5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

Does anybody know of a good PPRNG guide (I use a mac) for Gen 4? I've found only one (on Nugget Bridge), and it didn't go into the details at all of TID/SID abuse for obtaining stationary and roaming shinies for HGSS. Thanks in advance!

I have one other question. I restarted my White 2, and I'm going through the calibration process on PPRNG again. For some reason, I'm not getting results every time I do the Unova Link calibration method. In fact, I've yet to repeat my Vframe and Vcount, let alone Timer0. I'm using my new game's SID and TID, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does anybody know?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm in the B2/W2 Parameter Search window, doing the Unova Link calibration method. I've made sure my 3DS is synced up to an external clock, and I'm not pressing any buttons, and I've already made my save file in the game. So, I do 7 "Send and Receive Keys," note all of the initial arrow positions, and hit "search." I rarely even get one hit, and when I get more than one, when I do an 8th spin, I no longer have any results. I'm so confused; I don't think I ever had this issue when calibrating the first time on this White 2. My min and max parameters on the top of the window are:

Timer0- Min: 1000, Max: 11FF
Vcount- Min: 78, Max: 97
Vframe- Min: 0, Max F

However, I guess it's important to bring up that when I initially open the B2/W2 Parameter Search window, the min and max parameters at the top are:

Timer0- Min: 1580, Max: 177F
Vcount- Min: 98, Max: BF
Vframe- Min: 0, Max: F

I've tried searching for results with both of these parameters, and no luck :( Does anybody have any idea about what's going on/ how to fix it? Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Are you sure you're putting in the correct date and time (the time you start the game from the DS menu)? Your parameters don't change when you restart so you could use the ones you got before from calibration. I'd also check to make sure that your old parameters are within your search ranges. Maybe you're just not searching wide enough ranges.

Does anybody know of a good PPRNG guide (I use a mac) for Gen 4? I've found only one (on Nugget Bridge), and it didn't go into the details at all of TID/SID abuse for obtaining stationary and roaming shinies for HGSS. Thanks in advance!
Here's one for the Reporter, but the process should be the same (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_intro). Also, if you're still confused on how to convert that to PPRNG for 4th gen, the users here should be able to help :)

Are you sure you're putting in the correct date and time (the time you start the game from the DS menu)? Your parameters don't change when you restart so you could use the ones you got before from calibration. I'd also check to make sure that your old parameters are within your search ranges. Maybe you're just not searching wide enough ranges.

Here's one for the Reporter, but the process should be the same (http://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/dpphgss_rng_intro). Also, if you're still confused on how to convert that to PPRNG for 4th gen, the users here should be able to help :)
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Do you know what parameters I could enter for Vcount and Vframe that would encompass every (reasonable) possible value? I stupidly deleted my old parameters :(

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it! Do you know what parameters I could enter for Vcount and Vframe that would encompass every (reasonable) possible value? I stupidly deleted my old parameters :(
You're welcome :), but tbh, I don't use a 3ds or PPRNG so I'm not 100% sure XD. Based on what I've seen throughout this thread and the research thread, the typical values are within the range the PPRNG defaults to. In general, the first two digits of the Timer0 are 16, Vcount usually starts with A or B (i.e. AC or AD), and VFrame is usually about 8. So based on that the default ranges should be about right. Are you sure you're entering in all your info correctly (i.e. date, 24-hr based time, DS mac address, etc)? If it still doesn't work, you could always resort to the standard calibration method with IV ranges. You may have better results with that.

You mentioned that you sometimes get 2 results. Is there any way you can determine which one you got by inspection without having to do another spinner? Oh, and make sure you don't actually back out of the Unova Link menu as that would mess up your results.

You're welcome :), but tbh, I don't use a 3ds or PPRNG so I'm not 100% sure XD. Based on what I've seen throughout this thread and the research thread, the typical values are within the range the PPRNG defaults to. In general, the first two digits of the Timer0 are 16, Vcount usually starts with A or B (i.e. AC or AD), and VFrame is usually about 8. So based on that the default ranges should be about right. Are you sure you're entering in all your info correctly (i.e. date, 24-hr based time, DS mac address, etc)? If it still doesn't work, you could always resort to the standard calibration method with IV ranges. You may have better results with that.

You mentioned that you sometimes get 2 results. Is there any way you can determine which one you got by inspection without having to do another spinner? Oh, and make sure you don't actually back out of the Unova Link menu as that would mess up your results.
Yeah, all the info is definitely correct. MAC address, times, everything. I do remember my old Timer0, just not the Vcount and Vframe. I'm kicking myself for deleting them haha, but yeah the IV method might be what I have to do. I'm really confused about why I'm getting suck skewed results; this definitely never happened the first time I calibrated. I'm going to give it another go, fingers crossed!

I have one other question. I restarted my White 2, and I'm going through the calibration process on PPRNG again. For some reason, I'm not getting results every time I do the Unova Link calibration method. In fact, I've yet to repeat my Vframe and Vcount, let alone Timer0. I'm using my new game's SID and TID, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does anybody know?

EDIT: To clarify, I'm in the B2/W2 Parameter Search window, doing the Unova Link calibration method. I've made sure my 3DS is synced up to an external clock, and I'm not pressing any buttons, and I've already made my save file in the game. So, I do 7 "Send and Receive Keys," note all of the initial arrow positions, and hit "search." I rarely even get one hit, and when I get more than one, when I do an 8th spin, I no longer have any results. I'm so confused; I don't think I ever had this issue when calibrating the first time on this White 2. My min and max parameters on the top of the window are:

Timer0- Min: 1000, Max: 11FF
Vcount- Min: 78, Max: 97
Vframe- Min: 0, Max F

However, I guess it's important to bring up that when I initially open the B2/W2 Parameter Search window, the min and max parameters at the top are:

Timer0- Min: 1580, Max: 177F
Vcount- Min: 98, Max: BF
Vframe- Min: 0, Max: F

I've tried searching for results with both of these parameters, and no luck :( Does anybody have any idea about what's going on/ how to fix it? Many thanks in advance!
Are you synching your 3DS to the external timer every time?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Yeah, all the info is definitely correct. MAC address, times, everything. I do remember my old Timer0, just not the Vcount and Vframe. I'm kicking myself for deleting them haha, but yeah the IV method might be what I have to do. I'm really confused about why I'm getting suck skewed results; this definitely never happened the first time I calibrated. I'm going to give it another go, fingers crossed!
Hmm. Well, you could try making the VCount range a lot larger to cover more results. I've never seen a Vframe outside of those ranges. I don't get results all the time either with the IV method. It's probably just my imagination, but I try to go for say 15 seconds past the minute, I don't get results. When I hit A after 30 seconds though, I do. Those numbers are just made up, and it's probably coincidence haha, but I guess you could try hitting A at different seconds to see if that makes a difference (in case you're hitting A at 30 seconds each time for example). Good luck! :)

Hmm. Well, you could try making the VCount range a lot larger to cover more results. I've never seen a Vframe outside of those ranges. I don't get results all the time either with the IV method. It's probably just my imagination, but I try to go for say 15 seconds past the minute, I don't get results. When I hit A after 30 seconds though, I do. Those numbers are just made up, and it's probably coincidence haha, but I guess you could try hitting A at different seconds to see if that makes a difference (in case you're hitting A at 30 seconds each time for example). Good luck! :)
Thanks :) I really do think my big issue is range for all 3 categories. Do you know of the min and max values I should use for all of them to ensure I can hit my seed (I know my Timer0's general range, but I only remember that my Vcount and Vframe were a maximum of 2 characters, but I think at least one of them was only 1).

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks :) I really do think my big issue is range for all 3 categories. Do you know of the min and max values I should use for all of them to ensure I can hit my seed (I know my Timer0's general range, but I only remember that my Vcount and Vframe were a maximum of 2 characters, but I think at least one of them was only 1).
The defaults should be fine (as I think it's set to automatically fill in the right general range). Vframe would be the single digit one, and that 0 to F should be fine since it's usually about 8. You can try making the default Vcount larger (perhaps 98-CF). Timer0 is usually has 16 as the first two digits for a regular 3ds, but 18 for a 3ds xl. So again, assuming you're using a regular 3ds, the default should work for the Timer0. No guarantees though :)

Are you synching your 3DS to the external timer every time?
I have it so that, for example, when it hits 5pm on my computer it hits 5pm on my 3DS at essentially exactly the same time. Do I need to do something differently? This is probably the 60th or so run I've given it, and I still can't get it working :(

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
I have it so that, for example, when it hits 5pm on my computer it hits 5pm on my 3DS at essentially exactly the same time. Do I need to do something differently? This is probably the 60th or so run I've given it, and I still can't get it working :(
Have you tried adjusting what time you push A in the menu, or what time you put in the searcher? The 3ds is sometimes slow to respond, so you may be actually starting the game at a later time than you think. If you want, I can search some of the spins from one of your most recent tests in the Reporter. Just PM me your info if you're interested. AFAIK, the unova link calibrator works just fine in PPRNG though. The fact that you're getting the wrong thing (i.e. nothing) every time means that there is some common denominator between all the tests that are throwing it off. Did you do the same process last time you found your parameters?

Have you tried adjusting what time you push A in the menu, or what time you put in the searcher? The 3ds is sometimes slow to respond, so you may be actually starting the game at a later time than you think. If you want, I can search some of the spins from one of your most recent tests in the Reporter. Just PM me your info if you're interested. AFAIK, the unova link calibrator works just fine in PPRNG though. The fact that you're getting the wrong thing (i.e. nothing) every time means that there is some common denominator between all the tests that are throwing it off. Did you do the same process last time you found your parameters?
Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'll send you some spins soon. Yeah, I did a ton of different times, and my calibration went perfectly fine the first time I did it 6 months ago in PPRNG (and I think I did the same thing as this time).

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks, I really appreciate it! I'll send you some spins soon. Yeah, I did a ton of different times, and my calibration went perfectly fine the first time I did it 6 months ago in PPRNG (and I think I did the same thing as this time).
You're welcome :D Happy to help. Since you did the same thing last time we know it should work (the program wouldn't just randomly stop working). So that means that there must be some setting or info that wrong. But I would be happy to play around with it a little on my end.

Edit: btw, you're not SR'ing right? You have to go to the DS menu every time. Oh, and did you try flagging the Memory link box and then searching? I've read that can help sometimes.

Edit2: For those wondering, xyzsmith set his date back to Dec 2013 and resynched his clock to be more accurate. He was then able to (finally) get results that looked right.

Last edited:
quick question.
Do i have to redo my RNG Reporter if im trying to RNG in a new game?

e.g. previously calibrated black 1 but now want to RNG white 2

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
quick question.
Do i have to redo my RNG Reporter if im trying to RNG in a new game?

e.g. previously calibrated black 1 but now want to RNG white 2
You need to calibrate for each ds+game combo. So, yes, in your example you would need to recalibrate.

Info:

Using RNG Reporter v9.96.5 Beta with a Gameboy SP on a retail copy of Emerald.

Issue:

I am trying to manipulate my TID/SID as detailed in this guide for Ruby/Sapphire here: https://www.smogon.com/ingame/rng/rs_nonbredrng
Every time I try to do this, I end up with a seed that isn't detailed at all on the .csv file (I export with 3600 frames above and below the target to make sure I shouldn't be missing it) so I cannot calibrate.

Exact process:

I open RNG Reporter and on the main screen look for the desired IVs I want from my starting Pokemon. I set the starting seed (Hex) field to "0" and generate results using Method 1. I ended up finding an acceptable spread at frame 42466. As detailed above, I extract this to .txt and save it as a .csv file with 3600 frames above and below the target. I subtract 75 from the target frame for game creation which gives me an adjusted target frame of 42391. I place this in Eon Timer, start my game and the timer and soft reset and go through character creation. I wait at the line where he mentions that he wants to see me at his lab later and when the timer goes off, press A to begin the shrinking animation. Frame 42466 has a PID of EBC6 so I convert that to decimal so I know what the Trainer ID should be when I start the game, it should be 60358. What I actually ended up getting (most recently) was Trainer ID 27348 which should be a PID ending in 6AD4 which doesn't show up anywhere on my list.

Last edited:

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Extremely dumb question, I'm trying to learn how to RNG and it's going good so far. Learning a bit more each day but this might sound like a dumb question (actually it most likely is)

In the OP it stated that you cannot control your timer0 (mines goes from C7B to C7C; mostly C7C) so basically it'll all up to luck when you select your game (concerning timer0)? You won't know until the results tell you otherwise that you're in the wrong timer0? Am I even making sense to you guys? @_@

lol

Extremely dumb question, I'm trying to learn how to RNG and it's going good so far. Learning a bit more each day but this might sound like a dumb question (actually it most likely is)

In the OP it stated that you cannot control your timer0 (mines goes from C7B to C7C; mostly C7C) so basically it'll all up to luck when you select your game (concerning timer0)? You won't know until the results tell you otherwise that you're in the wrong timer0? Am I even making sense to you guys? @_@

lol
Well, your game could range from a few different timer0s, but it will most likely have one that you hit more times than others :)
It's just about calibrating it correctly and many times, so that you can see which one you should put into your profile when you search for a seed :)
If you have C7C as your main one, you should find a seed with that timer0 :)
And yeah, you won't know if you've hit your seed (timer0) until you catch the pokemon :)

Hello, Just started trying to rng Eevee (the DW one :p) in french White 2, though I can't seem to be able to get my parameters through RNG reporter (I'm on a 3DS :/)...

Is it normal ?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hello, Just started trying to rng Eevee (the DW one :p) in french White 2, though I can't seem to be able to get my parameters through RNG reporter (I'm on a 3DS :/)...

Is it normal ?
Are you using the IV method, or the spinner method to calibrate? I'd recommend using the IV method with a higher level Pokemon (40+), especially with the Reporter.

To quote Chiizu:

Have you done a Memory Link to a Black 1 or White 1 game on your current save game?
sometimes even if you haven't, you are able to find results if you configure your profile to say that you have done a memory link.

Are you sure you aren't pressing / holding any buttons after starting from the 3DS menu?

Are you sure that the date and time you have set in the search is the time that you launched the game from your 3DS menu?

Have you double-checked that your 3DS's MAC Address is entered correctly?

Are you soft-resetting from within the game?
You must start from the 3DS menu. Soft-resetting will not work (unlike Gen 4).

Also, you can try adjusting the time you push A at the 3ds menu if you are not getting results. Sometimes it seems like I get results when I push A at 30 seconds, but not at 15 (it's probably just in my head though). You can also try making the ranges larger, but odds are it's one of the things above.

Edit: I just made those numbers up for an example.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)