A Debate Forum (Yes, I know it's been requested before)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am aware that a Debate forum has been mentioned before. However, due to the recent events in my Debate Thread 2.0, I have decided that Smogon is in desperate need of a Debate forum. BattleStar, for instance, suggested that a Debate Section on Smogon could happen. In my opinion, it should. Reasons being:
  • It is impossible to have civilised debates in the current discussion forum, as many of the posters, including myself, are generally less serious than what should be intended for a proper debate.
  • People love a good debate. Not all, but some. A forum dedicated to debating would be idealistic for members like me. I see debating as a form of enjoyment.
  • Many members have already asked for a Debate thread. It's been asked in this forum, and it's been asked in the Debate Thread 2.0 by the likes of Scarfwynaut, xenu (although not directly), Faint, and DM, who are all prominent members of Smogon. If many people want it, maybe even the majority of Smogon, then I see no reason for this forum not to be created.
  • There is little reason, in my opinion, as to why there shouldn't be a forum such as this. Let's relate to the previous debate forum suggestion. I'm gonna answer what the modeators and others say, who are against the idea of a debate forum.
"We don't have too many serious discussions popping up as it is meaning the forum would probably be dead most of the time." I feel that the only reason we don't have as many serious discussions on the present forum is because most of the serious discussions are shunned away or are abused with less-serious posts. A Debate Forum would encourage a plethora of new serious topics to debate upon.

"Additionally, our a forum moderators will usually take care of any outstandingly troublesome posts in serious threads and giving them another forum to moderate sounds like an annoying added workload." Yes, any outstanding. But we want a proper serious debate here, not a half-hearted argument full of jokes. It may be annoying to moderate another forum, but it is beneficial for the community as a whole. And DM would probably be willing to be one of the moderators.

"We actually used to do this with two forums, Firebot (the silly public forum) and Cong (don't post here if you're under three full paragraphs). But the mods decided that firebot was a cesspool of everything wrong with the internet and cong was a cesspool of everything wrong with an ivy league college (note i dont know the actual motives). long story short they merged them into a forum, and it's been working out. i dont see them getting separated back out any time soon." I find this highly subjective. (Yes, I understand I'm being a little bit hypocritical in this answer) I don't have any experience of cong, but I assume that some members liked cong. The moderators may think that cong was too intellectual or dull, but others don't.

"While this vould work,I don't really see any advantages this has over the current system." The reasons I've given in my bullet points sum up the advantages over the current system.

"most of Smogon is unable to discuss serious matters to any substantial depth. While I would love to have some place to talk about politics and other subjects of gravity, it's just not feasible here." The community is growing, and with it comes a lot of highly intellectual, debate-willing members. I feel that a debate forum should at least be given a second chance. I have confidence it will work out.

I want to suggest/request something. I feel that a poll would be sufficient to decide if Smogon should have a Debating Forum/Sub Forum. This poll has to be accessible for everybody however. Moderators, although important and of high authority, should listen to the community by giving an all-permitted poll. Of course, this poll should have links to threads such as this one, the Debate Thread 2.0, and the previous Debate Forum request.

One more request though: After you have voiced your opinions on this suggestion, could you please not lock it straight afterwards, as to give myself and others time to counter your arguments.

O.K. I'm done.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
This is actually an issue being discussed among badgeholders currently. For those of you with that kind of access, it's here. They're discussing multiple approaches to dealing with the situation, so please hold tight until something is worked out.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Because I like follow up on these kinds of things:

A (Serious) tag has now been implemented into a forum, thanks to the a forum staff and other badgeholders. Please use them sparsely; most threads shouldn't have a need for the tag. As mingot said in the announcement, save the tag for meaty threads. I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)