A Change in UT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly they should just remove the "joined at" dates, and the amount of messages posted. I've seen too many times that old users will just completely disregard anything that someone says just because they joined this forum recently. I lurked this page for about 3 years till I finally made an account like 3 days ago. It just makes for biased discussions and honestly it's more toxic than a bunch of newbie posts.

Honestly they should just remove the "joined at" dates, and the amount of messages posted. I've seen too many times that old users will just completely disregard anything that someone says just because they joined this forum recently. I lurked this page for about 3 years till I finally made an account like 3 days ago. It just makes for biased discussions and honestly it's more toxic than a bunch of newbie posts.
To an extent, this is true. However, youre a minority. The majority of new accounts are people that maybe saw a poorly written article on ign about EV training and so they looked it up and stumbled onto smogon. And most people with an old account are probably competitive pokemon veterans. However quite a few are probably pretty bad but like the community and so they go on pokemon showdown and just talk to friends theyve made over the years about whether or not blaziken is cooler than charizard. Either way it doesnt matter, most likely people will just disregard stupid posts rather than look at your join date and then subsequently choose to ignore it.

It shouldnt actually matter

But this isn't what the topic is about - it's about upping the quality of posting on the forum. I mean, sure, if you want to remove the 'join date' thing then that's a valid argument - but it's a different argument. The focus of this thread (in my interpretation) is solely about being a little more thoughtful with out posts, regardless of when you joined. I'm sure there are new users that have absolutely valid opinions - and I'm sure there are older users who are a little less informed. Not to mention a whole bunch somewhere in the middle, with varying degrees of understanding of the game.

Honestly, I think this 'prejudice' against new users doesn't really exist. I know when I joined, I never felt this way. It possibly has something to do with this thread putting pressure on users to increase post-quality which would, more likely, impact newer users more than old. But honestly, when this thread asks for higher quality posts, I don't think it's asking everyone to be pokemon masterminds; it's more about not posting one-liners, making a post that contributes to the overall thread; mainly the generally logical stuff. I know there were a few threads (See: Item Clause) that were discarded in part because of philosophy, but if your concerned about smogon philosophy, I suggest you lurk a bit more and find out why we do things the way we do. We don't do things because of 'tradition' - there is always a rationale for our policies. If you doubt smogon policy, then first you need to understand it (and the rationale behind it) before constructing your own criticisms.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The thread is derailing from its intended purpose, as well as nothing much being gained atm, so im locking this for the time being. If this does get unlocked, then please remember to stay on topic etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)