"Worst Pokémon Ever"

With all due respect I don't think any of those are lion fish.
I doubt they're trying to make kids be able to recognize the type since the game lists it out anyway.
Probably just a generic letdown choice.
I was referring to Luminieon, which takes design aspects from butterflyfish, lionfish, and clownfish. The lionfish is mostly in the way they put the large side fins (since no butterflyfish is like this). I know it's supposed to be a butterfly but the body-shape matches the lionfish the closest.

As for Klefki, I also am fond of it just for being a more obscure and bizarre take on the fairy type rather than a fountain of Tinkerbelle clones (still waiting on my Dullahan 'mon Game Freak). Plus I don't really get the knee-jerk reaction to object based Pokemon.

Plus a chance to name your Klefki "WhenUWlkAwy" is more than worth a spot in the Pokedex.

Last edited:
I like Corsola from a design standpoint as well, but it's going to take more than a minor defensive buff to grant it any glimmer of viability In-game and in competitive play.

Really, most Johto Pokemon could be placed on this list. I love most of them from a design standpoint, but the majority of them just plain suck on the battlefield. D/P salvaged some mons like Sneasel and Togetic, and you have Pokemon like Qwilfish and Smeargle that can scrap up just enough to work with, but then you get the stuff like Sunflora, Dunsparce, Unown, Magcargo, Ledian, Delibird, Shuckle, and of course, Corsola. It's sad really; I know Pokemon was still pretty young back then, but it makes you wonder what the designers were thinking when designing the battle capacity of said mons.
Shuckle has already been covered, but he does have some interesting tricks and abilities (Contrary Shell Smash, Toxic/Infestation), and while not a powerhouse like Tyranitar or Salamance, is not to be underestimated. He has few weaknesses, and can cause serious damage if he is not taken seriously. Taunt does shut him down though.

And Shell Smash Magcargo, while not the best Fire or Rock type, even in his tier, can cause damage if allowed to. Keep your Ground and Water types ready just in case!

Plus Klefki is a versatile Pokémon with a very good ability, excellent typing, and decent defenses. Even if you don't like him necessarily for his looks, you have to admit that he is effective. Again, Taunt does shut him down however.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion, Corsola is a complete disaster. Its movepool sucks, its stats are even worse, and its design just doesn't appeal to me at all. Seriously, it's a pink coral with a smiley face and an adorable cry, can you take it seriously? I mean, you walk into the Battle Spot/Pokemon Showdown, you bring out your Gyarados, and that is what they chuck at you? It's honestly a wonder how people even find it cute when in reality it was done into a disservice, to the point that I don't see it as very cute.(Maybe it's because I'm more used to working with more dangerous-looking 'mons like Druddigon or Dragalge.)
Competitive-wise, it's utterly useless in the metagame and even outclassed in regular play. It was evidently designed to be a wall, but its defenses aren't even that high and its stats are worse than Onix. Its typing is horrid(a double weakness to Grass plus average defenses leaves it a sitting duck), and Carracosta is a much better defensive Water/Rock type if you ever feel like adding one. Its only chance of injuring anything is a set consisting of something along the lines of a Choice-Band+Hustle-boosted Head Smash with 252 Att EV's and an Adamant nature. That sounds great, and indeed, it would be great on anything else. Defensively, it doesn't even fare well at all(especially nowadays with heavy-hitters such as Bouffalant and Dodrio returning to the NU/PU tiers), since they can take Corsola out easily with their coverage moves(Dodrio can even OHKO Corsola with Jump Kick, even with its type disadvantage). Corsola's defensive movepool is also barren, consisting solely of Recover and, to a lesser extent, Mirror Coat(but good luck surviving ANY special attack), plus Regenerator if you include abilities.
Outside of battle, I hate how Corsola is excessively rare(ESPECIALLY in Gen 7, took me 2 days to find that bastard); in other words, a Pokemon that will eat away at a good chunk of your patience, time, and sanity, and all you get it this trollish grin staring at you because you wasted so much time finding it. All it's really good for is finding Mareanie.
I can now conclude that Corsola was designed to be the world's cutest wall. Well, that's horseshit, because it does not look cute, and it definitely is not a wall.
Special mention goes to Farfetch'd, Unown, Luvdisc, and Delcatty, but I felt I would go off rambling about Corsola first before I start tackling the other useless abominations.

Let me ask you, does that look like a stone-cold murderer(no pun intended)? I'll admit, when I first caught Corsola, I named it Bonesaw because I thought it would be great in battle.
Guess I was wrong.
ok so i can respect your opinion about corsola not being cute because cuteness is subjective but my boi has a better defensive movepool than you seem to be claiming.

first off, although these moves aren't very viable it is the only mon (besides smeargle) to get both ingrain and aqua ring which imo is really cool thematically because it showed an emphasis on regeneration even before corsola received the ability.

secondly it gets stealth rock, magic coat, and all four weather moves, making it a pretty cool lead.

third, it can increase its defense or spdef by two using barrier or amnesia. it also gets reflect and light screen to support its teammates.

speaking of supporting teammates corsola is pretty good at that with moves such as lucky chant, safeguard, and mist. it doesn't get helping hand tho even though it seems to be about helping others idgi

finally it can do ok on its own with camouflage to improve its typing, confuse ray (!) and calm mind. really the only thing in corsola's way is its stats which are almost as low as the iq of the guy who designed them.

should i say what i think is the worst mon ever? sure. let's go.

sunflora.

ngl sunflora has some cool things going for it (design is somewhat interesting, one of the only grasses with earth power) but what are its stats even doing? having used sunflora i can say that solar power still does 0 damage even if you have sun up... using solarbeam... with a life orb because of how awful its offensive typing is. chlorophyll is somehow even weaker but it still can't really outrun anything even if you run speed. look i want to like this thing but it's just so underwhelming.

Sunflora's a pretty good candidate, honestly. It's not good in battle, it's not very inspired or even cute or cool aesthetically, its lore as far as I can remember is kind of boring, it doesn't have much unique to it aside from getting Earth Power from a tutor...

I'd be ok if they changed Sunflora to Fire/Grass. A sunflower is the perfect thing for our first Fire/Grass Pokémon. If they made a Pokémon that isn't shit with it it'd be pretty interesting competitively. Fire/Grass is pretty strong offensively and while it's weak to Stealth Rock, it's not bad defensively either.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I know Luvdisc has already been shat on in this thread, but I can simply not forgive gamefreak for the fact that Luvdisc doesn't evolve into Alomomola. I get that gen 5 wasn't supposed to relate to the other gens but now we have two unrelated pink heart fishes, one of which being the obvious superior. That's beyond stupid. Luvdisc would be decent in LC (?).

Too lazy to look up if someone has nominated this mon yet, but whatever.

This is arguably the ugliest mon there is, and it's not all that bright, either. Furthermore, it's notoriously difficult to find, as in RSE and DPP, it's only in one area, and you can never quite tell what tile it's going to be on, and in Unova, it's a 5% encounter rate outside of rippling water. All this for a mon with stats and movepool on par with Magikarp. And then there's the way that it evolves. You have to grind a bunch of Pokeblocks or Poffins to get its beauty stat, ironically enough, to a high enough point. What is that point? Who knows? This evolution method is so wonky that Game Freak changed it in BW... to trading with a Prism Scale. And Milotic isn't that great in-game in the first place.

So yeah, Feebas for worst mon ever.

Too lazy to look up if someone has nominated this mon yet, but whatever.

This is arguably the ugliest mon there is, and it's not all that bright, either. Furthermore, it's notoriously difficult to find, as in RSE and DPP, it's only in one area, and you can never quite tell what tile it's going to be on, and in Unova, it's a 5% encounter rate outside of rippling water. All this for a mon with stats and movepool on par with Magikarp. And then there's the way that it evolves. You have to grind a bunch of Pokeblocks or Poffins to get its beauty stat, ironically enough, to a high enough point. What is that point? Who knows? This evolution method is so wonky that Game Freak changed it in BW... to trading with a Prism Scale. And Milotic isn't that great in-game in the first place.

So yeah, Feebas for worst mon ever.
The whole ugly thing is part of the point with Feebas. You take this shabby fish and raise its beauty, and it evolves into one of the most beautiful Pokemon known according to the Pokedex. I can't really speak for its in-game performance as Milotic, though.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Milotic wouldn't be that bad if it didn't require so much babying to obtain. Even once you catch it, regardless how easy or difficult, you still have to grow a ton of berries and make Pokeblocks out of those to evolve it. As far as Sun/Moon is concerned, it's even worse since you can't evolve it until Poni Island, unless you get super-lucky and fish a Prism Scale up prior.

The thing about Feebas that bugs me is the fact that Game Freak continuously flip-flops on its rarity and evolution method; in some games it's super rare, while in others it's easy as knowing where to throw the rod in. in some games evolving it requires maxing the beauty stat (either through Pokeblocks or massages/haircuts), while in others it's an item-based trade evo.

in some games evolving it requires maxing the beauty stat (either through Pokeblocks or massages/haircuts), while in others it's an item-based trade evo.
Ever since BW introduced the Prism Scale, you can evolve Feebas in either way.

Well, provided there's a way to boost Beauty in the game you want to evolve it in, or provided it had its Beauty boosted in another game.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Ever since BW introduced the Prism Scale, you can evolve Feebas in either way.

Well, provided there's a way to boost Beauty in the game you want to evolve it in, or provided it had its Beauty boosted in another game.
On paper, yes the evolution methods are concurrent, but that only comes into effect if you trade/transfer Feebas from a separate game; when it comes to catching a Feebas native to your game, your evolution options are restricted to one or the other. In games likes ORAS that have methods to max beauty, the Prism Scale isn't obtainable without trading, while the reason for the item's existence is to fill the evolution in games where contest stats aren't manipulable.

This Pokemon isn't the worst of all time, but look at this disgrace

It's Unfezant

At first, I thought Unfezant was just some decent in-game Mon and that was that.

On closer inspection, it is probably one of our worst early game birds aside from Noctowl. But Unfezant here has so much potential and has nothing to do with it.

Unfezant has a terrible offensive movepool, even worse than Fearow's- or maybe just as bad as Fearow's. However, Unfezant gets neither Drill Peck nor Brave Bird. Fly seems okay, and it is because duh, of course it would get Fly, and it is helpful in-game, but in competitive- it could be so much better. You get Sky Attack, but Sky Attack Unfezant is terrible in PU. Even in-game you have to give the opponent a free turn for an attack that has a chance of missing. Technically the same with Fly. Other than that, you just have Aerial Ace. You can use Return on this thing, because of course it has Return. Everything has Return.

Like Noctowl it has a very forgettable design, but this time it's so bad that even two distinct gender differences in coloration and feathering couldn't make it interesting. Then Ash gets one in the anime, but very much unlike his shiny Noctowl, it does nothing significant at all. And speaking of shinies, Noctowl has an iconic one while Unfezant's look like it got caught in some melted crayons. Tranquill in particular has one of the gaudiest shinies I have ever seen in my life. They could've made the shiny ones peacock colors or something. I don't want boring old brown and a mildly amusing violet hue.

THEN Unfezant's only useful coverage comes in the forms of Steel Wing, Night Slash, and the obligatory U-Turn. It DOES get useful Flying status moves in Defog, Tailwind, and Roost, though. Except for the Defog part, of course. Whatever status moves it has, there is some other Pokemon that can use them better, and then some. The thing is clearly meant to be an offensive Pokemon, even getting a +10 Attack boost going into Gen 6. It can't do anything with it though, except be more likely to die to Foul Play. I know that's what I wish would happen to Unfezant. I can at least hope it tastes alright. Things don't look good, though, as I'm not a big fan of bird meat in general unless you coat it in some unhealthy goop and deep fry it.

Also, Smogon cares so little about Unfezant that they didn't even add its movepool to the bottom of its BW page

Here's a Pokemon that's even worse than Unfezant that luckily isn't required on the Alola Pokedex - Watchog.

No powerful moves in its movepool, apart from Giga Impact which has consequences. The last move it learns in its level-up movepool is Slam: which is only 80 base power and 75% accuracy! Completely outclassed by Hyper Fang, which has the same power but more accuracy. Mind you, we all used this as one of our HM slaves in BW, but now they're gone in Alola, what can you do now?

Their abilities are worthless, but the worst one is Illuminate which increases wild encounter rate: Not ideal if you're trying to breeze through adventure mode with it.

Finally, just look at it. A lazy design indeed.

Unova's original Pokedex was bizarre to say the least. I guess their attempt to recapture the heart of Kanto's pokedex was taken too literally, and they copied over the holes as well.

Almost all the pokemon suffer from shallow movepools, a large portion evolve super late, and about 80% of the early game 'mons are really inferior until about the mid-point (about when you get to the desert of gamebreakers, depending on your opinion).

While having later 'mons be better than your early game is common design, few pokemon games actually have it this restrictive. Usually one of the early gamers tends to be much better than advertised, or at least serviceable but in this game that really only applies to Stoutland. Even the starters are a bit underclassed this time around, with Lilligant, Leavanny, Sawk, and Darmanitan being much easier to use than Emboar and Serperior. Samurott barely avoids it just by having the highest special attack of any Unova water type.

Not saying "the whole Unova pokedex is bad" because it isn't. But in another thread Codraroll was talking about the danger of front loading so many good 'mons but I'd point to Black and White as the danger of doing the opposite.

Unova's original Pokedex was bizarre to say the least. I guess their attempt to recapture the heart of Kanto's pokedex was taken too literally, and they copied over the holes as well.

Almost all the pokemon suffer from shallow movepools, a large portion evolve super late, and about 80% of the early game 'mons are really inferior until about the mid-point (about when you get to the desert of gamebreakers, depending on your opinion).

While having later 'mons be better than your early game is common design, few pokemon games actually have it this restrictive. Usually one of the early gamers tends to be much better than advertised, or at least serviceable but in this game that really only applies to Stoutland. Even the starters are a bit underclassed this time around, with Lilligant, Leavanny, Sawk, and Darmanitan being much easier to use than Emboar and Serperior. Samurott barely avoids it just by having the highest special attack of any Unova water type.

Not saying "the whole Unova pokedex is bad" because it isn't. But in another thread Codraroll was talking about the danger of front loading so many good 'mons but I'd point to Black and White as the danger of doing the opposite.
I can't remember who said it, but there was a hypothesis on here that the designers probably thought they'd have some of the early-game filler mons from other gens at first. (ie Geodude in Wellspring Cave, maybe Magikarp in the water) and that's why there are some interesting early-game mons like Blitzle or Darumaka or Drilbur and then either blatant knockoffs or trash like Roggenrola or Watchog. It's also why the mid-late game mons look so much better or have more balanced movepools and interesting concepts (Litwick, Joltik/Tynamo, Druddigon). Can't explain why the starters are so bad.

They fucked over a lot of Unova Pokemon on movepools, to a point where it had to be intentional. It's like they wanted to compensate for unlimited TMs but couldn't bring themselves to change the movepools of older Pokemon so they took it out on the new ones.

I found this refreshing compared to gen 4. There's a bunch of Pokémon from gen 4 that I want to use in a playthrough but never felt the need to because of how strong the early route ones are.

I believe Unova was just designed to be more difficult. Late evolutions contribute to that. Late game, it's not like say Sun and Moon's Jangmo-o where you capture a pre-evo really late game and it only takes a Rare Candy to evolve it. You have to earn all of that. The movepools surely do suck and cases like Unfezant are inexcusable. However, I can't think of many other moves you could reasonably add to movepools like Lilligant's or Klinklang's.

I found this refreshing compared to gen 4. There's a bunch of Pokémon from gen 4 that I want to use in a playthrough but never felt the need to because of how strong the early route ones are.
While I understand the sentiment for B2W2 or Kalos or Alola, what exactly is so OP about early game Gen4?

Sure there's Staraptor and the starters, but that's really it. Diamond and Pearl were notorious for a weak Pokedex (only two fire types) and while Platinum balanced this a bit it didn't cure it. And you certainly can't be talking about HG/SS.

I know Shinx is popular, but it wasn't a gamebreaker (slow and no physical electric moves). Gible is mid-game (in Platinum, late game for D/P), and Budew is just okay.

So who are you talking about?

While I understand the sentiment for B2W2 or Kalos or Alola, what exactly is so OP about early game Gen4?

Sure there's Staraptor and the starters, but that's really it. Diamond and Pearl were notorious for a weak Pokedex (only two fire types) and while Platinum balanced this a bit it didn't cure it. And you certainly can't be talking about HG/SS.

I know Shinx is popular, but it wasn't a gamebreaker (slow and no physical electric moves). Gible is mid-game (in Platinum, late game for D/P), and Budew is just okay.

So who are you talking about?
Not to totally content your points, but Shinx learns Spark at 17 in DP (13 in Platinum, iirc) and Thunder Fang later on. It's still slow, but it does get strong Electric options.

Luxray isn't game breaking. It's just a viable option early game. Its movepool and sparse and can sometimes be difficult to work with, and it's pretty frail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)