Move Z-Move Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread will serve as the discussion center for Z-Moves, Pokemon's newest shiny mechanic. Once-per-battle moves that contain incredible power, Z-Moves are sure to shake up the metagame a bit. However, they are not without cost as they require you to use your item slot on a Z-Crystal, potentially forgoing more generally useful items. Enjoy!

Type Specific Z-Moves:

Electric - Gigavolt Havoc
Fighting - All-Out Pummeling
Normal - Breakneck Blitz
Fire - Inferno Overdrive
Water - Hydro Vortex
Grass - Bloom Doom
Ice- Subzero Slammer
Flying- Supersonic Strike
Bug - Savage Spin-Out
Poison - Acid Downpour
Dark - Black Hole Eclipse
Dragon - Devastating Drake
Ground - Tectonic Edge
Psychic - Shattered Psyche
Steel - Corkscrew Crash
Ghost - Never-Ending Nightmare
Rock - Continental Crush
Fairy - Twinkle Tackle

Pokemon Specific Z-Moves:

Pulverizing Pancake (Snorlax, Requires Giga Impact, 210 BP, Normal, Physical)
Stoked Sparksurfer (Alolan Raichu, Requires Thunderbolt, 175 BP, Electric, Special)
Guardian of Alola (Tapu Koko / Tapu Lele / Tapu Bulu / Tapu Fini, Requires Nature's Madness, Reduces opponent's HP 75%, Fairy, Special)
Sinister Arrow Raid (Decidueye, Requires Spirit Shackle, 180 BP, Ghost, Physical)
Malicious Moonsault (Incineroar, Requires Darkest Lariat, 180 BP, Dark, Physical)
Oceanic Operetta (Primarina,Requires Sparkling Aria, 195 BP, Water, Special)
Genesis Supernova (Mew, Requires Psychic, 185 BP and Psychic Terrain, Psychic, Special)

pastebin of common z-moves BPs, thanks to Jukain: http://pastebin.com/WSJFzhC9

Last edited:
I think in general, Z-Moves will be used as lures. However, in most cases I can't think of reasons to use a Z-Crystal over something like Life Orb. I think the more useful Z-Moves are the status ones.

Manaphy @ Waterium-Z
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Rain Dance
- Scald / Surf
- Energy Ball / Ice Beam / Psychic

One of the few cases where a Z Crystal gives provides some versatility over another item. Z-Rain Dance gives it +1 speed to improve its match against offensive teams. Against slower teams, Z-Scald/Surf can be used to nuke a fat wall. At +6, Z-Scald can OHKO Mega Venusaur after SR.

Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Toxic

Z-Parting Shot heals your switch-in to max HP. Alolan Persian, Silvally, and Pangoro are the only Pokemon that get Parting Shot and Persian is the fastest user. It has access to Taunt, Foul Play, as well as superior physical bulk (thanks to Fur Coat) to distinguish itself from Silvally. This EV spread has max speed and enough bulk to survive a +1 Flare Blitz from Jolly Charizard X. A bulkier spread can be used if needed.

I was skeptical of their usefulness at first, and they're sure to incur in a lot of crappy gimmicks that will soon fizzle out (I can't see a real reason to run Z-Belly Drum over Sitrus, for instance), but considering that Gems had a strong niche back when, I can see the appeal now. Stuff like Z-Solar Beam Heatran, Z-Freeze Shock Kyurem-B and Z-V-Create (what a mouthful) Victini are likely to be the biggest users -- huge single-use nukes for dedicated wallbreakers, or else high power lures for specific mons.

There's also the unique effects for status moves, but by and large I think most of them will fall by the wayside. Time will tell if something like Z-Splash makes a... splash, though.

Z-Splash Kingdra under rain is actually really good.

Kingdra @ Normalium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Splash
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Return

After Z-splash you're basically at +3 Atk and +2 Speed. Return is there so you can hit water-resists without locking yourself into outrage. This set destroys common switch ins for special Kingdra like Chansey and Amoonguss.

Apparently Z Belly Drum restores HP 100%, but unless it restores HP then increases Attack, it doesn't seem to work on showdown. :/

In the chaos that is Sun/Moon AG on Showdown, I used Fairyum-Z Magearna as a cleaner with great success, the set:

Magearna @ Fairyum-Z
Hasty Nature
4 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Explosion
- Shift Gear

After one Shift Gear, you comfortably outspeed Jolly Scarfchomp by one point. You then proceed to use Fairyum-Z which, in theory, nets you your first KO. You're at +1 Atk, + 1 SpAtk, + 2 Spe, then. Afterwards, you fire Fleur Cannon from your boosted SpAtk, net your second KO and drop only to +0 since Soul Heart activates again. Then, you can once more fire Fleur cannon from your unboosted Special Attack - or go boom.

This gives you 3 Fairy nukes in a row without a stat drop and one explosion coming from 500 Speed.

Hasty makes tanking Fairy and Psychic Spam a bit easier, Naive would offer more protection against priority, but there's no weakness to any, so I went Hasty.

One could possibly use Volt Switch over Aura Sphere for pivoting around a bit, since it's Fairy nuke anyway while sweeping.

The list of bonus status effects really should be in the opening too.
http://serebii.net/sunmoon/zmoves.shtml
Moves like Z-Conversion have effects so pronounced that Porygon-Z honestly needs a new speculation thread precisely because of how devastating the implications are.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability/Download
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Z-Conversion boosts ALL your stats by one stage, and make you a Ghost type. You can then spam Adaptability STAB boosted Shadow Ball, because Ghost is still amazing offensively, and become immune to Mach Punch and Extreme Speed. Or you could become an Electric type, Adaptability Thunderbolt, which also pairs well with Electric Terrain. Otherwise Download can potentially get you to an effective +2 SpA after Z-Conversion.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do Z moves still have the same accuracy as the original moves, or do they go up to 100%? If it's the latter, Fightnium-Z Tapu Lele seems like it could work, the raw power enabling you to KO Skarmory at +1 after SR. CM Tapu Lele doesn't really know whether it wants to run Leftovers or LO, and both have their downsides, so this could be a good compromise. Same applies to Torandus-T actually, being able to fire off a really powerful and accurate Flying move seems amazing for it.

At the moment, I really only see 2 really good Z-move users in OU. The first is obviously Manaphy, which uses Z moves perfecly. The second would be Landorus-T, which can use Groundnium-Z like it uses Earth Plate: firing off an extremely powerful ground move to heavily dent switchins like Ferrothorn, Amoonguss, and most importantly, Sableye. I guess Garchomp falls under that mantle too, but it'd usually prefer LO or Lum. Pretty much anything else is better off with a Choice item.

Really, the necessary requirements for a Z move are a) a reason you'd want to fire off an extremely powerful hit, b) a reason you'd want to switch moves and c) a reason you wouldn't want to run a Life Orb. Manaphy and Lando-T have all 3, not sure if much else does. A good rule of thunb is anything that sometimes uses a Plate or a Lum berry could be a good Z-move user. So Dragonium Z Dragonite, Waterium or Flyinium Z Gyarados, Firium Z Volcarona, maybe even Fightnium Z Breloom or Waternium Z Azumarill could see use. But I honestly doubt any of these will really be relevant. Right now, it's safe to assume that Z moves basically belong to Manaphy.

I think mixed attackers that like strong one-off moves with horrible secondary effects will benefit greatly from Z moves. Latios for example would normally like LO, but think about how devastating a Z Crystal would be? Instead of taking LO recoil and harshly lowering your SpA often forcing switches, Latios can instead fire off a much stronger Devastating Drake (195 BP), and not be as much Pursuit bait because your SpA is still at normal levels, making Calm Mind more viable sacrificing coverage for raw power. The same can be said of users or Overheat, Close Combat, Superpower, etc.

Another type of pokémon that could appreciate a nuke that is only usable a single time in a match is a trapper.

For a very bad example, Alolan Golem with Magnet Pull can both set Stealth Rocks and trap Skarmory, but its Wild Charge is only a 2HKO and gives you a lot of recoil. But with an Electrium Z that Wild Charge can 1HKO Skarmory recoil-free:
252+ Atk Golem Wild Charge (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 338-398 (101.1 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Max speed Adamant Golem outspeeds any Skarmory that does not run more than 48 speed IVs so you hit it with the supereffective Electric attack before it removes its Electric weakness with Roost. Better make sure it is either taunted or does not have full HP when you send Alola Golem in as Sturdy + Whirlwind can mess a little bit with your sweet nuke. In that case just switch Alola Golem back in on the turn 1 HP Skarmory uses Roost and then finish it off with a regular Wild Charge the next turn.

Z-Parting Shot heals your switch-in to max HP. Alolan Persian, Silvally, and Pangoro are the only Pokemon that get Parting Shot and Persian is the fastest user. It has access to Taunt, Foul Play, as well as superior physical bulk (thanks to Fur Coat) to distinguish itself from Silvally. This EV spread has max speed and enough bulk to survive a +1 Flare Blitz from Jolly Charizard X. A bulkier spread can be used if needed.
Z-Parting Shot is so nice. I've been using this Persian set and I've found it to be a good partner for Alolan Marowak, since Wak walls so many things but lacks recovery. It also walls probably the majority of special attackers in the meta just by virtue of its typing and ability, while Persian walls most physical attackers, and Marowak takes the Fairy-, Bug- and Fighting-type moves that Persian hates, while Persian takes Ghost- and Dark-type moves. Solid combo. Sorry if this is off topic.

Moves like Z-Conversion have effects so pronounced that Porygon-Z honestly needs a new speculation thread precisely because of how devastating the implications are.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability/Download
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Z-Conversion boosts ALL your stats by one stage, and make you a Ghost type. You can then spam Adaptability STAB boosted Shadow Ball, because Ghost is still amazing offensively, and become immune to Mach Punch and Extreme Speed. Or you could become an Electric type, Adaptability Thunderbolt, which also pairs well with Electric Terrain. Otherwise Download can potentially get you to an effective +2 SpA after Z-Conversion.
I have to reply to this. Conversion PorygonZ is just ridiculously amazingly good it is unbevieable.
Conversion is like having ""Protean""(or lets say turning PorygonZ into a type of your choice)+AncientPowerBoost mixed into one. That, and alongside its fantastic stats make it very devistating

I would honestly say PoryZ is one of the best users of Z-Moves. Hell, it even has a Z in its name! Try it out, you won't regret it.
(Conversion turns Z into the type of its first move, if unknown to others. e.g. this set makes it Ghost)

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability/Download
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover

This set has been very successful for me, as it is excellent versus Aegislash. You can switch into a ghost type move, set up, recover off any damage (shadow ball does not 2hko at +1), and 2hko back with thunderbolt. Since Aegislash is everywhere, it's simple to find an opportunity to set up and become a very dangerous sweeper.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Z-Splash Kingdra under rain is actually really good.

Kingdra @ Normalium Z
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Splash
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Return

After Z-splash you're basically at +3 Atk and +2 Speed. Return is there so you can hit water-resists without locking yourself into outrage. This set destroys common switch ins for special Kingdra like Chansey and Amoonguss.
tfw when Splash is used on a serious moveset LOLOLOL, it's so crazy XD But the +3 stat boost in Attack is no joke....

I love Z-moves !

It just adds yet another element to the game. I have been fooling around with a lot of them and some of them have done really well. The Z-weather moves can be very good with the right power. There is also Z-splash, Z-Healblock/pscho shift. I have also fooled around with Z-priorty moves and they can be quite good too. Once we are able to transfer the other gen pokemon on January more possibilities with open up. Trapping pokemon like Dugtrio can unleash a powerful nuke against their target with a whopping base 180 STAB move.

Last edited:

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability/Download
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

I got to say I love this set, came in on Aegislash, converted into awesomeness, and then did 80% with Shadowball through his shield. Then Mega Loppuny came and did 70% with HJK after a +1 def. Unfortunately I got outsped by Tapu Koko and then I realized...

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Welp, tho it is kind of funny I had so much power and bulk with no EVs on.

Edit: Modest at +1 outspeeds all 130s so yeah

Serperior @ Grassium Z
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature .
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe (Remember to use All 31 when showdown adds Max IVs HP)
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

I think this one is going to be interesting because of the Nuke Potential. Basically only 1/4 resistances can endure a +2 Bloom dance, If you success on boosting your Serperiir you're basically have an H Bomb in your hands.

I think this one is going to be interesting because of the Nuke Potential. Basically only 1/4 resistances can endure a +2 Bloom dance, If you success on boosting your Serperiir you're basically have an H Bomb in your hands.
Eh, Bloom Doom is only marginally (15%) stronger than Life Orb Leaf Storm, I'm not sure if it's worth much. You also lose out on valuable KOs from the weaker HP and Dragon Pulse, not to mention that Bloom Doom doesn't give you a contrary boost after using it.

Playing on the OU Beta Ladder; I'm having quite a bit of success with this:

Honchkrow @ FlyiniumZ
248 HP/252 Atk/8 Sp.Def
Adamant Nature
Super Luck

- Brave Bird
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Mirror Move

Z-Mirror Move grants you a Swords Dance boost when used; and this applies before you actually use Mirror Move itself [Even if Mirror Move fails]. This gives Honchkrow something it's always lacked... Swords Dance. And with STAB Sucker Punch from a Base 125 Atk stat; after Z-Mirror Move you can proceed to basically rip through anything. Slow pokemon get ripped apart by Brave Bird at +2; while anything fast gets Sucker Punched. Pursuit is mostly filler because Superpower isn't legal in Su/Mo yet; but once Heat Wave is legal that would be the choice.

You could probobly do this with any pokemon who learns Mirror Move [Tapu Koko learns it!] but I chose Honchkrow because of STAB Sucker Punch.

Staraptor can probobly run Z Mirror Move as well; but it lacks priority. However it does have Close Combat, and Reckless Brave Bird hits harder than Hochkrow's Brave Bird. Dodrio as well once it's legal.

Worst-case scenario; you still have the option of Z-Brave Bird.

I'm running a bulky spread to mitigate Brave Bird's recoil somewhat; and because I'm running Duel Screens.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability/Download
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion

Doesn't it give accuracy? Meaning 100% accurate Thunder & Blizzard instead of bolt & beam?

Nope according to the mechanics thread, evasion and accuracy are not affected. It works like Ancient Power's boost.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Adaptability
Timid 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Conversion
- Recover

This set has been very successful for me, as it is excellent versus Aegislash. You can switch into a ghost type move, set up, recover off any damage (shadow ball does not 2hko at +1), and 2hko back with thunderbolt. Since Aegislash is everywhere, it's simple to find an opportunity to set up and become a very dangerous sweeper.

I've also had success with this set, though one thing I'd change is th EV spread.

Porygon-Z @ Normalium Z
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 44 Def / 252 SpA / 212 Spe
- Thunderbolt
- Conversion
- Recover
- Ice beam

Why? Because of Genesect. With 44 Defense, you make Genesect that attempts to revenge you gain SpA through Download boost, so you got less damage from Extremespeed. It's pretty useful considering Genesect is also pretty common. Also don't worry. You still outspeed Pheromosa by 1 point at +1 Speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)