Pokémon Gyarados (Revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by AM
Original Thread by azureleaf17

Name: Gyarados (#184) Type: Water/Flying (ME:Water/Dark)
Base Stats (Base Form): 95/129/79/60/100/81
Base Stats (Mega Form): 95/155/109/70/130/81

Notable Moves: (STABs in Bold)
Waterfall
Crunch (ME)
Bounce

Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Substitute
Taunt
Aqua Tail
Stone Edge
Rest
Dragon Tail
Roar
Thunder Wave
Sleep Talk

Abilities:

Intimidate: On switch-in, this Pokemon lowers the Attack of adjacent opposing Pokemon by 1 stage. Pokemon behind a substitute are immune.

Moxie: This Pokemon's Attack is raised by 1 stage if it attacks and knocks out another Pokemon.

Mold Breaker (ME): This Pokemon's moves and their effects ignore the Abilities of other Pokemon.

Potential Movesets:

Bulky DD

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute/ Taunt
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

This set makes normal Gyarados quite bulky. Substitute is a great option as it allows Gyarados a free attack turn or a free setup turn. Taunt is also another option as it allows Gyarados to shut down other setup pokemon or status users. Dragon Dance is the move that allows Gyarados to set up. Waterfall and Bounce for STAB. The HP + Defense investment allow Gyarados to have its substitute intact when its hit by a lot of things such as a resisted water move or Ferrothorn's Power Whip. The speed evs allow it to hit 381 which outspeeds up to a Timid Noivern. The rest is put into Attack with an Adamant nature in order to make his attacks after a DD hit harder.

Mega DD

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate/ Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature/ Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake/ Ice Fang / Substitute / Taunt
- Crunch

This is a very simple set. Gyaradosite for the increased bulk and attack. DD for setup. Crunch and Waterfall for STAB. Earthquake or Ice Fang for coverage. Moxie can be used to get the attack increase before you Mega Evolve but Intimidate is highly recommended. Substitute or Taunt can be used to stop setup mons or guard vs status users. Jolly allows you to outspeed Mega Manectric + Mega Lopunny after a DD boost.

Offensive DD

Gyarados @ Life Orb/ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Tail/ Waterfall
- Bounce
- Stone Edge

For those who want a more offensive taste of Gyarados this set is for you. 252 attack evs with an Adamant nature to hit as hard as possible. Max speed to make Gyarados very fast after a DD. 4 Defense to take less from Stealth Rock on switch-in. Bounce and Waterfall or Aqua Tail for STAB. Stone Edge for Coverage. Lum Berry can be used due to this sets lack of Substitute. Life Orb is used to hit the hardest.

Sp.def Rest-Talk

Gyarados @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance/Roar/Dragon Tail/Thunder Wave

So this set is very basic in what it does. It gives Gyarados some longevity using his only recovery Rest. Sleep Talk makes it so that Gyarados isn't incapacitated during its Rest. Waterfall for STAB. Dragon Dance can be used to set up. Roar for phazing if you have hazards or want to stop a foe from setting up. Dragon Tail is also used for this except you have damage with this, you will be walled by fairies. Thunder Wave to cripple faster threats.

Some Threats to Gyarados: Electric Types: Just due to his typing fast electric types can be very harmful to Gyarados.

Pokemon that resist the STABs and hit back with one of their STAB moves: Azumarill, Hydreigon and Chesnaught i.e.
Final thoughts: Gyarados overall is an amazing pokemon in the ORAS metagame. It is very diverse and can be a threat especially if you let it setup.

How well do you think Gyarados competes with others in this metagame? Discuss it down below.

Last edited:
Don't forget SDef Restalk

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 110-130 (27.9 - 33%) -- 90.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados in Sun: 113-133 (28.7 - 33.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 146-173 (37.1 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and poison damage
Can't switch into rocks but can get poisoned and still rest.

Don't forget SDef Restalk

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Waterfall

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 110-130 (27.9 - 33%) -- 90.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados in Sun: 113-133 (28.7 - 33.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Gyarados: 146-173 (37.1 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery and poison damage
Can't switch into rocks but can get poisoned and still rest.
Jolly really should be the first nature on Mega DD Gyarados, slash Adamant afterwards. It outspeeds Mega Lopunny and Mega Manectric after a boost, which is incredibly important.
Done

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Its early in the morning and I'm tired so this is kinda just a mesh of thoughts.

The biggest issue I have with mega gyarados, despite how much I like it, is the typing change between regular and non mega. As regular gyara, water flying is an incredibly good typing that checks important threats like Keldeo, Excadrill, and Landorus. Another thing about the typing is that sometimes you don't want to mega, playing the prediction game can be crucial. Will their mega Metagross hammer arm as I mega evolve? Will the mega Heracross cc / pin missle predicting the mega evolution or rock blast predicting otherwise? That's usually just minor stuff, but overall the change from flying to dark is pretty significant.

What is also very appealing about Gyarados to me is its versatility between its moveset, and sets in general. In regards to mega gyarados, it really only needs DD and crunch, and then you have the last 2 slots to fit waterfall, taunt, sub, earthquake, ice fang, and even iron head. Didn't know gyarados learned iron head until albacore brought it up on the viability rankings recently, and it's a very legitimate coverage move (at least on paper from my perspective but I trust that he used it before bringing it up) due to how common and prevalent mega Altaria is; +1 iron head OHKOs offensive sets cleanly and needs a bit of chip damage on bulkier ones.

However, the only gripe I have with this is that while it's really good to break through mega altaria (as well as other stuff like Kyurem-b, clef, garde oo) it doesn't really clear the way for teammates to a good degree like other lures such as grass knot (well not exactly a lure but you get the idea) since the majority of threats that struggle to break through mega altaria are other megas or share weakness with mega gyarados; nonetheless still a great choice.

In regards to the sets, what can be pretty cool is that both mega and non mega are viable to use, so it can have your opponent guessing to some extent due to how the sets have different checks (mega gyara is checked by keldeo, regular bulky dd smacks it with bounce, Rotom-w bothers regular gyara while struggles againt mega, etc). In addition, you can pair gyarados with Scizor to play some more small mind games for the same reasons, having your opponent guess which is mega and such.

While not as consistent as dragon dance sets, rest talk gyarados is obviously perfectly good but fits on very different team archetypes compared to the others. Being able to consistently switch into char y is a pretty big feat, and it also handles the likes of mega Metagross (without tpunch lol), Keldeo, mega Lopunny, volcarona, etc. Phazing is really good in this mega with the huge amount of setup sweepers amuck as well as the increase in spikes usage and coupled with the fact that gyarados pairs well with one of the best spikers, ferrothorn.

Don't have much else to say, hope I got my thoughts across well :x

I think scald could deserve a mention on the rest-alk set over waterfall , or at least in notable moves. While it means you lose to stuff such as SD talon and can't ohko excadrill, and it makes gyara weak as possible, it allows you to scare out physical attackers and spread status alongside thunder wave, so think it deserves a mention there.

I think scald could deserve a mention on the rest-alk set over waterfall , or at least in notable moves. While it means you lose to stuff such as SD talon and can't ohko excadrill, and it makes gyara weak as possible, it allows you to scare out physical attackers and spread status alongside thunder wave, so think it deserves a mention there.
Eeeeeeeeh, sounds really gimmicky. Like sap sipper Azumarill. Yeah, it can burn, but it's only a 30% chance, and gyara only has 65 (I think) SpA. Scald is great cause nothing can comfortably switch in on it. Well, coming from stuff like keldeo, that is. When it's from Gyarados, it's so weak that stuff like zard (either form, really) that can't be burned can just switch in and out as it pleases. I don't think it's really usable at all. You already have intimidate to cut attack and Twave to cripple sweepers. It's just not worth the move slot.

Not a fan of the spread on the bulky DD set, when the hell was Timid Noivern last relevant? 176 Spe gives you enough for +ve base 115s like Raikou after a Dragon Dance, rest slapped into attack and HP. Should be Adamant 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe imo, or I guess if you like the ability to set up on burned Ferro, 88 HP / 240 Atk / 4 Def / 176 Spe I guess

EDIT: By the way, it should be mentioned that one of Bulky DD Gyara's biggest draws in the metagame right now is the ability set up all over defensive Garchomp, which is really popular at the moment. -1 Dragon Tail can never break your Sub, so you can boost away. Granted, you'll need quite a bit of prior damage on it in order to KO it with even a +2 or +3 Waterfall or Bounce, but their only option to stop you with Chomp is to switch out of a Sub or DD and switch back in to get back to neutral attack, so you can normally grab a few boosts before being forced to take residual damage attacking that thing.

Last edited:
IMO outpacing base 145s (Mega Beedrill and Sceptile) at plus 1 with a spread of 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248+ Spe or at the very least Mega Lopunny (and mega manectric but mainly mega lopunny) with a spread of 56 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 196+ Spe is probably the most optimal unless you're really going for a lot more bulk in which case outpacing base 115s will do.

By EVing yourself to outrun Lopunny and Manectric, you'll also be outrunning a very popular mon at the moment, Tornadus-T, who threatens with Focus Blast, as well as Sceptile if it didn't get to Megavolve yet. Gyarados really does outrun so many natural enemies by going Jolly that it is virtually mandated if you aren't going for some exceptionally bulky build, which there haven't been any success stories of to my knowledge.

Shouldn't the Offensive Regular Gyara run Jolly as well? Getting outsped by the fast Megas like Manectric and Lopunny is basically a death sentence for Gyarados.

Regarding offensive Lum or Life Orb, I'm wondering why you'd want Stone Edge before Earthquake. I imagine it hits Zapdos and Rotom-W, but is it worth giving up the reliability & coverage of EQ (especially in an aegi meta)?

Also -- sub Lum Berry is incredible on offensive gyara. It turns opposing defensive/status-based threats e.g. gliscor, sableye, suicune, prankster t-wave thundy-t (after one DD), etc into an additional set-up opportunity/moxie boost.

EDIT: i realized stone edge hits mandibuzz harder too, but i don't have the calcs to see if adamant waterfall can't break it anyway.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Regarding offensive Lum or Life Orb, I'm wondering why you'd want Stone Edge before Earthquake. I imagine it hits Zapdos and Rotom-W, but is it worth giving up the reliability & coverage of EQ (especially in an aegi meta)?

Also -- sub Lum Berry is incredible on offensive gyara. It turns opposing defensive/status-based threats e.g. gliscor, sableye, suicune, prankster t-wave thundy-t (after one DD), etc into an additional set-up opportunity/moxie boost.

EDIT: i realized stone edge hits mandibuzz harder too, but i don't have the calcs to see if adamant waterfall can't break it anyway.
Stone Edge is primarily for Kyurem-B and Togekiss (this one mostly for M-Gyarados). The others such as Thundurus and Mandibuzz are somewhat the after thought. Just a heads up since that's what people sort of miss.

Okay, first of all, Gyarados is easily one of my favorite Pokemon to use, third only to Haxorus and Scizor. There are several sets to play around with them, but if they are not right, it could easily be fatal to the team. The only issue with it is the 4x weakness to electric that can easily show up and OHKO him. There are solutions. Several solutions are viable with Gyarados's amazing typing, stats, and movepool. Some of my favorites are below.

Mega DD (Very similar to opening post on this thread, because its a good set for Mega)
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch/Substitute
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

Dragon Dance is the secret weapon of Gyarados, as it is for Lapras and Dragonite. This makes him able to easily sweep unprepared teams. Crunch is a handy STAB attack, but not as needed. Substitute helps for DD setup. Waterfall is his main STAB option. EARTHQUAKE IS A NECESSITY.
It allows Gyarados to easily crush Rotom-W sent out to defeat Gyarados, and abuses the Mold Breaker ability. This can easily OHKO Gengars and Rotoms everywhere, making it a force to me reckoned with. This is the typical Gyarados set-up.

Unexpected Special Gyarados
Gyarados @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Few may realize it as Gyarados has a great attack stat, and physical attack boosting moves, bu Gyarados has a very good selection of special attacking moves. Flamethrower easily wipes out unsuspecting Ferrothorns built to be more physically defensive, and it can also be a quirky change of pace. Not usually as good as physical version, but can give it some refresing options for a movepool.

AnnoyingDos
Gyarados @ Salac Berry

EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 8 SpA / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Toxic/Substitute

Built to be annoying. Gyarados can be a great wall due to his typing and respectable defenses, so why not take advantage of it? Icy wind can be annoying by lowering speed, and combined with paralysis can easily allow slower teammates to be more effective. Scald has a good burn chance, and can be a god stall move. Finally, toxic is just to be annoying but can be useful, while subsitiute can allow Gyarados to more freely pull of Icy Winds and Thunder Waves.

HERE IS MY SECRET WEAPON, MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE, TRUMP CARD SET.... THE RYUU WALL!
Gyarados @ Assault Vest
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Outrage

Doesn't look like much. To place this into perspective, however,a Gyarados with maxed out special defense, a sp. def. boosting nature, and an assault vest is ALMOST AS HIGH AS THE SPECIAL DEFENSE OF A SHUCKLE WITH EVs ADDED. That is a pretty respectable special defense, reaching 492 as it's total Special Defense stat. Shuckle's unboosted SP. Def. is 496. Gyarados has always been weak due to the electrical type weakness. However, this Gyarados can survive a contrary Serperior leaf storm when it has maxed out special attack boost, and a thunderbolt from Zapdos. The hp EVs allow it to take special hits even more so. Moxie allows Gyarados to get the stat boosts that it cannot normally attain while using an assault vest.

In conclusion, Gyarados is amazing, flexible, and can devastate almost any team.

Enjoy! ;)

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Earthquake isn't a necessity on Mega Gyarados, and Jolly nature is basically a necessity (haha). Crunch beats Gengar (and Tentacruel) anyway, and Rotom-W isn't exactly the hardest Pokemon to weaken because after a bit of damage +1 Crunch kills: +1 252 Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Crunch vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Rotom-W: 159-187 (52.4 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery. Earthquake is cool to beat Rotom better and hit Azumarill, Mega Altaria, and Keldeo, but is certainly not required.

Also Special Gyarados is bullshit.

Mega DD (Very similar to opening post on this thread, because its a good set for Mega)
Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch/Substitute
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
Jolly Nature is mandatory because getting outsped by Mega Bee, Mega Lop and Mega Sceptile at +1 is unacceptable. Also, Crunch hits Water resists (read: Lati@s, Celebi, bulky Waters) harder than EQ (whose only target is Rotom-W, which is easily worn down). In the last slot, put Substitute, Taunt or Iron Head (this isn't a gimmick. Iron Head screws Mega Altaria which is really popular right now). While dual STABs are walled by Azumarill, Azu isn't exactly the hardest thing to weaken.

Unexpected Special Gyarados
Gyarados @ Wise Glasses
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Blizzard
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
I know Gyarados looks manly and cool wearing glasses but it should be Black Glasses to amplify the thug factor. Jokes aside, Special Gyarados is awful and outclassed by Keldeo, Starmie, Manaphy and many other Water-type attackers due to it's poor SpA stat.

Gyarados @ Salac Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 112 Def / 8 SpA / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Toxic/Substitute

Gyarados @ Assault Vest
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Iron Head/Outrage
What does this do that the standard SpD spread doesn't do already? As a rule of thumb, AV on random Pokemon is bad unless the Pokemon has methods of recovery or has a great typing which isn't easily exploited (like Raikou and Azumarill). If you really want a surprise factor that badly, run Natural Gift Gyarados (this is not a gimmick. Natural Gift allows Gyarados to screw Ferrothorn, it's #1 counter).

Look, all your recommendations are valid and stuff, and I definitely see your points as they would definitely improve the sets, but I am just stating what has worked well for me before. And no, I do not just place AV on random pokemon, I tend to put them on sweepers that could use the sp. def boost in order to help them out. additionally, it is not for surprise, it is just so that Gyarados can easily tank hits from special attackers without too many issues. Especially an unexpected thunderbolt.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
?? 252 SpA Choice Specs Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Gyarados: 388-460 (98.7 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

The problem with what you just said is that you said you slap AV on sweepers. However, the spread you are advocating isn't a sweeper set, as there is no offensive investment and is thus extremely weak. With AV, Gyarados lacks the longevity Leftovers brings, or the power Life Orb / Lum Berry brings, which is why it's not viable. I guess you could make it work and troll about the low ladder, but this is a site to advocate high level play.

It is true that it does not last as long as other Gyarados sets. However, I have found it that can be effective IN OU, despite it being a more out-of-comfort-zone strategy that seems as if it would never work. And no, I do not slap AV on any sweepers, only ones I feel really actually need the boost.

I do have to admit that anything with AV really appreciates the support of WishPassers like Blissey, but it is still effective.

Additionally, that is Gyarados's power for AV: He can still get boosts. He can be a sweeper still since he can boost his attack via moxie ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)