VGC Winter Sun (300th Post RMT)

(credit to the respective artists for their amazing artwork i used for this banner)

Introduction

Hey all, it’s Draconid with a new RMT :D
This is my 300th post here on smogon, and by complete coincidence, my 200th post on the other teams RMT forum, so i hope you enjoy.
If you don’t know me, I rate VGC teams quite often and have recently set up this thread to help those who are interested build successful vgc 2016 teams if you're stuck for ideas or just want to see some successful sample teams from regionals etc. To let you in on a bit of a secret, there's a new vgc thread that might be appearing soon on the competitive discussion forum, so watch this space :)
For my 300th post i thought i might share with you a team that i've been wanting to build on my AS cartridge for a while.
This is a team inspired by Salamenace/Eakes' team that was originally posted on nugget bridge, and i thought i should try it out, and it's turned out to be pretty fun to use so far.

Teambuilding Process

I knew i wanted to use these two mons accompanied by a gravity user, going by their offensive capabilities and that there are a tonne of Gengar/Crobat RayOgre teams floating round atm. Not many people are prepared for teams like this, which can be surprisingly helpful in Bo1. However, this core is not without its issues, and i tried to rectify this with the rest of the team

After reading through Salamenace/Eakes' team report, i instantly knew i wanted to try out Meowstic-M as this team's gravity user. Prankster gravity can be devastating when combined with Kyurem-White's blizzard, allowing it to in some cases sweep through entire unprepared teams. Meowstic also gets access to the safeguard+swagger combo, which not only benefits primal groudon and mega kangaskhan but also completely shuts down smeargle, which is pretty fun to watch

I knew i wanted to use Kangaskhan as this team's mega, as it is the perfect partner for meowstic when setting up TR. Fake out support combined with inner focus allows it to let meowstic set up TR against tricky opposition. Safeguard+Swagger support allows kangaskhan to sweep through the opponent's team whilst meowstic prepares for the groudon switch once kangaskhan is down.

Smeargle was the next pokemon that i knew i wanted on the team, also inspired by Salamenace/Eakes' report, as it can be used to devastating effect if gravity is up. This also helps against opposing primal kyogre and xerneas given its move choices.

To round out the team, i chose talonflame here to benefit my fast mode with tailwind support, as well as priority offence in and out of trick room. This also allows me to tech pranksters and alike with quick guard support. Talonflame also helps against xerneas and primal groudon, which is another pretty cool perk to using it.

This team is far from perfect, so I'm looking for some good pointers to help me out with the team's weaknesses.

The Team In Depth

Groudon-Primal

Ability: Desolate Land
Level: 50
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 4 SpA / 220 SpD
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 156 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch / Overheat / Flamethrower
- Substitute / Rock Slide
- Protect

Summary
So, Groudon. I wanted to go for a bulky TR variant, given that Meowstic is going to be boosting its already enourmous base 180 Atk. I'm stuck between the two spreads listed, but i'm leaning towards the second one which gives groudon a bunch of bulk. You've probably seen these spreads if I've rated your team before; the first EV spread capitalises on offence, and will allow groudon to survive an earth power from max special attack timid Primal Groudon and an earthquake from max attack adamant choice banded Landorus-T. The second spread is a LOT more bulky, and will allow groudon to survive an earth power from max special attack positive natured primal groudon and a single target precipice blades from max attack positive natured primal groudon, which is really handy in a lot of games. As for move choices, precipice blades is pretty standard on a gravity team like this, and with fire punch, it forms a powerful physical combo along with safeguard+swagger meowstic. Fire punch is kinda naff without safeguard+swagger however, and it gets recoil from ferrothorn, so overheat/flamethrower are other moves i like to use in this slot. As for the third slot, i'm stuck between substitute and rock slide. Sub is really helpful, giving the opponent something to think about on the last turn of TR, when i predict a double protect, but Rock slide is a great coverage move for Ho-Oh and alike, so i guess it's a matter of testing

Kyurem-White

Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 100 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Flare

Summary
Kyurem-White is an absolute monster. I've loved the design of the two kyurem forms since their release, and the sheer power they have access to is fantastic. The EV spread is one of many borrowed from that team report, and is fantastic imo. This maxes out kyurem-w's offensive potential whilst still maintaining a fantastic speed tier, outspeeding max speed crobat, with the rest in bulk to round out the spread. As for moves, Blizzard is pretty obvious given the kyurem-w/meowstic lead combo; Draco Meteor is another pretty mandatory STAB for getting focused damage on stuff like mega rayquaza, primal kyogre/groudon etc. Ice beam is another pretty mandatory STAB on kyurem-w, as if meowstic doesn't have the chance to set up gravity then kyurem-w can attack regardless. Fusion Flare was my last choice, as it can handle steel types such as ferrothorn/scizor well without groudon on the field.

Meowstic-M

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick Room
- Gravity
- Safeguard
- Swagger

Summary
Meowstic is vital to the team's success. I don't think there has been a game that i haven't lead with it, and it pays off 9 times out of 10. Being able to set up any one of its strategies is invaluable support to the rest of the team, and i really don't think i could do without it. Some of the only things so far that i have found to really threaten it are powerful attackers like yveltal, rayquaza etc and opposing fake out users, both of which can be handled by the rest of the team. The EVs were again borrowed from the team report, and they allow meowstic to survive a couple things: A double-edge from jolly kang (which is super important) and an eruption from timid primal groudon. There are a couple other minor things like a water spout from timid primal kyogre and a dragon ascent from mega rayquaza which overall give meowstic surprisingly respectable bulk. Mental Herb allows meowstic to face down several other wise challenging opponents like encore users as well as the bulk of taunt users in this meta.

Kangaskhan-Mega

Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 188 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Summary
Pretty standard moves with a less than standard EV spread. These EVs allow kangaskhan to outspeed timid max speed smeargle before it mega evolves, allowing it to safely fake out whilst going mega the next turn. I chose to run this speed stat to optimise the fact that i want kangaskhan to work equally well in both TR and Tailwind. The bulk investment will allow kangaskhan to survive a low kick from jolly kangaskhan, with the rest in attack, which is a decent investment in most cases. Fake out support is really crucial to the team's success, as kangaskhan allows meowstic to lead against potentially tough opponents, and along with its inner focus ability allows kangaskhan to face down opponents like faster fake out users as well as other kangsakhan.

Smeargle

Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 16 Spe
- Dark Void
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Transform

Summary
Ah, Smeargle. I'm kinda on the fence about banning dark void, since it can be really annoying for either me or my opponent, especially if meowstic doesn't get a gravity up. However, smeargle does retain its place on this team as team annoyer, given that wide guard is pretty unexpected (I have had opponents directly ask whether this was scarf or not for carrying wide guard, which was pretty fun), and transform can be pretty clutch at the best and worst of times, allowing smeargle to transform into groudon at will as well as the opponent if smeargle is left out on the field. A cool thing about transform is that smeargle can transform into a sleeping pokemon without receiving any status problems whilst retaining stat boosts. A secondary fake out is often pretty useful on the team, allowing groudon to catch a free turn to set up a sub or get some damage off. The EV spread is again stolen from the report, and is pretty good for smeargle's role on the team. Max HP/Def with relaxed improves smeargle's matchup vs kangaskhan infinitely, as it no longer needs to rely on moody boosts to catch a 2HKO from double-edge. The 16 Speed IVs allow it to outspeed primals in tailwind as well as outspeeding min speed cresselia whilst under TR.

Talonflame

Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

Summary
This is my favourite set for talonflame on a TR team. The EVs are where this set's strength lies, surviving a brave bird from most opposing talonflame, whilst being able to get the OHKO with its own. The HP EVs will minimise life orb recoil by reaching a stat of 159 at level 50 which fits the 10n-1 rule. The speed EVs are really the crux to this spread however, as it allows talonflame to outspeed jolly mega kangaskhan outside TR so that it can avoid sucker punches and quick guard up against its fake out. This speed will also mean that talonflame can outspeed opposing talonflame inside TR, which almost guarantees that i win the matchup in most conditions. The rest of the EVs are enough to fill out Atk and SpD pretty much perfectly. The moveset is pretty standard, tailwind and quick guard are vital support to this team's success.

Importable

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpA / 156 SpD
Brave Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Overheat
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 100 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Flare

Meowstic (M) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick Room
- Gravity
- Safeguard
- Swagger

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 188 Atk / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 16 Spe
- Dark Void
- Fake Out
- Wide Guard
- Transform

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 4 SpD / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- Quick Guard

So that's the team!
Hope you've enjoyed reading, and i look forward to your feedback :)

Draconid out.​

Last edited:
All I have to say is earth power over blizzard on Kyurem-W, as it gives the fire coverage your team so desperatily needs! Seriously, this team is AWESOME!
But I will pick the moves you don't know what to use yet
•First EV spread you have on groudon (max attack)
•Fire punch on groudon
•Rock slide over sub on groudon
That's it! This is seriously amazing!

All I have to say is earth power over blizzard on Kyurem-W, as it gives the fire coverage your team so desperatily needs! Seriously, this team is AWESOME!
But I will pick the moves you don't know what to use yet
•First EV spread you have on groudon (max attack)
•Fire punch on groudon
•Rock slide over sub on groudon
That's it! This is seriously amazing!
Thanks for the rate man, i'll try out your suggestions but i think i'll use earth power over fusion flare given that blizzard does a substantial chunk to groudon already

I love this team. I've had a lot of success with James Eakes/Patrick Smiths team from Anaheim. Great team and great post as usual!

I am curious what made you want to risk speed ties with the level 50 Groudon as opposed to the level 49 one used on the original team?

Also totally agree with your choice of Blizzard and Earth Power, as in my experience, using Fusion Flare almost always put me in a terrible position. Blizzard + Gravity is kind of a staple of this type of team anyways. What are your answers to Weavile though? As that is the only Pokémon that outright destroyed the team with knock off.

Last edited:
I love this team. I've had a lot of success with James Eakes/Patrick Smiths team from Anaheim. Great team and great post as usual!

I am curious what made you want to risk speed ties with the level 50 Groudon as opposed to the level 49 one used on the original team?

Also totally agree with your choice of Blizzard and Earth Power, as in my experience, using Fusion Flare almost always put me in a terrible position. Blizzard + Gravity is kind of a staple of this type of team anyways. What are your answers to Weavile though? As that is the only Pokémon that outright destroyed the team with knock off.
Level 49 groudon is something i may use in future :) its a very interesting mon, just i only have a lv 100 groudon from theorymon so... Anyway thanks for pointing out weavile, i can see it being a problem, although talonflame kinda handles it okay (admittedly having lower speed means no quick guard for fake out)
I guess a lead of kang/talonflame could work, dodging fake out with inner focus and getting a BB off whilst faking out the other opposing mon

Nice man! Congrats on 300 posts! n_n

There's not anything I see that is really wrong with the team. (I might have to steal this like I did your other one tee-hee)

Hey! I have lurked on this site for a while but this is my first post so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. I used this team yesterday and I absolutely love it. One thing I did notice though was that in some situations when I wanted to lead smeargle kang I missed having meowstic's gravity in the back because I brought groudon and kyurem. Have you considered putting gravity on smeargle also to maintain that strategy when you didn't bring meowstic? Just a thought and it might be totally wrong

Hey! I have lurked on this site for a while but this is my first post so let me know if I'm doing anything wrong. I used this team yesterday and I absolutely love it. One thing I did notice though was that in some situations when I wanted to lead smeargle kang I missed having meowstic's gravity in the back because I brought groudon and kyurem. Have you considered putting gravity on smeargle also to maintain that strategy when you didn't bring meowstic? Just a thought and it might be totally wrong
Glad you like the team man :)
Gravity smeargle is definitely an interesting option, so by all means try it out and see if it works, personally i wouldnt but i see your point
Also recently i changed talonflame to mawile for extra support vs xerneas and rayquaza, which in theory sounds nice
Best of luck :)

Glad you like the team man :)
Gravity smeargle is definitely an interesting option, so by all means try it out and see if it works, personally i wouldnt but i see your point
Also recently i changed talonflame to mawile for extra support vs xerneas and rayquaza, which in theory sounds nice
Best of luck :)
Since your profile is private, I may as well ask you here. Are you competing in the actual VGC tournimates? If so, can you tell me your name so I can cheer you on?

Also there was a cool TR Mega Mawile spread that i made that just solidifies some matchups with some calcs that I just wanted to share here, it might go elsewhere though:

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 228 HP / 164 Atk / 52 Def / 60 SpD = 504 EVs -> Good for investment if you go Adamant Nature
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Defensive
  • +2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Dazzling Gleam vs. 228 HP / 60 SpD Mega Mawile: 67-79 (43.5 - 51.2%) -- 6.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile: 66-79 (42.8 - 51.2%) -- 7% chance to 2HKO
  • -1 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile: 44-53 (28.5 - 34.4%) -- 4.3% chance to 3HKO
  • 76+ SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 228 HP / 60 SpD Mega Mawile in Heavy Rain: 130-154 (84.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
    252 SpA Primal Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 228 HP / 60 SpD Mega Mawile in Heavy Rain: 133-157 (86.3 - 101.9%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
  • -1 252 Atk Primal Groudon Fire Punch vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile in Harsh Sun: 132-156 (85.7 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile: 64-77 (41.5 - 50%) -- Miniscule chance to 2HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile: 44-52 (28.5 - 33.7%) -- Miniscule chance to 3HKO
  • -1 252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile: 132-156 (85.7 - 101.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 212 Atk Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 228 HP / 52 Def Mega Mawile: 134-158 (87 - 102.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (Jon Hu)
  • 252+ SpA Palkia Earth Power vs. 228 HP / 60 SpD Mega Mawile: 124-146 (80.5 - 94.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Offensive
  • 164+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 252-296 (124.7 - 146.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 164+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Rayquaza: 270-320 (149.1 - 176.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 164+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Yveltal: 284-336 (141.2 - 167.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 164+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 148-175 (84 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 164+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Primal Kyogre: 99-117 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • -1 164+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 90-106 (49.7 - 58.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)