Weird Sets You've Seen on Battle Spot

This may not be THAT weird but I've seen a mega salamence carrying hyper voice/double edge/protect/tackle. Worst part is, I lost the match too.

Like a0161613 said, it has no place on a Salamance-M. It limits coverage, and is majorly outclassed. The only real reason one would use Tackle is for PP conservation, but even then, there would be far better alternatives.

Saw this on the Doubles ladder in the high 1600s - really threw me for a loop.

Stantler @ Choice Scarf (Outsped my Jolly max Speed Terrakion)
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: Unsure, probably max SAtk / Speed
-Skill Swap
-?
-?
-?

Basically, the guy paired this with a Competitive Milotic; he Skill Swapped me Intimidate which then activated, giving his Milotic the competitive boost which allowed it to sweep my team. I don't usually like losing, but dang, that was awesome.

(Incidentally, he also had Se Jun's Pachirisu to redirect Electric attacks away from Milotic.)

Last edited:
I mean, follow me is useful for more things other than electric attacks. And pachi isnt amazing but sceptile kinda blows
Yeah, to be honest, I'm not that good of a Doubles player. I should have said Lightning Rod instead.

Now that I think of it, is Rhyperior a good Lightning Rod user? I remember seeing him being mentioned.

EDIT: Or just add Sceptile and a Discharge user to go full gimmick.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Yeah, to be honest, I'm not that good of a Doubles player. I should have said Lightning Rod instead.

Now that I think of it, is Rhyperior a good Lightning Rod user? I remember seeing him being mentioned.

EDIT: Or just add Sceptile and a Discharge user to go full gimmick.
I like Rhydon more as a Lightning Rod user because Rhyperior needs Solid Rock to meet important benchmarks.

Alomomola

Protect
Toxic
Soak
scald or something

Toxic'd my assault vest Azumarill and I didn't do enough damage with anything to hurt him. I then switched in Excadrill(my last remaining pokemon), which he apparently predicted because he used Soak and then poisoned it. GG for me :(

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alomomola

Protect
Toxic
Soak
scald or something

Toxic'd my assault vest Azumarill and I didn't do enough damage with anything to hurt him. I then switched in Excadrill(my last remaining pokemon), which he apparently predicted because he used Soak and then poisoned it. GG for me :(
That's not a weird set. The last is most likely Wish.

Oooh, I got a funky set to post. I ran into this, and it actually annihilated me.

Thundurus @ ?
EVs: 252HP / 252Def? / 4SpDef?
Nature: ?
Ability: Prankster
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

And HERE'S a really weird one.

Thundurus @ Choice Band
EVs: 252HP / 252Atk / 4Spe?
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Defiant
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Fly
- ?

Yeah.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Oooh, I got a funky set to post. I ran into this, and it actually annihilated me.

Thundurus @ ?
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Thundurus @ Choice Band
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Fly
- ?

Yeah.
These sets aren't too bad! They're pretty creative. If I had to guess I'd say the item for the first was Leftovers for stalling and the nature Bold For the last set, the last move is probably Knock Off. Not sure about the 252 HP investment either, I think it'd be better to put that in Speed. Choice Band's a weird option, especially with Fly. I think Life Orb's a better option, I think Choice Band kind of hurts the main advantage of the set.

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor

Thundurus @ ?
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Protect
- Thunderbolt

Thundurus @ Choice Band
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Fly
- ?

Yeah.
Are you sure it was Defiant? HA Genies aren't supposed to be allowed in battle spot unless you are playing in XY (a small amount still appear in the ratings for Oras). The last move may have been U-turn and I would think it would be jolly max speed.

Came across a set-up sweeper Aegislash set the other day that completely caught me off guard

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy

Assuming Modest nature

252 Satk/ >100 Spd / rest in HP

Autotomize
Destiny Bond

Shadow Ball
(didn't use his fourth move, assuming it's either King's Shield or Flash Cannon)

He used the set to eat the super effective hit and prop the weakness policy as usual, but went for the Autotomize to speed up instead of trading a hit. Don't know what speed tier he was aiming for but it passed the 110 mark to outspeed my Gengar and OHKO'd him.

Sent out Mega Gyarados so I can at least resist its STAB's and handle it from there, and instead Aegislash went for the destiny bond, taking Gyarados with it to get the 2 for 1 trade and win the match.

I never thought of a speedy aegislash that can go for the sweep without shadow sneak and just OHKO what you can and destiny bond what you can't, but I need to start breeding one to try it for myself.

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Well, I wasn't expecting to see a Servine today...

Servine @ Eviolite?
Ability: Contrary
Moves:
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse?
- Leech Seed?
- Glare?

Not sure why you'd run Servine over Serperior... Maybe the difference in power is negligible at +6 and the added bulk proves to be useful?

G2QG-WWWW-WW2Q-X7MB

Last edited:
Well, I wasn't expecting to see a Servine today...

Servine @ Eviolite?
Ability: Contrary
Moves:
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse?
- Leech Seed?
- ?

Not sure why you'd run Servine over Serperior... Maybe the difference in power is negligible at +6 and the added bulk proves to be useful?

G2QG-WWWW-WW2Q-X7MB
Nah, that person is just silly. Serperior's speed and being able to hold Sash or Rocky Helmet make it a much much better choice.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean yeah it's pretty silly but Servine does have a bit more bulk than Serperior, if you combine that with Glare then the drop in speed doesn't really matter (except for getting up Reflect before being hit). I still think the passive damage from the Rocky Helmet is more helpful than the extra bulk, and it isn't outright crippled by Knock Off. Pretty interesting idea lol

Even though Serperior doesn't run max/max I used it anyway so the calcs were comparable

Garchomp:
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Serperior: 99-118 (54.3 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Servine: 78-94 (46.7 - 56.2%) -- 71.5% chance to 2HKO
Kangaskhan:
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Serperior: 124-146 (68.1 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Servine: 97-115 (58 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Talonflame:
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Serperior: 159-190 (87.3 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Servine: 127-151 (76 - 90.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think even with glare the loss of speed still matters cause you're not gonna be glaring everything under the sun. Serperior has great speed even without spreading para so it's much easier to do its job, and it can use glare just whenever it needs to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)