Your Clubs and Activities!

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Consider this a “Personal Experience” and “Advice” thread.

Recently, I’ve been considering many clubs to join for my Soph year in high school, and boy, there are so many to cherry pick. There’s a T-shirt coloring club, the Cooking Club, the Design Club, and pretty much a strong multitude of activities! (did I mention there’s a Pokemon Club with a Smogon pact in it? Fanboys rejoice~) Again, many to choose from, and I’m at an especially open state of decision.

So far, I’ve joined three clubs: The Yearbook Club (so the colleges and students look at me), the Art and Banner Club (to waste time), and the T-Shirt coloring Club (again, waste of time, but fun!). I plan on joining more so the colleges can look at me.

Here, some or all following questions can be answered and developed on:

• What clubs and activities are you into (in terms of school and college)?
  • Why did you join those activities? Relevant to your interests?
  • In your opinion or experience, how much is “too much” in terms of the number of activities you can join?
  • How do you manage the time? Does the time provided by the activities interrupt or compliment your time well?
Alrighty then, it’s been a while since I posted in Congregations, but nobody cares about that! Please post your personal experiences with clubs and answer some of the questions above! I think we can come up with some great advice and common experiences by posting here.

I'm just a freshie, so I'm not in many clubs. I might join more, but for now I'm in

Anime Club (Mondays)
Video Game Club (Wendsays. Might not go, starts in a week)
Freshman Class Board (Days vary. Help out with school spirit, ect. AKA; GirlsTalkWhileSortOfWorkingClub =\)

When I was at Cambridge I was involved in the Assassins Guild, Capture The Flag (assassins spin-off, battling with water, nerf, etc weapons), the CU Wireless Society (ham radio) and Trinity Hall Boat Club. I also did some casual work for my college's IT department.

I was never very active, or very good, at any of them though.

At school I was in this thing called "University of the First Age.", an after-school club with a science/engineering bent. We got to play with Lego Technic and Mindstorms and do challenges with them, like hill climbing (double-sided tape on the wheels for grip!) and building a mock Mars rover (the tricky bit was making it stop when it hit the end wall, without it stopping when it knocked into a potato "rock", that needed some use of the sensors and programming the mindstorms)

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I do forensics (speech and debate) at my school. There's a whole bunch of events in it (it's competitive) and I have done both a debate event and a speech event.

i never really liked the idea of joining clubs just so colleges would look at you. All the clubs I joined (and the ones i'm in right now) i did so for fun, or because they were interesting to me. Sometimes they end up looking pretty nice on a resume (like, for example, I'm an engineer at the campus radio station), but if I didn't have a good time doing it, I would stop. It's not like I'm getting paid to do it, so there's really not much incentive for me to do something I don't REALLY want to.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I joined the Pre Med Society. (Woo Hoo... Not).

None of the clubs looked interesting quite frankly. There was no Chemistry Student Union that I was looking forward to (I am the ONLY Chemistry major out of a dozen, and I don't even know who the other dozen are). I considered joining the anime club, but then decided that would be a social suicide.

Quite frankly, volunteering and getting adjusted to first year, and trying to keep a GPA above 4 is enough on my plate as of the moment.

I'm Secretary for the University of Sydney Union club "SUTEKH". It started as a Dr Who Appreciation Society in the 1970s, but nowadays it has a huge portfolio of interests. We cover Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror and other literature of that kind, Comic Books, Video Games, Miniatures and Wargaming, CCGs, and of course RPGs (as in Dungeons and Dragons, GURPS, World of Darkness, etc.)

In first year, I joined a couple of other societies, notably SUAnime, but since I never really attended their events (they clashed with Sutekh events) I never bothered again.

I joined Sutekh because I was looking for the D&D/MtG club that I knew the university would have; I actually joined up before I had actually enrolled in university, joining the group's forums.

I don't like the Faculty-based clubs, particularly the Law Society. The elections for it each year are all empty promises and every candidate has an identical ticket of Transparency, Independence, Accountibility. They claim that they don't want the $250 000 they get in funding each year to be wasted on booze and piss-ups like the previous year, then the first thing they do once elected is organise a big piss-up.

ugh, I'm so fucking mundane:

Any herpetology club goings on
Starcraft 2
Any paleontological club goings on
Pokemon Heart Gold
Hiking randomly in the mountains, just me and my hands to fend off a bear (and the closed-fist, overhand punch of a 115 lbs girl trying to make a difference. YOUR RIGHTS DO NOTHING AGAINST A BEAR)
Taking care of some Newts that I am trying to help resolve the cladistics on; also cleaning their sperm
Ammonite research
apparently flying around in small aircraft for free (this one is new and unexpected)
Tasting new Beers (try Paulaner along with a steak or Iron-rich meat meal like a baconator it will change your life)

I am honestly bored and have been watching this thread for ideas on how to make myself more interesting to me. Thinking of Kayaking, but the reservoir is the only body of water 'round here and winter is fast approaching. I'm scared of water I can't see the bottom of, even if it's just some dammed off river. I'm going to do my SCUBA cert, which is in stark contrast to the last point- I plan on shitting my pants as a hobby too, apparently. Soon, maybe I can try underwater sex? KIDDING, but I actually am interested in SCUBA. I feel invincible under the water when I can breathe effortlessly and the fish have to use biology or some other weak willed way of obtaining oxygen.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ugh, I'm so fucking mundane:

Any herpetology club goings on
Starcraft 2
Any paleontological club goings on
Pokemon Heart Gold
Hiking randomly in the mountains, just me and my hands to fend off a bear (and the closed-fist, overhand punch of a 115 lbs girl trying to make a difference. YOUR RIGHTS DO NOTHING AGAINST A BEAR)
Taking care of some Newts that I am trying to help resolve the cladistics on; also cleaning their sperm
Ammonite research
apparently flying around in small aircraft for free (this one is new and unexpected)
Tasting new Beers (try Paulaner along with a steak or Iron-rich meat meal like a baconator it will change your life)

I am honestly bored and have been watching this thread for ideas on how to make myself more interesting to me. Thinking of Kayaking, but the reservoir is the only body of water 'round here and winter is fast approaching. I'm scared of water I can't see the bottom of, even if it's just some dammed off river. I'm going to do my SCUBA cert, which is in stark contrast to the last point- I plan on shitting my pants as a hobby too, apparently. Soon, maybe I can try underwater sex? KIDDING, but I actually am interested in SCUBA. I feel invincible under the water when I can breathe effortlessly and the fish have to use biology or some other weak willed way of obtaining oxygen.
You certainly have an interesting life yourself. Why not make it even the more interesting by meeting more people and making new experiences at something you want to try?

I just started a board game club at my school. We meet every Friday after school, thus allowing sports people to play while simultaneously filtering out those who are not so dedicated.

I am also part of the We the People competition team at my school and spend 15 hours a week or so just reading material. My school must go back to nats...

What clubs and activities are you into (in terms of school and college)?

At my school, I'm in the orchestra but that's pretty much all I do now. My school pretty much sucks so yeah, I don't bother with after-school things too much. :] I do plan on doing the All-County Orchestra and All-State though.

Why did you join those activities? Relevant to your interests?

I joined orchestra in 5th grade mainly because you got out of class. Now it's like my life but I hate playing sooo yep. I really want to quit but my parents won't let me. :)

In your opinion or experience, how much is “too much” in terms of the number of activities you can join?

I guess it would just depend on how much you can handle. One of my friends last year joined like 10 clubs even though she knew she already had a big workload due to AP classes. She only did all of them because she wants a lot of chords when we graduate... yeah, idk.

How do you manage the time? Does the time provided by the activities interrupt or compliment your time well?

I'm only in orchestra now so it's whatever. It doesn't take up too much time but I wish I had a chance to do other things besides music. :/ I guess it's better than taking some cooking class or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)