SM OU A (hopefully) decent balance team

Introduction

I am a mid-tier player, currently sitting at around 1750s. After countless hours of experimenting, I have ended up with this team. It is my most successful team by far, and I hope it is of help to others.

Teambuilding Process

Celesteela is just such a wonderful wall that is able to pester many common attackers.

Toxapex and Celesteela is an extremely strong defensive core, capable of walling almost everything bar electric types. Toxapex is curently one of the best walls in the game, completely putting a stop to a ridiculous number of attackers.

To complete my defensive core, I selected Landorus-Therian.

Next, I selected Mawile for my fourth pokemon. This is my main wall breaker, and my only hope at beating stall.

Kartana has taken the place for my scarfer on this team, allowing me to outspeed threats.

Finally, I have selected Mew as my special sweeper.

The Team

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Celesteela is able to wall a large number of Pokemon. With dugtrio gone, Lele has risen considerably in usage, and Celesteela is able to quite reliably switch in on Lele. Its gift in being the heaviest Pokemon gives it access to a base 120 Heavy Slam, able to threaten out fairy types while chunking neutrals. Leech seed is its only recovery, and allows it to chip the opposing Pokemon. Protect allows Celesteela to further its recovery, as leech seed and lefties by itself is often not enough, while also allowing you to scout choiced pokemon. Flamethrower is the final move of choice, deterring grass types from switching in on your leech seeds, so you are not set up fodder for Ferrothorn and Kartana.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex is OU's ultimate wall. I ran the standard set. Its access to both regenerator and recover makes it almost impossible to bring down. It checks many threats that would otherwise obliterate its teammates, including Keldeo, Greninja, Volcarona etc. Toxic spikes enable it to wear down the opposing pokemon, like Tangrowth etc. This complements Celesteela well, as it can eat up the fire attacks directed at Celesteela, while Celesteela can wall the opposing ground attacker, with the exception of Zygarde.

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

For my third defensive mon, I have selected Landorus-T. I decided to select Landorus because of how easily is it able to set up Stealth Rocks, which is invaluable to the team. Thus, I selected Landorus over Tangrowth or Venusaur-Mega. However, Toxapex and Celesteela gets destroyed by electric types, and so a yache berry is attached to Landorus. This can often kill many unsuspecting Tapu Kokos. Landorus simultaneously also deals with Zygarde and 2HKOs it with HP ice. U-turn provides momentum into Mawile and Kartana who can threaten out the opposing Pokemon.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Atk / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

The ultimate wallbreaker. With the ban of arena trap, Mawile-Mega is extremely hard to deal with on stall teams. Mawile-Mega hits everything for a ridiculous amount of damage. SD allows it to plough through stall teams with ease. Play rough is your go to move of choice, as it allows you to almost OHKO everything that isnt resisted. The given speed EVs is to outspeed Celesteela, and tank a few hits, as it has decent defensive stats combined with its typing. Sucker punch is mandatory, as it provides a strong priority against other attackers. Against stall, use it carefully as once it is gone it is very difficult to beat. Personally, I prefer Hyper cutter pre-Mega evolution as defensive Landorus is a common switch in to this monster; Hyper cutter allows it to bypass intimidate, while intimidate allows it to Mega evolve more safely against physical attackers.

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Aerial Ace

I have selected Kartana as my scarfer. This team is extremely weak to Swampert-Mega under rain, and Kartana is able to outspeed and kill adamant Swampert in the rain. Leaf blade is Kartana's strongest attack, able to hit neutrals hard. Smart strike allows Kartana to hit some flying types as well as dragons. Sacred Sword allows Kartana to dent steel types on predicted switches. Finally, Aerial ace is just there, able to revenge kill a +1 Volcarona after it has taken rocks dmg.. It can be swapped out for Defog. Kartana is used to revenge kill threats, or sweep the enemy team after the steels are weakened.

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish

Finally, I needed a special attacker. At first, Tapu Lele was my first choice. However, soon I realised it wasn't fast enough to suit my needs,and I did not want another choice-locked pokemon. Most of the time it could be easily revenge killed. At the same time, I required a psychic type to break through Toxapex and Venusaur, and so Offensive Mew came too mind. I chose Mew over Latios as it breaks through steels and sweeps more easily, and is able to set up terrain by itself.

Almost always, people will mistake this with the defensive mew set, allowing you to set up, as it is also tanky enough to eat a hit. Genesis Supernova is unique in that it provides Psychic terrain, which means it cannot be revenge killed via priority, allowing you to outspeed everything after a Rock Polish. Timid allows you to outspeed Jolly Landorus, while ensuring a speed tie with Zard-Y. Modest may also be used. I have selected Aura sphere over fire blast as it is able to hit pesky Greninjas, while hitting Tyranitar and Heatran. It is still able to hit steel types hard.

Threats:

Threat level: 10
Once Landorus is gone, Specs Koko is able to obliterate the team by clicking Thunderbolt. Always click protect on Celesteela to scout the move/set. Try not to let this in easily, by attacking directly when you think it will come in, e.g. Heavy Slamming instead of Leech seeding.

Threat level:8
With dugtrio gone, Heatran is incredibly versatile. Taunt Earth power is able to demolish toxapex, while able to switch in on Mawile. Toxapex should however, be able to severely weaken this mon, and stealth rocks are able to wear it down considerably faster. If its Groundium, it becomes significantly harder, but Landorus is able to tank a Magma storm if need be.

Threat level: 7
SG Mage is able to demolish this team, but the Yache berry can come in to save the day. AV Magearna is difficult for this team to break through, as it is able to completely wall out Mew, while providing (almost) free volt switches for its teammates.

Threat level: 7
Celesteela should be able to reliably wall this mon, but it is able to OHKO with +2 Close Combat after rocks, and when paired with a Magnezone, it becomes very hard to stop. Constantly apply Stealth rock pressure to cripple this thing.

Threat level: 6
The annoying bug. Other than Chansey, nothing can wall this bug. Toxapex should be able to deal with it if its not Z-Psychium, which you will have to play around in order to have a chance against this thing. Constantly apply Stealth rock pressure to cripple this thing. If you really hate this thing, run a Payapa berry on Toxapex.

Archetype Matchups:
Hyper offense: As always, very difficult to deal with when using balance. Attempt to sweep with Mew and Kartana, and use Mawile to trade.

Balance: Skill match up, and team dependent. If they have Koko and KyuB core, good luck. Use the Yache berry wisely. Kart is able to threaten out KyuB, but playing around Koko is very important.

Stall: Stall is rarely played, as it is incredibly difficult to play now with dugtrio banned. Use Mega Mawile carefully, and it should be a free win.

Rain: Rain is not too hard to deal with, as Celesteela can tank 2 waterfalls, and Kart can check it easily. Mew is often able to sweep, by setting up on the Pelipper after Swampert and Kingdra have been chipped.

Trick room: Often not too hard to deal with. Crawdaunt is the main threat, able to OHKO everything at +2 with knock and crabhammer. Kartana becomes a dead weight most of the time.

Veil: Veil is not as common anymore, as there are quite a few counter measures now. If against veil, lead Celesteela or Kartana. Celesteela OHKOs Alolan-Ninetales after veil, while Kartana often threatens it out, and you can just leaf blade.

Webs: Webs can be very annoying, but fortunately it is not common. Mew can often sweep once mimikyu is gone. Celesteela can deal with pinsir.

Conclusion
I hope you enjoyed my RMT. The main star of this team is offensive Mew, as it is often underestimated, and is very capable of sweeping teams. Thank you for taking the time to read my first RMT.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

Kartana @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Psycho Cut

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Aura Sphere
- Nasty Plot
- Rock Polish

Last edited:
Hey dude, nice team.
Well, where's your remaining 4 EVs on Kartana? Even a minor EV like that one can make a huge difference.

I think, Kartana shouldn't be a scarf set. More appropriate and useful sets are Sub SD or just plain SD kartana. A +2 Kartana can OHKO a Heatran with Sacred Sword, so that gets rid of your threat. Since Kartana is very frail, being stuck to one move ain't a great thing for it. Replacing Aerial Ace with Night Slash can be effectively paired with Darkium Z to lure Zapdos in and OHKO it. Since Kartana is very frail, Focus Sash can be another option for it.

You could replace MMawile with MMedicham, since MMawile's speed makes it easily revenge killed. MMedicham on the other hand, can deal with Toxapex and other walls that your team struggles with. MMedicham has two really good priority moves that can easily revenge kill Tapu Koko which is a problem for your team. Bullet Punch and Fake Out. In addition to MMedicham's Pure Power ability, Fake Out's power is TREMENDOUS! On the other hand, MMawile's only priority move sucker punch isn't effective against Tapu Koko. MMedicham can deal with Magearna, Heatran, and Tapu Koko.

I just feel like Mew should have defog, since Kartana is a all-out-attacker and you don't have another great defogger.

I liked how you turned Mew into offensive as well!

Hey dude, nice team.
Well, where's your remaining 4 EVs on Kartana? Even a minor EV like that one can make a huge difference.

I think, Kartana shouldn't be a scarf set. More appropriate and useful sets are Sub SD or just plain SD kartana. A +2 Kartana can OHKO a Heatran with Sacred Sword, so that gets rid of your threat. Since Kartana is very frail, being stuck to one move ain't a great thing for it. Replacing Aerial Ace with Night Slash can be effectively paired with Darkium Z to lure Zapdos in and OHKO it. Since Kartana is very frail, Focus Sash can be another option for it.

You could replace MMawile with MMedicham, since MMawile's speed makes it easily revenge killed. MMedicham on the other hand, can deal with Toxapex and other walls that your team struggles with. MMedicham has two really good priority moves that can easily revenge kill Tapu Koko which is a problem for your team. Bullet Punch and Fake Out. In addition to MMedicham's Pure Power ability, Fake Out's power is TREMENDOUS! On the other hand, MMawile's only priority move sucker punch isn't effective against Tapu Koko. MMedicham can deal with Magearna, Heatran, and Tapu Koko.

I just feel like Mew should have defog, since Kartana is a all-out-attacker and you don't have another great defogger.

Okay, I don’t think you even read the teambuilding process. Not having scarf kartana leaves him destroyed by setup sweepers and hyper offense. Also, Focus sash Kartana is a lower ladder meme.
Replacing Mawile makes this team lose to stall. I think you are also forgetting that mawile has the strongest priority move in the game, sucker punch.
Now, I will rate this team.
Cool team here dude.
I noticed you lack a defogger, a very important part of balance. I would change mews set to the defensive set, as you already have a cleaner in Mawile.
Next, to fix your Psychium Z volcarona weakness, change Black sludge toa payapa berry to weaken shattering psyche.
That’s I all I got for now.

Okay, I don’t think you even read the teambuilding process. Not having scarf kartana leaves him destroyed by setup sweepers and hyper offense. Also, Focus sash Kartana is a lower ladder meme.
Replacing Mawile makes this team lose to stall. I think you are also forgetting that mawile has the strongest priority move in the game, sucker punch.
Now, I will rate this team.
Cool team here dude.
I noticed you lack a defogger, a very important part of balance. I would change mews set to the defensive set, as you already have a cleaner in Mawile.
Next, to fix your Psychium Z volcarona weakness, change Black sludge toa payapa berry to weaken shattering psyche.
That’s I all I got for now.
Its really difficult for me to fit a defogger, as the only defogger I can fit is latios, but scarf latios just doesnt do the job. I often don't have a problem with hazards, but if they're too much I use defog on Kartana. I will try out Payapa berry, but often the black sludge recovery is very valuable. Thank you so much for the response :)

Hey dude, nice team.

Sorry, what ShadowTex1 said. Sorry about the Kartana EVs, but I have fixed them. Thanks :)

Its really difficult for me to fit a defogger, as the only defogger I can fit is latios, but scarf latios just doesnt do the job. I often don't have a problem with hazards, but if they're too much I use defog on Kartana. I will try out Payapa berry, but often the black sludge recovery is very valuable. Thank you so much for the response :)

Sorry, what ShadowTex1 said. Sorry about the Kartana EVs, but I have fixed them. Thanks :)
Mew is actually a pretty good defogger. Not only can it clean hazards well, your team supports it well through toxic spikes removal, secondary Tapu Lele answer, and a scarfer. Mew also relieves pressure from Landorus therian by providing a secondary ground answer. If you want to make this change, use the defog set on the analysis. You already have a sweeper in mawile and kartana.
Edit: Yeah you’re right. If I find anything else on this team, I will let you know.

Last edited:
Mew is actually a pretty good defogger. Not only can it clean hazards well, your team supports it well through toxic spikes removal, secondary Tapu Lele answer, and a scarfer. Mew also relieves pressure from Landorus therian by providing a secondary ground answer. If you want to make this change, use the defog set on the analysis. You already have a sweeper in mawile and kartana.
Without offensive Mew, I can't break through Venusaur and Toxapex while being a sweeper. I could replace Lando with mew, but that leaves a further gaping hole for specs Koko to wreak havoc, as well as Dragonium Zygarde. If I were to do that, I would have to use scarf Excadrill, Marowak or a bulky Grass type. I dislike Scarf Exca, as it is loses momentum easily against the opposing flying type, and iron head isn't the best secondary attack. Marowak is weak to rocks, and its just really not that good outside of trick room.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Psychic Terrain: 165-195 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mew doesnt eat lele hits too well, having to spam soft boiled, especially when switching into sr, and on the off-chance you mispredict into moonblast your Mew is stuffed (although thats just prediction). Both Mawile and Kartana threaten it out, but the main problem is switching into it. It just creates more holes than filling them up imo. My team isnt weak to SR, and although it is to spikes, spikes can be defogged by Kartana if extremely necessary. The main spikes setters often cannot do anything to Kartana anyways, being ferrothorn, choice locked gren and skarmory, even tho it loses some momentum. Psychic defog mew just allows heatran to switch in again as well.

Last edited:
Without offensive Mew, I can't break through Venusaur and Toxapex while being a sweeper. I could replace Lando with mew, but that leaves a further gaping hole for specs Koko to wreak havoc, as well as Dragonium Zygarde. If I were to do that, I would have to use scarf Excadrill, Marowak or a bulky Grass type. I dislike Scarf Exca, as it is loses momentum easily against the opposing flying type, and iron head isn't the best secondary attack. Marowak is weak to rocks, and its just really not that good outside of trick room.

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Mew in Psychic Terrain: 165-195 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Mew doesnt eat lele hits too well, having to spam soft boiled, especially when switching into sr, and on the off-chance you mispredict into moonblast. Mawile almost everything on my team threatens it out, but the main problem is switching into it. It just creates more holes than filling them up imo. My team isnt weak to SR, and although it is to spikes, spikes can be defogged by Kartana if extremely necessary. The main spikes setters often cannot do anything to Kartana anyways, being ferrothorn, choice locked gren and skarmory, even tho it loses some momentum. Psychic defog mew just allows heatran to switch in again as well.
flynium z lando helps u beat venu and pex, and honestly i would be worried about ur fire weakness with no super good switch in for zard y, so u should probably using scarf infernape over kart as it also helps u v magearna, which can be a problem, and make that mew defensive defog, u need a hazard remover

flynium z lando helps u beat venu and pex, and honestly i would be worried about ur fire weakness with no super good switch in for zard y, so u should probably using scarf infernape over kart as it also helps u v magearna, which can be a problem, and make that mew defensive defog, u need a hazard remover
Lando-T doesn't really sweep unless I go double dance, but I need a special attacker or Skarm will have a field day. I will try out scarf nape, but it seems a bit weak. For my ZardY problem, I have toxapex, where Zard Y can't do anything to calm toxapex... And as I have already said, this team isnt weak at all to stealth rocks, and common spike setters can be bypassed by defog on kart, as ferrothorn, skarm and choice locked gren can't touch kartana.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm rejecting your suggestions, but I am just trying to learn how to get better at this game, and sharing my opinion. Thank you :)

Last edited:
Thou hast offebded me, and hazard removal is most imoortant in this meta. If pex gets bopped, u have no backup, and lose to t spikes. Also, no offense but not really sure how this is around 1750s when this team is actually quite weak to koko gren HO which are both really common, and team doesbt really have anythibg that walls both. Any suggestions i give now completely change the team and u have made it clear no changes is good so ill move on i suppose

Thou hast offebded me, and hazard removal is most imoortant in this meta. If pex gets bopped, u have no backup, and lose to t spikes. Also, no offense but not really sure how this is around 1750s when this team is actually quite weak to koko gren HO which are both really common, and team doesbt really have anythibg that walls both. Any suggestions i give now completely change the team and u have made it clear no changes is good so ill move on i suppose
Uh, Gren has to flinch toxapex 3 times in a row in order to get past it. "If pex gets bopped" the reason pex is so common is because its difficult to 'bop', when it has access to regenerator and recover. Even if it does get bopped, there is one pokemon on my team that gets affected by tspikes. I have already stated my weakness to koko, and it is somewhat mitigated by figuring out the set and yache lando. If I were to use a bulky grass type, I would have to forgo stealth rocks, which I find is too invaluable. Also, as I have said, it is difficult to beat HO with balance, but Mew and kartana can sweep/reverse sweep sometimes.

I am open to change, but the changes made have said effects on the team, which create more holes than fixing them.

Hey, so after looking this team over, I noticed you have a nasty taunt heatran weakness. It walls mawile and celesteela, and gets a free magma storm. Landorus therian isn’t a great answer because it can’t switch in to well. Toxapex, your main fire resist, gets trapped by magma storm, taunted, and 3hkoed by earth power. A well played heatran 6 v 0s this team.
I would change scarf kartana to scarf latios as it compresses kartana and mews role into 1 slot. It can also check Manectric, while not too relevant, it also 6 v 0s this team. It can also defog.
Next, we need to fix the heatran weakness. The best switch ins to it are Keldeo, CB tyranitar, Zygarde, and Garchomp. Zygarde and Garchomp stack weaknesses with lando. I would add CM Keldeo as HO really struggles to switch in to hydro vortex.

Hey, so after looking this team over, I noticed you have a nasty taunt heatran weakness. It walls mawile and celesteela, and gets a free magma storm. Landorus therian isn’t a great answer because it can’t switch in to well. Toxapex, your main fire resist, gets trapped by magma storm, taunted, and 3hkoed by earth power. A well played heatran 6 v 0s this team.
I would change scarf kartana to scarf latios as it compresses kartana and mews role into 1 slot. It can also check Manectric, while not too relevant, it also 6 v 0s this team. It can also defog.
Next, we need to fix the heatran weakness. The best switch ins to it are Keldeo, CB tyranitar, Zygarde, and Garchomp. Zygarde and Garchomp stack weaknesses with lando. I would add CM Keldeo as HO really struggles to switch in to hydro vortex.
Ok, thanks. Will try them out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)