2019 Music

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
No one made a 2018 thread last year and it was a brutal year so I wanted to make sure we didn't start off cursed again.

Albums from 2019 you're listening to? Excited about? Willing to bet will be trash? Have more than a few thoughts but wanna know yours.

<<insert joke about me being fantano and being the internets busiest music nerd>>

Although I didn't end up making a post here back in January :c, I thought it would be a nice time for a post as the year is coming to a close.
Out of all the releases this year (well the ones that actually came out, free JIK), the one i was most excited for was Kirk by Dababy. I'm a huge Dababy fan, and yet when I listened to Kirk I was extremely disappointed. It had literally 2/3 songs that were good or stood out to me and the whole album just felt like the same song on repeat which would be ok if the song was something that i really enjoyed but unfortunately it was not. Intro was an amazing introduction imo. It instantly introduces the listener to what the album will be, a standard Dababy album with a hard beat and Dababy's strong vocals whilst also maintaining a message about the loss of his father and his personal life. This would be perfect if he didnt instantly move on to talking about his money and his fame and how he started from the bottom on literally the second track, it makes you forget the intended message and it feels like you're just listening to a worse version of Baby On Baby because at least on that record he was somewhat consistent on the message he was giving out. The other song I felt really stood out or was an exceptionally good track is Gospel ft. Chance, Meek Mill and YK Osiris. This song is beautiful and suits the album extremely well. YK Osiris' vocals on this beat is absolutely perfect and the gospel/kanye type beat is super sweet. Meek was ok on it, it wasnt his best preformance but it wasnt bad per se. I personally dislike Chance's music but i must admit he killed it on this track. The beat really complements his voice and style of rapping. I would recommend Intro and Gospel to anyone but the other songs are a huge waste of time. Ok, now time for the real shit show. So, we got a Nicki Minaj and Dababy track called IPHONE. I have nothing against either of these artists but fucking hell this song sounds like a year 3 musical assembly they were forced to do and called it a song. Dababy's verse is so lazy and its repeated like 7 times, it just gets so boring. Nicki's verse starts so awfully i refuse to listen to it. It may just be the worst start to any verse on this album. After that, she has a decent flow and its listenable and towards the end of her verse she just does the same shit that she started with and it ruins the whole verse. All in all, this is by far the worst song on the album and could easily be one of Dababy's worst tracks. The next thing i want to talk about is TOES ft. Lil Baby, Moneybagg Yo. I have a huge problem with the beat. It doesnt drop. It's very boring and it has potential to be fire but it just doesnt reach that potential and seems pretty lazy. I love Lil Baby but I feel his feature added nothing to this track and was quite frankly a bit boring. But yeah, overall this album is NOT worth listening to by any means. You're better off listening to gospel, intro and maybe there he go, or an actually worthwhile album.

As for albums I really enjoyed this year, the first that comes to mind is ZUU by Denzel Curry but I also really enjoyed Psychodrama, The Lost Boy, Perfect 10, Anger Management, Ignorance is Bliss and We All Shine.

I'm super excited for the new Lil Tjay album dropping very soon and the supposed Juice WRLD album in December. Of course I'm also extremely excited for JIK from ye but lets be real, is it gonna drop? ty for reading this huge post and i hope you enjoyed reading c:

Edit: Thew new lil tjay SLAPS, i'd recommend it to everyone

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)