SM Ubers 2017 Halloween Special - Ubers Edition

Should Tapu Lele be BANNED from the OU tier?

• Total voters
ATG's Pokemon Science Inc. brings you a brand new team installment featuring special guest, "Halloween Comes 4 U." This Halloween season I bring you the Pokemon SM 2017 Halloween Team Series. Starting things out with my very unique, very exciting and absolutely broken Ubers team. For all of October, ATG has passed the sticks to "Halloween Comes 4 U" as he pilots these Halloween teams to the top of the ladder for all tiers, PU up through Ubers and even Monotype.

For the Ubers tier, Halloween Comes 4 U boasts an all-star line up with synergy so miraculous you'll be praying to Arceus-Ghost that Halloween never ends. Finally, I introduce to you, The 2017 Halloween Special Ft. The Boggyman

2017 Halloween Special Ft. The Boogeyman

Team Description

The Ubers teir is a saturated market in which Pokemon like Groudon, Arceus and Marshadow thrive on every single team above the 1100's. Sitting in the S and A+ ranks, these Pokemon have led players to believe that they are a must have if you want any chance at winning... Well today, AlexTheGreat VA has brought me, Halloween Comes 4 U, to inform everybody that the market is about to change! Deoxy's known as the Boogeyman where hes from will defy everything you THINK you know about dealing damage. Thriving under the bed's and in the closest's of small children, The Boogeyman grows stronger as their fear becomes greater. As October 31's nears, The Boogeyman is ready to come out :] Unfortunately, he's brought with him a team of devastating threats who come ready to consume your fear!

Team Preview
Monster Handler - Tapu Lele

Trick-or-Treat (Tapu Lele) @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonblast

The Boogeyman - Deoxys-Attack

Boggeyman (Deoxys-Attack) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 120 Atk / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Poltergeist - Mega Gengar

Poltergeist ;D (Gengar-Mega) (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Shadow Tag
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Hex

Dracula - Yveltal

Dracula (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Oblivion Wing
- Heat Wave

Tomb of Spirits - Aegishlash

Tomb of Spirits (Aegislash) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- King's Shield
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

Crypt Keeper - Arceus-Ground

Crypt Keeper (Arceus-Ground) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 180 Def / 88 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Judgment

How to Play
(1) Tape Lele - Equipped with Psychium Z. Lele is designed to be a hidden threat, bluffing the scarf as is most common in the ubers tier. Lele has a limited, but critical role on the team. Provide terrain for the Boogeyman, taunt Deoxys-speed and OHKO Groudon with Z-psychic. Moonblast into dark types like Yveltal or Arceus-dark often bring in Groudon at which point you can z-psychic to OHKO.

(2) Deoxys-Attack - With Life Orb, this Pokemon can OHKO a TON of threats in the uber's meta game. Any mon that doesn't resist and has no bulk will be OHKO in the terrain. For reference, a max spdef Arceus (252HP/252+SpDef) has over a 50% chance to OHKO in terrain after rocks. Outfitted with both physical and special coverage this Pokemon amasses an insane amount of kills each game. Ice beam is critical for the big dragon sweepers like Ray, Sala and Zygarde. The Speed investment allows you to outspeed pretty much the entire Ubers tier and give both special/physical attack investment. Since Ubers has a lot of bulk investment, you should out speed the entire tier (>135 base). ESpeed can be considered over SuperPower if you like.

(3) Mega Gengar - Gengar is very situational on this team. He either does his job perfectly, or can be offered as a sack. His main purpose is his trapping aspect of bulky, physical mons and out speeding Pokemon like Marshadow and YVeltal (in terrain). Substitute obviously gives you free damage or WOW if your opponent switches.

(4) Yveltal - In combination with The Boogeyman, these two are your primary source of kills. Boasting a mixed build with priority, Yveltal can take a kill against most threats, especially after some prior damage. Life Orb knock off is insanely strong and use of removing items is much needed in the Ubers meta. Heat wave is for Steel/fairy types and Scizor/ferrothorn. Max speed is really useful since a lot of threats are between 90-97 base speed and many players prefer bulk over speed. Can consider Naughty nature if you want more knock/sucker damage.

(5) Aegishlash - Originally selected for one reason... Wall Xernes. The max SpDef build is critical for living two super effective attacks after leftovers and protect (king's shield). Gyro ball with small attack investment has a really good chance to OHKO a +2 Spe Xernes after rocks. The ghost typing with steel allows you to counter Arceus-Normal (through some mind games), Marshadow (kill for kill), Mega Lucario and even act as a pivot to sponge attacks from Salamance, Rayquaza and other physical dragon types. Sub + Toxic can guarantee a toxic on mons like Groudon, Kyogre, Salamance, Zygarde when they switch in.

(6) Arceus-Ground - This is your crypt keeper. This pokemon has been added to the team solely out of necessity to counter the meta game of Groudon and Marshadow on every team. As Yveltal can 6-0 the team, this Arceus build has enough speed to out pace max speed yveltal in order to avoid flinches. This allows you to get up rocks or toxic and then recover off any damage. Rocks are critical to guarantee our own Yveltal and Deoxys get their kills. Judgement can OHKO Groudon if it has no bulk at all and will always 2HKO a max SPDef Groudon. Arceus is great as your primary lead, especially against Groundon and just click Judgement. Common switch-ins are Ray, Yveltal, Celesteela, at which point you can get up rocks.

Difficulty Rating

This Ubers 2017 Halloween Special Team is definitely unique within the Ubers tier. This makes it especially fun to play and ladder to the top. Although, the limited Pokemon options make the team very difficult in certain areas and easier in other areas. Fortunately, the well thought out builds and unique synergy allow the team to maintain its competitive nature. Due to the high influx of teams I must create before Halloween, I was only able to reach low 1400's before moving to the OU tier. As with all my teams, I have listed the overall difficulty rating below: The lack of typing means little to no switches can be made. Because of this, the Predictions and Mental Awareness are extremely high. Only Arceus and Aegishlash can be used as walls and so, most games are short and don't require high mental capacity.

1) Predictions: 5
2) Switches: 1
3) Mental Awareness: 5
4) Mental Capacity: 2
5) Overall: 3

Rating Scale – (1)Minimal (2)Low (3)Moderate (4)High (5)Maximal

2017 Halloween Special Ft. The Boogyman is created by ATG’s Pokemon Science Incorporated and piloted by "Halloween Comes 4 U"

Last edited:
How many teams have I seen the same. It's true that if there is a difference it's because of the Halloween event, I guess this is something based on that. I'm not much of a fan of using Lele + Deox-A, but the easy and abusive is usually successful. I like the simple detail of using that set in Lele, I have never seen it in Ubers before. Although perhaps the Terrain increases better, but that is each one. Carrying it can surprise you as well. Well, on the other hand, for my taste it looks weak to Lunala / POgre / DarkCeus / Yveltal or PDon Polish. Much spam to mons or common types. This team is what it has but I understand it is due to the special Halloween. All of that can be applied to a list of threats, but most are controllable. Obviously the Aegislash reason I imagine it is mostly Xerneas. Others like MLucario or Mence without EQ happen in the background. But I think it would give more balance a change by PDon and pass SR from GroundCeus. This can come in handy since it depends on a Defog user, that a Sticky match up is hateful. This way you also have something against POgre if only to cancel the rain. But with just that you can make a difference. The Core Gengar + Yveltal is good and will never cease to be interesting. One catches fairies and the other does the rest. Well, apart are help for the own Lunala or Marsh. What I wonder is about Sludge Bomb Gengar. I do not know if it's a mistake or you use it like that. I am aware that it is less powerful than Sludge Wave but has 30% over 10% although that small power difference (90-95%) is important. I understand that if you use it with an innovative Reflect Type set it only leaves Bomb as stab poison. You must be careful with Muk alola. Maybe not appreciated much but against these team is protagonist. Accounts with Arceus as a remedy and possibly another suggested replacement. In short, great team that I think you should try it more. I think it's fun and simple to move though. Well, I just hope to consider this and luck.

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I had a Arceus-Ground + Psy HO team back at the start of SM so I'll share some thoughts.

Aegislash doesn't work here, and neither does that Arceus-Ground set. The proof is in the pace of the game. You've tacked these two Pokemon on because you're using them as a reactive way to check Xerneas and P Don - your RMT text even confirms it. Problem is that's not how offense functions. Haphazardly mixing Pokemon with no defensive synergy (Deo-A / Lele) along with Pokemon with no offensive presence (Aegislash, that Arceus-Ground) is counterproductive. You're left with a team that grants the opponent strong openings, while also having an inadequate defensive backbone. Offense handles opposing offensive threats through proactive means - Taunt / limited setup ops, revenge killers, etc.

The fix here is pretty straightforward - some kind of proactive SR Primal Groudon set is used instead of Aegislash and Arceus-Ground is made offensive. This makes the team far less apprehensive about Primal Kyogre or Ho-Oh, which shred this team because easy in vs. Aegislash and that Arceus-Ground. Yveltal should be tailored so Xern gets no easy setup. With this structure most of what concerns you can be covered via set detailing. You can even extend one Pokemon from this structure and get something really funky, but I won't give away all the fun.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)