What musical instruments are you interested in playing?

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I should get back into playing the harmonica again sometime. More fun than guitar but I gave it up so quickly :(. Need to find my old C harmonica because E harmonicas don't play as many songs and that's the one I know the location of lol

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I used to play the cello when I was really young although I can no longer read sheet music or have any real clue how to play anymore. I am currently teaching myself to play guitar. I like to think I am ok at it right now, knowing around a dozen or so different chord shapes and have just been starting to pick up barre chords (a task that I deemed IMPOSSIBLE a week ago but now I know how to play the f chord and several b shapes, though I dont know the exact name). I mostly play acoustic, and would really really like to learn how to play fingerstyle, especially classical guitar.

I mostly learn through teaching myself songs instead of undergoing any sort of training regime (though I used an online course to teach me the basic E, A, and D major chords and transitioning). As such I am proud to be able to mostly play Wish You Were Here (the intro solo gives me a little trouble and some of my transitions suck but for the most part its recognizable), Over the Hills and Far Away, Imagine, parts of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Wonderful Tonight, and am currently learning Pinball Wizard (which is one of the most fun pieces I've attempted).

This is my ultimate goal although I have not even begun to start on trying this arrangement as basic rhythym gives me a headache, let alone fingerstyle

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I wanna learn to play the accordion 'cause it's a top 3 instrument; ideally both keyboard and button.

I currently am playing piano and flute. I learned recorder and have limited knowledge of clarinet, and (lol) tuba. (My friends/brother taught each other the basics). I would love to learn the piccolo, or some other high woodwind. I’m also quite bad at literally every instrument, but am forced to try them…

i dont know if it counts, but i would like to learn how to sing. its pretty much a real interest of mine since 2010 but i havent taken classses for it due to embarrassment.

other than that, i would like to play the piano and the cello the most, but i am broke so.

Already play the guitar but I would like to learn the banjo at some point, especially after finding this:

Such a different take of the banjo, playing almost a fluid melody as opposed to the normal dry sounds you would hear from the instrument.

Been playing drums for about 12 years, but I quit because of other priorities in life. The fact that it's so big/noisy makes it hard to get back into... Wish I could...

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I used to play the trumpet back in middle school and could probably pick it up again pretty easily if I wanted to but I would also really like to learn to play the guitar because I’m a fan of country music (the wagon wheel kind not the body like a backroad kind) but I would also like to learn the fiddle just because I like the song the devil went down to Georgia

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I used to play the cello when I was really young although I can no longer read sheet music or have any real clue how to play anymore. I am currently teaching myself to play guitar. I like to think I am ok at it right now, knowing around a dozen or so different chord shapes and have just been starting to pick up barre chords (a task that I deemed IMPOSSIBLE a week ago but now I know how to play the f chord and several b shapes, though I dont know the exact name). I mostly play acoustic, and would really really like to learn how to play fingerstyle, especially classical guitar.

I mostly learn through teaching myself songs instead of undergoing any sort of training regime (though I used an online course to teach me the basic E, A, and D major chords and transitioning). As such I am proud to be able to mostly play Wish You Were Here (the intro solo gives me a little trouble and some of my transitions suck but for the most part its recognizable), Over the Hills and Far Away, Imagine, parts of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Wonderful Tonight, and am currently learning Pinball Wizard (which is one of the most fun pieces I've attempted).

This is my ultimate goal although I have not even begun to start on trying this arrangement as basic rhythym gives me a headache, let alone fingerstyle
Update progress video, I have improved so much since I first made this original post and I am so happy with my progress thus far its so cool to be able to play some of my favorite songs in real life. I can't sing and play at all and I'm not sure if I really want to go down that route (I might) but I definitely want to improve my fingerstyle to a comfortable point where I feel i can play my favorite songs in an instrumental way and be able to compose my own piece. I am glad I found this style of guitar playing as traditional playing is great and all but I don't feel I am as challenged / a lot of the songs / theory I learn is kinda boring to me and stonewalls my progress at times.

So happy right now, never quit playing my friends this is such a freeing feeling :)

tcr

sage of six tabs
Another progress update!! Here's me playing two of my favorite songs that I learned specifically for Christmas time

Here Comes the Boom - DMX
Blackberry - Paul McCharmley

Don't really mean to use my personal twitter to show progress videos but I don't really post on a youtube or know of any other video streaming site like that to help record (I like to use my little clips to see / hear mistakes and what to improve on). For Christmas time I've decided to learn two songs (two amongst many I've learned...) of the Beatles, Blackbird and Here Comes the Sun. I find both of these absolutely beautiful to play and both can be played classical / without a plectrum so naturally I have been practicing them. I feel a ton more confident in my abilities and its cool to look back on older videos and sonicallly assess the progress. Soon I will start on learning the original arrangement for While my Guitar Gently Weeps that I linked in the original post in this thread. Other songs that I wish to start learning are Your Song - Elton John | Eleanor Rigby - The Beatles | Why Georgia - John Mayer | as well as a slew of other beatles tunes (I've already learned Norweigian Wood but wouldn't mind learning a fingerstyle version of that song).

My New year's resolution is to get proficient with this, as proficient as I possibly can. I foresee a long journey ahead of me in doing so, as I still have a tenuous grasp on theory (fuck I can't even read sheet music....) and play by imitation but I want to get to Tommy Emmanuel levels of playing. My other next goal (seeing as my original was just to play the ..Gently Weeps arrangement) is to get the grasp of singing and playing, which I can now do on The Beatle's Girl and Blackbird (yay!). Some issues I've noticed I've had is that it's a little hard for me to do fingerpicking the actual classical way using everything but the pinky and instead I typically rely on Index and Thumb, rarely Middle finger if its called for, almost never my Ring finger. I also can only sing songs that have words that correspond directly to the chord (like in Blackbird, how each chord change is every other word "Blackbird | singing | in the | dead of | niiiight." Over the coming days I hope to work on and improve on this.

How are you guys coming along with your playing (if you started?). Any progress from users that started from the bare bones not even knowing any theory / music related material? For those who already play, especially guitar, how long did it take you to get super comfortable with the instrument? I have been playing almost every day for the past 7 months and I find my knowledge super minimum as I still can't do barre chords correctly, I struggle on electric guitar in particular (for some reason i guess its just the "not as big a deal if you mess up" nature of the instrument but I don't like playing it as much as just picking up my acoustic and jamming away) and struggle to creatively solo or come up with my own material as everything I play sounds like a generic chord change in billions of pop songs

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I found a bunch of instruments in my Girlfriends old bedroom at her parents house, am going to unbox them and learn them.

Seems like I'm in for some sort of Oboe/Clarinet and a Viola/Violin

Will upload pics soon.

i been playing guitar and started a music channel which will just be acoustic stuff. if u wanna check it out.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Panpipe, if for no other reason than to get closer to the Ecuadorian side of my roots.

I found a bunch of instruments in my Girlfriends old bedroom at her parents house, am going to unbox them and learn them.

Seems like I'm in for some sort of Oboe/Clarinet and a Viola/Violin

Will upload pics soon.
lucky... u have a gf. i played clarinet and its boring (well it was for school so there)

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I play the piano (well, keyboard) as a hobby, but i'm not exceptionally well at it or anything. As someone who respects and admires video game music, that's what I play the most. Some VGM sounds amazing on piano :)

Morfent

formerly known as clifford the big red pawg
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
always loved playing oboe. i used to play piccolo, trumpet, clarinet, sax, piano, and drums while i was in hs. i should get back into playing music tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)