SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

This isn't a direct comparison (especially because I'm not expecting Skeledirge to be anywhere near as good), but I'm reminded of when Sword and Shield were datamined and I saw several people immediately dismiss Corviknight because its bulk wasn't good enough and we already had several bulky steel/flying pokemon. Granted that was partially because people thought it was going to have higher stats than it did based on ranges calculated before the datamine, but it's funny to remember
Ah remembers me the good times when people thought Corviknight was "we have Skarmory at home".

How much times change.

Also remember when people thought Spectrier would be shit? good days sons

Ok, I FINALLY caught up with all the posts for today. Can't wait to do the same tomorrow. :pikuh:

what are you talking about it objectively superior to megamence in every way in terms of design
Personally, I'm torn at the moment. I think I'll wait and see what the Shinies for the paradoxes look like, as one of my favourite things about Salamence is the shiny palette.

Volt-Ikazuchi thank you for summoning me
THE GOOD, COMPETITIVELY VIABLE GALLADE FORME WITH NO ITEM RESTRICTION IS REEEAAAAAL!
I am so glad it's actually good at the price of sharing things with garde. I wonder what quark drive does.
Now we hope something good trickled down to regular Gallade as well
Huh, the summoning ritual worked after all. Might try it myself later if I need to.

Parrot Paradox Form just leaked
View attachment 463649
Stop. Please. Enough about the bird.
1668036048407.png
me rn

View attachment 463672
You blokes really wrote over thirty pages about leeks!? In ONE NIGHT!?
It takes me F O R E V E R to catch up, sometimes I wonder if this thread is even worth the trouble...

I'm okay with most of the "non-names" because no "official" name is pretty interesting, but really have to ask about Paradox Misdreavus's name.

Does Flutter Mane sound like a bad Pony OC to anyone else?
I know literally nothing about the subject at all, but yes. Yes, it very much does. And now I hate it. Why did you mention this. I wanted to like the Misdreavus form. Now look what you've done.

I agree that we should not expect starters to be competitive in higher tiers but it doesn't make sense to compare a bulky pokemon with Unaware to Blacephalon just because they share a type. If Skeledirge is going to be good, it's going to be because it can function like an alternative Quagsire and work against setup sweepers

This isn't a direct comparison (especially because I'm not expecting Skeledirge to be anywhere near as good), but I'm reminded of when Sword and Shield were datamined and I saw several people immediately dismiss Corviknight because its bulk wasn't good enough and we already had several bulky steel/flying pokemon. Granted that was partially because people thought it was going to have higher stats than it did based on ranges calculated before the datamine, but it's funny to remember
Add to this on paper it has better bulk than any of the other Fire/Ghost. Since the ones that have better defensive stats (Marowak with 110 Def & Chandelure with 90 in both defenses) have substantially lower HP. Plus stuff like the inevitable Will-o-wisp can let it take more physical punishment.

At least in singles standard formats the writing is clearly on the wall for a slow Ghost/Fire mon outside some unforeseen niche build. Slow, weak to Rocks, Knock Off, EQ, wrong spread for its typing.
Wrong spread for its typing? Fire/ghost is a solid typing both ways. Good bulk, good resistances, and ability. All it needs is reliable recovery.

As an aside, a pet peeve personally is mentioning eq/knock off weaknesses as if they are crippling issues that kill viability. Therevis more to viability than that.

I agree that we should not expect starters to be competitive in higher tiers but it doesn't make sense to compare a bulky pokemon with Unaware to Blacephalon just because they share a type. If Skeledirge is going to be good, it's going to be because it can function like an alternative Quagsire and work against setup sweepers

My point was more oriented against the understanding of "good" = "OU", as if the occurrence of one starter per gen getting Protean or something else broken means that that should be taken as the norm.

Quagsire is a good natural comp. But Quagsire has a quintessentially elite defensive typing, Scald (OK this'll be matched by WoW), reliable recovery and doesn't carry the cross of being a defensive Ghost. Mons in that role also tend to want Leftovers so the rocks weakness is very unfortunate. You're right though. It's too early to tell especially without movesets. Reliable recovery on Ghosts is very rare though.

Also remember when people thought Spectrier would be shit? good days sons
Fast ghosts (>100) with a decent offensive stat (>110) are never bad. Ever. Just click Shadow Ball.

People tend to outsmart themselves in theorymonning. Some of the biggest names in the community insisted Tapu Fini was would never be good because it couldn't status on its own terrain.

Last edited:
Of the Pokémon we've seen l, the only Grass-type I can see this going to is an Evo of Tarountula. Tho there is also the pepper Pokémon I guess which already has visible seeds.
It's definitely the pepper; the seeds are fairly noticable part of its design since it acts as "teeth"

e: Also i think Tarountula is pure bug anyway?

i feel like even with slack off skeledirge will be a mostly a tech choice for stall. just feels like defensive fire and defensive ghost mons don't have a very good track record even when they do have good attributes, though i do imagine that skeledirge would be really, really good at the things it can wall.

People tend to outsmart themselves in theorymonning. Some of the biggest names in the community insisted Tapu Fini was would never be good because it couldn't status on its own terrain.
i think it's more that people just fail to see the bigger picture rather than outsmarting themselves. like in spectriers case, people got too hung up on the lack of coverage to realize it learned a ton of annoying status moves and barely needed coverage anyways cause clicking ghost moves is so dumb.

Of the Pokémon we've seen l, the only Grass-type I can see this going to is an Evo of Tarountula. Tho there is also the pepper Pokémon I guess which already has visible seeds.
That’s a bug type.

i imagine it’s probably Smoliv’s ability or potentially the pepper.

could also be an ability given to an old Pokémon like Gogoat (who I think is going to be the grassy terrain setter personally)

https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/mismagius/
not quite 110, but i dont recall Mismagius making a splash anywhere.

Also (mega) Banette :tymp:
Mismagius was/is top of UU in DP but was always blocked from rising b/c Gengar. Like you pointed out not at that 110 threshold though obviously the bar is now significantly higher today. There aren't a lot but no Ghost with 110/110 is any lower than UUBL. I would bet my sister (don't have one) Paradox Misdreavus will absolutely be one of the most dangerous threats this gen.

We don't speak about deathpuppet. Cost you a Mega slot and wasn't fast either.

It could even get Morning Sun or Moonlight.
These won't be enough for that role because weather will undoubtedly be a thing like it always is. Pain Split is almost certain, Roost is possible though I doubt it even with the bird. Dirge doesn't seem like the sort to get Strength Sap but it's possible.

Last edited:
That’s a bug type.

i imagine it’s probably Smoliv’s ability or potentially the pepper.

could also be an ability given to an old Pokémon like Gogoat (who I think is going to be the grassy terrain setter personally)
I forgot about Smoliv's final evo but I predict Tarountula to evolve into a Big/Grass-type.

i feel like even with slack off skeledirge will be a mostly a tech choice for stall. just feels like defensive fire and defensive ghost mons don't have a very good track record even when they do have good attributes, though i do imagine that skeledirge would be really, really good at the things it can wall.
I agree with the sentiment, but I also can't help but look at what quagsire does that skeledirge can't and think quag is just gonna be straight better, skeledirge is an unaware mon that:
is weak to ground (a ton of common setup sweepers run eq)
deathly afraid of knock-off(could really apply to dark types in general especially with the new mence and bisharp evo)
and is rock weak, meaning it can't really afford to run lefties and meaning it hates knock-off even more
all this for walling a few key mons, namely volcarona and potentially sneasler, It'l be a tech, but more avalugg levels of tech rather than tangrowth or ditto levels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)