9th Generation of Video Game Consoles

What are you going with?

• Total voters

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Live Smogon video games chat: #video-games on https://discord.gg/smogon

You can change your vote in the poll whenever...a lot of stuff still hasn't been announced so your opinion might change.

Assuming we can trust Sony and Microsoft, the 9th generation of consoles is coming out at the end of this year. June is about to start so we are reaching E3 season (just no E3 this year). The consoles so far are the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5. There are rumors that there will be a cheaper Xbox Series S model too.
Nintendo is so out of sync with the other two consoles that they released two consoles in the same generation. For reference the Dreamcast, which is one of the earliest entrances into a generation I can think of, would be dead before the PS5 and XSX come out if had the same lifespan and released the day the Switch came out. If you look further back than that there was an example of a company releasing two consoles in the same generation with SNK and the Neo Geo and Neo Geo CD, which is pretty similar to Nintendo's jump from Wii U to Switch. We are probably going to be seeing the Switch until possibly even around halfway into the 9th Generation though, so it will probably relevant to this thread in the context of the PS5 and XSX in a lot of places. If you disagree you can let me know why in this thread, I guess.
The only really complete picture that we have on both sides so far is the specs:
BOLD = better... a good source for this type of stuff in general is Digital Foundry
PlayStation 5​
Xbox Series X​
Why​
Optical Drive​
4K UHD Blu-Ray​
4K UHD Blu-Ray​
Same​
External Storage​
USB HDD Support​
USB HDD Support​
Same​
RAM​
16GB GDDR6 RAM (256-bit)​
16 GB GDDR6 RAM​
Same​
Memory Bandwidth​
448GB/s
10GB at 560GB/s, 6GB at 335GB/s
PS5 requires less development effort, XSX is better if taken advantage of​
CPU​
8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz with SMT (variable frequency)​
8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz (3.6GHz with SMT)
XSX always wins​
GPU​
10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)​
12 TFLOPs, 52 CUs at 1.825GHz
PS5 can be slightly better in extreme circumstances but something else has to give since it has to boost to get there​
GPU Architecture​
Custom RDNA 2​
Custom RDNA 2
XSX has more features confirmed​
Internal Storage​
Custom 825GB SSD​
1TB Custom NVMe SSD
1TB>825GB​
IO Throughput​
5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)
2.4GB/s (Raw), 4.8GB/s (Compressed)​
Faster​
Expandable Storage​
NVMe SSD Slot​
1TB Expansion Card​
It's hard to say...PS5 (best case scenario, we don't know how it really works yet) depends on what other companies do, XSX depends on what Microsoft/partners do. They could end up being about the same if Sony has to approve SSDs.​
Aside from that we also know what the Xbox Series X looks like and what the PS5 controller (DualSense) looks like.

Backwards compatibility is confirmed for both. Xbox Series X supports basically every Xbox One game and every backwards compatible game on Xbox One which includes most 360 games and some original Xbox games. Sony plans for the PlayStation 5 to support all PS4 games but it will almost certainly not support as many PS4 games as the XSX will support Xbox One games.

As for games we don't know a lot yet. The biggest games confirmed for Xbox are Halo Infinite and Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II. On PS5 the biggest game is Godfall so far.

If you aren't caught up with the reveals yet these are the major ones:
Xbox Series X and Senua’s Saga: Hellblade II reveal at TGA 2019
Godfall for PS5 reveal at TGA 2019
PS5 logo reveal at CES 2020
"The Road to PS5" talk for developers that revealed the PS5 specs and explained them
Inside Xbox Presents First Look Xbox Series X Gameplay
Unreal Engine 5 tech demo running on a PS5

On Thursday, June 4th, Sony will have an hour+ long "The Future of Gaming" stream that will focus on 2020 games: I and probably a bunch of other people will most likely be discussing it on the Smogon Discord as it happens. I'm expecting it to be underwhelming like the First Look Xbox Series X Gameplay thing was, since that was also 2020 games only. This one might show more gameplay though since it is so long.

In this thread predict stuff, react to stuff, discuss stuff, explain your vote in the poll possibly.....

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm a simple man. I see Gearbox logo, I close the window.

Seriously though really not looking forward to games drying up for another 2-3 year period as devs adjust to new consoles (as evidenced by usual lack of launch titles here). Just stop making consoles please.

Are you hyped for overpriced hardware that you'll be able to play at best middling games on (if any) for the next few years? No?

See also the launch of the Switch and PS4.

The lack of gameplay in the trailers for the games isn't helping.

Even if that didn't bother you (and it fucking should), the XSX takes up the space of a small fridge and the PS5 controller looks like a Ouya controller.

In other words, shut up and be excited for new product and then buy new product.

Arhops

On Thursday, June 4th, Sony will have an hour+ long "The Future of Gaming" stream that will focus on 2020 games: https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1266384121460191234
Never mind:
As usual at this point Sony changed plans. Protesting had already been going on for a couple days when they announced the stream so I'm assuming something else happened. I'm guessing there was some problem getting stuff ready or some conflict in the leadership at Sony about what the plan is and they used this as a nice excuse to delay. Either way not a good look imo... We also saw this earlier this year when they were the only ones dropping out of some gaming conventions and they were blaming the coronavirus (and we basically never saw what they said they would show).

really hope ps5 has good backwards compatibility, would give me a reason to get a launch one since im pretty sure my ailing ps4 is on its way to the grave. although if the price is something ridiculous then i'll probably just wait and grab a (hopefully) discounted ps4 slim/pro. honestly kind of annoying to think about how the ps4 had no backwards comparability, i have a decent # of ps3 games that i'd like to go back to. guess i have to find a good used ps3 sometime.

idg why ppl complain about consoles or game releases, maybe i just spend forever on games but there's so much good stuff out there i never feel like i'm waiting for a new game to play.

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
idg why ppl complain about consoles or game releases, maybe i just spend forever on games but there's so much good stuff out there i never feel like i'm waiting for a new game to play.
New consoles are a problem if you're a fan of a series of games in particular... For example I bought a PS4 because I wanted to play the Legend of Heroes games, I will be very upset if they start releasing them for PS5 only. Same thing a few years ago with Pokemon/Professor Layton games when they started releasing for the 3DS. That time I just gave up on them, the 3DS seemed to have awful performance.

I just don't want to buy hardware for no reason, especially when the new console brings nothing in terms of new mechanics/gameplay, who cares about slightly better graphics?

As someone who prefers Nintendo, I'm aware they've been a generation behind since the Wii (and their handhelds used to be another generation behind that), but their games are fun. However, I wonder if Nintendo will continue to work with different models of Switch in addition to the current ones, considering that they ran out of stock pretty quickly last time I remember trying to order a Switch Lite last month.

I'm not particularly looking forward to PS5 or Series X because I'd rather build a PC from parts as my primary system, but I can see the appeal for those who're looking forward to the games on those. However, it doesn't help that building a high-end gaming PC can be more expensive than those two combined. What do you fellows think of the combo of "PC + Nintendo"?

New consoles are a problem if you're a fan of a series of games in particular... For example I bought a PS4 because I wanted to play the Legend of Heroes games, I will be very upset if they start releasing them for PS5 only. Same thing a few years ago with Pokemon/Professor Layton games when they started releasing for the 3DS. That time I just gave up on them, the 3DS seemed to have awful performance.

I just don't want to buy hardware for no reason, especially when the new console brings nothing in terms of new mechanics/gameplay, who cares about slightly better graphics?
I mean you aren’t buying hardware for no reason, the reason is that your favorite series is on that new console. That seems like a pretty valid reason to get a new console. I guess that’s frustrating if you’re only going to play that literal 1 game on the system, but that’s hardly the console’s fault if you don’t want to take advantage of anything else it has to offer.

I can only speak for Sony since that’s my console of choice but releasing 3 consoles over 14 years seems pretty reasonable to me. And I guess it sucks that you got burned by the 3ds performance, but I’d imagine that’s usually a pretty big selling point for new consoles. I can’t really see how waiting for new mechanics/gameplay from a new console makes sense, when does that ever happen? So don’t most console improvements have to do with performance? I guess someone more technically literate could explain how we are/aren’t getting ripped off in terms of specs or whatever but my casual perspective is that the ps4 I have can’t and won’t last forever so I’m happy to “upgrade” eventually. Idk, I just don’t really see or can’t really relate to the problem; if a new console isn’t worth it to you, then don’t buy it.

Arhops

What do you fellows think of the combo of "PC + Nintendo"?
If you are patient it is the best combo. There are some Sony games you will probably never play though, if you care about that.

Anyway the event happened (YouTube link). This is the YouTube playlist of all the trailers: also Youtube link.

As for the exclusive games...and my thoughts:
Horizon: Forbidden West: looks really similar to the PS4 one but I'm not sure if they showed the actual game in the trailer...looks a bit standalone expansionish. Didn't change anything that makes me want to play it
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales: also looks really similar to the PS4 one, but more colorful and you play as Miles Morales this time. I'm not sure how its gonna set itself apart...looks a bit standalone expansionish (even more than the new Horizon)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart: also looks really similar to the PS4 one. the parts where they go through a portal and load into a new area are impressive but the portals were only in the parts where you don't actually have control so I don't really get the point of them. It's like advertising how you fly around between planets in Mario Galaxy. The main gameplay still doesn't interest me
Demon's Souls: the base game is definitely good. Bluepoint games is also good so far. No date is kinda worrying but once it does come out if Bluepoint doesnt stray too far from Miyazaki's original vision I expect it to be probably the best PS5 game (in my opinion at least...)
Sackboy A Big Adventure: Little Big Planet 3D World. It 1000% won't be as good as Mario 3D World is though. Basically the new Knack if you ask me
Gran Turismo 7: should be good...looks extremely similar to the PS4 one but I'm guessing the number in the name means it will be more like the older ones in terms of content...maybe worth $60 again (this is a game that most interests me behind Demon's Souls)
Destruction AllStars: not sure what this actually is...there were guys walking on the road and cars crashing over and over but they didn't really explain the objective. Seems like a multiplayer arena type thing which doesn't really interest me. Don't think it has legs
Godfall: (again) looks like a F2P game (it is maybe?)... Don't see the appeal over other online loot games...doesn't look very impressive overall
Returnal: idk what this game is really. Some kind of 3rd person shooter, rogue like maybe. It doesn't look very cool to me... It's kinda cool to see the Resogun developer try something new though
Astro's Playroom: Astrobot not VR version. Doesn't seem My Style but a lot of people said the VR one was very good so this might be too
-
Project Athia: not exactly clear if its actually exclusive... it will also be on PC at least I'm guessing. However the trailer only showed the character moving forward and it said Square Enix is making it so I doubt we are seeing it any time soon

That is quite a bit of games (I think I got them all...) but they mostly seem kinda rushed/low budget/current-gen to me. The only game that seems really next-gen to me was Demon's Souls and I don't think they actually showed the game.

They also showed us the console which looks even less space-conscious than the new Xbox. You can put it on its side too apparently which seems like a bad idea to me with how the disc drive is at an angle. Overall I think the new Xbox design looks a lot better, and less weird in comparison. No price yet

Also for both consoles: RE8 looks pretty great. Hitman 3 too

Edit: Demon's Souls has screenshots and definitely does look next-gen...There's another screenshot in the Tweet thread. I guess its coming out sooner than I thought, then.

Last edited:

Arhops

On July 23rd at 9 AM PST the Xbox first party/exclusives (they should all be on PC too though) focused show is happening:
AFAIK Halo Infinite gameplay is the only thing confirmed so far. Forza 8 is definitely gonna be there too. There are also rumors about basically every Microsoft owned studio right now but the main ones are Playground Games (Forza Horizon devs) rebooting Fable and The Initiative (new studio made by Microsoft) rebooting Perfect Dark.

I heard somewhere that there will be some 3rd party games there too so the new Assassins Creed, Cyberpunk, Tales of Arise, and Elden Ring are all kinda likely to be here since Microsoft apparently has the marketing rights for those games.

Arhops

it happened: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0il2l-B_WwZADvZzZICZMX-jP8qf8RZf ... good thing to know is all of these will be on game pass

Halo Infinite: barely anything to go off of but it looks around as good as Halo 5 did but its open world this time. Gameplay looks like there isnt as much crazy movement stuff as in Halo 5 which i like...
Forza Motorsport: somehow not releasing this year but this is the longest dev cycle for a forza game as far as I know so it should be really good when it comes out in 2 years (no xbox one logo so it will be outside the 2 year promised window of xbox one games)...sucks that forza horizon is probably getting pushed back because of this though. It looked a lot more impressive than GT7 but it was just in-engine footage so its hard to say if it will be when it comes out
State of Decay 3: basically nothing to go off of but probably the only thing about this trailer that will be in the game is infected animals. It's probably gonna be more mmoish than earlier games since they said they were budget constrained before
Grounded: looks the same since its about to release. the trailer was cool/funny though
Avowed: seems like an Elder Scrolls clone from Obsidian which I support fully
Everwild: Still no gameplay but it looks a lot more next gen now
As Dusk Falls: the plot seems more interesting than most interactive movies...they didnt show how it plays but I doubt I'm down with it
Fable: nothing to go off of but the developer made Forza Horizon which is a highly good game so this will be highly good too I hope.
--
They didn't show anything for it but if you add Hellblade 2 and ignore the pack in tech demo for PS5 and that Square Enix game that will never release theres actually the same amount of console exclusive games announced now for both. More Sony games are dated, though.

I'm still team Xbox either way to play my old games enhanced but atm I'm down with halo, forza, avowed, and fable for Xbox and demon's souls and gt7 for PS5 so still not much reason for me to get a PS5...

Aside from all of that the new PSO2 expansion looks really cool

Anyways from here both consoles are probably having another event where they will maybe announce a couple more games and finally reveal what the consoles cost and probably show more features. Sony is rumored to show something in August...both consoles should release before November ends

If all the Xbox series X "exclusives" are going to be on PC anyway then I don't see the point.

Not that I'm a huge fan of Sony either, but I'm going with PS5 regardless.

I’m probably going to get an Xbox Series X after a year and a half to two years, like I did with the XBox One. The launch lineups look especially weak for both new consoles (Nintendo’s holiday lineup also looks barren), and I don’t see the point in plunking down $500 to play two or three games.

Reactions: BP
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-s-revealed-as-a-299-next-gen-console/1100-6481882/

Since Lockhart is real, I’m definitely going in this direction. At least I’m 99% sure. I don’t really give a damn about 4K, and I can always increase the memory with an external drive. If it plays all of the microsoft studios and third party games, why not? Still has ray tracing and all those bells and whistles afaik. I’ve never been one to get a launch console, I always wait a year or two until some good games pile up and the price drops, but at 300 that’s a really really tempting pricepoint.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)