2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
it depresses me to think that a few seasons back our midfield had Alonso and Mascherano in it, now it has a spice boy and an overweight Scot in it.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
What a fuckload of terrible signings
dalglish has been inexcusably lazy in his transfer policy. whereas other teams put a lot of time and money into their scouting policy and came up with gems like Hernandez, Cabaye, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc, Liverpool have basically just went out and cherrypicked individual star performers from other clubs and expected them all to just fit together perfectly. i haven't seen that work since Real Madrid at the turn of the century and i'm sorry but Jordan Henderson is no Zinedine Zidane.

edit: hi void, nice to have an impartial liverpool fan here :3

I would say that Liverpool need to invest in youth but unfortunately I think that's exactly what Dalglish tried to do - buying Carroll, Henderson, Coates etc but they haven't repaid his faith (or their pricetag). I never really understood why Kenny wanted these players so badly; apart from being hyped up by the English tabloids I didn't really think they looked outstanding at the time, they weren't like a Sturridge or Wilshere who were showing world class quality last season.

To think that Liverpool could've bought Oxlade Chamberlain and Aguero and Mata and Ba (and who knows who else) for the money they spent on Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Adam etc. Phil Jones for 18mil, or even Nasri for 24mil lol. Come to think of it, how on earth did Wenger get Chamberlain for only 12mil???

edit: Spurs 1-0 behind, lovely!

To think that Liverpool could've bought Oxlade Chamberlain and Aguero and Mata and Ba (and who knows who else) for the money they spent on Downing, Carroll, Henderson, Adam etc. Phil Jones for 18mil, or even Nasri for 24mil lol. Come to think of it, how on earth did Wenger get Chamberlain for only 12mil???
The players have to want to come to the club for you to say you "could've".

And hell, everyone was giving us shit when Wenger bought Chambo.. saying "Arsenal spends big on another youngster" "Chamberlain who?" "spend big on an unproven player" etc.

Yeah I understand what you're saying.

John Henry "built" his new squad on percentages, kind of like the Moneyball idea... and it's failing.

dalglish has been inexcusably lazy in his transfer policy. whereas other teams put a lot of time and money into their scouting policy and came up with gems like Hernandez, Cabaye, Oxlade-Chamberlain etc, Liverpool have basically just went out and cherrypicked individual star performers from other clubs and expected them all to just fit together perfectly. i haven't seen that work since Real Madrid at the turn of the century and i'm sorry but Jordan Henderson is no Zinedine Zidane.
yeah, and I honestly can't understand Dalglish's fetish for overrated british players either. There's so many strikers available in leagues like La Liga and Ligue 1 that are better than Carroll, would love to play for a club like Liverpool, and could have been brought in for a third of his transfer fee. Carroll is only really good at clubs where they send in 84563967 crosses into the box every game, doesn't suit Liverpool's style of play at all.

Henderson is an okay signing I suppose, one for the future and all that, but his price tag was hardly justified. Charlie Adam just doesn't have the quality needed to get us where we want to be, we could have brought in a player like Cabeye instead.

tbh I think Adam was bought for the wrong role, they wanted him to be Alonso v2 but he isn't mobile enough and his best performances all come when he's the main creator in a 3 man midfield, not the deep passing mid that Alonso was, and certainly not in a 4-4-2.

the other day I found this interesting stat: Downing actually is creating chances at a very similar rate as last season(1 per 41 minutes this season, compared to 1 per 40 last season). Doesn't excuse his lack of goals, but really highlights the poor finishing around.

In unrelated news! 4th round draw for World Cup Asia Qualifiers were made yesterday.

Group A:
South Korea
Iran
Uzbekistan
Qatar
Lebanon

Group B:
Australia
Japan
Iraq
Jordan
Oman

Personally I'm a fan of Iraq, just love their Brazilian coach Zico and I think they have a shot at the finals this time.

tbh I think Adam was bought for the wrong role, they wanted him to be Alonso v2 but he isn't mobile enough and his best performances all come when he's the main creator in a 3 man midfield, not the deep passing mid that Alonso was, and certainly not in a 4-4-2.
alonso wasn't mobile at all. it's not that adam is not mobile enough, it's that he isn't good enough (quality wise). alonso used to make the team ''tick''. never have i seen a player misplace so many passes as adam today.

and henderson was his usual anonymous self.

the backward passes are driving me crazy

The team we put out against Chelsea away is how it should be done.

Use Maxi, not Henderson! Honestly, having Henderson on the pitch is similar to playing every game with 10 men.

South Korea is the only legit team in group A.

Aussie and Japan will be the top 2 in group B.

The remaining three places are anyones guess.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
not sure who'll be happier about this; akuchi or phalanx.

standing by my post from last week

United know what it takes to win the league and, to me, City have always looked like they'll choke when it matters most [and Man Utd] winning the league by some 5~ points by the time everything is said and done.

The title run-in is key imo, Manchester United have already played the majority of their tough fixtures. Manchester City have a pretty difficult run-in in comparison to Manchester United.

I think Manchester City should be able to beat Manchester United at the Etihad, but even if they do win that, it might not be enough.

i do want city to win the league so it is tempered with 'oh god phalanx will be INSUFFERABLE' but FUCKING LUKE MOORE GO ON MY SON etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)