Pokémon Xurkitree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Xurkitree | #796

Type: Electric
Base Stats: 83 HP / 89 Atk / 71 Def / 173 SpA / 71 SpD / 83 Spe

Ability: Beast Boost | This Pokemon's highest stat is raised by 1 if it attacks and KOes another Pokemon.

Level-Up Movepool
Lv1 - Tail Glow
Lv1 - Spark
Lv1 - Charge
Lv1 - Wrap
Lv1 - Thunder Shock
Lv7 - Thunder Wave
Lv13 - Shock Wave
Lv19 - Ingrain
Lv23 - Thunder Punch
Lv29 - Eerie Impulse
Lv31 - Signal Beam
Lv37 - Thunderbolt
Lv43 - Hypnosis
Lv47 - Discharge
Lv53 - Electric Terrain
Lv59 - Power Whip
Lv67 - Ion Deluge
Lv73 - Zap Cannon

TMs
TM04 - Calm Mind
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM22 - Solar Beam
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM33 - Reflect
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM48 - Round
TM53 - Energy Ball
TM56 - Fling
TM57 - Charge Beam
TM59 - Brutal Swing
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM72 - Volt Switch
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM86 - Grass Knot
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Charge
TM96 - Nature Power
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide

ANALYSIS

From an objective standpoint, Xurkitree's Special Attack stat is amazing. but not much else is impressive. That power on its own definitely serves as a strong selling point. Xurkitree's movepool is small, but strong Thunderbolts and serviceable coverage between Hidden Power and Grass Knot certainly do enough combined. With access to Tail Glow, Xurkitree is bound to be a serious threat against defensively-oriented teams, even wiping Chansey off the map when boosted. Furthermore, it has a strong Volt Switch which enables it to run a Scarf set.

SAMPLE SETS

Choice Scarf
Xurkitree @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

This is a pretty basic Scarf set. The idea is that you can fire off high-powered Thunderbolts and Volt Switches to have your way with offense, as well as work with the many effective VoltTurn options available in SM OU (Pheromosa and Genesect are the first two that come to mind. Hidden Power Ice and Grass Knot are just basic coverage for Ground- and Dragon-types.

Tail Glow
Xurkitree @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Zap Plate
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch / Substitute / Grass Knot

This is the type of set for Tail Glow that would come to mind. Volt Switch is a good idea because Xurkitree can then still be pivoted on mons like Venu that have to be worn down or eliminated for it to sweep, though GK and Substitute are also options. This set is interesting because I feel like there may be a more optimal variation available, certainly some different moves possible. This is pretty much the set though, at least for now. Great at beating defensive teams/mons slower than it in general because it's ridiculously strong. Item is whatever you want it to be honestly; the items I put give different balances between increased survivability and power. You could also run some item like Shuca to deal with Duggy if you want.

Personal Opinion

Xurkitree seems pretty solid, but I have concerns with it due to how good Dugtrio appears to be. I think Dugtrio is a big deal. I also think that competing with Tapu Koko is major considering how solid of a contender Tapu Koko has been from the start, boasting high power as well, superior typing, much higher speed, and higher versatility with its options. Furthermore, I think that Electrics will be more prepared for in general due to Tapu Koko. I'm concerned about the lack of bulk for a Tail Glow set, which makes this much less effective than say Manaphy against faster opponents. However, the Scarf set is really strong against offense (though Scarf Electric-type has its limitations) so I don't think that offensive itself is an issue for Xurkitree. Tail Glow-boosted Thunderbolts rip apart the likes of Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Chansey -- this Pokemon is STRONG. A larger issue is being outsped by Pheromosa, meaning that offense can outspeed Xurkitree even without Scarf. Offense will still struggle to find safe switch-ins against Scarf Xurkitree though, so the damage is probably already done if Pheromosa is getting the chance to revenge it. It's a pretty effective set although the glaring Duggy weakness and limitation of Choiced Electrics in general (being locked to an Electric move can be detrimental, and countless coinflip-ish situations show up between Electric move and HP Ice) combined with somewhat low Speed for a Scarfer do limit it somewhat. I don't see Xurkitree as among the best of the best, but certainly very solid and strong.

I could see Tapu Koko actually being a decent partner for this, both being able to lure each others checks so one or the other sweeps off the remaining team. Plus, Electric Terrain boosting Xurkitree's already strong Thunderbolts just makes it that much more threatening. Man, if Tail Glow already struggles with bulk as is, don't think Thunderbolt will be an all-that good option anyway. There's honestly not much to optimizing Tail Glow's slots honestly. The only thing I could say I've tried is Hypnosis in order to shit on people, but really, 60% of the time, it works every time. Old Anchorman jokes aside, yeah there's not much else to run aside from the 3 move options already mentioned. The same goes with items: Zap Plate and Life Orb might just be the standard fare, with Leftovers being used along substitute. And, oh, there's no joke about how it just steamrolls past defensive teams. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-478737298 Here's a quick match versus -Tsunami- where, honestly just being able to 2HKO Tapu Koko with its own terrain (the sticky web might seem odd, I'll get to it) and just having all the boosts enough to steamroll past anything else is impressive (just to reference how hard that was, shake's running an Alolan Marowak over Jirachi now). Stall teams will really have to be ready to pack electric immunities, even still, factoring Tapu Koko too. Yes, I've been running Xurkitree on Sticky Web HO, which while not the best playstyle, is still actually pretty nice to better deal with the incessant amount of HO teams you run to in these early stages.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Z-Hypnosis awards +1 Speed, which I feel is pretty relevant.

Also Gigavolt Havoc requires a small mention. Even though Chansey can opt for Calm nature with EVs:

Max SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 564-664 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

That's with Timid. Modest is clean 100%.

To be fair Electric Terrain + Life Orb covers the same thing - but I digress.

Last edited:
Something potentially worth checking out is passing a substitute and at least +2 speed from Scolipede and then nothing can really stop this.

Ive been enjoying a 252 hp 252+ speed set with LO. it makes it more of a team player for me and lets me use its resistances rather than waiting for a time where it can switch in totally untouched (eg. never vs a lot of teams). It still hits the same as a fully boosted 140 spa pokemon with no investment, so after a tail glow or beast boost it will still wreck anything. Im not so much a fan of running a frail, slow nuker without priority. To give an example of its increased resilience, it now takes 77-91% from LO draco from latios, whereas it would usually take 93-106% (56% chance to ohko)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
What if You could have its raw power+speed+bulk?

Tonight when I get home I'm going to make a team using it on a trick room team giving it an iron ball and volt turning as it runs out.

I think that does everything minus sub that this thing could ever want

What if You could have its raw power+speed+bulk?

Tonight when I get home I'm going to make a team using it on a trick room team giving it an iron ball and volt turning as it runs out.

I think that does everything minus sub that this thing could ever want
Why wuld you use an iron ball, it reduces your speed outside of TR and not worth for the eextra speed in TR when you could get a different item.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
Why wuld you use an iron ball, it reduces your speed outside of TR and not worth for the eextra speed in TR when you could get a different item.
I just think it's base is really hard to use in any place but if You reduce the speed enough for tr You might get enough bulk to glow tail and smash for 3 turns which is all it wants anyhow.

I'm sure it hits a better speed tier with iron in tr than its choice scarf

I'm really a fan of Xurkitree; right now, I'm using it on a team with Drizzle Pelipper and Sticky Web support, and both really go a long way at helping Xuriktree do what it does best (i.e. be a complete nuke to everything that gets in its path) without compromising its coverage, item slot, or power. Beast Boost makes this thing simply scary, and very much able to OHKO things that resist its mighty Thunder. Its movepool it a little weak, which does hurt it in a few instances. IMO, it could really use Sludge Bomb and Earth Power, at least.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Tapu Bulu just kinda laughs at this thing tbh. Hold on:

252+ SpA Xurkitree Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 188-222 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock, Leftovers recovery, and Grassy Terrain recovery

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree in Grassy Terrain: 429-505 (139.2 - 163.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Make of that what you will.

What about lum berry on the tail glow set. Makes it easier to beat Chansey and lets you set up on defensive mons that rely on toxic.

Z-Hypnosis awards +1 Speed, which I feel is pretty relevant.

Also Gigavolt Havoc requires a small mention. Even though Chansey can opt for Calm nature with EVs:

Max SpA Xurkitree Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 564-664 (80.1 - 94.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

That's with Timid. Modest is clean 100%.

To be fair Electric Terrain + Life Orb covers the same thing - but I digress.
Hypnosis has 100% accuracy with Gravity btw.

use shuca berry tail glow 3 attacks

thats the shit right there

scarf xurkitree is vastly overhyped and im hesitant to lock myself into tbolt when so many duggys are running around

shuca lets u lure ground for other mons, making it a great offensive partner to literally the entire specially offensive meta

i think that HP fire + energy ball is better than hp ice + grass knot on tail glow, with hp fire you can beat ferrothorn, while also beating defensive lando-t and hippo with energy ball(mega manectric is xurkitre):
+3 252 SpA Mega Manectric Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 362-426 (94.7 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+3 252 SpA Mega Manectric Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 690-812 (164.2 - 193.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, nah, I would have agreed with you on HP Fire + Energy Ball in pre-release discussion, but that shit's not gonna work on ladder. You lose momentum on a Landorus-I switch-in and even if you're +3 Zygarde still gets a DD on you. Run HP Ice 100% if you're not trying to lose to current meta trends.

Tail Glow
Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Nature: Timid or Modest
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Hidden Power Ice / Energy Ball / Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam

Sleep the mon you want to set up on with 100% (90%?) accuracy and get the +1 speed boost from Psychium Z, Tail Glow, proceed to deal a lot of damage to most of the OU metagame.

Edit:

With +1 Speed Boost, 252 Speed and Timid nature, you outspeed anything at or below 114 Base Speed with a positive nature.

Last edited:
I use this:

Xurkitree @ Focus Sash
Nature: Modest
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Dazzling Gleam

I haven't tinkered with it much but using it as a revenge killer has worked fine for me.

Tail Glow
Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Nature: Timid or Modest
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hypnosis
- Hidden Power Ice / Energy Ball / Grass Knot / Dazzling Gleam

Sleep the mon you want to set up on with 100% accuracy and get the +1 speed boost from Psychium Z, Tail Glow, proceed to deal a lot of damage to most of the OU metagame.
100% accuracy? I was pretty sure that Z-Status didn't have perfect accuracy (unlike Z-offensive moves)

100% accuracy? I was pretty sure that Z-Status didn't have perfect accuracy (unlike Z-offensive moves)
Correct.

And I'm not sure whether Z-Hypnosis is a good idea anyways. 83 base Speed is quite... low for an offensive Pokemon to be patched with just a +1 Speed boost, and worth the power drop for not carrying a Life Orb or an Electrium Z.

Correct.

And I'm not sure whether Z-Hypnosis is a good idea anyways. 83 base Speed is quite... low for an offensive Pokemon to be patched with just a +1 Speed boost, and worth the power drop for not carrying a Life Orb or an Electrium Z.
Didn't realize that. My bad.

I've heard from a couple individuals that Z-Status gained accuracy when it was used and it sounded believable considering Z-Offensive have perfect accuracy, so I was under the impression that it was the case.

Regardless, the initial power drop is worth it still imho. +1 speed feels more valuable than one might think, and if the sleep goes off, +3 from Tail Glow is so good. Past that, Beast Boost will carry you for any extra damage you need. I don't think LO is necessary on this kind of mon.

With +1 Speed Boost, 252 Speed and Timid nature, you outspeed anything at or below 114 Base Speed with a positive nature.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
With hindering nature and iron ball You can knock his speed down as low as 73

And that let's You invest in bulk more so You can get up one boost and tear through whatever You need.

Just out speeding who You need could be worth the trick room set up.

Not sure if it's gonna stay that way since other UBs are big reasons why Marowak-A is common, but this thing completely falls flat against Lightning-Rod Marowak and Electric immunities in general. Heck, even just resists. It has the same problem as many other Electric types and from what I experienced, the sheer power this thing has can't remedy that fact.

I will say though that it is in absolute beast when you dedicate yourself to removing those full stops. Setting up TR against hyper offensive teams is always a good idea when you see yourself outsped from team preview, but I don't think you should try and make it even slower. Its middling speed already sees it at an advantage against the majority of threats under a TR, and if TR isn't up, it at least outspeeds walls. Better to boost its damage further. You can still run TR somewhere on your team and throw it out against super fast teams, but don't gimp Xurkitree JUST for TR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)