Project What's Their Last? PU Edition Round 5 ( Submission Phase)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
approved by Megazard Anty galbia, art by ZeitoKrabby

A long time ago, back when DPP was the current gen, and there was no team preview, the above question was often asked. You had to be prepared for anything in that last slot and use your deductive teambuilding skills to figure out just what your opponent was saving in the back. Still today, we can use these skills to better build our own teams. When building, there will be times when you have 5 perfect Pokemon. Mons that fit together so well that you just can't seem to pick a final Pokemon. Or sometimes you have a crippling weakness to a major threat and can't think of a mon that will cover it that fits the team. This project aims to let the community figure out what the best last Pokemon would be for a given team of 5.

Every round, I will post a team that is missing one Pokemon. You guys will then post suggestions for the final mon. Over the next few days, these nominations will be discussed amongst the users until voting begins. Once the vote starts, people will choose the last mon that they think fits the rest of the team best. At the end of the round, the Pokemon with the most votes will be the winner! The team will be archived, and the user who suggested the set will have his or her name alongside the team. Think of this as a lesson in team building!

RULES:
1. Standard PU forum rules apply. No flaming/antagonizing please. Also no one liners please.
2. No joke sets. Sets that are plain bad/unviable are not welcome.
3. No slashing in your suggestions. You can't have 5 moves in a battle, why here?
4. Only one nomination per person, per round. Can't suggest more than one mon.
5. No changing the other members of the team, INCLUDING SETS. Only I can change the team and movesets.
6. Voting for your own nomination is NOT ALLOWED.
7. Please PM me if you have a team you would like featured, or just want to help out. These have to come from somewhere!
8. Have Fun :toast:

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Ok you guys can post now! First team provided by Megazard

Qwilfish @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Explosion

Mesprit @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Fire
- Healing Wish

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Primeape @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- U-Turn
- Earthquake

Last edited by a moderator:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor

Carracosta @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

Special Carracosta set that helps the team against powerful normal types such as Stoutland or Zangoose (sometimes) while also acting as the wincon this team so desperately needs. Can tank physical hits early game, punching holes, and then sweep late game with Healing Wish support for Mespirit or a free switch from Qwilfish' explosion. Earth Power gets the surprise on steels while Ice Beam has a decent chance of KOing Guzzlord after Stealth Rocks (and especially after a round of poison). Sadly, this doesn't help the team in terms of hazard control, but seeing as this is an offense team it's not a necessity. Icium Z is also an option to secure the Guzz KO. Sadly, this team is still destroyed by Musharna, and must rely on Kanga to deal with Lilli.

I did special because I'm a special snowflake and also because the team would be overwhelmingly physical otherwise.

Last edited:
I feel Manetric could fit well in the last slot for a few reasons. First, it can grab momentum with Volt Switch, which will help with getting in Kangaskhan. Second, it would add another Special attacker, which you only have one of at the moment. Third, it can create a Volt-Turn core with Primeape, which, as stated in my first point, can grab momentum. In conclusion, I feel that Manetric makes a great last member for this team for its ability to grab momentum, relieving the pressure of having one special attacker, and creating a Volt-Turn core with Primeape. Edit: Oh, just have to reserve a mon? Well, this was pointless. Anyway, Manetric Reserved.

Reactions: TJ

asa

is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PU Leader

Haunter @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond

While not required, having a spinblocker on a team like this can be nice, and I feel like Haunter could potentially fill that role. The hazards chip away at Pokemon that commonly switch in on it and they turn some 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. Substitute is an option to prevent certain things like status or set-up from immediately bothering it, as well as allowing it to not get fucked by Pursuit or Sucker Punch. Taunt could work in this slot seeing as it prevents Defog along with status and set-up, but I've had more success with Substitute, and it prevents you from being completely screwed against certain Pursuit mons. It also works well in tandem with Destiny Bond, which is a good move to have in a pinch, and it can be used to create mindgames with Sucker Punch along with Sub.

Last edited:

SergioRules

||blimp||

Oricorio-Sensu @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Dancer
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind / Substitute
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Revelation Dance

Hi so the two biggest things that struck me about this team were 1) no spinblocker on a spike stack team (yeah this isn't necessary like LST says, but it's still suggested) and 2) the Primeape doesn't have Gunk Shot, so the Lilligant counterplay involves sacking at least one mon so you can wear it down with priority and Primeape's U-turn, which just doesn't seem too safe for me in case they play around Kang's Sucker Punches. Oricorio-Sensu fills both of these roles and also adds a wincon to the team since it lacks any setup. It also takes on Psychic type Pokemon which otherwise can do quite a number to this team. Flyinium Z is used to help break through bulkier Pokemon though one could also use Safety Goggles to make it an almost guaranteed switch in to Lilligant. I honestly just think this team was made for a Sensu in the last slot because it fits so well.

tl;dr
  1. Lilligant check
  2. Spinblocker
  3. Wincon
  4. Psychic check
  5. Z move user

Last edited:
Edit: RIP me. Sergio posted sensu while I was writing this post. Will change.

The way I see this team being played is set up hazards early and keep them up, break walls with kangaskhan, revenge kill with primeape, and pivot between mesprit and piloswine to soak up hits. What the team is missing is 1. a z move user and 2. a set up sweeper to take advantage of the the wallbreaking provided by kangaskhan. Lilligant fits this criteria.

Lilligant (F) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Hyper Beam

Personally I like the z-hyperbeam set here, Kangaskhan should wear down normal resists and primeape provides an answer to grass resists like ferroseed. Lilligant takes advantage of kangaskhans wallbreaking, sets up, and sweeps.
http://www.smogon.com/dex/media/sprites/xy/lilligant.gif

Last edited:

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
THAT FLYING GHOST MON THATS AN LC UBER

okay so after being alerted that the Mesprit was HP Fire and not HP Ground, I had to think quickly on my feet and decide on a mon other than Silv-Ghost. Also Tattoos was sniped and then sniped my Lilligant, but alas, I have found the best mon for the spot regardless.

Misdreavus @ Eviolite
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Hex
- Dazzling Gleam / Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp / Taunt

basically missy offers a lot in the last spot of the team. it offers spinblocking because fuck chan and komala. it offers a set up sweeper in the back which the team currently lacks. it offers a solid switch into mons like Primeape, as well as wisp. it also works well with qwilfish since hex + toxic spikes = broken. pretty bulky too so that's always good and has solid speed tier. ALSO BEATS MUSHARNA WHICH BREAKS ZARD'S TEAM.

better than haunter: bulk lets it take on stuff like chan and ape better, beats psychics like mushy better

better than sensu: bulk, wisp, bolt or gleam, no weak to rocks which is good w no removal

Last edited:

Drifblim @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Kangaskhan, Primeape and Piloswine make a good offensive core that all pressure Rock and Steel types which stop Drifblim sweeping late game. Drifblim also acts as a spin blocker to keep up hazards.

Pinsir @ Life Orb
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Pinsir is a good wincon that allows the team a few good things, such as yet another solid ground switchin, a solid fighting switchin, and something to break psychics which the team can struggle with as Mesprit lacks signal beam or shadow ball, and the only moves that hit psychics super effectively on the team are Sucker Punch from Kangaskhan, and U-Turn from scarf primeape. EQ w/ Mold Breaker also allows Pinsir to handle the Weezing+Skuntank core, which is always nice for teams.

Last edited:

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion

Lycanroc @ Rockium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Fire Fang

Lycanroc gives you a great set up sweeper that takes advantage of Primeape breaking down bulky rocks and steels, aswell as Piloswine breaking down bulky grounds. Also adds a great speedy set up sweeper that can break flying types that Primeape hates.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor

Shiftry @ Life Orb / Darkinium Z
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sucker Punch

Shiftry provides a Psychic-Resist to take on Mesprit (no switch-ins!), a Gastrodon check (who bops the whole team), a wallbreaker (whole team loses to fat pokemon + skuntank for tspikes absorber), and a setup sweeper all in one pokemon. Jolly Nature because he's running Modest Mesprit.

EDIT: slashed Darkinium Z because no Z-move. Life Orb's better but this helps vs Musharna

LordST

Dormi Bene Duce
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
Looking at the team, I see two main issues: no normal resist and a lack of a psychic check. Offensive normal types like opposing Kangaskhan and in particular Zangoose get to just spam normal STAB. Primeape can revenge them yes, but it can get easily chipped by things like Rocky Helmet Weezing or Qwilfish + hazards to the point where Quick Attack from Zangoose or Fake Out + Sucker Punch from Kangaskhan can just take care of it. The team also lacks any Psychic resist outside of Mesprit which just gets CMed on by Mesprit or Musharna. Musharna in particular can tank pretty much any attack the team can throw at it and with any decent hazard control can basically 6-0. This is how I landed on Ferroseed as my last.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Protect

Standard set here. Leech Seed puts enough pressure on Musharna that you can run out Moonlights pretty quick and setup while you are at it. Ferroseed also adds to the Spike stacking nature of the team putting further pressure on incredibly bulky mons like Type: Null or Gastro that can wall a lot of the team. It has enough bulk to take at least one hit comfortably from every normal but Pyroar which can be played around with the rest of the mons on the team.

I wanted to point out that just because the team is hazard stack doesn't mean you need a spinblocker. Every time Hitmonchan (the only common spinner in the tier) comes in to try and remove hazards, Qwilfish can come back in for free, force chip damage with Rocky Helmet, and just proceed to get hazards back up for free unless Chan has Thunder Punch which is quite uncommon atm. Just my two cents on all the ghost mons being nominated.:pimp:

SergioRules

||blimp||
Obviously I'm biased toward Oricorio, so my vote is for that but only because I don't like my Lilligant check being my own Lilligant.

Nvm I'm bad and can't read, Lilligant

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)