will be my primary counters. Infernape can also do well.
Vaporeon: As with Suicune, Shaymin is the bane of Vaporeon. Hidden Power Electric-less versions of Vaporeon can also be taken care of by Starmie.
Zapdos: This thing can be a bugger to my team. Dragonite can set up on defensive Zapdos and Subroost. Shaymin can take on the Subroost sets decently as it can always cure off Toxic later on thanks to Natural Cure.
-----
Offensive Threats
----
Aerodactyl(Too lazy to find the sprite :p): Since Aero is almost always used as a lead I'll U-turn out expecting it to taunt then switch to an appropiate counter. (Preferably Rotom)
Azelf: Since its almost always used as a lead I'll U-Turn out then switch out to Starmie or Rotom. Thank god Nasty Plot is rare through because it utterly fucks me over.
Breloom: If its a spore puncher, Rotom can wall it quite well. Subseeders are occasionally a bugger. I'll usually send out Jirachi as soon as it subs then follow up with Fire Punch as I'm pretty sure Jirachi can take a Focus Punch.
Empoleon: Rare, but Agility variants can fuck me up sometimes. Starmie is generally my best bet. Shaymin can take on Grass Knot+Surf Variants decently.
Gengar: asdf I hate this thing, Dragonite can take a few Shadow balls and follow up with a Dragon Claw provided it gets a few DDs under its belt. Or stall its LO out with roost but yeah nothing much can take it on.
Gyarados: This is the reason why I carry Rotom on almost everyteam, Choice Band variants can be beaten by Starmie and Shaymin.
Heatran: Dragonite and Starmie generally, prediction beats the scarf set.
Infernape: Starmie is my primary counter on this (BAN ME PLEASE), If starmie dies Specially based mixape can screw me up.
Jolteon: eh, abit of a bugger. Shaymin can do well.
Kingdra: Dragon Dance variants can be stopped by Rotom and Shaymin, Rain Variants can also be handled occasionaly by Shaymin, and if it DM's it will be forced to switch out.
Lucario: Shaymin and Jirachi can outspeed and threaten it with Earth Power and Fire Punch respectively.
Machamp: Everyone hates Machamp, Lead variants in particular. Infernape gets off SR then I switch in rotom. So generally I have to rely on prediction to beat this thing.
Magnezone: Prediction beats scarf variants, and Shaymin can take on most other variants well. As can Infernape
Metagross: Leads get beaten by Infernape and offensive metagross are beaten by Rotom.
Scizor: "Rotom"
STARMIE: Life Orb mie is the number one threat. Jirachi is really my best bet, and if I get lucky and Ice Beam rolls min damage then shaymin can kill it and Starmie can speed tie. Other variants on the other hand aren't as dangerous.
Suicune: "Shaymin"... since I'm pretty sure it can take LO-less +1 Ice Beam.
Tyranitar: Prediction beats the choice variants but Dragon Dance can actually be a bit annoying. I guess Shaymin can take it on.
Weavile: "Jirachi" and "Infernape" are good friends.
Zapdos: thank god offensive variants are rare. Because they are annoying and I really don't have much other than dragonite and starmie to stop it. Agility Zapdos is the biggest of those.
------

The team one last time
------

|.|
|.|
|.|
|.|
|.|

This team looks pretty good, but once Starmie is gone (ttar, scarf scizor, etc.) specially based mixape runs rampant through your time. Mixape ohkos your dnite after rocks a small percentage of the time, but after SS or other taking repeated other attacks, it can't take hp ice anymore. i would run a offensive cm cune over your current starmie set. it helps out a lot with gyarados as well as weakening the opposing team early game. its also not pursuit bait which is obv a plus. i cant really think of anything else without effecting this teams synergy, so ya. gl with the team, hope my suggestion helped a little.

Thanks for the suggestion Toweile, I have been considering Suicune way back but then I just found Starmie better. Not being Pursuit Bait is a plus although I still do not like the potential risk of letting Suicune taking a large amount of damage from grass knot.

kd24 spoke to me on IRC yesterday regarding my team and I decided to give Choice scarf Rotom-w a try. As it acts as a pretty useful revenge killer against some of those offensive threats. Particularly Starmie.

Against Outrage >> Dragon Claw. Sure you might get more power, but once you use it once, almost any steel can wall you from there. Skarm is a usual using the free turns to set up spikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)