2008 Olympics

wth... Usain Bolt o_O.. he just rocks o_O

and I rly liked how Michael Phelps made his team win.. was great to watch =o

i turned on my tv and the race that was setting the 8 gold's world record was starting exactly as i turned on my tv.
phelps is a (waterproof) robot.

I was disappointed that Shawn Johnson didn't win the Gold, she really does deserve a Gold at one point in these Olympics! I also thought it was unfair the chinese competitor fell off the vault and was awarded a better score than Alicia Sacromone (and thus taking the bronze from the rightful winner). The judges have scored the Chinese with a bias in their favor on everything except the Chinese team leader's mess on the floor.

Malaysia lost so badly it wasn't even funny. At least we ran away with a silver! (First time since 1996, and our 4th medal in the olympics. Damn)
Yes, it looked like he didn't care he was losing. Lin Dan destroyed him. It's a shame Taufik didn't do well.

I was disappointed that Shawn Johnson didn't win the Gold, she really does deserve a Gold at one point in these Olympics! I also thought it was unfair the chinese competitor fell off the vault and was awarded a better score than Alicia Sacromone (and thus taking the bronze from the rightful winner). The judges have scored the Chinese with a bias in their favor on everything except the Chinese team leader's mess on the floor.

Didn't the chinese competitor perform on a higher degree of difficulty?
That would explain why Alicia was rewarded a lower score.
From what I understand, competitors who perform higher degrees of difficulty are rewarded with a higher score.
I think the point system was different in the past where that didn't happen.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At this time in the Olympics now that track and field is now underway, I'd much rather watch the track and field events, but it seems now whenever I tune into NBC I only see the gymnastics, platform diving, or any other event besides track and field.

I'm pretty sure that you can go on NBC's website to view some of their events.
I just went on the website, and I saw a list of events available to view.
Hopefully that helps.

I'm one of the best athletes in the world, and I only got a BRONZE? FUCK THIS SHIT I'M GOING HOME TO CRY.

Really, the nerve. How many people would dream of getting bronze, just to have that happen?

So team GB finally made their move over the weekend, shooting up to 3rd in the medal table, now with 15 Golds overall.

God, we're pretty awesome this time around.

Vineon

Fleurdelysé
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm one of the best athletes in the world, and I only got a BRONZE? FUCK THIS SHIT I'M GOING HOME TO CRY.

Really, the nerve. How many people would dream of getting bronze, just to have that happen?
well it sucks to be 2nd (or 3rd) when you feel like you've been robbed.

Still wasn't a very good move.

It's slightly embarrassing for Canada. No medals day 1-7, 8-11 13 and that's already more then what we had at Athens.

You know what pisses me off? When runners don't give everything they have in the final. Example, when Usain Bult ran the 100m, it's pretty clear that he slowed down in the end because he knew he was going to place first when he could have just pushed off his last step and leaned forward, shaving off an extra couple hundredths of a second. I mean, it may not seem like it's that big of a deal, but when the world record is slowly improving by 2/100ths or 4/100ths of a second, a couple more could really help him keep that record for a while.

Not saying he wasn't insanely fast or anything, but that celebration deal before he crossed the finish line was kind of retarded. That's just the way I view things though, as a fellow (but nowhere near as skilled) track athlete.

Why would you be pissed off about an athlete who has no relation to you or probable impact on your life getting his world record broken sooner because he relented? I am pretty anal, and even that is absurd.

Bologo, Havak, and Krul, you are all being pretentious about this to me. If he had genuine reason to believe he was robbed, which it surely seems he did, then it is not even immature to react the way he did. It may not be classy or elegant or anything, but it surely is not the same as an athlete pitching a fit over money or a contract, which happens far more often. I wish Liukin had complained too when she was robbed of her gold medal!

(Also she got another silver today YEAHHHHH)

Pissed off was probably too strong of a phrase and bad word choice. It's more of just something that bugs me, but whatever. I feel that way because I run competitively as well (though not at that level) and it's been drilled into my head to fight through the finish. I never said it would affect me if/when his record is broken; I just said he could've gotten a slightly better time without much effort.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Bologo, Havak, and Krul, you are all being pretentious about this to me. If he had genuine reason to believe he was robbed, which it surely seems he did, then it is not even immature to react the way he did. It may not be classy or elegant or anything, but it surely is not the same as an athlete pitching a fit over money or a contract, which happens far more often.
Ok, but he didn't appear to take into account that he's representing his entire nation when he competes in the olympics, meaning that this makes his own nation look really bad. If he had just complained, I don't think it would've been too big of a deal, but throwing his medal on the ground was just a stupid move. Complaining wouldn't have gotten his medal stripped from him, but throwing his medal sure as hell did, and in doing that, he costed his country a medal. It doesn't matter if it's classy or elegant, you're right, but it makes him look like a sore loser with very little sportsmanship...and I have a feeling that he would've done the same thing with a Silver medal as well since he wanted Gold so badly.

You know what pisses me off? When runners don't give everything they have in the final. Example, when Usain Bult ran the 100m, it's pretty clear that he slowed down in the end because he knew he was going to place first when he could have just pushed off his last step and leaned forward, shaving off an extra couple hundredths of a second. I mean, it may not seem like it's that big of a deal, but when the world record is slowly improving by 2/100ths or 4/100ths of a second, a couple more could really help him keep that record for a while.
Actually, it was my understanding that most athletes do that so that they can keep breaking the record over and over again. They get more coverage, press, ect for breaking it.

I have to agree though, he didn't act like a real champion. If you saw the woman's 100m finals, the winner was also from Jamaica, and pranced around at the end, but you could tell it was in "real celebration" more than "look at me, I'm the best".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)