2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
that challenge from balotelli looks really nasty and also intentional.
i have to say, the guy is a complete idiot. that was pretty inexcusable.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Well there's a turn up for the books. Kevin Davies starts his first league game in ages. 4-5-1 against Newcastle today, 3pm kick-off. The fact that we only had 1 day's rest is a bit pathetic though.

Bogdan; Steinsson, Ream, Wheater, Ricketts; Eagles, Reo-coker, Pratley, Mark Davies, Petrov; Kevin Davies.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
this match is a victim of the crowded easter fixture list and it doesn't half show. Bolton just played two days ago, and we spent our Friday chasing shadows around the Liberty Stadium. There's just no energy out there.

edit: fuck me, spoke too soon. take a bow ben arfa, outstanding

Newcastle should totally end up in the top four, would love to seem them in CL next season.

I don't follow the league that much (aside from Aston Villa), but it's always fun to see them play.

We'll need that crucial victory over Stoke now.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Seems like Bolton played well and deserved something, but that performance from Newcastle shows their credentials. Always good when you can be average and still win games.

Seems like the wheels have come off for Spurs as well as Man City. Wonder if they can hold onto a Champions League place..

Lastly, I just want to say I really wonder how the FA deal with 'incidents' and how they determine the punishment. Does anyone have any idea what their criteria is?

I'm not defending Wayne Rooney, but he got a 3-match ban for swearing at the camera when scoring a goal. Fair enough some would say, I would have thought 1-game was fair but whatever.

Now, Ivanovic against Wigan clearly punched one of their players off the ball. Thankfully, this was brought up and action was taken. However, Ivanovic received a 3-game ban for punching someone. How is swearing at the camera as bad as punching one of your fellow pros?

I'd just like to hear people's opinions on this. And Balotelli should probably be banned from football all together as he's even worse.

I think the FA tried to make an example out of Rooney, probably thinking that throngs of youth look up to him (I pity anyone who takes Rooney as a role model or thinks he could be one). 3 games also seems light for Ivanovic.

Ban Balotelli for life, yes please.

Yeah the bans from the FA seem nonsensical but you have to consider that they're trying to send a message to society in general and kids in particular. If they started handing out 1 game bans for swearing at the camera but 3 game bans for violent conduct then you run into the trouble of putting a value (or degrees of badness) on different incidents and that is a whole can of worms. If you just have a list of things you can and can't do, and you punish them all with 3 game bans then that sends a much clearer and stronger message. For big incidents the FA still rule differently (such as the racism thing with Suarez) but those are isolated incidents. It may not seem fair at first but I don't have a problem with it, in fact I'd like to see cheating and diving included in that list. Imagine if you got a 3 game ban for diving, nobody would ever dive again!

I still think all Liverpool are just cats. I mean at first they are awesome and cute, but then you realize they are demon animals.

Honduras and Mexico onward to London 2012! Grande Bicolor!

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
This weeked has been pretty shocking for watching football. If I sit to watch some football, it's been tedious and boring, and unexciting, then as soon as I leave, it just explodes into something good. Was so bored watching the Fulham Chelsea game. Not because I'm a neutral fan, it just wasn't really a thriller.

I swear I'm cursed. Make sure to let me know if you want an exciting game, and I'll stop watching.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
I still think all Liverpool are just cats. I mean at first they are awesome and cute, but then you realize they are demon animals.

Honduras and Mexico onward to London 2012! Grande Bicolor!
Hopefully Alan Pulido will make a statement for English clubs while plays Honduras in London.

This weeked has been pretty shocking for watching football. If I sit to watch some football, it's been tedious and boring, and unexciting, then as soon as I leave, it just explodes into something good. Was so bored watching the Fulham Chelsea game. Not because I'm a neutral fan, it just wasn't really a thriller.

I swear I'm cursed. Make sure to let me know if you want an exciting game, and I'll stop watching.
I find this same problem, whenever I do actually watch a match it is always low-scoring and not very exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)