ORAS OU 200th post / 1 year on smogon RMT

Some music to listen to while you read this
Teambuilding process

I started off with a fast stall breaker Heatran. It gives me rocks and a good fairy switch in.

Scizor-M goes well with Heatran and gives me a solid win condition. Tyranitar was added because of the good synergy with Scizor-M, ability to trap opposing Heatran and Lati's; and its ability to break stall with a choice band.

Choice scarf Landorus-T was added as a cleaner and pivot.

Latios was added as a defogger and general Keldeo / Electric check. Suicune rounded off the team by providing a full stop to most physical attackers.

Team (in-depth)

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Fast, bulky Heatran is nothing new. I started this team around Heatran, mostly because when I think of OU, Heatran comes up in my mind. Don't ask me why it does, but if I had to garner an explanation, it's just such an OU Pokemon in what it does. And what it does and does best is break stall. This is the teams main stallbreaker, rocker, and my fairy check of choice. It is this teams best way of dealing with M-Scizor. This Heatran is walled by opposing Heatran. The speed investment lets you outspeed and kill fast Scizor as well as taunting slower, bulkier Pokemon, who for some reason, stay in on a Heatran (like Skarmory is apt to do on lower ladder). There isn't much more to say here.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

M-Scizor is a good, reliable Pokemon in OU (at least I find it is). Adding M-Sczior was more for role compression than anything else. It takes some pressure off Heatran for fairy's with no fire coverage while whittling down problem Pokemon for this team with U-turn. As this team doesn't have a standard issue Keldeo, it is also this teams check to Weaville and in some cases Bisharp. The ev's are Smogon standard and seek to avoid the OHKO from Latios' -2 HP-Fire while retaining maximum physical bulk. Like Heatran, this Scizor is walled by opposing Heatran. This is remedied by U-turn, allowing you to gain momentum and go into the designated Heatran killer for this team.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Choice band Tyranitar is really something else. While slow and possessing a poor typing, it has great power and the perfect typing for trapping OU's favorite Dragons and a variety of other things. It also excels at breaking standard stall (read: Chansey/Skarm/Quag shenanigans). The main use of this Tyranitar for this team however, is weakening Heatran so that Scizor-M can win easier. The secondary use of this Tyranitar is as an electric check for things like M-Manectric and non-aura sphere Raikou.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn

This is this teams cleaner and choice-scarfer - if you haven't already noticed by the spread and the introduction for it. In which case, sorry for re-iterating. The ev's allow it to outspeed positive speed natured 150's (M-aero) and gives it a bit of bulk. The move-set is pretty standard as far as scarf-Lando's go, except for Explosion. The only reason explosion exists on this set is to lure in and maim or kill Rotom-W. Rotom-W is a pretty good check to Scizor and explosion helps get rid of it.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Latios was added to check Keldeo, to remove hazards, and to check electric types. Its standard fare on OU these days, so I don't have much to say about it. Roost lets you recover HP, while dual stab + life orb is for maximum offensive potential. I considered using surf or t-bolt, but I decided psyshock was better overall to help deal with Keldeo more reliably.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

At this stage I needed a bulky water that could reliably check the multitude of physcial attackers in OU. I originally had Slowbro here, but that made me very weak to Bisharp / Tyranitar and pursuiter's in general. Suicune is a compromise. It checks everything it needs to (Lopunny, Landorus, Charizard-X) and chips away at the enemy team with scald and roar. It's a nice Pokemon.

Threats

Calm mind Raikou
Some variants of Sand.
Rotom wash
Curse Gastrodon

Replay
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-451318704

End

This team is not perfect. Far from it. In fact, it's probably not a very good team and you shouldn't use it, over say anything else, but it is a team I built and its my team. (please help me improve it). This is also perhaps a culmination of everything I learnt in a year on here. It's been a good year on here and I've gone from knowing nothing about competitive Pokemon to being a competent player and making top 10 on a few ladders (PU mostly) and becoming the number one VGC player in South Africa (netting a worlds invite as a result, but couldn't go because money reasons). I'm looking forward to the next year & I'd just like to thank y'all as a community for being cool & helping out on the rare occasions I needed it. Stay awesome. :heart:

Also: extremely subtle Youtube plug: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRi0mnkOYoj12XNU6aqs_aA

Import
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 60 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 156 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- U-turn

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roar
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)