What UU pokemon are least common BUT have potential?

my favorite pokemon right now in uu:

Electrode@ Life Orb
Naive
4 ATK / 252 SPA / 252 SPE
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Explosion
- Sucker Punch / Taunt

i think a lot of people just look at me funny on ladder when i pull this out but right off the bat, you have a reliable revenger to swellow/scyther/etc unless they have quick attack which still probably won't ko.

Unfortunately don't outspeed Max Speed Adamant Tort after Rock Polish but i have fought so many non max speed adamant torterra that instead invested in some bulk that electrode can make a decent revenge killer in a pinch. explosion blows away chansey literally if you can predict well enough, and thunderbolt 2hkos basically anything that doesn't resist not named tomb/chansey/registeel. sucker punch is kind of filler but can be last desperation against something fast or priority with a little hp left. Taunt can stop stall teams.

i really like soundproof, as it can make stuff like roar useless (and heal bell as well but i havent run into this scenario yet)

I don't really get why I like this Pokemon so much but i have included it on all my uu teams since i started laddering and its done pretty well.

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using an anti-lead Sharpedo and it certainly kicks ass. Sharpedo has the great ability of being able to hit like a truck from either attacking stat and even has the option of running a mixed set. While it normally is only able to switch into a Magikarp Splash, putting Sharpedo in the lead slot gives it a free entry to smack things around with. Even with the banning of Froslass, one of Sharpedo's former prime targets, Sharpedo is still extremely useful as a lead. Thanks to its ungodly movepool, huge Attack and decent Special Attack, and good speed, Sharpedo can really smack around the opposing team before falling. Sharpedo is walled to hell and back by the standard defensive Milotic, which is why it is advisable to have a teammate such as Toxicroak to get free turns off Milo when it comes in.

Several items are viable on Sharpedo: Focus Sash lets Sharpedo take a hit from a faster poke and retaliate, Life Orb lets it 2HKO practically the entire meta with the correct moves, and Lum Berry saves it from an Uxie, Mesprit, or Registeel looking to Twave it.

Sharpedo's ridiculous power lets it 2HKO the popular entry hazard leads, letting them get only SR or one layer of Spikes up. I'm not sure why Sharpedo's popularity as a lead has dropped so much, because its ability to just plain inflict pain on the opposing team has not diminshed one bit. If you hate entry hazards clogging up your grill, I suggest you try out Sharpedo.

These are various sets that I've tried:

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Mild
Rough Skin
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Attack
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Aqua Jet

Sharpedo @ Focus Sash
Jolly
Rough Skin
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Taunt/Aqua Jet/Zen Headbutt/Ice Fang

Sharpedo @ Expert Belt
Modest
Rough Skin
252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, 4 HP
- HP Grass
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

What about Charge Beam over Sucker Punch/Taunt?
That way you can try and boost your sp.atk for a sweep. Electrode certainly has the speed for.

I don't really know UU that well, but I know that I have been using a lead Poliwrath (Sub, Focus Punch, Waterfall, Bulk Up) in OU with great success. I would assume hes a beast in UU as well, but I'm not familar enough with the metagame to know if he counters the common UU leads as well as he does in OU.

Drifblim
name: UU Lead
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Explosion / Destiny Bond
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Focus Sash
ability: Unburden
nature: Mild
evs: 168 Atk / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
ivs: 2 HP / 30 Atk / 2 Def / 30 SpA / 2 SpD / 30 Spe

I love using this thing. Basically, just hypnosis the lead, then attack with perfect coverage with shadow ball and hp fighting. Once you lose the focus sash, you'll have a speed of 434. When Blim's about to go, just explode in the guy's face. I've effectively crippled half of people's teams before with this.

Whats with Drifblim's ivs?

Drifblim
name: UU Lead
move 1: Hypnosis
move 2: Explosion / Destiny Bond
move 3: Shadow Ball
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting
item: Focus Sash
ability: Unburden
nature: Mild
evs: 168 Atk / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
ivs: 2 HP / 30 Atk / 2 Def / 30 SpA / 2 SpD / 30 Spe

I love using this thing. Basically, just hypnosis the lead, then attack with perfect coverage with shadow ball and hp fighting. Once you lose the focus sash, you'll have a speed of 434. When Blim's about to go, just explode in the guy's face. I've effectively crippled half of people's teams before with this.

BellyLead*
Charizard @ Salac Berry
Nature: jolly*
EV's: 252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
IV's: 30 hp
~ Belly Drum
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Punch
~ Substitute

My favorite lead right now in any tier. Works well substituting first turn while they try to set up SR or induce a status on you and fail. All it needs is to get off that first sub and then getting off the BD is easy. Earthquake and Fire punch give really good coverage, I've heard of wing attack being used as well. Major problems against opposing leads are Floatzels, Sharpedos, and priority attackers once the sub is down namely absol and cacturne. Once set up Charizard can OHKO almost anything in all tiers. Any survivors are left with a huge dent in them. In the sun fire punch will OHKO 252 hp Giratina, against an Uber team I set up on a lead Groudon and proceeded to sweep the entire team with OHKOes. The IVs are to get the salac to activate after sub and belly drum. After a week of use, I've had huge success with this lead, and putting him first also avoids ever having to get rid of SR to get him out.

BellyLead*
Charizard @ Salac Berry
Nature: jolly*
EV's: 252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
IV's: 30 hp
~ Belly Drum
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Punch
~ Substitute

My favorite lead right now in any tier. Works well substituting first turn while they try to set up SR or induce a status on you and fail. All it needs is to get off that first sub and then getting off the BD is easy. Earthquake and Fire punch give really good coverage, I've heard of wing attack being used as well. Major problems against opposing leads are Floatzels, Sharpedos, and priority attackers once the sub is down namely absol and cacturne. Once set up Charizard can OHKO almost anything in all tiers. Any survivors are left with a huge dent in them. In the sun fire punch will OHKO 252 hp Giratina, against an Uber team I set up on a lead Groudon and proceeded to sweep the entire team with OHKOes. The IVs are to get the salac to activate after sub and belly drum. After a week of use, I've had huge success with this lead, and putting him first also avoids ever having to get rid of SR to get him out.
If it's a lead how do you get sun up to OHKO Giritina? Unless the opponent has a groudon.
Also, taking away 1 HP IV takes off one HP stat, but you also have 4 HP EVs, which adds one HP stat. Why?

why did we jump from uu to ubers? anyway, bellyzard suffers from the same problems as always, milotic and priroity are certainly going to hurt, and any lead won't let you set up (a lot of have sash). I could see use vs uxie leads but i think id rather just save bellyzard for lategame with a team set around removing sr and his counters and finding a much safer time to set up - a lead position is kind of hit and miss, and i don't like that unreliability.

As kd said, the problem with leading with a belly drummer is that every team in UU carries some sort of priority. Without the sufficient support to take out those pokes earlier, charizard will at most take out the opposing lead then die to priority.

If I were to run any kind of Belly Drumming lead, I would run a Belly Drum Flame Orb Guts Hariyama with Bullet Punch and max speed Jolly. It's not like you're getting survivability anyways. You outspeed defensive Venu/Milo and OHKO with Close Combat. Frailer-yet-faster pokes are beat by Bullet Punch. Protect lets you beat Ambipom leads as they U-turn out to something else.

Just for fun:
Jolly +6 Guts CC vs 252/252+ Weezing: 105.4% - 124%. Have fun walling this with stall.

(for the record, Mach Punch and Belly Drum are illegal on Magmortar who otherwise would probably do the priority belly drum thing a bit better.)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would run a Belly Drum Flame Orb Guts Hariyama with Bullet Punch and max speed Jolly
Do you really need that Flame Orb (Do you really need that overkill attack)?? Leftovers or even Salac Berry sounds like a better idea to me.

Why use Flame Orb and Guts? Belly Drum already maxes your attack and the burn only makes Hariyama die faster. It loses 50% of its HP from Belly Drum and 12.5% each turn from the burn, which gives it only 4 turns to do its job assuming no damage from the opponent(which is unlikely). And Bullet Punch doesn't help against faster pokemon that resist it or have a priority attack either.

Alright thanks for clearing that up. But couldn't you go with the basic ivs that shoddy pre-calculates for you? Drifblim's defensive stats are 44 and 54.
I don't see why not. Just so that you lose the focus sash on practically any attack.

I don't see why not. Just so that you lose the focus sash on practically any attack.
This. In order for the set to have the most effectiveness, you want the Unburden boost from losing Focus Sash. The lower your defenses are, the easier it is for an attack to OHKO you, and lose the sash.

Drifblim @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
EV's: 12 HP / 252 Def / 124 SpA / 32 SpD / 88 Spe
Modest nature (+SpA, -Atk)

- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Fighting

Really underatted.. calm mind as much as you can then rest which activates unburden giving boosts to SpA, SpD and Speed allowing it to sweep, and hidden power fighting and shadow give perfect coverage, not resisted by anything.

also rock polish camerupt is pretty damn amazing. Immunity to WoW and TWave as well as access to fire blast earth power and explosion makes it a force to be reckoned with

Shedinja is just too difficult to keep alive. Sandstorm isn't omni-present, but it isn't that rare. Hail Stail is also run in UU. I admit it can be fun to completely wall something with a Shedinja, but it only takes one <insert any form of residual damage> to KO it. Maybe usable in NU, but not really UU.
Actually, Shedinja is a lot less viable in NU, where Hippopotas and Snover are viable as actual team members. (moreso the Hippo) Also NU loves Stalrein. With the proper setup Shedinja can sweep in the endgame.

Do you really need that Flame Orb (Do you really need that overkill attack)?? Leftovers or even Salac Berry sounds like a better idea to me.
You need it to OHKO Weezing with CC and offensive Venusaur with Bullet Punch who otherwise are not good for the set. I guesssss Salac could work but that means running Sub also and I like the whole one turn setup thing.

Anyways, my point was more that Belly Drum leads don't work :|

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
A Pokemon i find extremely good, with almost no useage at all is hitmonchan!

Hitmonchan @ Life orb
adamant / iron fist
252 atk / 252 spe / 4 hp
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Ice punch
- Thunder punch

After an agility hitmonchan is hitting enough speed to even outrun electrode according to the analysis. Meaning hes hitting above 416 speed. Not only will he be fast after setting up an agility, but this thing has been hitting like a trunk for me. 105 base attack is nothign to kid around with, but when you add in Iron Fist its really packing that extra punch. Hitmonchan is probably my new favorite pokemon in UU and im not using him on my troll accounts. Some notable team mates for him that I've been testing are Scarf Drapion and Scarf absol who both deal with annoying pyschics and ghosts. One thing that really bugs this set though is spiritomb who can take thunder/ice punch pretty heftily and WoW you back. So I've been testing Choice Band Rhyperior and Choice Specs Sceptile in tandem with this set and I've got to say that either or works. This set just needs something that will lure in spiritomb early and something that will take care of it. He also enjoys entry hazard support from my experience.

everyone needs to try this set out.

As kd said, the problem with leading with a belly drummer is that every team in UU carries some sort of priority. Without the sufficient support to take out those pokes earlier, charizard will at most take out the opposing lead then die to priority.

If I were to run any kind of Belly Drumming lead, I would run a Belly Drum Flame Orb Guts Hariyama with Bullet Punch and max speed Jolly. It's not like you're getting survivability anyways. You outspeed defensive Venu/Milo and OHKO with Close Combat. Frailer-yet-faster pokes are beat by Bullet Punch. Protect lets you beat Ambipom leads as they U-turn out to something else.

Just for fun:
Jolly +6 Guts CC vs 252/252+ Weezing: 105.4% - 124%. Have fun walling this with stall.

(for the record, Mach Punch and Belly Drum are illegal on Magmortar who otherwise would probably do the priority belly drum thing a bit better.)
As a lead, if they switch in Venusaur, you have no way of knowing if they are defensive or not, so there's a chance you choose the wrong move and die. Other than that, looks good.

Zangoose @ Salac
Adament: 252 Attack/ 252 Speed

Close combat

Substitute

Shadow claw

Swords dance.

It's a pretty simple set, get up your sub and then SD and sweep away. Ghost/Fighting is unresisted so it's a very nice set and with the Salac boost you're only fearing priority moves.

That Zangoose just isn't that good imo. You need STAB or shit like Weezing and Milotic will beat you. Ghost/Fighting is good when complemented with a STAB move, not when neither is your STAB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)