4th Gen OU Balanced RMT

Hey smogon, this is my first RMT here :)
Also, I've only been playing for a week or so; any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Changes are in bold.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Description: My lead. I originally led with suicide Azelf, but was getting tired of everything outspeeding me. I taunt foes likely to set up SR and then get my own rocks up. Then, I usually Rock Slide off of the 1HP left from focus sash, or switch out if I'm lucky to have some HP left. This guy usually doesn't last me, and I don't depend on him much, but he's been the most reliable in getting up SR.

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Payback
- Rapid Spin

Description: My rapid spinner and spikes setup. Also, a nice switch-in for some special attacks. This thing has taken out Rotom forms several times, those pesky bastards. With its already stellar physical defense, the Specially Defensive set stood out to me for two reasons: the first, my team is largely physically based, so having this helps to balance it out, and the second, why invest in already gigantic Defense if you can round them both out?

Tyranitar (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Crunch
- Pursuit- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam

Description: Lure MixTar to cover some of the weaknesses on my team and for some good offensive pairing with Machamp, as well as protection for some of Celebi's major threats. Usually, people aren't expecting this set and end up sending in a second Pokemon for me to take advantage and usually dispose of.

Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Spd

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Stone Edge

- DynamicPunch
- Payback

Description: Oh, Machamp. Confusion forces lots of switches, which plays hand in hand with the setup of my team. Also, Payback is useful against many switch-ins such as Gengar. The RestTalk set seemed to provide a lot of utility, but in the end Machamp was only taking one or two hits anyway. Instead, I decided to go with a Bulk Up set: Machamp provides good coverage and synergism for the rest of my team, taking heavy physical hits and also benefiting from the paralysis that Celebi can set up.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 224 SAtk / 32 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leaf Storm
- Recover
- Psychic

Description: Rounds out type coverage, gives me a SpA option, and provides support through Thunder Wave. Usually, my matches come down to this little guy here, and I win more often than not. The use of Psychic over other moves was again, a choice to help me cover more types and opt for a STAB move without the SpA decrease from Leaf Storm.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Spd / 252 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)

- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Trick

Description: I playtested every viable spinblocker, and Rotom-H has been the best option for me. Overheat provides much needed coverage against the likes of Scizor (also, it seems that many players end up not expecting Rotom to carry Overheat, which is strange), and Rotom-H can hold its own against some attackers. Dusknoir ended up stalling for a bit but never could hit back, while Gengar was always just short of a KO, leaving me with only 5 pokemon left.
As per Zeph/AlcadeiasX's suggestions, I decided on Choice Scarf Rotom. This gives me a much-needed revenge killer and also a counter to MixApe and SD Lucario.

I've broken pretty even with this team. At first, I had Roar Swampert, Perish Song Celebi, and DD Bulky Gyarados on my team, which did pretty well. In the end though, I kept on losing against MixApe and other such threats, so I made this build. The only thing that worries me are Pokemon that can come in and set up. I have to take them out quickly.. Usually though, I can predict the setup and hit them hard first before they have the chance.
Speaking of which, I feel that Suicune w/Roar would be a great asset to this team. Only problem is, that leaves me without a good lead. Any ideas?

Thanks for reading and taking your time to consider my first team :)

You still have a huge weakness to MixApe as to how i see it..and Suicune helps you counter Non-Hidden Power Grass MixApe so take out anything you feel is most threatened by MixApe i would suggest an offensive Calm Mind set so you get bonus points for countering Flygons and DNites as well..and speaking of MixApe i think you might consider him too..or even a Choice Band Infernape also, if i didn't know any better..your team is more on the defenses than offense.

I dun really have time now so..yeah.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You still have a huge weakness to MixApe as to how i see it..and Suicune helps you counter Non-Hidden Power Grass MixApe so take out anything you feel is most threatened by MixApe i would suggest an offensive Calm Mind set so you get bonus points for countering Flygons and DNites as well..and speaking of MixApe i think you might consider him too..or even a Choice Band Infernape also, if i didn't know any better..your team is more on the defenses than offense.

I dun really have time now so..yeah.
I don't know why you think Mixape would be running HP Grass when it gets access to Grass Knot. But okay.

@ the OP
Nice team you got going at the moment, but the glaring thing I see atm is you have no revenge killer.
Even though Aerodactyl is fast, its your lead and frail, so its very undependable that it'll still be around if something sets up on you.

Mixape and SD lucario also have a picnic on your team. A quick fix to this would be Changing the Rotom you have now to a standard scarf version. Not only does this give you a reliable check to the two pokemon that shread your team, It gives you the revenge killer I mentioned you lacking above.

overall good team although i would probably get the same pokemon with different nature.

celebi can be timid or modest, tyranitar could be a physical attacker (adamant nature)
take away super power & ice beam for earthquake and stone edge to take advantage of its awesome attack.

other than that, you got a great team

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I glanced over the sets very late into the morning last night and didn't take notice to the natures.

Use can also use Naive on your Tyranitar if you're gonna stay with the mixed set, that way you dont lose offensive prowess while keeping speed. But Hasty is okay.

Celebi can be timid or modest.

Rotom should be timid to outrun a few key threats like Azelf, Starmie, and a few others.

Thanks, changed the natures.
The reason I picked those two moves is so that I can trap common responses to TTar; in addition, it rounds out the coverage on my team. Took your suggestion, but used Ice Punch and Brick Break instead.

Lamppost

I put the milk in first
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well first off i am just wondering why theres so many 4th gen teams when the new metagame is going to be established in like 5 days.

I dont see why you have brick break either go superpower or stone edge there. Or change ice punch out for one of those

Zephyr

Life Stream
I liked the idea of the Mixtar, but if you're gonna make the switch to a Full physical tyranitar then you should probably use the following set.

Tyranitar@ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 244 Atk / 96 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Aqua Tail

This should prove a lot more of a hard hitter for your team than the Tar you are currently in possession of.

Zephyr

Life Stream
I like your choice.

And with that I still recommend a set much better then the one you currently have.
You should give the following set a try.

Tyranitar@ Expert Belt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower

If you dont greatly like that set, you can customize it to fit your liking better.

Naive is stupid on Tyranitar as reducing its SpDef is dumb when its main utility comes in switching into Zapdos, Scarf Rotom, Heatran etc.

Keep Pursuit on it as well so you can trap Scarf Rotom allowing you more opportunity to use Rapid Spin.

I run the same BaitTar for mine. Except I use Flamethrower over Ice Beam as it hits steel types without having to resort to superpower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)