XY UU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
when i say compelling evidence, I mean experiential evidence, replays, calcs that show why a specific poke is better than another one. virtually every ru poke is usable in UU, but that doesn't mean it is or should be considered relevant to the tier. listing a laundry list of a ru pokemon's typing / moves / abilities isn't convincing at all; you have to operate under the assumption that we're somewhat experienced and already know that.

feel free to use stuff that isn't on the viability thread, and if you think it really is relevant to the meta you're more than welcome to post a list of replays, situations, and list of things it checks / counters in order to convince us. You saw this with limitless' use of granbull; a poke who was previously unused, yet when he showed along with a couple of other people that it was extremely good as a hydreigon and heracross check/counter for stall teams, we adjusted its placement in the viability thread drastically. the only difference between now and then is that unused stuff that isn't currently relevant to the meta will not be ranked at all.

Sage

From the River To the Sea
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shiftry is a viable pokemon with the right support, but Kitten has it down when he says a new player should not use Shiftry, as the viability thread is intended for (primarily) newer players at a glane to see what is a of start for their team. Anyone using Shiftry is either new to battling or skilled enough not to need to see it in the viability thread to know it can work. Me and Watfor made a cool team with Shiftry but it was incredibly niche (fuck moth batonpass) and not something the average player would use. So Kitten is right not to rank it, though it can be effective.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
I wouldn't say Moltres is completly outclassed by Chandelure, as it is immune to ground, isn't weak to Knock Off and has access to reliable recovery. The x4 weakness to rocks is unfortunate but with all the excellent defoggers and Rapid Spinners in UU right now, it's not that big of a deal.
This is exactly the kind of theorymon we're trying to drive away from. Anybody can string together that they are different pokemon with different pros and cons but altogether Moltres has lacking Speed/Defenses to do much against Stall teams and lacks Power to break past Stall teams, as unfortunately, Blissey is a shit. In contrast, Chandelure has three immunities to boast (two of which are literally the most common offensive typings in the tier) which also means an immunity to Seismic Toss, access to Calm Mind, Taunt, WoW, Pain Split, and overall, eclipses the shit out of Moltres. Yes we have great Defoggers, but that doesn't necessarily mean they're gonna keep rocks off the field from turn 1 to turn 50.

If you can actually put Moltres's pros to work in a team, feel free to show us. But until then, it is better left unranked.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
any particular reason you're keeping malamar? I don't think it really has much use in the tier

Also, I think you should be keeping D rank for things that are in the tier by usage, but have no real purpose or niche. Something like Milotic should belong there.

KM

slayification
i would, but milotic isn't even bad enough to warrant d rank. it's not a matter of a niche that isn't important in the metagame, it's a bulky water, and it's a pretty decent one. I certainly wouldn't use it on most teams, but it is used quite a lot in UU and it isn't always horrible - it's this usage that's even keeping it in UU to begin with. In my eyes, it's relevant enough to stay in C rank, and doesn't warrant the creation of a shit-mon rank

EDIT: Malamar is a shit, that must be a mistake, it's gone.

Last edited:

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Alright so since Limitless has officially abandoned this thread, I decided to make all of the changes that have been listed over the past few pages so go ahead and look at it. Basically, the only thing that survived D rank was Shedinja, and even all of C- rank got removed. Some other mons got removed and all of C rank has been merged together. The best thing in C rank right now is probably Ditto, which is the perfect benchmark for the kind of niche C is meant to encompass.

Feel free to suggest more changes at this point, since the thread officially has someone who can edit the OP ;o Probably going to lock and create a new thread after the September drops are here.

Why was Gallade removed from C Rank? I've been using it to some effect since Gen 5, it's lum berry set in particular can put some real work in with both reliable priority and semi-reliable recovery. I can't think of anything that really fills the same niche either.

Meru

ate them up
Why was Gallade removed from C Rank? I've been using it to some effect since Gen 5, it's lum berry set in particular can put some real work in with both reliable priority and semi-reliable recovery. I can't think of anything that really fills the same niche either.
Between Flying-types, Psychic-types, Fairy-types, and Ghost-types, Gallade is hard pressed to cover its effective targets, something Heracross doesn't deal with as it has STAB Megahorn to piledrive past Psychic-types and relevant Ghost-types like Sableye. It also doesn't have to waste an item slot on Lum Berry, as status only makes it more of a monster. Gallade's higher Special Defense doesn't come into play much, as Slowbro has access to Psyshock while common revenge killers all use Physical-attacks, such as Victini (who you are not anywhere near KOing with +2 Sneak), Crobat, MAero, and Psyshock Alakazam all donk you. While it does help with Fairy-types not named Granbull, those are hardly dominating the meta right now.

Overall there are better Fighting-types for its role as a set-up sweeper, wallbreaker, and as a win condition. With Psychic-types gone during this next set of drops, as well as its #1 competition for a teamslot being promoted to OU, it might fare better in the next metagame. But overall, it is currently too eclipsed in its current roles in the UU metagame.

KM

slayification
The rankings shown here on the thread are now final for the metagame prior to the September drops. They have been entered onto a spreadsheet, which can be viewed on the new viability thread, the skeleton of which will be up in around 10 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)