Wimpod, Golisopod Discussion

in doubles it may have some niches, besides trick room... im pretty sure this thing could enjoy having either emolga or rimbombee speed, and the enemy wont enjoy having this thing speed... AV and leech life can certainly work, and rimbombee probably would be capable of getting rid of emergency exit with skill swap (like gettin rid of slaking truant) and maybe even using it itself for pivot (since is not forme changing like schooling or potentially broken like wonderguard).

Plus, wonder if zoroark disguise as could ensure some interesting first turn redirection?

Been lurking for a bit. Decided to join. I have a question relating to Golisopod's ability. If you had a Red Card attached to it, what would go off first assuming Golisopod went below 50% health from the opponent's attack? Would Red Card activate, forcing my opponent to switch Pokémon, then Golisopod's ability allowing me to pick a Pokémon to counter their switch in? Cause wow that sounds way more fun than an Assault Vest or Choice build.

A friend just sent me this picture. His Golisopod (Seltas Queen) got under half health from full HP and wasn't switched out. This also wasn't the first time it happened, either.

So there might be more to this ability than we thought.

EDIT- Nvm it's because you can't run from Totems, derp.
Kiss your friend from me for that marvelous nickname for this thing.

I think this thing will be able to be good with all that priority moves. It certainly needs first impression and aqua jet and sucker punch is good for coverage priority. Then I guess leech life or liquidation are two fillers, leech life gets its hp back which could give it another turn to stay in, especially on physical attackers as its physical defense is high, but liquidation gives it strong water stab and a chance at lowering defense which may be cool combined with aqua jet and sucker punch. The item is the trickiest part on this thing, obiously you should not use a choice item on this thing because then its best move will suck. Im thinking of life orb to maximize damage but then you are easier wimped out, but maybe that isnt even a bad thing. Assaultvest makes it bulky on the special side which makes it wimped out less. Actually I think that being wimped out is not bad because it can use its first impression again. Altough if there are hazards on the field then it may be more problematic.

Say you take 75% damage, does Emergency Exit activate the instant you get below 50% or do you take the full 75%?

Could keep you from ever being KOd while above 50% if it happens instantly.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
You'd take the full 75%.

Golisopod actually looks pretty good. Emergency Exit with its low Speed basically gives it a slow U-turn, which seems pretty powerful for grabbing momentum. First Impression is a kinda-sorta U-turn that lets it take a hit for its teammate, and would be a good way to switch in squishy teammates. You could also use it to set up a teammate's Swords Dance sweep or something.

Leech Life will probably be important for staying healthy and reactivating Emergency Exit when at low health. Aqua Jet seems like a must-have as well. There are some interesting moves for the last slot, such as Liquidation, Sucker Punch, Spikes, and Poison Jab. That's about it, though. It might be able to use Swords Dance, but it seems kinda stuck with its gimmick.

Can anyone confirm with certainty that First Impression has priority like Fake Out, or is this speculation?

Also, to any mods: A thread with new attacks would be wonderful. This would help the community become familiarized with the new attacks, who learns them, what they do, and the more intricate mechanics behind them. I have yet to find any comprehensive info on all new moves in a single place besides data dump links a scarcely find.
Ctrl+F "First Impression" in the move data paste bin. Yes, it gets priority, and +2 at that. https://paste.ee/r/mvJ70

I see a lot of users with the idea that Golisopod sweeps needs to be a bit more on the sweeper side but I agree with the Assault Vest post. This thing with an Assault Vest becomes very bulky in both defenses and has enough priority to never care about its speed. A hit and run set seems for the best, kinda similar to what mega Lopunny does spamming Fake Out. Use it as a heavy hitter that comes in, hits hard and fast then either switch or wait for the ability. Have in mind that ZParting Shot heals the mon to 100, so it can re-use the ability.

Golisopod
Assault Vest
First Impression
Aqua Jet
Sucker Punch
Leech Life

Haven't posted here since DPP. Alola, everyone! It feels good to be back.

I have to say though, I'm disappointed by Golisopod. I get that he's meant to be played around his ability and First Impression. I'm sure the competitive scene will find some interesting uses for him. But I was really looking forward to using him in my playthrough, and it seems like his ability (combined with his low speed) would just be a hindrance there. That's a shame, because I love his design so much. I wish he'd gotten a more straightforward secondary or hidden ability, like Tough Claws or Intimidate, to give him some options.

That said, the reveal that he's still a giant wimp and just pretending his retreats are tactical now...that was pretty great.

Haven't posted here since DPP. Alola, everyone! It feels good to be back.

I have to say though, I'm disappointed by Golisopod. I get that he's meant to be played around his ability and First Impression. I'm sure the competitive scene will find some interesting uses for him. But I was really looking forward to using him in my playthrough, and it seems like his ability (combined with his low speed) would just be a hindrance there. That's a shame, because I love his design so much. I wish he'd gotten a more straightforward secondary or hidden ability, like Tough Claws or Intimidate, to give him some options.

That said, the reveal that he's still a giant wimp and just pretending his retreats are tactical now...that was pretty great.
The speed isnt a problem in the game playthrough, since this generation pretty much has its own "speed tier" of really slow 'mons anyways. Golisopod is a scary beast with high bulk and attack and since the EVs you get during a playthrough are pretty random (unless you use the training thing), he will probably still outspeed opposing Pokémon. His ability IS useful in a playthrough, since if you leave it against a Pokémon and the latter pulls out some coverage, you will be able to switch him out for a better matchup (considering if you play without the ability to swap mons when a trainer is about to send one) You might reconsider picking him up.

I'm definitely leaning towards either an AV Pivot set, or a Bulky Wallbreaker set:

Golisopod @ Leftovers
EVs: ?HP/252 Atk/? SpDef
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-First Impression
-Aqua Jet
-Sucker Punch/Leech Life/Liquidation/???

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
... Well at least they changed the Ability's name so that it makes sense. Though at the same time why didn't they just give both Emergency Exit? What's the point of Wimp Out if both do the same thing and Emergency Exit sounds more encompassing? Maybe if they retreated at certain HP amounts, like Emergancy Exit could be at 25% but its too late now.

Slow, high Attack, and bulky. Not surprised, and hopefully the bulkiness would keep it from retreating at unwanted moments (though still, it'll have a difficult time coming back in due to Stealth Rocks).

While it has options for Water STAB, but not so sure for Bug-type STAB. Sure First Impression has priority, but after the first turn it does nothing. Meanwhile X-Scissor and Leech Life is just 10 Power lower and can be used any time; no priority but Leech Life can heal (which means less likely to flee). It has some coverage with Slash/Return, Sucker Punch, Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Shadow Claw, Payback, Rock Slide, and Poison Jab. Not really much utility, there's Sand Attack, Spite, Iron Defense, and Double Team (surprised no U-turn). Egg Moves you can go for Aqua Jet for another Water STAB or Spikes for more utility.

No amount of Trick Room is going to solve it retreating below half HP, though if using in Doubles a Skill Swapper could help.

Actually, I'm thinking even Bug Plate could be good on it. Boost First Impression and Leech Life, and not suffer life orb with an ability that hates residual damage.

I wonder if Emergency Exit in AAA on something like Scyther will mean Stealth Rocks make it completely useless?

What's the point of Wimp Out if both do the same thing and Emergency Exit sounds more encompassing? .
It's for humorous flavor and fun. "Wimp out" implies cowardice, while "Emergency Exit" sounds more strategic and impressive.

Basically, Golisopod is still as "cowardly" on the inside as it was when it was a Wimpod, but it puts on this facade of being a brave warrior.

Think of him as a Zapp Brannigan sort of blowhard. "Running away!? No, this is my BRILLIANT tactical retreat!"

Remember that these games are designed with entertainment in mind first and foremost.

It's for humorous flavor and fun. "Wimp out" implies cowardice, while "Emergency Exit" sounds more strategic and impressive.

Basically, Golisopod is still as "cowardly" on the inside as it was when it was a Wimpod, but it puts on this facade of being a brave warrior.

Think of him as a Zapp Brannigan sort of blowhard. "Running away!? No, this is my BRILLIANT tactical retreat!"

Remember that these games are designed with entertainment in mind first and foremost.

The only problem I'm having with this thing is deciding what moves to run on an AV set. It may be suffering from some 4MSS, mostly because it encourages double Bug moves (Leech Life/First Impression) and it's got to have that Water STAB, so that leaves one open slot. Sucker Punch for triple priority? Liquidation for power and Defense drops? Rock Slide for Gyarados and the sure to be used more Pelipper?

Honestly, I'm leaning towards Poison Jab. 30% chance to poison, which will help wear down bulky Water-Types and the like, plus SE coverage of Azumarill, Tapu Fini, Primarina, Mega Altaria, and a lot of other Fairies. Too bad that means you'll have issues with Steel-Types...Dammit, now I kinda want Brick Break. But that means Fairies would be an issue... *enters into a perpetual logic loop*

I have to wonder what goes on in the minds of GF when they made this hulking monster of an evolution yet give it an ability that makes it run like a female dog...

Stat-wise, it's pretty beast on the physical side, low on the special side (the usual case) and has some decent moves. Low base speed though, and if only it gets Shell smash it would've been perfect (yet another pokemon that looks as if it could get the move but doesnt)

I could see it having a niche in PU and NU

While I love the introduction of new abilities. GF really dropped the ball on some of them.

Running away was cute on Wimpod as it's gimmick but come on! Renaming it and giving it to it's evo ruined yet another promising poke
Swift Swim would have been better and why does this one lose speed too

I can literally count at least 7 abilities introduced THIS GEN that do the exact same thing as another ability. And why do they all get slower when they evolve? Why gamefreak? Why you do this? T_T

I can literally count at least 7 abilities introduced THIS GEN that do the exact same thing as another ability. And why do they all get slower when they evolve? Why gamefreak? Why you do this? T_T
It's because some Ability titles work better thematically with certain Mons than others do. For instance, Queenly Majesty and Dazzling can be applied to two different sets of Mons in future games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)