SM Doubles OU wanderlust.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion

give me a reason

you know that i'm leavin'

intro

sup. I'm Memoric. I do stuff for SM Doubles OU : )

Another RMT, nice. I've seen ppl do these kind of team retirement rmts and figured, "hey, why not me hehe fam," but considering it's like a week and a half past the suspect result... that's just how I roll. Anyway, I just wanted to take a spot for one of my favorite personal teams in a since-past period of SM DOU, a team that was built sometime a few weeks before the start of the Jirachi suspect and has been in use for whatever personal want until the Mega Kangaskhan ban; in particular, I've used this in two SPL games (won both, though I did have some luck in the first one :[ ), to get reqs in both the Jirachi and Mega Kangaskhan suspect tests, for some bored laddering, and whatever in between. Of course, since Mega Kangaskhan is now banned and this team has Mega Kangaskhan, this team is obviously going to be retired. rip.

The team was built sometime during the SPL Midseason week, one of a few random builds that I was trying out to possibly use against MajorBowman the following week. It really only took around 5 minutes to build, give or take, as the initial concept was mostly spitballed, and whatever came from that was kept almost entirely of the team's existence; I only really made minor changes to EVs, like "this point should be here" and stuff like that. How I somehow managed to build something like this from what was essentially a bathroom break is amusing, personally. After asking my teammates frania and Nido-Rus in our SPL chat for thoughts and some tests here and there, the rest is history.

Personally, with the team's style of play, general fun vibe, and nifty use of low-ranked (in the VR) mons in Ferrothorn, Volcanion, and Hydreigon, it has become one of my personal faves. This is a team that really just capitalizes a lot of "generally good matchups" with its nifty dynamic of having pieces that can play defensively and at the same time break many foes down. Between Mega Kangaskhan, Ferrothorn, and Volcanion alone, I have a core that can play a bit defensively, if not reactively, and then break anything in front of it thanks to their MO being useful to a lot of threats in general; Seismic Toss, whittling with Leech Seed, and strong 4-move coverage with Fire / Water STABs are all capable of softening up a nice assortment of threats on their own. In addition, I also have nifty offensive pieces in Hydreigon, Tapu Koko, and Landorus-T, all of which also are capable of taking on a lot of stuff and generally place down general utility with their Speed, positioning moves in U-turn and Volt Switch, ability to check certain specific stuff, etc. As a whole, though, what's notable about this team is that it's just loaded against certain team styles; for TR, I can play to their pace with Mega Kangaskhan, Ferrothorn, Volcanion, and Hydreigon as I constantly break them down; for rain, I can rely on Ferrothorn + Volcanion securing that matchup immensely; and for TapuFini-centred builds, the whole team can pitch in as it's just stacked versus the duo and is capable of just breaking them down. With plenty of of good matchups in store, a solid defensive backbone, and the ability to keep up positioning with Landorus-T and Tapu Koko, this is a team that's simply capable of capitalizing, especially considering how directly threatening they are even with the all the bulk

I want to use Mega Kangaskhan + Ferrothorn!!!

I need to check Fire-types and Aegislash lol :thinking:.

I need speed control. Aegislash and Ghost-types in general still look really dangerous too. More resists / Fire checks is also quite fun.

This team is slow and needs a boost offensively. Having a Tapu for terrain control is also nice.

When has using a Landorus-T ever been the wrong choice? It also gives the team support versus Zygarde and opposing Landorus-T while also providing another offensive piece thanks to its speed and good overall coverage.

team

hot milk (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect

Mega Kangaskhan is one of the team's starting points and is pretty much the anchor of this squad. With the EVs placed mostly on defensive stats that are quite high already, the spread specifically aimed at making a LO Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko a 3HKO, it can function as a defensive check to most threats that I need it to. It also works as the team's main offensive option with Seismic Toss, which breaks down pretty much every threat thanks to Parental Bond (Seismic Toss deals the full 100 for both hits). It can do all that while also having nice recovery of its own with Wish, giving it longevity as it does its tanking and spanking. Mega Kangaskhan is pretty much doing it all for the team in terms of functioning as a reliable all-around answer to, well, everything; it's one of my main ways to get past through defensive cores with the constant damage regardless of type effectiveness, and it's also my most reliable defensive piece that's nifty for stalling certain positions and forcing threats out. It also has Fake Out in its arsenal, which is nifty as the team really likes a turn where it can position much more freely considering the nature of it as a whole; some have suggested Substitute over it, which is nice but it makes the set more independent and offer less to the team overall, I felt. The Speed EVs let it outrun Choice Scarf Victinis in Tailwind if ever, also letting it outrun Choice Scarf Genesect, Landorus-T, and Tapu Lele by extension.

walking on snow (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 32 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

The other starting point of the team, Ferrothorn serves as a nifty pivot and wincon in games. With its high bulk, nifty typing, good attacking stats + coverage, and Leech Seed, it's capable of breaking down opposing threats / teams while also having ridiculous staying power. While it is compared to Celesteela quite a lot (and this comparison is a good reason why it's not used much, even now), it has specific traits of its own that make it a good pick regardless: Grass typing which lets it take on Rain and Electric-types such as Zapdos and Tapu Koko, its strong dual coverage, the lower Speed for opposing Trick Room, and Iron Barbs, which was nifty for warding off opposing Mega Kangaskhan at the time and still is for catching some stray physical hits. Ferrothorn functions as a nifty check to a lot of stuff basically, Psychic Spam, FiniZap, Zygarde, Tapu Koko, and Rain in particular. Also, if the opponent's Fire-type move mon gets taken out, Ferrothorn becomes capable of winning games right there through breaking with Leech Seed, which is f-u-n. The moveset needs no explanation. Lefties is used because more longevity is nifty. The spread lets it 2HKO the bulkiest of Tapu Finis, makes 60 Atk Mega Salamence DEdge a 3HKO factoring in Lefties, and dumps in Special Defense because most relevant threats are special attackers; however, this spread is a bit flawed and didn't age well so I don't recommend anyone stealing it lol.

fizzy resort (Volcanion) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 96 SpD / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The MVP, Volcanion is pretty much just another pivot. Still, while it does serve more of a supporting cast role, its ability to take a good number of attacks that I need it to and hit back with its high power and solid coverage is quite a key part of how this team works. It's essentially a slow-ish very bulky breaker, if one will. Volcanion was specifically picked for covering the matchup against Fire-types and Aegislash, and with an Assault Vest on and invesment on overall bulk, it becomes adept not only at taking hits from the very threats it's supposed to cover but also at blanket checking pretty much the meta as a whole as its typing also lends it some nifty resists. The moveset is pretty much two STAB moves then simply coverage; Sludge Bomb hits Fairy-types such as the Tapus and maybe other Water-types, and Hidden Power Ice is coverage for Dragon-types such as Zygarde and Mega Salamence, though hitting Landorus-T much more reliably is nifty too. The spread lets Volcanion take a Life Orb Thunderbolt from Tapu Koko as it holds an Assault Vest, allows it to outrun neutral-natured Deoxys-A if it's in Tailwind, and dumps in Special Attack.

Capuccino (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- Protect

While Hydreigon is pretty much the most expendable member of the team, the stuff that it brings to the table is still pretty useful overall. Aside from being another body to throw around thanks to its decent bulk and assorted resistances, Hydreigon also has use in the sense that it carries the team's speed control option in Tailwind, useful in times when I want to go on the offensive or want to simply keep myself leveled when it comes to Speed games. It also functions as the team's second true offensive piece as its Draco Meteor can and will sting; while Tapu Fini can be annoying, the team is stacked against it anyway so it's nbd. In particular, it also backs up various matchups, notably versus Mega Gengar, Aegislash, Zygarde, Hoopa-U, and Fire-types. The moveset isn't that hard to get and the spread + item simply fulfills the goal of maximizing offensive potential, outrunning Kyurem-B and fast non-Scarf Tapu Lele.

sweetheart (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Tapu Koko stands as the most reliable offensive cog in the team thanks to its blazing Speed and threatening damage potential. Its real job is really to be the guy that applies pressure to opposing teams, possibly breaking some pieces here and there but mostly capitalizing with Volt Switch, which lets me position with something else and ensuring that I'm the one in the driver's seat; considering the overall vibe of the team, the notable chip damage Volt Switch provides + the positioning it brings is quite nifty to have. It can also function as the team's way of breaking stuff when needed, considering how its solid coverage + power lets it give certain pieces such as Tapu Fini and Zygarde (if chipped a bit) the hands, and its high Speed + power lets it keep certain pieces such as Mega Salamence, Mega Metagross, Skymin, and Mega Charizard at bay. Tapu Koko also serves as a nifty way of controlling terrain if needed, though it's nbd. Thundebolt is for power STAB, Volt for utility STAB, and Hidden Power Ice is because sniping non-Scarf Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Mega Salamence is quite important + Dazzling Gleam is hella ass. Spread is because offensive potential is important, 29 HP IVs is for the Life Orb thing that gets nifty at times but rarely matters lol.

white day (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Choice Scarf Landorus-T pretty much serves the same utility role it does for literally every other team one can use it in. Simply put, it just makes a lot of matchups better thanks to the broad applications a package of high Speed, solid coverage and offenses, decent bulk, and Intimidate has. In particular, the Speed this set provides is very useful for the team as it provides another option for playing fast, and at the same time Landorus-T keeps the team dynamic of being able to match up against a lot of threats all around. In terms of matchups, Landorus-T keeps Zygarde at bay as it can't just go keep boosting its Attack to win, and it also keeps certain stuff such as Tyranitar, Mega Charizard, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross on lock... though really, Landorus-T can be used to check anything and it'd take too much space if I listed nearly the whole VR. The moveset is simply, really, with EQ and Rock Slide there to hit some stuff, U-turn to position and keep the pace up (important), and Hidden Power Ice is because, at the time, I was dedicated to checking Zygarde, Mega Salamence, and Landorus-T. In another life, I might have used Superpower as it's a decent reliable single-target move and it also hits Tyranitar, but I'll list HP Ice here for the sake of records and all.

conclusion

so yeah, there's my team. It's a winner, I promise. Good riddance Mega Kangaskhan, been lit.

This team could possibly work with either Mega Salamence or Mega Gengar over Mega Kangaskhan. I don't know, I haven't tried. Mega Salamence + something over Hydreigon is possible, and just slapping a Mega Gengar there can work too (doubt it).

I don't normally do shoutouts but this team probably wouldn't be the same if not for the multiple tests battles Nido-Rus did with me versus this team. If not for those battles, I probably wouldn't have had used this as much, if at all. Thanks a lot for giving me the confidence to use this team, fam : )

While I'm at this slippery slope, might as well take the moment to give a shoutout to certain people: talkingtree, for making me occasionally productive; kamikaze, for being a cool co-TL who makes sure I don't screw up too much; and shaian, because if not for him, I wouldn't be at the position that I am today in terms of contributing to the site. I don't have any groupies, so only a few people here : (, though I can't put on my mind the name of one more person...

I guess it's true that no one remembers the names of the trampled flowers.

hot milk (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 HP / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fake Out
- Seismic Toss
- Wish
- Protect

walking on snow (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Atk / 32 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

fizzy resort (Volcanion) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SpA / 96 SpD / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Steam Eruption
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Capuccino (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Tailwind
- Protect

sweetheart (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Protect

white day (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Listed here are replays for fun : ), listed chronologically. If you search with the usernames, you'll find other fites but those were boring.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7doublesou-250644 - The Debut Battle. vs MajorBowman, SPL W5
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesoususpecttest-546102078 - vs talkingtree, Jirachi Suspect
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-544991322 - vs Matt, fun laddering
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesou-547681302 - vs dude with LO Deo-A, fun laddering
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7doublesubers-259620 - vs Croven, SPL W9
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesoususpecttest-558906120 - vs Arcticblast, Mega Kangaskhan Suspect
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesoususpecttest-558965668 - vs a good player, Mega Kangaskhan Suspect
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesoususpecttest-558990509 - vs frania, Mega Kangaskhan suspect
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7doublesubers-562401401 - Last game. vs Highways, Spring Seasonals R1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)