Writing Monotype Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[15:37:34] +Dream Eater Gengar: thread name Anttya sucks y/y
[15:37:40] @scpinion: 10/10

Hello friends that clicked on this thread because the title is interesting. Indeed, Anttya does suck. But that's not the subject of the thread. Basically, Monotype is looking for more articles to be posted for The Flying Press. This thread is to call people that like to write and have creativity to let others discover our growing metagame. I'm going to write down what the steps are if you're unfamiliar with the procedure

Firstly, I'd highly suggest reading this to learn more about The Flying Press. Basically it's a service for Smogon in which users write on a subject they like, then it goes through some checks and it's posted for everyone to read. Before you start doing anything, read THIS THREAD that has all the details that you need to understand on how to submit and write such article. If you've got any idea post in this subforum to get approval. If you get approval you will be granted access to the Media HQ. Once given access to can start writing your post, it will be in the WIP state until you're done. After finishing writing up, it will be checked by a QC team that will check for accuracy and quality, then GP that will fix your grammar. Finally, it's going to get HTML'ed by TFP team and will be accompanied by an image.

We are looking for articles with high quality and determined people with great ideas, please do not submit an idea before you're sure that its good and deserves an article.

Here are some ideas:

Viability Ranking: Go over a type's VR list and explain the role and why its ranked that high or low.
Tournaments Scene: Everything you want to know about tournaments in Mono. From seasonal reports to MonoPL reviews and scores.
Mono OMS: How we mix stuff up

Hope you have a lot of creativity so that could help you! :)

Here are some written articles:

Monotype: The Community, Events, and Competitive Scene by scpinion
Monotype: The Revamp
by Omega-Xis
Monotype Suspect Coverage
by scpinion

All articles will be promoted in this thread for the Monotype userbase to read.

With that being said I hope you enjoy writing and will bring the quality needed. Thanks!

Last edited:

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
LOL it worked. I never would have clicked my notification for this.

Also I'd totally be down to write an article for Mono or co-author one.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah me and DEG are co-writing an article, it's scheduled to be released in June oo. That being said, I'm down to help collaborating in an article if any of you want me to, given that I'm interested in the topic.

Also Anttya sucks lmao

Viability rankings would are a good start but maybe we could incorporate some basic start up teams for each type at the end of each VR list and possibly also for the OMs? Not anything too flash, just one or two teams at the most to give people new to the tier a platform on which to build on.

Or possibly to stimulate at least some creativity, just a main core of mons to which they can then build around. This would mainly be for people who have not yet visited the room or those that have not yet taken notice of the sample team threads there.

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ORAS is coming to an end and what's better than ending this generation which some helpful and fun articles? I'm bumping this thread to catch the attention of people who likes writing articles. For more information check the original post!

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just dropping some ideas (some of these are already in the OP). Articles don't have to be an incredibly long literary masterpiece...don't let something like that deter you from contributing! Also, you can co-write these with your friend(s).

Type Analysis
Write about your favorite type!
Discussion ideas:
How does it fare in the metagame? (1-2 paragraphs)
What 'mons/cores are common? Why? (3 mons/cores, 1 paragraph a piece)
How have team archetypes evolved throughout the ORAS meta? (1 paragraph)
Post a sample team and briefly discuss how it is used. (1-2 paragraphs)
etc.

This type of article is targeted at someone that has never played Monotype, not the veterans that hang out here. If you regularly use the type on the ladder or in tours with success then you'll be fine to write the article. The QC team will also be there to help out!

Event Recap
We just finished up 2 cycles of Core Challenges. An article discussing the Core Challenge Project, and some of the more interesting/popular cores from cycles 6-7 would be cool! You can also advertise the 3rd season of LTLC at the end.

Build Up to Gen 7 Coverage
There are lots of new 'mons and typings coming! Pick 2-3 Pokemon and analyze how they will impact the Monotype metagame (you'll be limited to known details, though, so no theory-monning about stats). I'm not 100% certain TFP is allowing this, but if they are then it'd be awesome to get Monotype in on the fun!

Useful link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-write-an-article-for-smogons-flying-press.3558587/

Get your article approved by posting here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/article-approvals.349/

Hey there!

So I've seen some articles about the Monotype metagame, I think one in particular was written by Rhythms for The Player and was serving as an introduction to the metagame. That article is outdated at this point.

I have a lot of experience with the Monotype metagame and I think I can put together a new one with up-to-date information. I'm not sure of exactly everything I'm going to cover, but it would probably involve something like:

Introduction
Mono rules and introduction to the metagame

Cores
Maybe list a few common ones here and what they help a type achieve

Playstyles
Common Playstyles in the metagame and why

Conclusion
Why it's not a bad tier like a lot of people think, general concluding thoughts about ideas presented in the article and how to contribute

Thanks!

edit: It is also worth noting that you only have to provide the text for the article. The Flying Press has teams of people to do the HTML and art to make the whole thing look awesome when it gets published!

Last edited:
Just dropping some ideas (some of these are already in the OP). Articles don't have to be an incredibly long literary masterpiece...don't let something like that deter you from contributing! Also, you can co-write these with your friend(s).

Type Analysis
Write about your favorite type!
Discussion ideas:
How does it fare in the metagame? (1-2 paragraphs)
What 'mons/cores are common? Why? (3 mons/cores, 1 paragraph a piece)
How have team archetypes evolved throughout the ORAS meta? (1 paragraph)
Post a sample team and briefly discuss how it is used. (1-2 paragraphs)
etc.

This type of article is targeted at someone that has never played Monotype, not the veterans that hang out here. If you regularly use the type on the ladder or in tours with success then you'll be fine to write the article. The QC team will also be there to help out!

Event Recap
We just finished up 2 cycles of Core Challenges. An article discussing the Core Challenge Project, and some of the more interesting/popular cores from cycles 6-7 would be cool! You can also advertise the 3rd season of LTLC at the end.

Build Up to Gen 7 Coverage
There are lots of new 'mons and typings coming! Pick 2-3 Pokemon and analyze how they will impact the Monotype metagame (you'll be limited to known details, though, so no theory-monning about stats). I'm not 100% certain TFP is allowing this, but if they are then it'd be awesome to get Monotype in on the fun!

Useful link: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-write-an-article-for-smogons-flying-press.3558587/

Get your article approved by posting here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/article-approvals.349/

Hey there!

So I've seen some articles about the Monotype metagame, I think one in particular was written by Rhythms for The Player and was serving as an introduction to the metagame. That article is outdated at this point.

I have a lot of experience with the Monotype metagame and I think I can put together a new one with up-to-date information. I'm not sure of exactly everything I'm going to cover, but it would probably involve something like:

Introduction
Mono rules and introduction to the metagame

Cores
Maybe list a few common ones here and what they help a type achieve

Playstyles
Common Playstyles in the metagame and why

Conclusion
Why it's not a bad tier like a lot of people think, general concluding thoughts about ideas presented in the article and how to contribute

Thanks!
I can definitely cover 1 or 2 of these, that sounds really fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)