Wimpod, Golisopod Discussion

I think the change in flavor text has to do with its change in stats and moveset upon evo.

In Wimpod form it can't make use of its natural talent of running away when dealing with danger, it just runs in fear.
In Golisopod form it's trained/evolved to turn this weakness into a strength, as now thanks to its moveset and stats it's ability is actually extremely tactical.

Same ability yes but because Golisopod is so drastically different from Wimpod the ability becomes an entirely different beast for it.

while i like its ability and all it pertains, and certainly not shitty on purpose like truant and slow start... it can easily be removed in doubles by a teammate,... now, lets remember certain other water bug type with shitty attack stats but a great ability that just by chance, happens to learn entertainment....

Now, just Imagine 80 BP aquajets and 170 BP liquidations plus STAB now coming from Golisopod attack...

You know actually water monotypes in doubles are looking kinda scary, with buffed rain setter and all

Had a though about having a Wish user throw up a Wish and U-Turn/Volt Switch into Golisopod to catch the wish, healing any residual damage and any damage taken from the switch.

Had a though about having a Wish user throw up a Wish and U-Turn/Volt Switch into Golisopod to catch the wish, healing any residual damage and any damage taken from the switch.
The idea I had was one, pair him with a wish user with U-turn or volt switch, and pair him with someone like pangoro with the dark z-stone. Z-parting shot fully heals the switch in addition to its usual effects. That would be of great use to golisipod, coming in fully healed with a greatly weakened opponent. It'd actually be even better to pair him with a magic bounce user, since with all that switching, plus the rock weakness goli has, you'll want to get keep hazards off the field. Espeon provides a magic bounce user,could provide wish support and cleric support, and is capable of baton passing substitutes or boosts as well, it might be a decent partner. Pelipper would probably be a great partner, setting rain to boost his water moves, the ability to clear the field of hazards, and a slow U-turn to bring goli in.

Last edited:
The fact that First Impression is called, well, First Impression, sounds more like Golisopod is still a loser but thinks it has a better chance of convincing people it is totally radical.
It is definitely funny to think that this badass looking samurai-like bug is a huge coward in the inside.

Then on the other hand we have Pyukumuku who is a cute little thingy who slaps opponents with its internal organs. Or so it would if it had any damaging moves.

based on everything I read about every pokemon. This gen has a lot of oddballs with strange, unique, or niche tactics. Makes it more fun to play them at least.

It is definitely funny to think that this badass looking samurai-like bug is a huge coward in the inside.

Then on the other hand we have Pyukumuku who is a cute little thingy who slaps opponents with its internal organs. Or so it would if it had any damaging moves.
Well it basically uses counter and a much more powerful/weaker version of aftermath as its ability so pyukumuku will be something to play with.

This pokemon, Wishiwashi, Mimikyu and pyukumuku (less so than the others) are just proving that Gamefreak is getting better at making gimmick mons. Emergency exit basically destroys any hopes for this pokemon setting up but I don't think that's what it's built for. It's built to widdle something down enough that one of your revenge killers can finish the job. If first impressions doesn't knock something down far enough for aqua jet to kill in the first place. It's a weird gimmick but one with a lot of niches. This boi getting priority makes this all the more intriguing.

More so, it can first impressions, then set up spikes and if it doesn't get emergency exitted it can set another layer or aqua jet the poke. With this things bulk it can set up spikes pretty reliably on most physical attackers that don't carry super effective moves.

This pokemon, Wishiwashi, Mimikyu and pyukumuku (less so than the others) are just proving that Gamefreak is getting better at making gimmick mons. Emergency exit basically destroys any hopes for this pokemon setting up but I don't think that's what it's built for. It's built to widdle something down enough that one of your revenge killers can finish the job. If first impressions doesn't knock something down far enough for aqua jet to kill in the first place. It's a weird gimmick but one with a lot of niches. This boi getting priority makes this all the more intriguing.

More so, it can first impressions, then set up spikes and if it doesn't get emergency exitted it can set another layer or aqua jet the poke. With this things bulk it can set up spikes pretty reliably on most physical attackers that don't carry super effective moves.
at well over 800 pokemon, there aren't many tactics outside of gimmick pokemon that are available. I guess that's why it seems like they focused on designs a lot. Unless z-moves really stand out and make some of this generations pokemon sole powerhouses, there aren't any high tier pokemon outside of the tapus and the Ultra beasts look like their more geared towards competitive play with massive stats born to min/max, which I don't usually enjoy(probably a huge reason competitive play isn't my shtick either). Who knows, maybe these pokemon are more designed to increase the number of pokemon used regularly in competitive play. The z-moves are clearly an attempt to do that even without the interviews so who knows, maybe the meta will be a lot more fluid then we recognize.

I'm starting to realize I may be going off on tangents and its also 4 am. If you feel like continuing this conversation I'll reply at some point if you do reply.

I fully welcome more gimmick Pokemon, they're incredibly fun. It's just a shame Game Freak goes out of their way to intentionally nerf these gimmicks. Pyukumuku having high defenses and 50 base HP makes its gimmick worthless, Wishiwashi's base speed, and generally odd stat distributions for their gimmicks. Godpod looks sweet though, can't wait to use it.

I don't think First Impression is meant to be Golisopod convincing anyone of anything. Rather Golisopod is based on the Giant Isopod a notorious creature on the internet for looking like a lovecraftian horror at first glance. But in reality once you get over their initial horrifying "I come from your nightmares about the ocean" appearance they are actually quite adorable. They are so popular and "cute" in Japan that Japan produces plushies of them to sell. My guess if the idea behind First Impression is that. It comes out, people are caught off guard by how terrifying it looks, and while paralyzed by fear they get punched in the face snapping them out of the fear when they realize they are still alive.

Anyway I also welcome gimmick pokemon they are a lot more interesting and fun then general power/speed creep pokemon we've been getting. Alola really went all out with them and it's interesting on how a lot of them have at first glance lackluster stats but then their abilities help make up for it in big ways like Araquanid. It's a shame that Wishiwashi is designed to be the slacking/regigigas of this gen with incredible stats in its transformed state but it's HP and Speed are designed to limit it.

It helps that they are introducing far less new Pokémon in each generation. If you ask, that is how it should have been from Gen 2 ownards. Less new Pokémon, but with a lot more species with fun and unique gimmicks. Well, sadly there is no changing the past, so hopefully they stick to this strategy for the future generations, because IMO, it is working.

I don't think First Impression is meant to be Golisopod convincing anyone of anything. Rather Golisopod is based on the Giant Isopod a notorious creature on the internet for looking like a lovecraftian horror at first glance. But in reality once you get over their initial horrifying "I come from your nightmares about the ocean" appearance they are actually quite adorable. They are so popular and "cute" in Japan that Japan produces plushies of them to sell. My guess if the idea behind First Impression is that. It comes out, people are caught off guard by how terrifying it looks, and while paralyzed by fear they get punched in the face snapping them out of the fear when they realize they are still alive.

Anyway I also welcome gimmick pokemon they are a lot more interesting and fun then general power/speed creep pokemon we've been getting. Alola really went all out with them and it's interesting on how a lot of them have at first glance lackluster stats but then their abilities help make up for it in big ways like Araquanid. It's a shame that Wishiwashi is designed to be the slacking/regigigas of this gen with incredible stats in its transformed state but it's HP and Speed are designed to limit it.
I don't think a giant xenomorph slapping someone in the face would change their first impression of it in the slightest.

Its Sun Pokedex entry also supports this.

It battles skillfully with its six arms, but spends most of its time peacefully meditating in caves deep beneath the sea.

It looks intimidating, but it's in fact a peaceful creature.

You have to consider that Pokedex entries shouldn't really be trusted. Yus, they are nice trivia, but many of the entries either don't make any sense (read: one of Kadabra's Gen III entries) or they are contradicted by other in-game stuff.

It does look peaceful, though, even when in battle.

You have to consider that Pokedex entries shouldn't really be trusted. Yus, they are nice trivia, but many of the entries either don't make any sense (read: one of Kadabra's Gen III entries) or they are contradicted by other in-game stuff.

It does look peaceful, though, even when in battle.
I mean, the entries that are nonsensical are generally easy to distinguish from the ones that can be trusted. Like, when it talks about "this Pokemon was made when ___", if the event is a one-time thing, then it's probably safe to assume it's more of a myth than a regular occurrence (like Froslass being created out of a woman who was lost in a snowstorm).

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm quite enamored with Golisopod. 140 base Def with Ground resist, Spikes, and good HP already gives it an OU-worthy niche. That movepool is pretty godlike, too: STAB Scald, an Ice Beam that 2HKOs both Defensive Lando and Garchomp, Leech Life, SD, plenty of viable priority, and an ability that makes it the perfect sac for offensive teams. Its early hazard game is actually fucking amazing with all of those things going for it. Chomp and Lando can't even activate Emergency Exit before you can get a layer up unless they're LO Stone Edge, so I'm not seeing much stop it from laying its hazards unless our new removers are equally viable.

Wow, first impression is good, I'm going to like this thing. Idk how I didn't see this thing before. I really like the stat spread, the typing and the movepool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)